ImageImageImageImageImage

Joe Lacob at 10 years with Warriors: “We have the opportunity to be really good for 20 years”

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

Little Digger
Head Coach
And1: 2,710

Joe Lacob at 10 years with Warriors: “We have the opportunity to be really good for 20 years” 

Post#1 » by Little Digger » Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:30 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21
ILOVEIT—Good 'ol Bob. Two things that will survive the next apocalypse - Cockroaches and Fitz.
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,661

Re: Joe Lacob at 10 years with Warriors: “We have the opportunity to be really good for 20 years” 

Post#2 » by Coxy » Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:34 pm

Dolich’s time with the Warriors was brief. He spent little more than a year in the mid-1990s as COO under Chris Cohan, whose 15-year tenure as owner produced just two winning seasons.

“The only thing that was missing during Chris’s ownership,” Dolich cracked, “was teamwork, leadership and trust.”

:rofl2:
cdubbz
RealGM
And1: 2,828

Re: Joe Lacob at 10 years with Warriors: “We have the opportunity to be really good for 20 years” 

Post#3 » by cdubbz » Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:22 pm

I love it. We need to nail this pick and wolves lottery pick next year.
Kuya wrote: a good agent collects all the data, including quotes to give them leverage in contract deals.
Little Digger
Head Coach
And1: 2,710

Post#4 » by Little Digger » Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:35 pm

I prefer landing the 2022 #1 overall with the Minnesota pick
ILOVEIT—Good 'ol Bob. Two things that will survive the next apocalypse - Cockroaches and Fitz.
HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,588

Post#5 » by HiRez » Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:40 pm

Little Digger wrote:I prefer landing the 2022 #1 overall with the Minnesota pick

You could wait for that but the chances of getting the #1 pick are not good, even if Minnesota has the worst record. Plus 1 year older for our Big 3. I'd be happy getting it out of the way in a (probably) strong 2021 draft, a #4-#7 pick there sounds pretty good. But in any case, where the pick lands is out of our hands, unless we trade it, which I suspect we probably will.
ShayDee
Rookie
And1: 259

Post#6 » by ShayDee » Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:53 pm

#5 pick in 2022 is better than anything passed 2 in 2021 in my opinion. Wolves need to tank next year so Towns demands a trade and they tank again in 2022
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,237

Post#7 » by wco81 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:35 am

I think the basketball gods are striking down Lacob for his hubris.

I saw that he was on First Take today.

Please, shut the F up and hire some basketball people. Most of all stay out of the limelight.

Be humble about the team's accomplishments. Actually Lacob has had far greater returns than most NBA owners get as far as winning.

His luck may be reverting to the mean and they're punishing the GSW players with a vengeance with these brutal injuries.

The thing is, team's outlook isn't great if Klay has a serious injury, possibly one that no longer makes him an all-star level player yet he's owed a huge amount of money.

Even without the pandemic, team is in poor shape now and all the revenue projections for Chase are unlikely to be realized. They'll probably have to cut ticket prices way down to sell out the arena once the pandemic is over.

He may be forced to sell.

Maybe fleece Ellison now.
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#8 » by Mylie10 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:41 am

Lacob was really good on First Take
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
Old_Blue
Starter
And1: 790

Post#9 » by Old_Blue » Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:05 am

wco81 wrote:I think the basketball gods are striking down Lacob for his hubris.

Please, shut the F up and hire some basketball people. Most of all stay out of the limelight.

Be humble about the team's accomplishments. Actually Lacob has had far greater returns than most NBA owners get as far as winning.

His luck may be reverting to the mean and they're punishing the GSW players with a vengeance with these brutal injuries.

The thing is, team's outlook isn't great if Klay has a serious injury, possibly one that no longer makes him an all-star level player yet he's owed a huge amount of money.

Even without the pandemic, team is in poor shape now and all the revenue projections for Chase are unlikely to be realized. They'll probably have to cut ticket prices way down to sell out the arena once the pandemic is over.

A lot of hard pills to swallow. The truth hurts.
GSWFan1994 wrote:I saw signs of David Robinson, Anthony Davis, Chris Bosh & Kevin Garnett while watching Wiseman.
Warriorfan
RealGM
And1: 2,696

Post#10 » by Warriorfan » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:10 pm

Warriors need to draft the next star and have the core give Duncan Ginobli 1 yr discounts for a younger free agent star after 2022
SpreeChokeJob
Veteran
And1: 1,399

Post#11 » by SpreeChokeJob » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:40 pm

wco81 wrote:I think the basketball gods are striking down Lacob for his hubris.

This was bound to happen. I remember Hardaway and Mullin getting more and more injured as time went on. Lebron is anomaly, either that or he is also taking some special medicine.

The mistake they made was keeping Jones and letting Javale leave. If they were planning to win a championship they need vets. They think the system they created was responsible for the victory, but it was the talent that made the system. Not the other way around.

There were a lot of people who helped build this team and most are gone. Lacob may be suffering from the Jerry Jones effect, thinking he doesn’t need Jimmy Johnson. This team needs to nab a young generational talent in the next draft or convince one to join and Lacob needs to do what was working, hiring the best “experienced” basketball minds.

Edit: He really is a great owner of the team and thankful he is in the Eddy Debartolo mold minus the suitcase.
ILOVEIT
RealGM
And1: 3,404

Post#12 » by ILOVEIT » Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:36 pm

We are lucky to have this ownership. Period.
2021/22 - The return of the Ring.
GQ Hot Dog
General Manager
And1: 5,016

Post#13 » by GQ Hot Dog » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:40 pm

wco81 wrote:Even without the pandemic, team is in poor shape now and all the revenue projections for Chase are unlikely to be realized. They'll probably have to cut ticket prices way down to sell out the arena once the pandemic is over.

Wait, who do you think is paying hundreds of dollars for Chase center season tickets? People that lost their jobs due to the pandemic, ie. the working class? Nope.

The middle class, making 6 figure incomes out of Silicon Valley working from home is how Chase center gets filled. They are doing BETTER since the pandemic, no European vacations or expensive restaurant meals. Plus the stock market is still lucrative and the middle class puts a ton of money into it. These people are why Chase center tickets are among the most expensive in basketball and that won't be changing any time soon.
The hottest of takes...
Jester_ wrote:Hot take: Moses Moody shows the potential to be a star/#2 option ala Lauri Markkanen. Both the eye test and the advanced stats show a player with extremely high slope.
wco81
RealGM

Post#14 » by wco81 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:57 pm

Well lets see where the season ticket sales are after they start letting fans back in.

Yes tech industry workers are in great shape financially. However, they're not rabid sports fans. A lot of them came from other parts of the country or from other countries too, chasing fortune in tech. So a lot of them are to necessarily fans of local teams, if they're sports fans at all.

But I'm also referring to a lot of non NBA events that they had lined up at Chase Center, like concerts and such. All that money the team wouldn't have had to share with the NBA.
wco81
RealGM

Post#15 » by wco81 » Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:56 pm

Lacob has been trying to sell a minority stake because of a cash flow crunch.

The Warriors and apparently some other NBA teams have approached the league about doing a SPAC transaction to sell a minority stake.

But Silver is resistant because NBA teams may be forced to divulge their financials to the public.

So now he's looking to rope in some private equity investors.

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/261641/Warriors-Attempted-To-Sell-Minority-Stake-To-SPAC

Unless he can get some more cash, it's unlikely they're going to keep spending at the current rate.

Return to Golden State Warriors