2020 NBA Draft Thread

Moderators: codydaze, KF10, City of Trees

BoogieTime
Head Coach
And1: 2,760

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#81 » by BoogieTime » Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:16 am

kalenclayton wrote:
City of Trees wrote:My number one prospect for Sacramento at 12 remains Tyrese Haliburton. Realistically they need to move up and I'd gladly do so.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using RealGM mobile app

I’m a converted Haliburton fan so I agree. I’m still confused how Hampton and Maxey have fallen so far on draft boards. I think both have great potential. The Kings could use either as a 6th man (Maxey would be a spark plug!)

If the team is going for another traditional SG or SF, and Maxey is going to clean that shot up like I’ve seen in predraft workouts, IMHO I personally could probably pencil him in to being a solid two way player with good character. High floor IMO. Not sure the team will go that direction though, but maybe they would if they were just looking for a fit for Fox without team constraints
kalenclayton
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,716

Post#82 » by kalenclayton » Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:29 am

BoogieTime wrote:
kalenclayton wrote:
City of Trees wrote:My number one prospect for Sacramento at 12 remains Tyrese Haliburton. Realistically they need to move up and I'd gladly do so.

I’m a converted Haliburton fan so I agree. I’m still confused how Hampton and Maxey have fallen so far on draft boards. I think both have great potential. The Kings could use either as a 6th man (Maxey would be a spark plug!)

If the team is going for another traditional SG or SF, and Maxey is going to clean that shot up like I’ve seen in predraft workouts, IMHO I personally could probably pencil him in to being a solid two way player with good character. High floor IMO. Not sure the team will go that direction though, but maybe they would if they were just looking for a fit for Fox without team constraints

The more I watch Maxey, the more I like him. He’s currently 10th on my big board, so I’m probably higher on him than most. I see his ceiling as a lower end Donovan Mitchell and his floor as a bench bucket-getter in the vain of Jordan Clarkson mixed with low-end Lou Williams. He really seems to be a safe pick with a high-ceiling. I’m really surprised he isn’t being looked at as a lotto lock.
codydaze
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 4,431

Post#83 » by codydaze » Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:19 pm

I'm still hoping there's some scenario where Patrick Williams falls to us at 12. I think he's going to be a really good player and would fit great with this team.
kb02
Bench Warmer
And1: 631

Post#84 » by kb02 » Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:30 pm

kalenclayton wrote:
BoogieTime wrote:
kalenclayton wrote:I’m a converted Haliburton fan so I agree. I’m still confused how Hampton and Maxey have fallen so far on draft boards. I think both have great potential. The Kings could use either as a 6th man (Maxey would be a spark plug!)

The more I watch Maxey, the more I like him. He’s currently 10th on my big board, so I’m probably higher on him than most. I see his ceiling as a lower end Donovan Mitchell and his floor as a bench bucket-getter in the vain of Jordan Clarkson mixed with low-end Lou Williams. He really seems to be a safe pick with a high-ceiling. I’m really surprised he isn’t being looked at as a lotto lock.

Halliburton reminds me of a young Christie. He's the one player in this draft, who I'm certain will be a ten year player.

As for Maxey, I've been scratching my head. As much as I try, I just don't see a high ceiling player. Think he'll be a plus defender and will be a solid two way player, but I question his burst, his shot, and his ability to finish with his left hand (which he'll need as a 6'3 PG, who may not have a consistent shot). Regarding Maxey, best case (Deron Williams), moderate case (very poor man's Eric Bledsoe), worse case (Cory Joseph).
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,462

Post#85 » by City of Trees » Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:41 pm

Here is my realistically unrealistic best case scenario draft for the Kings

#12- Tyrese Haliburton
#35- Daniel Oturu
#43- Tyler Bey
#52- Paul Reed

kalenclayton
Lead Assistant

Post#86 » by kalenclayton » Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:07 pm

City of Trees wrote:Here is my realistically unrealistic best case scenario draft for the Kings

#12- Tyrese Haliburton
#35- Daniel Oturu
#43- Tyler Bey
#52- Paul Reed

This is a really awesome list. I’m not much of a fan of Oturu, but I love the other three (especially Reed). If I get Reed and Bey later in the draft, I don’t care that we waste a pick on Oturu. I think Reed and Bey go in the 20s though. Mocks have been low on Reed and it’s really surprising. He’s the kind of guy who teams reach for.
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#87 » by City of Trees » Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:15 pm

kalenclayton wrote:
City of Trees wrote:Here is my realistically unrealistic best case scenario draft for the Kings

#12- Tyrese Haliburton
#35- Daniel Oturu
#43- Tyler Bey
#52- Paul Reed

This is a really awesome list. I’m not much of a fan of Oturu, but I love the other three (especially Reed). If I get Reed and Bey later in the draft, I don’t care that we waste a pick on Oturu. I think Reed and Bey go in the 20s though. Mocks have been low on Reed and it’s really surprising. He’s the kind of guy who teams reach for.
Not a fan of Oturu?!

I'm ready to spar.

kalenclayton
Lead Assistant

Post#88 » by kalenclayton » Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:27 pm

kb02 wrote:
kalenclayton wrote:
BoogieTime wrote:

Halliburton reminds me of a young Christie. He's the one player in this draft, who I'm certain will be a ten year player.

As for Maxey, I've been scratching my head. As much as I try, I just don't see a high ceiling player. Think he'll be a plus defender and will be a solid two way player, but I question his burst, his shot, and his ability to finish with his left hand (which he'll need as a 6'3 PG, who may not have a consistent shot). Regarding Maxey, best case (Deron Williams), moderate case (very poor man's Eric Bledsoe), worse case (Cory Joseph).

I definitely think Haliburton is a 10-year pro kind of guy. I just don’t think he makes it to 12. If he does, I will be ecstatic. Maxey seems like he might make it to 12, but his stock seems to be rising. I don’t see Cory Joseph in him at all though. He’s not as controlled and much more offensively gifted. He’s also so much more athletic. His low end is more along the lines of the bulkier, combo guard version of Leandro Barbosa with better defense. I think he’s more likely going to be an awesome bench scorer who is a mesh of Jordan Clarkson/Very-early Lou Williams (not yet 6moy)/Ben Gordon. If he can lockdown his defense, he’s a starter for a while and can really be a front runner for ROY. Just depends on the situation and how he handles it. I think he has a really good chance to be good in a high-pace offense next to Fox.
codydaze
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 4,431

Post#89 » by codydaze » Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:31 am

I see Jahmius Ramsey falling out of the first round in mocks and that's I guy I would definitely take a look at with a second round pick.
nolang1
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,749

Post#90 » by nolang1 » Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:42 pm

codydaze wrote:I see Jahmius Ramsey falling out of the first round in mocks and that's I guy I would definitely take a look at with a second round pick.

Yep, he's honestly close to #12 for me, but there seems to be a good chance one of Vassell, Haliburton, or Hayes will fall to there. If not, trading back to get like Pokusevski and Ramsey would be close to an ideal outcome. Mason Jones is another SG I think is a clear first-rounder who'll probably be around in the second.
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#91 » by City of Trees » Fri Nov 13, 2020 5:02 am

I keep seeing chatter about the Kings and Kira Lewis jr. He's a good prospect but I don't see the fit with Fox around. I get the feeling both are similar players who won't compliment one another as a starting back court.

What's the deal?

OGSactownballer
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,001

Post#92 » by OGSactownballer » Fri Nov 13, 2020 6:27 pm

City of Trees wrote:I keep seeing chatter about the Kings and Kira Lewis jr. He's a good prospect but I don't see the fit with Fox around. I get the feeling both are similar players who won't compliment one another as a starting back court.

What's the deal?

Yeah I see this too and frankly it bothers me.

I certainly hope that we aren’t thinking of going the past HOU route of micro team and run. That is a guaranteed fail come playoff time.

Also I feel that we have a complete lack of multi- positional 3 and D type guys in an era where those guys are an absolute necessity to success. I would go so far as to draft that type of player with all four picks and see who comes out hoping that at least two of them turn into really solid players a la Miami and Toronto kind of wins on those later picks.
BoogieTime
Head Coach

Post#93 » by BoogieTime » Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:35 pm

OGSactownballer wrote:
City of Trees wrote:I keep seeing chatter about the Kings and Kira Lewis jr. He's a good prospect but I don't see the fit with Fox around. I get the feeling both are similar players who won't compliment one another as a starting back court.

What's the deal?

Yeah I see this too and frankly it bothers me.

I certainly hope that we aren’t thinking of going the past HOU route of micro team and run. That is a guaranteed fail come playoff time.

Also I feel that we have a complete lack of multi- positional 3 and D type guys in an era where those guys are an absolute necessity to success. I would go so far as to draft that type of player with all four picks and see who comes out hoping that at least two of them turn into really solid players a la Miami and Toronto kind of wins on those later picks.

It would bother me if the team drafted for positional archetype over BPA, no matter who they think it is

Prime POA playmaking guards have a greater affect on the game than 3/D role players (and Kira has a solid trajectory coming off NCAA as a 18 year old). Might as well just re-sign Baze/BOgi, to go with our wing glut (I think James could have a 3/D career as well), and pick a few 3/D prospects in the second round if that’s somehow important to the FO. 3/D role players are a hell of a lot easier to acquire through other means than prime playmaking guards

I don’t think it’s as easy as such and such are good, we need to remodel our team after them (Raptors POA guards are heavy in their success). Just can be their particular talent collection/chemistry is good as the sum of its parts

As for OP, hope one of Kira or Fox can eventually check twos if McNair indeed sees Kira as BPA
BoogieTime
Head Coach

Post#94 » by BoogieTime » Sat Nov 14, 2020 3:18 am

Forgetting who you want the Kings to draft, who do you think they will?

I got Maxey. Kingsherald just went over 2020 draft interviews and apparently he admitted speaking with the Kings and had the most glowing interview related to the Kings

IMO there may be higher ceilings, and we are stocked at the two guard, but he might be the safest pick for our regime. I have him as maybe the highest floor of our particular draft region.

I just feel that may be the direction the FO goes. The conservative long term fit with Fox, even if we are stock filled with SG. I have little doubt he can be a solid two way player, and is a good kid

I say that even as a particular fan of Hield and Justin James. So maybe I’m wrong and they will address a position of further need. Something would have to give

I just have that feeling of a kid speaking highly of the Kings and maybe it was meant to be
dozencousins
Analyst
And1: 135

Post#95 » by dozencousins » Sat Nov 14, 2020 10:22 pm

City of Trees wrote:
dozencousins wrote:Kings are talking Draft trades right now with 3 possible teams to move up as we speak

# 1 With the Wolves were we get the #1 pick , J.Johnson expiring $16,047,100 & Wolves would get Buddy

#2 with the Hawks were the Kings move up to the 6 pick + either Kevin Huerter or Cam Reddish & Hawks get Buddy . They have plenty of cap space to absorb the difference and this kind of a trade is allowed .

# 3 Most doubtful of the 3 based on part is with the Bulls for the # 4 pick & O.Porter expiring & Bulls get Buddy

Everyone has likely read about Bogi & The Bucks that could happen but it is really unlikely . If Bogi was traded which I doubt look for him & Barnes to be dealt to Boston for Hayward + either Kanter or Langford + multiple picks . I do not think 3 or 4 will happen and it is possible none will has many deals & talks fall through .

Of any though Kings & Wolves is most likely of the 4 and the Hawks is 2nd most likely .

Kings most likely traded

Either Buddy or Bogi ( most likely Buddy )
Barnes
Joseph
Bjelica
Parker ( would be a throw in possibly in a deal )

It sucks to say this but we will likely be a lottery team again after next season . We will make a splash or 2 . If there is a promising sign if we all pay attention closely to the moves we make and the salary cap space we will create . There will be a lot of promise for our future IMO season after next !
All three of these trades are heavily slanted in the Kings favor.

I would imagine if the Kings were talking about those picks it would cost #12 plus additional future draft capital.

To be clear when I made the post was because I could not guarantee all the parts that are exact in the coming and going . I never stated their would not be more parts either way to any deal so you know . It was general information based on talks just trying to give everyone some information .

Anyways a small update :

Looking more like the Minny deal will not happen .

However the Hawks deal in some capacity is looking more probable but again is certain . The main issue is the Kings do not want to give Buddy & the #12 . My personal opinion is the Kings would pull the trigger if it was Buddy and a 2nd for the #6 and a filler .
If that did happen I think the Kings would go after Obi Toppin or Onyeka Okongwu at # 6 and at #12 likely Devin Vassell or Aaron Nesmith should we keep the picks .

I am not claiming any info I am giving will actually happen however their are a lot of talks & I know that a lot of our talks are centering around teams with The Hawks , Celtics , New York , Phoenix , & Bucks . I do not think myself the Kings will trade Bogi to the Bucks but that is not for sure it is my opinion and opinion also based on if the Bucks really want Bogi they would need to pony up far more than they have been offering so far .

Lastly I expect the Kings will trade away 1 or 2 of our 2nd rounders this year as well .

Again as of now if Buddy gets traded right now the favorites to get him are the Hawks and then would say the Knicks would be 2nd favorites however the NBA can get crazy and between the draft , free agency and everything happening so fast we are going to see a mad crazy amount of trades between now and the next 2 weeks .
kalenclayton
Lead Assistant

Post#96 » by kalenclayton » Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:58 pm

BoogieTime wrote:Forgetting who you want the Kings to draft, who do you think they will?

I got Maxey. Kingsherald just went over 2020 draft interviews and apparently he admitted speaking with the Kings and had the most glowing interview related to the Kings

IMO there may be higher ceilings, and we are stocked at the two guard, but he might be the safest pick for our regime. I have him as maybe the highest floor of our particular draft region.

I just feel that may be the direction the FO goes. The conservative long term fit with Fox, even if we are stock filled with SG. I have little doubt he can be a solid two way player, and is a good kid

I say that even as a particular fan of Hield and Justin James. So maybe I’m wrong and they will address a position of further need. Something would have to give

I just have that feeling of a kid speaking highly of the Kings and maybe it was meant to be

What the Kings will do is really hard to project this year. McNair has been really quiet and we just don’t know what he’s looking for. There’s probably the same chance of us using the pick vs. trading the pick. It’s just so hard to guess.

If we stick at 12, I think the team either takes an unexpected faller (like Vassell or Hayes), Maxey, or Nesmith. We don’t know who the team loves, so we can’t really project whether they will trade up or down.
OGSactownballer
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,001

Post#97 » by OGSactownballer » Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:56 pm

I would venture to say that if they go into the draft still holding the pick and pick to duplicate current roster (ie - SG), that would be a signal to me of something definitive in the works as far as a trade goes with either or both of Buddy, Bogi or the pick involved.
BoogieTime
Head Coach

Post#98 » by BoogieTime » Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:06 pm

kalenclayton wrote:
BoogieTime wrote:Forgetting who you want the Kings to draft, who do you think they will?

What the Kings will do is really hard to project this year. McNair has been really quiet and we just don’t know what he’s looking for. There’s probably the same chance of us using the pick vs. trading the pick. It’s just so hard to guess.

If we stick at 12, I think the team either takes an unexpected faller (like Vassell or Hayes), Maxey, or Nesmith. We don’t know who the team loves, so we can’t really project whether they will trade up or down.

Personally I’d prefer to trade back in than up. I doubt we’d move Fox/Bagley or future firsts to move up. So if Buddy happened to be moved, I’d personally prefer a package involving Philly’s 21 or something than moving up a few spaces. Then again I feel as if the draft is deep
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#99 » by City of Trees » Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:39 pm

I'll be rooting for a trade up to draft Haliburton.

I'd be okay with Okoro if Haliburton is off the board, otherwise I'd like to see them stay put at 12 and look to add another 1st by trading a current player.

blind prophet
RealGM
And1: 3,232

Post#100 » by blind prophet » Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:25 am

If you guys didn't see this...

Read on Twitter

I mentioned this over at the T&T forum, someone said that it may not be as bad as it would normally sound because of covid. Lots of zoom stuff going on.

Still, there's got to be some value in seeing things in person.

I haven't heard a peep from McNair at all since the pressers early on. Eerily quiet.

Return to Sacramento Kings