ImageImageImageImage

Around the NBA, 2020/21 Edition

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

Xatticus
Head Coach
And1: 7,936

Re: Around the NBA, 2019/20 Edition 

Post#1161 » by Xatticus » Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:05 pm

pepe1991 wrote:
Xatticus wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:How da hell league planns to start new season without bubble? Players will be getting covid left and right and fans will still not be in arena?

I would guess that they are banking on herd immunity by that point, which seems increasingly likely given our current situation.

Herd immunity is already proven to be myth
https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-02948-4

There are also cases of same people being infected more than once.

To the former, it isn't a myth. It is statistics. I'm not advocating for such an approach, but it is our current trajectory. This doesn't mean that you have eliminated the danger, but rather that the risks are mitigated by the fact that the majority of the damage has already been done. There is less risk of property damage if the building has already been razed. This won't eradicate the virus until the fuel (population) is entirely spent or until the number of current cases dwindles to zero.

The the latter, we don't know. We won't know until we know. You would certainly expect such reports to be widespread if there was no immunity associated with recovery though.
"Xatticus has always been, in my humble opinion best poster here. Should write articles or something."
-pepe1991
MagicFan101
RealGM
And1: 6,498

Post#1162 » by MagicFan101 » Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:12 pm

pepe1991 wrote:
Xatticus wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:How da hell league planns to start new season without bubble? Players will be getting covid left and right and fans will still not be in arena?

I would guess that they are banking on herd immunity by that point, which seems increasingly likely given our current situation.

Herd immunity is a scientific fact of nature and by no means a myth.

Is herd immunity a wise strategy for a country as large, diverse and overly unhealthy as the United States? ... that is a very different question.
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,125

Post#1163 » by pepe1991 » Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:54 pm

Xatticus wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:
Xatticus wrote:

To the former, it isn't a myth. It is statistics. I'm not advocating for such an approach, but it is our current trajectory. This doesn't mean that you have eliminated the danger, but rather that the risks are mitigated by the fact that the majority of the damage has already been done. There is less risk of property damage if the building has already been razed. This won't eradicate the virus until the fuel (population) is entirely spent or until the number of current cases dwindles to zero.

The the latter, we don't know. We won't know until we know. You would certainly expect such reports to be widespread if there was no immunity associated with recovery though.

But epidemiologists have repeatedly smacked down such ideas. “Surrendering to the virus” is not a defensible plan, says Kristian Andersen, an immunologist at the Scripps Research Institute in La Jolla, California. Such an approach would lead to a catastrophic loss of human lives without necessarily speeding up society’s return to normal, he says. “We have never successfully been able to do it before, and it will lead to unacceptable and unnecessary untold human death and suffering.”

Issue of that approach is what happends if it fails? Complete collapse of health system?

This is why i refered to it as myth (as person who i qouted called whole notion himself, a myth.
It’s a complete myth that you can just let the epidemic rage, protect the vulnerable, and achieve herd immunity. What may happen is…you fill the hospitals, you fill the morgues, and then the next year it happens again,” he says. “You’re not going to get enough people infected to achieve herd immunity and therefore you’ll have done it all for nothing.”

Typically, herd immunity is reached when the majority of people in a population are vaccinated. This threshold varies depending on the disease; about 95 percent of a population must be vaccinated to control an extraordinarily contagious disease like measles. It’s not certain yet what proportion of the population would have to be immune to COVID-19 to prevent the disease from spreading, Hanage says. He estimates that roughly 50 to 66 percent of the population would have to catch COVID-19 to reach herd immunity without a vaccine.

There have been more than 6 million confirmed cases of COVID-19 in the United States and more than 184,000 deaths. For a country with a population of about 330 million people, this means that herd immunity is still a very long ways off. Even cities that were struck hard at the beginning of the pandemic, such as New York, haven’t reached that point. There may be tiny pockets where enough people have been infected that their family members or neighbors are unlikely to catch the disease, Hanage says. But that doesn’t prevent these people from becoming infected when they venture beyond their homes or city blocks.
- Sten Vermund, dean of the Yale School of Public Health.

Most people who use Sweden as example of hands-off strategy don't understand how unpopulated, yet big and cold that country is.
We talk about 10 million people,at average 25 people per kilometer. And in Norrland regions is under snow for months every year with temperature below zero, so it's not like many people will just hang around and get infected there.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
Xatticus
Head Coach

Post#1164 » by Xatticus » Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:59 pm

pepe1991 wrote:
Xatticus wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:

But epidemiologists have repeatedly smacked down such ideas. “Surrendering to the virus” is not a defensible plan, says Kristian Andersen, an immunologist at the Scripps Research Institute in La Jolla, California. Such an approach would lead to a catastrophic loss of human lives without necessarily speeding up society’s return to normal, he says. “We have never successfully been able to do it before, and it will lead to unacceptable and unnecessary untold human death and suffering.”

Issue of that approach is what happends if it fails? Complete collapse of health system?

This is why i refered to it as myth (as person who i qouted called whole notion himself, a myth.
It’s a complete myth that you can just let the epidemic rage, protect the vulnerable, and achieve herd immunity. What may happen is…you fill the hospitals, you fill the morgues, and then the next year it happens again,” he says. “You’re not going to get enough people infected to achieve herd immunity and therefore you’ll have done it all for nothing.”

Typically, herd immunity is reached when the majority of people in a population are vaccinated. This threshold varies depending on the disease; about 95 percent of a population must be vaccinated to control an extraordinarily contagious disease like measles. It’s not certain yet what proportion of the population would have to be immune to COVID-19 to prevent the disease from spreading, Hanage says. He estimates that roughly 50 to 66 percent of the population would have to catch COVID-19 to reach herd immunity without a vaccine.

There have been more than 6 million confirmed cases of COVID-19 in the United States and more than 184,000 deaths. For a country with a population of about 330 million people, this means that herd immunity is still a very long ways off. Even cities that were struck hard at the beginning of the pandemic, such as New York, haven’t reached that point. There may be tiny pockets where enough people have been infected that their family members or neighbors are unlikely to catch the disease, Hanage says. But that doesn’t prevent these people from becoming infected when they venture beyond their homes or city blocks.
- Sten Vermund, dean of the Yale School of Public Health.

Most people who use Sweden as example of hands-off strategy don't understand how unpopulated, yet big and cold that country is.
We talk about 10 million people,at average 25 people per kilometer. And in Norrland regions is under snow for months every year with temperature below zero, so it's not like many people will just hang around and get infected there.

He isn't saying what you seem to think he is saying and I'm not advocating for letting it run rampant. You asked how the league could start next season without a bubble and I made a flippant comment. The reality is probably that they are far less concerned with the potential risks of covid than they are with public perception. They shut down last time because there was a great deal of fear circulating and they did what they felt obligated to do. Now we are in an environment where other sporting events are being held with spectators and with limited protocols in place to contain the spread of the virus. The NBA is going to try to make money if they can. They will get away with whatever they can in an effort to increase revenue.
"Xatticus has always been, in my humble opinion best poster here. Should write articles or something."
-pepe1991
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,273

Post#1165 » by Bensational » Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:20 pm

6ers hire Morey... interesting. Huge offseason for them getting Doc and Morey onboard. That roster is probably in for a huge overhaul.
Xatticus
Head Coach

Post#1166 » by Xatticus » Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:47 pm

Bensational wrote:6ers hire Morey... interesting. Huge offseason for them getting Doc and Morey onboard. That roster is probably in for a huge overhaul.

It's too late. They destroyed their future by promoting Brand. It was bad enough that they let Colangelo force Hinkie out, but Brand sold out their future within the span of a year. Their cap situation is so fubar. The Harris and Horford deals are crippling. Getting out from under either of those deals would cost them too much and they are already short on resources. We saw how things went sour after their disappointing end to this season. Hiring Doc bought that team another year, but if they fail again in similar fashion, one or both of their stars will force their way out. Morey is a gunslinger, but each of his moves took Houston further and further down a one-way street. If they choose to rebuild, they should be fine. They can get a haul for either of Embiid or Simmons. If they try to reconstruct, I'm fairly certain they will fail.
-pepe1991
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1167 » by Bensational » Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:25 am

Xatticus wrote:
Bensational wrote:6ers hire Morey... interesting. Huge offseason for them getting Doc and Morey onboard. That roster is probably in for a huge overhaul.

It's too late. They destroyed their future by promoting Brand. It was bad enough that they let Colangelo force Hinkie out, but Brand sold out their future within the span of a year. Their cap situation is so fubar. The Harris and Horford deals are crippling. Getting out from under either of those deals would cost them too much and they are already short on resources. We saw how things went sour after their disappointing end to this season. Hiring Doc bought that team another year, but if they fail again in similar fashion, one or both of their stars will force their way out. Morey is a gunslinger, but each of his moves took Houston further and further down a one-way street. If they choose to rebuild, they should be fine. They can get a haul for either of Embiid or Simmons. If they try to reconstruct, I'm fairly certain they will fail.

Interesting. I'm pretty confident Morey will flip his way out of the Horford and Harris deals for something better. Ultimately, I think it's a matter of time before be swaps Simmons for Harden.
The Real Dalic
RealGM
And1: 6,985

Post#1168 » by The Real Dalic » Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:56 am

The Sixers are one Ben Simmons trade away from being pretty special.
God. Family. Country. Basketball.
pepe1991
RealGM

Post#1169 » by pepe1991 » Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:05 am

Horford isn't untradable, he has 2 years on his contract BUT in his 3rd year only $14M is guaranteed.

I don't think Ben Simmons ( nor Embiid) are 76ers problem. I think Harris is still valuable player, just ugly overpayed.
Flipping Horford somehow for lead guard or another above average wing would do wonders for that team.

Some future picks and Horford for Buddy Hield? Sounds fine.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,576

Post#1170 » by basketballRob » Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:15 am

Bensational wrote:
Xatticus wrote:

Interesting. I'm pretty confident Morey will flip his way out of the Horford and Harris deals for something better. Ultimately, I think it's a matter of time before be swaps Simmons for Harden.
I could see Chris Paul begging to get traded for Harris, now that they have Doc.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM mobile app
MagicFan101
RealGM

Post#1171 » by MagicFan101 » Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:27 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21
CZ Eddie
Starter
And1: 717

Post#1172 » by CZ Eddie » Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:08 pm

Xatticus wrote:
Bensational wrote: The Harris and Horford deals are crippling. Getting out from under either of those deals would cost them too much and they are already short on resources.

Doc reuniting with Harris should be interesting to watch.
Could we see Harris take another step in his game next year?!
Or at least recover the step he missed last year?

The Horford deal is madness but he is a proven winner and that team still has a chance to do something amazing if Doc plays to each players strengths.
Keep your politics out of my sports
MagicFan101
RealGM

Post#1173 » by MagicFan101 » Tue Nov 3, 2020 5:11 pm

Random ...

I saw a guy at the local grocery store here in Austin, TX yesterday wearing an old, very worn Orlando Magic t-shirt.

This wasn’t a Penny or T-Mac jersey from some random hoops fan. You see those from time to time. This was a t-shirt that this guys probably had from his teenage years. I could connect to that t-shirt. This was a real Magic fan ... in Austin, TX.

If it weren’t for COVID I would have gone up and asked this guy his story.

It made me happy to see proud Magic fans in Mavs / Spurs territory.

I wear my Magic + Noles gear proudly. I see Noles all over Texas. Magic ... not so much.

It’s the little things in life these days ...
pepe1991
RealGM

Post#1174 » by pepe1991 » Wed Nov 4, 2020 7:28 am

can somebody explain to me how this " 76ers go for Harden" goes?
They leak in public " We want Harden"
Houston says no...
So where they go from there? :lol:

Can Magic go for Kawhi and why not? :lol:
sChOlaRlY_Magi
Sixth Man
And1: 343

Post#1175 » by sChOlaRlY_Magi » Wed Nov 4, 2020 8:26 pm

Booker & Hayward want off of their teams. I saw Booker wants to play in Minny, but has anyone heard anything about Gordon?
CZ Eddie
Starter

Post#1176 » by CZ Eddie » Thu Nov 5, 2020 2:25 pm

MagicFan101 wrote:I saw a guy at the local grocery store here in Austin, TX yesterday wearing an old, very worn Orlando Magic t-shirt.

If you ever see someone wearing a Turkoglu jersey, that'll be me. Say hi.
MagicFan101
RealGM

Post#1177 » by MagicFan101 » Thu Nov 5, 2020 2:39 pm

CZ Eddie wrote:
MagicFan101 wrote:I saw a guy at the local grocery store here in Austin, TX yesterday wearing an old, very worn Orlando Magic t-shirt.

In Austin!?
CZ Eddie
Starter

Post#1178 » by CZ Eddie » Thu Nov 5, 2020 11:39 pm

MagicFan101 wrote:
CZ Eddie wrote:

In Austin!?

Round Rock mostly
MagicFan101
RealGM

Post#1179 » by MagicFan101 » Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:20 am

Read on Twitter
?s=21

What could the Suns be offering?

Oubre + Rubio?
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1180 » by Bensational » Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:42 am

sChOlaRlY_Magi wrote:Booker & Hayward want off of their teams. I saw Booker wants to play in Minny, but has anyone heard anything about Gordon?

I don't think Booker wants to play in Gordon. Would be a bit of a crap hole... :wink:

Return to Orlando Magic