Re: OT: Investing - Stocks/Mutual Funds/Bonds/Crypto 

Post#1901 » by HaroldinGMinor » Thu Nov 5, 2020 5:46 pm

Holy weed stocks.
jschligs
General Manager
And1: 5,862

Post#1902 » by jschligs » Thu Nov 5, 2020 7:38 pm

SupremeHustle wrote:You guys can just give me money to make hit movies. Invest in me, please.

I have a movie script/idea in progress and not going to lie, it's ****ing genius. I'd share, but I'm afraid of telling too many others. I'd invest my life savings into this damn idea.
Lippo
Lead Assistant
And1: 943

Post#1903 » by Lippo » Sat Nov 7, 2020 2:27 am

Link going moon again, .25 to $13, wooot
DrWood
Head Coach
And1: 2,383

Post#1904 » by DrWood » Mon Nov 9, 2020 11:09 am

I'm a pretty passive, buy and hold investor. Mostly mutual funds, with some stocks I inherited. I might not even check my monthly reports from my brokerages. If I need to liquidate something, I pick something that has given me a loss over the period I've held it, so I don't have tax costs. Recently, I've noticed one of my funds: Direxion Monthly NASDAQ-100 Bull 2X Fund Investor Class DXQLX has gone up more than my other funds. Over the approximately 5-year time frame I've owned it, it has quintupled. It's a leveraged fund, which is why it has gone up more than most. When I check the information on the brokerage I bought it from (Schwab), they suggest leveraged funds aren't suitable for most investors and it's not suitable for long-term investing.
Since it has done so well for me, I probably wouldn't sell it all, but I might take out my initial investment and put that in something more stable.

Anyone want to educate me about leveraged funds?
DrWood
Head Coach
And1: 2,383

Post#1905 » by DrWood » Mon Nov 9, 2020 11:12 am

jschligs wrote:
SupremeHustle wrote:You guys can just give me money to make hit movies. Invest in me, please.

I have a movie script/idea in progress and not going to lie, it's ****ing genius. I'd share, but I'm afraid of telling too many others. I'd invest my life savings into this damn idea.

most ideas are worth about .8333 cents per idea. But yours might be worth more.
HaroldinGMinor
RealGM
And1: 14,584

Post#1906 » by HaroldinGMinor » Mon Nov 9, 2020 2:42 pm

Well it was a good run, Zoom.
machu46
General Manager
And1: 3,633

Post#1907 » by machu46 » Mon Nov 9, 2020 2:50 pm

HaroldinGMinor wrote:Well it was a good run, Zoom.

I tend to think the valuation on that was wayyy out of hand anyways. I'm still happily invested but this seems like a much-needed correction to me.
trwi7 wrote:**** me deep, Giannis. ****. Me. Deep.
hege53190
Head Coach
And1: 2,671

Post#1908 » by hege53190 » Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:40 am

hege53190 wrote:
hege53190 wrote:
Superfito wrote:
I'm no pro but I wouldn't touch any company that's reliant on commercial real estate over the next few years.

I don't know I am more prone to buying companies that are at a deep discount. Both of these stocks have your guys opinions built into them. Discover financial and Synchrony Financial were $80 and $40 before the pandemic. I bought Discover at $30 and now it is hovering around $50. I bought into Synchrony at $15 and now it is hovering around $23.

Before the pandemic STOR was hovering around $40. They dropped to $15. I bought in at $20 a little while ago and it is now at $23.5. IT pays a 1.5% quarterly dividend which it just signed off on and distributed. The dividend has increased by 6% year over year since its inception 6 years ago. They own the store fronts in big cities which they lease to companies. The leases are long term and if a company goes under they still own the valuable real estate which they can lease to another company. It is kind of like getting rich off selling the equipment to gold miners instead of being the gold miner.

These biases that the general public have are really built into the price but if you actually look at the company it has really solid financial footing and kind of a money maker.

Also I am not saying anybody should be taking large positions (3+% of portfolio) in any of these companies. However I think you should have some of your portfolio in discounted stocks. Because if you buy at the right time you can make quite a bit of money on them. I expect STOR to get to around $35 again in the next couple of years. I think Discover and Synchrony have a little run in them yet and plan to hold them for the year.

I also like BMO Harris as a Buy and a long term hold in the financial sector.

Just an update. I mentioned 4 stocks.

STOR is up 15% since July 31st. And just paid a 1.5% dividend based on July 31 price.

DFS is up 30% since July 31st and has paid a dividend in that time.

SYF is up 30% since July 31st and has paid a dividend.

BMO Harris is up 10% since July 31st and has paid a 1.5% dividend.

I wouldn't come back to this but I was knocked by two people for my picks a little. First time I saw this in the thread. Average of 20% in 3 months on 4 stock picks is pretty decent I would say. I still think all 4 have a good run in them yet and plan on holding them for a while.

My current buy is CVS pharmacy. Revenue is up 70% over the last 5 years. Net income is up 30%. Yet stock is down 40%. Solid year over year growth. 3% Dividend. 9.43 price to earnings. It is sitting around $60 right now. I think it could be at $100 in a couple of years while collecting a nice dividend in the process.

Just an update to my stock stable that I have talked about.

Since July 31 when I picked these and was questioned by two people.

Store is up to 32.2 from 23.5 July 31. That is a 38% gain and it has paid a 1.5% dividend.

DFS stock is up to 76.3 from 49.43 on July 31. That is a 54% gain and has paid a dividend.

SYF is up to 29.5 from 22.5 on July 31. That is a 31% gain and has provided a nice dividend

BMO is up to 67 from 55 on July 31.That is a 22% gain and has provided a nice dividend.

CVS my last stock call on October 12th is up to 70 from 59 for a 18% gain in one month and has provided a dividend.

I am planning to sell Store around $35, DFS at 83, SYF at 35.

BMO and CVS have a lot of upside yet. I think BMO can get to about $85 and CVS can crack $100

My new Buy is Alibaba. BABA is the ticker

The Chinese Amazon. Jack Ma their founder also founded ANT financial which was about to go public in China (think Paypal). This was a big deal. Because of the Chinese Government, this fell through. AliBaba also holds a large stake in ANT financial which is ultimately a good thing but over the past couple of days BABA has been getting hammered for it. Basically the Chinese Banks are centralized and don't like ANT. The regulators were giving Jack Ma ****. So Jack Ma pulled the listing. My hope is he did it as an F U and it shows up on the New York stock exchange.

BABAs earnings are expected to increase 20% year over year for the next 5 years. Something they have smashed in the past. At $266 I think they are a bargain. In the short term (think 3 months) I think they will recover to $300. Long term (think 5 years), I think this could be a $1,000 stock.

BTW- All the stocks I have mentioned total make up less than 20% of my portfolio. Please don't put all your money into any of these stocks. Bad things happen and don't go the way you think they are going to. Diversification is the key to investing And you want to invest your money not gamble it. With etrade or basically any online trading zero commision policy, it is pretty much free to diversify.

A lot of my money is in unbelievably safe Index funds like VOO (Vanguards S&P 500 index fund) or SWPPX (Schwab's S&P 500 index fund). These are great investments for beginners because of their almost non-existent management fees and great historical returns. Management fees are terrible. Please don't pay high management fees on funds. FAANG are also a great staple in any portfolio. Facebook, Apple, Amazon, Netflix, and Google. They should really add Microsoft to that list too.

Good luck on your investing.
JEIS
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,142

Post#1909 » by JEIS » Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:48 am

Hope all my fellow realgm brothers bought and held on to that fuel cell.
Nowak008
RealGM
And1: 4,303

Post#1910 » by Nowak008 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:16 am

JEIS wrote:Hope all my fellow realgm brothers bought and held on to that fuel cell.

I did! Think it's time to bail on it?
John Hammond apologists:
emunney wrote:
Ron Swanson wrote: 9 YEARS!? like any of that matters

THAT LITERALLY IS HIS TENURE.
jmart762
Pro Prospect
And1: 430

Post#1911 » by jmart762 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:33 pm

Who was the guy from the Pacific NW that was into crypto? Been off the board for a while, but remember him. Looks to be the start of a crypto bull market right now.
JEIS
Assistant Coach

Post#1912 » by JEIS » Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:29 pm

Nowak008 wrote:
JEIS wrote:Hope all my fellow realgm brothers bought and held on to that fuel cell.

I think it is only the beginning. There likely might be some pull back the next few days, but long term hold. Hydrogen is the future. Biden is green energy.
Money to be made. Legit see this going $20 to $50 over the next few years. Might hit $10 sooner than later.
chile
Freshman
And1: 24

Post#1913 » by chile » Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:21 pm

JEIS wrote:
Nowak008 wrote:

I think it is only the beginning. There likely might be some pull back the next few days, but long term hold. Hydrogen is the future. Biden is green energy.
Money to be made. Legit see this going $20 to $50 over the next few years. Might hit $10 sooner than later.

Any reason you like Fuel Cell over the other guys?
M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,357

Post#1914 » by M-C-G » Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:39 pm

jmart762 wrote:Who was the guy from the Pacific NW that was into crypto? Been off the board for a while, but remember him. Looks to be the start of a crypto bull market right now.

I believe you are talking about Bizzaro
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 44,904

Post#1915 » by MickeyDavis » Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:41 pm

Good, I need my XRP to rebound.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
JEIS
Assistant Coach

Post#1916 » by JEIS » Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:02 pm

chile wrote:
JEIS wrote:
Nowak008 wrote:

Any reason you like Fuel Cell over the other guys?

They have carbon capture tech and patents.
They have a partnership with Exxon.
They are working on military projects.
They have more room to grow.
They have a nice back log of contracts.
They are about to focus on hydrogen distribution.
Their cells are superior to others.
The management is legit. Already took the stock from .20 a share to 4 bucks in a little over a year.
They are starting to get into the Korean market.
The company has been around a long time.
JEIS
Assistant Coach

Post#1917 » by JEIS » Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:59 am

Fuel cell beasting it again. This past week is kind of bonkers.
vital_signs
Analyst
And1: 2,239

Post#1918 » by vital_signs » Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:18 am

Got a nice profit so far off Palantir, got in at 11.87. Heart says it's a winner for more but gut says i don't know what I'm talking about and to sell to get my winnings now.
Inadequate perception I reckon it's from the Valium
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 44,904

Post#1919 » by MickeyDavis » Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:36 am

vital_signs wrote:Got a nice profit so far off Palantir, got in at 11.87. Heart says it's a winner for more but gut says i don't know what I'm talking about and to sell to get my winnings now.

Maybe sell half, let the other half run
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
thonnisbeastley
Pro Prospect
And1: 673

Post#1920 » by thonnisbeastley » Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:04 am

Lippo wrote:Link going moon again, .25 to $13, wooot

Love me some Link. Bought 300 at $7. Hodling for 10 years and retiring.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks