ImageImage

Appropriately early 2020 NBA Draft Thread

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

What would you like to see the Hawks do with the #6 pick?

Trade the Pick for a vet
17%
Trade into the top 3
27%
Trade for later/future picks
13%
Draft Best Player Available
13%
Draft TYRESE HALIBURTON
10%
Draft ONYEKA OKONGWU
10%
Draft ISAAC OKORO
No votes
Draft KILLIAN HAYES
10%

Total votes: 30

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,492

Re: Appropriately early 2020 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#1001 » by Jamaaliver » Sun Nov 8, 2020 7:10 pm

HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,005

Post#1002 » by HMFFL » Mon Nov 9, 2020 7:13 am

Jonathan Wasserman writes about the upcoming draft but doesn't mention Atlanta.

Multiple sources have told Bleacher Report the name they keep hearing now for the Timberwolves is James Wiseman. “Some within the Golden State Warriors think Wiseman is going No. 1, whether Minnesota keeps the pick or not,” one source plugged into the conversation said.

It’s an intriguing development given the obvious questions about whether Wiseman and Karl-Anthony Towns can play together. However, sources also say the Charlotte Hornets “want Wiseman badly,” a plausible belief given the team’s established backcourt and need for a big man.

A source told Bleacher Report there is a rumor circulating that Warriors ownership could pressure the front office to select Ball if Wiseman is gone. Another source close to Golden State indicates there are both pro-Ball and anti-Ball voices inside the front office.

Trading down is still on the table for Golden State, though it’s unclear how low general manager Bob Myers is willing to drop and what he’d be looking for in a deal. Aside from the team being reportedly “blown away” by Deni Avdija’s workout, sources say the Warriors are also high on wing Devin Vassell if they were to trade down.

Buzz on Okongwu had been quiet through October. League sources now tell Bleacher Report he met with the Cleveland Cavaliers this week after meeting with the Hornets, San Antonio Spurs and Washington Wizards. A league source told Bleacher Report the Wizards would be thrilled if Okongwu falls to them at No. 9, his perceived draft floor.

There has been a lot of buzz about the Detroit Pistons’ interest in Patrick Williams. If Tyrese Haliburton is gone, Williams could be the favorite at No. 7. That situation is reflected in our latest mock draft.

– via Jonathan Wasserman @ Bleacher Report

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2916758-2020-nba-draft-buzz-is-a-new-no-1-pick-emerging

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#1003 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Nov 9, 2020 2:39 pm

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#1004 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Nov 9, 2020 2:43 pm

Read on Twitter
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#1005 » by HMFFL » Mon Nov 9, 2020 10:39 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
Read on Twitter
And a few bust

HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#1006 » by HMFFL » Mon Nov 9, 2020 10:40 pm

6. Atlanta Hawks: Tyrese Haliburton, G, Iowa State

Measurables: 6-foot-5, 175 pounds

Team Needs 
The Hawks can score and their brand of basketball is at least somewhat entertaining. They have a number one option in Trae Young and John Collins is a nice secondary scorer. Adding Clint Capella and Dewayne Dedmon at the deadline added depth to the front line and they have some promising young scorers in Kevin Huerter, Cam Reddish and De’Andre Hunter. They could use depth at wing and power forward, plus someone who plays defense.

Why Haliburton?
We’ve had Isaac Okoro at this spot for a while, but Haliburton is gaining steam. He’s one of the more versatile players in this season’s draft and he can really stuff a stat-sheet. Haliburton has proven he can play off the ball, but he can also take some of the ballhandling duties off of Young’s plate and let him roam around the perimeter. While he needs to get stronger to hold his own as an individual defender, Haliburton plays the passing lanes well and is a good team defender.

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/warriors/2020-nba-mock-draft-200-first-round-pick-projections-after-finals
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#1007 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Nov 10, 2020 4:07 am

How does this guy compare to Brandon Clarke?

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#1008 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Nov 10, 2020 4:09 am

This dude reminds me of Darius Miles/Tyrus Thomas/Stromile Swift.

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#1009 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Nov 10, 2020 4:11 am

Read on Twitter
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#1010 » by HMFFL » Tue Nov 10, 2020 4:31 am

Jamaaliver wrote:
Read on Twitter
I still expect Edwards to go #1, too.
There has been so much smoke going on it's difficult to gauge what teams are going to do.

Spud2nique
General Manager
And1: 5,135

Post#1011 » by Spud2nique » Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:44 am

HMFFL wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:
Read on Twitter
I still expect Edwards to go #1, too.
There has been so much smoke going on it's difficult to gauge what teams are going to do.

Sounds like Wiseman.
D21
Assistant Coach
And1: 658

Post#1012 » by D21 » Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:19 am

If both Haliburton and Hayes can offer a fix on PG defense and rotation (even PG/SG rotation), we keep our 6th pick and they go both at 4th and 5th, I will be a little bit disappointed...
Spud2nique
General Manager

Post#1013 » by Spud2nique » Tue Nov 10, 2020 4:23 pm

Please no Shellhead promises. I haven’t made a promise to anyone since 2006 due to that incident. I like Okoro a lot but I’m hoping this promise isn’t from Schlenk.

Chris Fedor: I talked to multiple executives over the last couple of days… This isn’t confirmed… But there is a belief that Isaac Okoro has a promise. – via Hayden Grove @ Cleveland Plain Dealer
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#1014 » by HMFFL » Tue Nov 10, 2020 4:46 pm

Spud2nique wrote:Please no Shellhead promises. I haven’t made a promise to anyone since 2006 due to that incident. I like Okoro a lot but I’m hoping this promise isn’t from Schlenk.

Chris Fedor: I talked to multiple executives over the last couple of days… This isn’t confirmed… But there is a belief that Isaac Okoro has a promise. – via Hayden Grove @ Cleveland Plain Dealer
This mock was released 3hrs ago and has us selecting him.

6. Atlanta Hawks - Isaac Okoro, W/F, Auburn
Atlanta drafted two wings — DeAndre Hunter and Cam Reddish — in the top-10 last year, so adding another one may not seem like the best use of a high draft pick, but Isaac Okoro’s elite defensive versatility and underrated playmaking complement the rest of Atlanta’s roster well. If he can reach even league-average percentages from the 3-point and free throw lines he’ll be fine; he takes the right shots and he won’t be a high-usage player in the NBA anyway. The Hawks need to surround Trae Young with as many switchable perimeter defenders and off-ball cutters as possible and those will be two of Okoro’s best skills as a rookie.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.atthehive.com/platform/amp/2020/11/10/21549581/nba-mock-draft-2020-volume-5-charlotte-hornets

Spud2nique
General Manager

Post#1015 » by Spud2nique » Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:00 pm

HMFFL wrote:
Spud2nique wrote:Please no Shellhead promises. I haven’t made a promise to anyone since 2006 due to that incident. I like Okoro a lot but I’m hoping this promise isn’t from Schlenk.

This mock was released 3hrs ago and has us selecting him.

6. Atlanta Hawks - Isaac Okoro, W/F, Auburn
Atlanta drafted two wings — DeAndre Hunter and Cam Reddish — in the top-10 last year, so adding another one may not seem like the best use of a high draft pick, but Isaac Okoro’s elite defensive versatility and underrated playmaking complement the rest of Atlanta’s roster well. If he can reach even league-average percentages from the 3-point and free throw lines he’ll be fine; he takes the right shots and he won’t be a high-usage player in the NBA anyway. The Hawks need to surround Trae Young with as many switchable perimeter defenders and off-ball cutters as possible and those will be two of Okoro’s best skills as a rookie.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.atthehive.com/platform/amp/2020/11/10/21549581/nba-mock-draft-2020-volume-5-charlotte-hornets

I don’t mind selecting him but I absolutely hate unnecessary promises. When you do that you lose so much negotiation leverage it’s a joke.

Having said like Okoro will not bust that’s for sure. Dude is the modern day Alvin Robertson. He’s going to be up there in defensive measurements and rankings for the next 10 years. He’s an alpha I don’t mind.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#1016 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Nov 11, 2020 3:31 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
tbhawksfan1
Analyst
And1: 2,031

Post#1017 » by tbhawksfan1 » Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:44 pm

If we pick at #6 I"m happy with any of Hali, OO, Okoro. At least one of them will be there and they all look like very solid mid lottery pick.
Spud2nique
General Manager

Post#1018 » by Spud2nique » Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:53 am

He say Demi? :roll:

Read on Twitter
?s=20
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#1019 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:25 pm

Read on Twitter

1. Jordan Nwora

Nwora is a Lottery-level prospect that, inexplicably, still seems more likely to come off the board in the second round. The team that wakes up and selects him before their competitors are going to be rewarded with a high-level starter in time.

The former Louisville standout isn’t an electric athlete, but he is one of the most skilled players in this class. He was devastatingly effective for the Cardinals during his collegiate career. Nwora shot a shade over 40 percent from behind the 3-point arc which makes him a plus shooter at either the small or power forward position.

The more intriguing aspect of Nwora’s game is his ability to create with the ball in his hands. He was a true alpha dog during his days at Louisville. He won’t be asked to shoulder that kind of load at the next level, but it does mean he can be one of the best secondary playmakers in the league if he lands with the right team.

Teams drafting in the second round should rush to the virtual podium to beat their competition to Nwora. He’s the rare prospect who can be had at that stage in the draft who can develop into something resembling an All-Star. Nwora is going to make one general manager look very intelligent in this year’s draft.
D21
Assistant Coach
And1: 658

Post#1020 » by D21 » Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:45 pm

The Minnesota Timberwolves appear to prefer to trade down rather than make the first overall pick.
Sources say the Wolves love Tyrese Haliburton and he could be their target if they move out of the top-3, or up from No. 17.

The working assumption amongst the league is that the Wolves will select LaMelo Ball if they keep the top pick. Haliburton would likely be a better fit than Ball with D'Angelo Russell given his ability to play off the ball.
The Wolves had a private workout with Ball this week.
Link : https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/260212/Wolves-Love-Tyrese-Haliburton-If-They-Move-Down-From-No-1

Nice challenge for Schlenk here : may require to move in the top 4 first to be sure to get Haliburton, then another trade from 4 to 1 ;)
But is it worth the cost ?...

Return to Atlanta Hawks