Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

wolves_89
Head Coach
And1: 3,935

Re: The Jarrett Culver Thread 

Post#661 » by wolves_89 » Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:44 pm

Klomp wrote:
Read on Twitter

I wish the video showed Culver taking 15-20 shots so we could really get a clear picture of any improvements to his form. The one thing that does stand out is the lack of the exaggerated follow through that characterized Culver's 3PT shot last season. The hitch in his form also looks gone, but it's harder to tell from the video.

I really hope the Wolves hang on to Culver. If he does improve his jump shot he will be a really valuable building block since the rest of his game looks solid. I think the long layoff could help Culver more than any other player on the team, since he had one obvious issue that needs individual work in the gym to fix and he has had plenty of time to rework his form.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,583

Post#662 » by Klomp » Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:09 pm

gandlogo wrote:That kid still has a great NBA body. And not only do his mechanics look better, I wonder if they changed how much he jumps on threes now? One of his problems was he shot on the way down. Less of a jump now - less chance of shooting on the way down. It's like a big leg kick for a hitter in baseball. Sometimes changing that to a short leg kick can dramatically improve that hitter's results.

And in a weird way, COVID could actually have been a blessing to guys like Culver and Reid. They were both thrown in at different points of their rookie seasons because the team had limited options (a bad team with no depth will do that). During the throws of an NBA season players do not have a lot of time to work on individual skills. With the team not in the playoffs, individuals have more time to actually work on their individual skills.

The team also gets to evaluate their progress too - which may impact its decisions regarding draft and free agency.

Hats off to Naz too, because by the looks of his face he's been able to keep his body weight where he can be most productive.

Definitely feeling like the cup is more than half full today (meds must be working)!

Bingo. The time off is big for player development in those who put in the work. Wolves have a lot of guys who put in the work.

It did suck however not having the bubble experience and not having the on-court time. That's one area that definitely hurt us about it.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Rookie-Mistake
Rookie
And1: 390

Post#663 » by Rookie-Mistake » Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:37 am

wolves_89 wrote:
Klomp wrote:
Read on Twitter

I wish the video showed Culver taking 15-20 shots so we could really get a clear picture of any improvements to his form. The one thing that does stand out is the lack of the exaggerated follow through that characterized Culver's 3PT shot last season. The hitch in his form also looks gone, but it's harder to tell from the video.

I really hope the Wolves hang on to Culver. If he does improve his jump shot he will be a really valuable building block since the rest of his game looks solid. I think the long layoff could help Culver more than any other player on the team, since he had one obvious issue that needs individual work in the gym to fix and he has had plenty of time to rework his form.

If he is not pumping out a thousand free throws on a daily basis with a shooting coach then i don't want to hear any other updates.

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#664 » by Jedzz » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:24 pm

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/259589/Ja-Morant-Zion-Williamson-Headline-All-Rookie-Team

All rookie team? Anyone? First year starter, traded up to get him. Success?
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#665 » by Jedzz » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:27 pm

gandlogo wrote:
And in a weird way, COVID could actually have been a blessing to guys like Culver and Reid. They were both thrown in at different points of their rookie seasons because the team had limited options (a bad team with no depth will do that). During the throws of an NBA season players do not have a lot of time to work on individual skills.

Hopefully that's all true. I've long believed getting starts too early can brake some players. Hopefully the time to reflect, slow down and work in private helps.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,136

Post#666 » by Calinks » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:40 pm

We have seen enough of workout Wiggins "Look how ripped he is!" "Look at his handle!" to know we have to be very cautious when getting overly excited about these kinds of videos. Still nice to see. To Wiggins credit, his handle did look significantly better in a lot of games early last season.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,583

Post#667 » by Klomp » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:52 pm

Jedzz wrote:https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/259589/Ja-Morant-Zion-Williamson-Headline-All-Rookie-Team

A draft pick should never be judged after one year. He didn't sign a one-year contract.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#668 » by Jedzz » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:04 pm

Klomp wrote:
Jedzz wrote:https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/259589/Ja-Morant-Zion-Williamson-Headline-All-Rookie-Team

A draft pick should never be judged after one year. He didn't sign a one-year contract.

But he was supposedly good enough to start games already. Oh that's right I forget the team wasn't actually trying to win games.
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,678

Post#669 » by minimus » Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:51 am

Read on Twitter
theGreatRC
RealGM
And1: 4,881

Post#670 » by theGreatRC » Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:19 am

minimus wrote:
Read on Twitter

What does working out with Michael Beasley have to do with winning most improved? If that's the case, Josh will be in the running for most improved since he works on his shot with arguably the best shooting trainer in the biz (Chris Mathews)
Dysfunctional Wolves fan
Mamba4Goat
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 7,932

Post#671 » by Mamba4Goat » Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:54 am

theGreatRC wrote:
minimus wrote:
Read on Twitter

What does working out with Michael Beasley have to do with winning most improved? If that's the case, Josh will be in the running for most improved since he works on his shot with arguably the best shooting trainer in the biz (Chris Mathews)

The guy that runs Canis is a joker at times. This was one of those haha. I wouldn’t read into it at all.
Rest in peace Mamba. There'll never be another Kobe.
Dewey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,019

Post#672 » by Dewey » Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:14 pm

Jedzz wrote:
Klomp wrote:

But he was supposedly good enough to start games already. Oh that's right I forget the team wasn't actually trying to win games.

wouldn’t say he was “ready” to start ... you have to consider that the alternatives we had were no better. The one thing I did like was he got a view at PG, SG, SF, and heck, later in the season he was generally better than he was the beginning of the season.

But ya, too early to cut off his head
Flip response to Love wanting out, "He has no reason to be upset, you're either a part of the problem or a part of the solution"
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#673 » by Jedzz » Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:00 pm

Dewey wrote:
Jedzz wrote:
Klomp wrote:A draft pick should never be judged after one year. He didn't sign a one-year contract.

wouldn’t say he was “ready” to start ... you have to consider that the alternatives we had were no better. The one thing I did like was he got a view at PG, SG, SF, and heck, later in the season he was generally better than he was the beginning of the season.

But ya, too early to cut off his head

Him getting those minutes at PG, SG, SF all probably is what messed with him. The alternative would have been allowing him to focus on SG role with less responsibilities and just focus on performing at this level. Later, if you still feel the need to and after his head has caught up to this level's speed, then introduce the PG minutes. Like year two or better yet year three. Oh yes he's been introduced and got a view of the other roles. Does that offset the confidence and value hit he took this season?

Let's say he stayed at 20mins or below all season and only played SG, but his 3pt shot and FT shots averages both went up significantly. What would his trade value be right now compared to what it is right now.
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,678

Post#674 » by minimus » Mon Nov 9, 2020 7:29 pm

Watching this video I wonder if Culver can have same development trajectory as defender similar to Klay. I can definitely see some similarities here: high IQ, strong base, great work ethic, wingspan, good size for a guard. I have already mentioned this video, where Culver promising defense is on full display

As I wrote before, he needs to add 10lbs of functional muscles, needs to cut down weak, unnecessary fouls and he will be an excellent defender.
younggunsmn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,301

Post#675 » by younggunsmn » Wed Nov 11, 2020 3:50 am

minimus wrote:
As I wrote before, he needs to add 10lbs of functional muscles, needs to cut down weak, unnecessary fouls and he will be an excellent defender.

Thanks for this it gives me hope he won't go down as a bust.
He has great hands and a good knack for angles.
I think he's already a pretty decent defender.
I hope he can add some strength to help with finishing and get consistent from deep.
Another year with us will hopefully help him be less awkward and more decisive with the ball.

If he develops into a good 2 way wing he would be an invaluable piece to add to a Russel?KAT/? big 3.
King Malta
Starter
And1: 1,547

Post#676 » by King Malta » Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:45 am

I truly believe the cliché that there's always a place in the league for someone that can defend a position. If Culver can get his 3 point shot to a serviceable level and show some further defensive improvement then he's a pretty handy NBA level wing as far as I'm concerned, definitely not a bust.

Unfortunately, I foresee him finding his most effective place/role elsewhere in the NBA.
TheDominator273
Sixth Man
And1: 1,079

Post#677 » by TheDominator273 » Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:40 pm

King Malta wrote:I truly believe the cliché that there's always a place in the league for someone that can defend a position. If Culver can get his 3 point shot to a serviceable level and show some further defensive improvement then he's a pretty handy NBA level wing as far as I'm concerned, definitely not a bust.

Unfortunately, I foresee him finding his most effective place/role elsewhere in the NBA.
I think even if his 3 point shot stays streaky or below average, if he can shoot 70% from the free throw line he is a very useful player on a contending team with his ability to handle the ball and get to the rim paired with his good (hopefully improving to somewhere bordering elite) defense.
Dewey
Lead Assistant

Post#678 » by Dewey » Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:33 pm

Culver is a gamer and so is Okogie ... he has value as a winning basketball player. His shooting will improve and when it does he will be a well rounded asset. I’d rather not trade him, but if it’s a move for an all-star caliber talent - that’s different.

If I’m a betting man I’d say Okogie and Culver are well liked I’m the world of basketball far more than most would think due to their work ethics, humble nature, and do not carry the big ego. Those good character guys are always respected.
Flip response to Love wanting out, "He has no reason to be upset, you're either a part of the problem or a part of the solution"
breatnach
Starter
And1: 826

Post#679 » by breatnach » Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:57 pm

Although I am not as high on Culver as some, I do think it's too early to give up on him. He doesn't even have 60 games under his belt, while playing on a team that not only sucked big time, but also did a nearly 180° mid-season. For a young player learning the ropes, consistency is needed.

The fact that he appears to be level headed and a hard worker makes me want to give him a real shot to develop. If we trade him for cash savings, I would be mad. If he was the key to acquiring a star player, I could make my peace with a trade.
Dewey
Lead Assistant

Post#680 » by Dewey » Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:36 pm

I like that he played different positions last season… But it’s important now for him to stay and play the wing position for a full season - He’s going to be a solid NBA player as he puts on a little weight gets a little stronger and starts knocking down them free throws.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves