ImageImageImageImageImage

Andrew Wiggins one of Warriors' 'core four' players, Bob Myers says

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

jason bourne
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,602

Re: Andrew Wiggins one of Warriors' 'core four' players, Bob Myers says 

Post#141 » by jason bourne » Sun Nov 8, 2020 4:22 am

Coxy wrote:Add in Malik Beasley's arrest for brandishing a gun and drug possession to the rest of the Wolves rumours, and that mess is the Minny pick gift that is going to keep on giving. :lol:

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/29984989/minnesota-timberwolves-guard-malik-beasley-facing-felony-weapons-drug-charges

He could also face felonious child abuse by pointing a gun towards his 19-mth old son. This guy is nuts.

++++++++

In better news, it seems Andrew Wiggins has improved his handle and his trainer thinks he can get anywhere on the court for his shot with the Warriors. This could mean he'll have a better shot and may be able to create his shot better. We'll have to see. No question, he has put in the work in the off-season.

Wiggins also leads to a story of Anthony Edwards with the Timberwolves I found in comparing him to Andrew Wiggins. It was an summer story, but we get some comparison of Edwards with Wiggins and also see the badness of Wiggins with the TWolves (it talks about his ball handling) --

Is Anthony Edwards Really The Next Andrew Wiggins?
https://www.canishoopus.com/2020/7/17/21322373/is-anthony-edwards-really-the-next-andrew-wiggins-nba-offseason
“The most contrarian thing of all is not to oppose the crowd but to think for yourself.” Peter Thiel

ImageImage
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#142 » by Mylie10 » Sun Nov 8, 2020 7:32 am

Wiggins problem for Minnesota was mostly poor shot selection. Mostly due to the need for him to score. Inefficient shooting killed his numbers.

Also defensively he was consistent enough.

Had nothing to do with his handle lol. Everyone should always work on their handle, but his was fine and so was his footwork. It certainly wasn’t the reason for the way he’s perceived.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
Quazza
Head Coach
And1: 1,727

Post#143 » by Quazza » Tue Nov 10, 2020 4:47 am

Mylie10 wrote:Wiggins problem for Minnesota was mostly poor shot selection. Mostly due to the need for him to score. Inefficient shooting killed his numbers.

Had nothing to do with his handle lol. Everyone should always work on their handle, but his was fine and so was his footwork. It certainly wasn’t the reason for the way he’s perceived.

I reckon going from 1a or 1b in Min, to a clear #3 behind Steph and Klay is going to do wonders for him
KevinMcreynolds wrote:BIG DICK BOB DOIN WORK

KGdaBom wrote:You can go back and read every post I made. Never said one bad thing about one person until Coxy came up with his Vagiclean comment
cpower
RealGM
And1: 7,148

Post#144 » by cpower » Tue Nov 10, 2020 4:59 am

Quazza wrote:
Mylie10 wrote:Wiggins problem for Minnesota was mostly poor shot selection. Mostly due to the need for him to score. Inefficient shooting killed his numbers.

I reckon going from 1a or 1b in Min, to a clear #3 behind Steph and Klay is going to do wonders for him

well thats a lot of money for a 3# scorer... why cant we find someone cheaper and use the money to fix other part of weakness..
jason bourne
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,602

Post#145 » by jason bourne » Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:09 am

cpower wrote:
Quazza wrote:

well thats a lot of money for a 3# scorer... why cant we find someone cheaper and use the money to fix other part of weakness..

I don't want an expiring Kelly Oubre as he'll want the max, too. Ws may as well see how Wiggins does with Steph, Klay, and Dray as he looks to have improved his handle and shot looks smooth so can better hit from 3-pt land. He's always been fit, has size, can rebound, and now be more of a facilitator at the 3. His steals and blocks went up in his time with the Warriors. I rather see him play SF that Klay as he's bigger. Will he be able to play inside? I dunno. He can take the ball to the hoop tho.
“The most contrarian thing of all is not to oppose the crowd but to think for yourself.” Peter Thiel

ImageImage
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,023

Post#146 » by Scoots1994 » Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:40 am

cpower wrote:
Quazza wrote:

Sure it is, but that's really the issue with Wiggins. The Warriors won a title with Barnes and Wiggins to me is definitely better than Barnes. The issue is the contract.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,023

Post#147 » by Scoots1994 » Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:43 am

Wiggins does have a shaky handle in iso situations, so it showed up a lot with the Wolves. Not so important with the Warriors.
cpower
RealGM

Post#148 » by cpower » Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:08 pm

Scoots1994 wrote:
cpower wrote:
Quazza wrote:

Sure it is, but that's really the issue with Wiggins. The Warriors won a title with Barnes and Wiggins to me is definitely better than Barnes. The issue is the contract.

Barnes is a better player. 1 he can defend mutiple positions 2 he can shoot threes (failed in 2016 but still way better %)
steveshikadance
Freshman
And1: 32

Post#149 » by steveshikadance » Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:13 pm

cpower wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:
cpower wrote:well thats a lot of money for a 3# scorer... why cant we find someone cheaper and use the money to fix other part of weakness..

Barnes is a better player. 1 he can defend mutiple positions 2 he can shoot threes (failed in 2016 but still way better %)

Wiggins can guard 1-4, more athletic, more explosive, better lob threat
cpower
RealGM

Post#150 » by cpower » Fri Nov 13, 2020 12:20 am

steveshikadance wrote:
cpower wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:

on paper....which means nothing. he played 6 years and did not impress anyone and did not make an impact playing for Wolves.
Little Digger
Head Coach
And1: 2,710

Post#151 » by Little Digger » Fri Nov 13, 2020 12:25 am

cpower wrote:
steveshikadance wrote:
cpower wrote:Barnes is a better player. 1 he can defend mutiple positions 2 he can shoot threes (failed in 2016 but still way better %)

on paper....which means nothing. he played 6 years and did not impress anyone and did not make an impact playing for Wolves.
all the warriors need to do then, is cover the court with paper.
ILOVEIT—Good 'ol Bob. Two things that will survive the next apocalypse - Cockroaches and Fitz.
GQ Hot Dog
General Manager
And1: 5,016

Post#152 » by GQ Hot Dog » Fri Nov 13, 2020 1:22 am

cpower wrote:
steveshikadance wrote:
cpower wrote:Barnes is a better player. 1 he can defend mutiple positions 2 he can shoot threes (failed in 2016 but still way better %)

All that's true but many Warriors fans, after watching him with us last season coupled with confidence in the ability of our coaching staff to put him in the best position to succeed, are of the belief that his strengths will be maximized and his weaknesses minimized in our system as opposed to the TWolves.

And that's a reasonable assumption. We're one of the premiere orgs in the NBA and the TWolves are one of the worst. If we're right and Wiggins is a central cog in the Warriors contending I hope nobody expresses surprise and says nobody could have seen it coming. Because many of us did see it coming.
The hottest of takes...
Jester_ wrote:Hot take: Moses Moody shows the potential to be a star/#2 option ala Lauri Markkanen. Both the eye test and the advanced stats show a player with extremely high slope.
Little Digger
Head Coach

Post#153 » by Little Digger » Fri Nov 13, 2020 1:50 am

For me it comes down to Wiggins shooting..I’m sure the warriors have expressed to him that it must improve ..I love Wiggins fit here, but he could be so much more with a respectable 3pt shot
ILOVEIT—Good 'ol Bob. Two things that will survive the next apocalypse - Cockroaches and Fitz.
michaelm
RealGM
And1: 4,795

Post#154 » by michaelm » Fri Nov 13, 2020 3:56 am

cpower wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:
cpower wrote:well thats a lot of money for a 3# scorer... why cant we find someone cheaper and use the money to fix other part of weakness..

Barnes lost GSW a title, followed by being a hard trier but basically an overpaid journeyman elsewhere. I don’t believe Wiggins can be worse than Barnes was in the 2016 play-offs, and don’t consider it entirely unreasonable to hope with others that he can be better in one of the best cultures in the NBA as opposed to one of the worst. We shall see, not all that long to wait now.
ILOVEIT
RealGM
And1: 3,405

Post#155 » by ILOVEIT » Fri Nov 13, 2020 5:23 am

cpower wrote:
steveshikadance wrote:

I don't get this take...?

I watched him beat the Warriors almost by himself. The guys scored just about as many 40 plus games as Klay did in the previous year. How is that not having impact on the game and not impressing anyone?
2021/22 - The return of the Ring.
Frozzy
Starter
And1: 2,021

Post#156 » by Frozzy » Fri Nov 13, 2020 5:30 am

Barnes' performance in the 2016 Finals while demanding money was unforgiveable. We still have to hear about 2016 Curry/Warriors slander largely because of Harrison's choke job while being ignored :banghead:

I agree there is a lot left to be seen when it comes to making an impact on a winning team but give Wiggins a chance when this team is healthy.
Ilovethebay
Senior
And1: 166

Post#157 » by Ilovethebay » Fri Nov 13, 2020 6:27 am

I swear, only here can one horrible postseason carry more weight than a whole career. Maybe you guys are right : One of the most overpaid inefficient guys in the league with a rap for not "trying" on defense to boot is better than the guy who helped us set a NBA record 73 win season. No...., actually you're wrong and practically every realm poster (except the ones who post here) knows it.Men lie ,women lie, numbers don't.
steveshikadance
Freshman
And1: 32

Post#158 » by steveshikadance » Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:21 am

:oops:
Ilovethebay wrote:I swear, only here can one horrible postseason carry more weight than a whole career. Maybe you guys are right : One of the most overpaid inefficient guys in the league with a rap for not "trying" on defense to boot is better than the guy who helped us set a NBA record 73 win season. No...., actually you're wrong and practically every realm poster (except the ones who post here) knows it.Men lie ,women lie, numbers don't.

Just by the numbers Wiggins has averaged more Assists, Steals and Blocks in his career, played with far inferior teammates and organization, better shooter/scorer than Barnes fron 0-16 ft, shot a better career percentage from corner 3s, is a better 1 on 1 scorer based on unassisted points and percentages, if you honestly think Wiggins wouldn't have contributed as much or more to the Earriors 73 win season you are the delusional one
michaelm
RealGM
And1: 4,795

Post#159 » by michaelm » Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:15 am

Ilovethebay wrote:I swear, only here can one horrible postseason carry more weight than a whole career. Maybe you guys are right : One of the most overpaid inefficient guys in the league with a rap for not "trying" on defense to boot is better than the guy who helped us set a NBA record 73 win season. No...., actually you're wrong and practically every realm poster (except the ones who post here) knows it.Men lie ,women lie, numbers don't.

Yes, and his numbers post GSW have not been spectacular, and he definitely hasn't proven himself to be worth the money he wanted to stay at GSW, which was significantly more than Dray and Klay had recently signed for, which was rather the problem. Another problem was that imo while a pretty good small ball PF, particularly defensively, he was a fairly average SF, and GSW had another fairly good small ball PF who was a playmaker to boot.

I was a Barnes partisan and wanted some deal to be done to keep him at GSW ahead of even Durant when Durant joining was first mooted, but his performances in the 2016 play-offs, and subsequently, convinced me that those who had argued his limitations as a player were correct and that I had been wrong. As has been said, his contribution to the 73 regular season wins, which was handy but far from primary, is rather outweighed by the conclusion to that season for many GSW fans, which culminated in a finals loss in which he was rather pivotal; if he had shot 30% taking unguarded shots GSW quite likely would have won. And it was the earnest wish of the many fans of other teams, Lebron fans in particular, that GSW go forward with Barnes rather than Durant, so I am not sure their assessments of his quality should be taken as particularly unbiased.
Little Digger
Head Coach

Post#160 » by Little Digger » Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:50 am

michaelm wrote:
cpower wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:

Barnes lost GSW a title, followed by being a hard trier but basically an overpaid journeyman elsewhere. I don’t believe Wiggins can be worse than Barnes was in the 2016 play-offs, and don’t consider it entirely unreasonable to hope with others that he can be better in one of the best cultures in the NBA as opposed to one of the worst. We shall see, not all that long to wait now.

Without Barnes, the warriors don’t win their first title in 40 years..He came through on the biggest stage..I’ll even bet you’ve forgotten all his clutch moments in 2015..But Yes he slumped at exactly the wrong time in 2016..

Return to Golden State Warriors