No, not at any price!
55%

Total votes: 22

esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,898

Westbrook to Clippers? 

Post#1 » by esqtvd » Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:42 am

Dan Woike said on KLAC today that the Clippers FO are talking it over. The Clips need a leader--it's not Pat Bev, who is underskilled as a point guard and way over-hyper temperamentally. And Kawhi and PG are not Patton either. Nobody's going to run through a brick wall for them, sorry.

Say what you want about him, but Westbrook comes to play EVERY NIGHT.

The Clips have little to offer except taking on Westbrook's albatross contract [3 more years @ $40M+ per year] off Houston's hands--something few sane orgs would even consider. And unlike Kawhi and PG, who can opt out of here at the end of the season and can be released as FAs the year after that, taking on the Westbrook deal [who turns 32 on November 12] is a one-way ticket.

OTOH we're on a one-way ticket with Kawhi and PG--either or both can be back or forth on the plane from their homes in LA and SD to Phoenix or even GSW in an hour. And that's not even considering them joining the Purple & Pisss! The Future is Now.

Trading PG would make it easy but that would be a sideways move--or worse. Woike said the Clips may be able to squeeze in a 3rd superstar salary, and some S&T with Trezz would almost probably be necessary [but of course as a UFA, Trezz could choose not to co-operate and go sign with Doc in Philly or something].

Not that it would bother anyone here but Lou Will and Pat Bev--who came with Trezz from the Rockets in the CP3 trade--would likely have to be part of the package too, making the joke complete.

https://www.nbaanalysis.net/2020/11/10/nba-rumors-best-trade-los-angeles-clippers-offer-houston-rockets-russell-westbrook/

ADD: There is a garbage-sourced rumor out there https://clutchpoints.com/nba-rumors-kawhi-leonard-recruiting-chris-paul-to-clippers-amid-trade-rumors/--that Kawhi contacted CP3 about re-joining the Clippers. Out of respect, OKC might be willing to deal CP3 wherever he wants to go, but Chris is a far more tradable commodity than Westbrook, and with only aging spare parts and no draft picks, it's doubtful we could give OKC anything they'd actually want.
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
Mistwell
Ballboy
And1: 9

Re: Westbrook to Clippers? 

Post#2 » by Mistwell » Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:18 am

Bev, Lou, McGruder, and Trez (S&T $12M) would add up to the right money.

But then we just lost three key role players on the team, and may then have trouble signing Green and Morris.
MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,178

Post#3 » by MartinToVaught » Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:35 am

I like Westbrook, but I don't see the fit for him on this team. We need more of a pass-first defensive point guard.
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,898

Post#4 » by esqtvd » Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:19 am

Mistwell wrote:Bev, Lou, McGruder, and Trez (S&T $12M) would add up to the right money.

But then we just lost three key role players on the team, and may then have trouble signing Green and Morris.

They hate Bev, Lou, McGruder, and Trezz around here. And make excuses for the rest. :rofl2:

Welcome to the Clippers Comedy Club, bro.
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
NickP
Bench Warmer
And1: 913

Post#5 » by NickP » Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:18 pm

HELL NO!!
clipperlover
Rookie
And1: 980

Post#6 » by clipperlover » Fri Nov 13, 2020 6:43 pm

On thing is for certain. If Westbrook is coming, then PatBev is gone.

Not a huge fan of the deal other than the prospect of getting Robert Covington who was 1st Team all NBA D a couple of years ago.

Westbrook is owed too much over the next 3 years for what he provides. If you expand this into a 3 way deal that somehow lands us Kyle Lowry instead of Westbook, I am down for that. Lowry is a super tough competitor. Houston should be beating down Toronto's door to get him back. Lowry and Harden would be a much better combination.

I don't think we need to abandon PG. I think we need to call Boston and see what we can do to get Marcus Smart from them or call Phoenix and see how we can get Rubio. Phoenix is interested in CP3, so Rubio is on the move if that happens and OKC won't need him.
clipperlover
Rookie

Post#7 » by clipperlover » Fri Nov 13, 2020 6:45 pm

Mistwell wrote:Bev, Lou, McGruder, and Trez (S&T $12M) would add up to the right money.

Trez is not signing for $12M. The guy is going to be looking in the mid $20s.
Clemenza
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,212

Post#8 » by Clemenza » Fri Nov 13, 2020 6:49 pm

I want to keep PG cause I think he's going to come back on fire but its getting obvious that Ballmer and the front office are scared to death that PG might slip back into his mental issues once the post season starts up again and they want no parts of that whatsoever. I don't like Westbrook's game at all over the past couple of years but I think they see the leadership and fearless attitude.. plus maybe Ty Lue is telling them he can reel WB's game in and have him play more team oriented ball. I personally want to keep PG and run it back but its Kawhi's contract year, a new arena is on deck, Lakers winning it all, etc.. The front office shook and frightful of PG going through it again. They, along with so many others, can't get the sight of him hitting the side of the backboard on the shot attempt in game 7. It looks like the organization doesn't believe in PG at all
Clemenza
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,212

Post#9 » by Clemenza » Fri Nov 13, 2020 6:51 pm

clipperlover wrote:

Trez is not signing for $12M. The guy is going to be looking in the mid $20s.

Not after that post season he just had
clipperlover
Rookie

Post#10 » by clipperlover » Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:13 pm

Maybe PG is going to be a different player now that he is getting married.

Read on Twitter
/photo/1
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,112

Post#11 » by og15 » Sun Nov 15, 2020 4:56 pm

MartinToVaught wrote:I like Westbrook, but I don't see the fit for him on this team. We need more of a pass-first defensive point guard.

You like him because he's never been on your fav team ;), just saying. Thunder fans after a year of Chris Paul, post-prime are saying "oh this is what it looks like to have proper PG and some poise down the stretch". Houston fans are saying "please get rid of this guy". Westbrook gets a lot of extra hate, but he would be one of the most frustrating players to have on your team.

Guy without Durant has been first round fodder while shooting 39% FG / 30% 3PT in those 25 playoff games. He has 7 wins in the playoffs since Durant left him, 7-18, and his team has lost series' they were expected to win, or did worse than expected in the series (eg: losing in 5 when they should be going to 7 games). "Heart" and intensity and all that stuff is great if it gives results, if it just ends up with a player who can pad his counting stats while losing. Yea, no thanks!

That's not to say he isn't or hasn't been a good player, he has, he does shift the defense, he's probably better as a playmaker than given credit for, but he's a bad decision maker, he's erratic, he's a hero ball player, and his counting stats suggest a greater impact than the reality.
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,724

Post#12 » by madmaxmedia » Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:39 pm

I chose 'Only if the price is right', although I wasn't thinking about his contract and probably decline for that alone. His contract is going to have a huge impact on whatever team takes him on. It's especially the case for us, if we want to keep Kawhi and PG.

I think his reputation is worse than his actual contribution to the Rockets. His shooting is subpar, but he is still a very dynamic player who creates downhill opportunities for himself and his team- if his shooting was a little better the Rockets wouldn't be looking to trade him. I don't think he is a problem in the locker room. I think in the right situation and with right coaching staff, RW can still be a pretty positive asset to a team (but you might be eating bad money that last season, unless you can use him as an expiring.)

So I'm basically giving him qualified praise, but that's not good enough for his contract- even if we could land him in a very favorable trade. If the Rockets are essentially giving him away, I would still take a good hard look. Our offense was really that bad down the stretch in those Nuggets games, a healthy RW can jump start and make a difference in those situations IMO.
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,724

Post#13 » by madmaxmedia » Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:48 pm

clipperlover wrote:On thing is for certain. If Westbrook is coming, then PatBev is gone.

Not a huge fan of the deal other than the prospect of getting Robert Covington who was 1st Team all NBA D a couple of years ago.

Westbrook is owed too much over the next 3 years for what he provides. If you expand this into a 3 way deal that somehow lands us Kyle Lowry instead of Westbook, I am down for that. Lowry is a super tough competitor. Houston should be beating down Toronto's door to get him back. Lowry and Harden would be a much better combination.

I don't think we need to abandon PG. I think we need to call Boston and see what we can do to get Marcus Smart from them or call Phoenix and see how we can get Rubio. Phoenix is interested in CP3, so Rubio is on the move if that happens and OKC won't need him.

Well that first shoe dropped, not sure what OKC's plans are for Rubio. I would love to see him here too. I think PG would benefit the most from a true point guard.
clipperlover
Rookie

Post#14 » by clipperlover » Thu Dec 3, 2020 3:42 pm

Good trade for Russ and the Wiz. Russ and Beal will play well together. John Wall may be the most overpaid, overrated player in the league. Him and Harden are made for each other.
TheNewEra
RealGM
And1: 10,409

Post#15 » by TheNewEra » Thu Dec 3, 2020 6:43 pm

Most of the trade rumors were taken care of
MarxyLebronist
Senior
And1: 330

Post#16 » by MarxyLebronist » Thu Dec 3, 2020 9:44 pm

I liked the thought, I'll admit, as I believe in Westbrook's game quite a bit. To that end, he found the right fit I think.
Good luck to him, and to Wall/Cousins in Houston lol. Fun town I hear.

Anyway, hope the Clippers are ready for the next step now that the hype media sales push has closed up shop. Though I suppose ongoing volatility helps the gambling industry motivate action, too.

Return to Los Angeles Clippers