2020-2021 Dynasty League

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

MathiasPW
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,805

Re: 2020-2021 Dynasty League 

Post#61 » by MathiasPW » Fri Nov 13, 2020 2:55 am

EDIT BECAUSE DATES WERE WRONG

With Yahoo back, I'll run the tiered draft lottery tomorrow.

We will start our offline draft at tbe beginning of December, when most or all of the real-life trades and relevant signings will have happened already)

That'd get us more or less 3 weeks to get it done before season starts on Dec 22nd. We only have 7 draft rounds, so 3 days per round seems comfortable enough.

Cool?
wordsenuff
Pro Prospect
And1: 355

Post#62 » by wordsenuff » Fri Nov 13, 2020 4:14 am

MathiasPW wrote:EDIT BECAUSE DATES WERE WRONG

With Yahoo back, I'll run the tiered draft lottery tomorrow.

We will start our offline draft at tbe beginning of December, when most or all of the real-life trades and relevant signings will have happened already)

That'd get us more or less 3 weeks to get it done before season starts on Dec 22nd. We only have 7 draft rounds, so 3 days per round seems comfortable enough.

Cool?

sounds good to me
Golanator
Sixth Man
And1: 1,376

Post#63 » by Golanator » Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:10 am

Whoever can/is setting keepers, please remove DeMarcus Cousins from my keeper list.

I’m keeping 7, Westbrook/Wall/Lillard/Hield/Ibaka/Gobert/Griffin
MathiasPW
Lead Assistant

Post#64 » by MathiasPW » Fri Nov 13, 2020 2:26 pm

Here is our Draft Order. Few reminders:

1) Our draft is NOT a snake draft.

2) Those who choose to keep 8 players will not draft in the 1st round

3) Our teams are made of 12 players. That means we will have 5 rounds (I previously mentioned 7. My mistake). Those who choose 8 keepers will only draft 4 rounds.

4) Some managers have their emails hidden on our Yahoo Fantasy Page. Those of you will not receive a confirmation/auditing e-mail from the draft lottery and will have to trust the collective e-mails all other managers received as proof that the process was clean.

5) You will receive an e-mail stating your draft position from 1 to 4, and that´s your position within your tier. Your actual draft position will obviously depend on which tier you were in to begin with. If you are the first in TIER 3, for example, that means you´ll draft 9th overall.

TIER 1)

1 - This Team Rated PG
2 - Bigfoot Ballers
3 - bwgood77
4 - Waxed On

TIER 2)

5 - Ulquiorra
6 - D_Book_in_ur_Mouth
7 - Three 6 Latvia
8 - Wordsenuff

TIER 3)

9 - WeekapaugGroove
10 - The Fresh Princes
11 - Qwigglez
12 - Sunskerr´s Team

TIER 4)

13 - Balls Deep
14 - Lillard Time
15 - Tobias Gets Funke
16 - No I in Harden
MathiasPW
Lead Assistant

Post#65 » by MathiasPW » Fri Nov 13, 2020 2:30 pm

Golanator wrote:Whoever can/is setting keepers, please remove DeMarcus Cousins from my keeper list.

I have restarted the league. That means everyone is now able to login again and chose their keepers
Golanator
Sixth Man
And1: 1,376

Post#66 » by Golanator » Fri Nov 13, 2020 2:33 pm

MathiasPW wrote:
Golanator wrote:Whoever can/is setting keepers, please remove DeMarcus Cousins from my keeper list.

I have restarted the league. That means everyone is now able to login again and chose their keepers

Thanks, I got the email and just did so.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,660

Post#67 » by WeekapaugGroove » Fri Nov 13, 2020 3:08 pm

I'm willing to move Kemba and would also look at deals where I send out two players and take one back.

Sent from my SM-G986U using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
Desertfox
Pro Prospect
And1: 819

Post#68 » by Desertfox » Fri Nov 13, 2020 5:32 pm

All that tanking payed off! The 1st pick in the draft is available... for the right price. Also do you need a SF/PF? I got plenty!
MrMiyagi
Suns Forum Eternal Optimist
And1: 7,166

Post#69 » by MrMiyagi » Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:46 pm

MathiasPW wrote:Here is our Draft Order. Few reminders:

1) Our draft is NOT a snake draft.

2) Those who choose to keep 8 players will not draft in the 1st round

3) Our teams are made of 12 players. That means we will have 5 rounds (I previously mentioned 7. My mistake). Those who choose 8 keepers will only draft 4 rounds.

4) Some managers have their emails hidden on our Yahoo Fantasy Page. Those of you will not receive a confirmation/auditing e-mail from the draft lottery and will have to trust the collective e-mails all other managers received as proof that the process was clean.

5) You will receive an e-mail stating your draft position from 1 to 4, and that´s your position within your tier. Your actual draft position will obviously depend on which tier you were in to begin with. If you are the first in TIER 3, for example, that means you´ll draft 9th overall.

TIER 1)

1 - This Team Rated PG
2 - Bigfoot Ballers
3 - bwgood77
4 - Waxed On

TIER 2)

5 - Ulquiorra
6 - D_Book_in_ur_Mouth
7 - Three 6 Latvia
8 - Wordsenuff

TIER 3)

9 - WeekapaugGroove
10 - The Fresh Princes
11 - Qwigglez
12 - Sunskerr´s Team

TIER 4)

13 - Balls Deep
14 - Lillard Time
15 - Tobias Gets Funke
16 - No I in Harden

I got the email with the Tier 1 results. Can confirm they are clean.
Suns traded Mikal Bridges, Cam Johnson, Jae Crowder and 4 1st round picks and a swap so some Vegas Bookies would like us.
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent. - Isaac Asimov
Let us sing when we can, and forget the rest. - H.P. Lovecraft
bigfoot
Suns Forum Anti-Tank Commander
And1: 6,164

Post#70 » by bigfoot » Sun Nov 15, 2020 4:25 pm

Checking to see if there are any managers interested in

Derrick Favors
Eric Paschall
Normal Powell
Bogdan Bogdanovic
Jeremy Lamb
Mo Bamba
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM

Post#71 » by WeekapaugGroove » Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:44 pm

So we should have a pretty good idea of where FAs land within a week of FA so should we make keepers due around the weekend of the 28th then start the draft a few days later?

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
MathiasPW
Lead Assistant

Post#72 » by MathiasPW » Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:33 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:So we should have a pretty good idea of where FAs land within a week of FA so should we make keepers due around the weekend of the 28th then start the draft a few days later?

DYNASTY DEADLINES:

Nov 30th - Deadline to choose (and/or trade) players from your roster at the end of last season as keepers.
Dec 2nd - Start of Draft
Dec 22nd - Start of Season
MathiasPW
Lead Assistant

Post#73 » by MathiasPW » Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:39 pm

And since we are all getting engaged with this again, and taking advantage of fresh brains, here are some proposed rule changes from last season that we may want to implement for the 21/22 season:

1) Separate rookie draft from team draft. More drafts, more fun, and aligns interests on when to go for production and when to go for potential

2) Transform the league into a cap league, to promote more player movement and level the competition. The model proposed was to create layers of contracts for value AND term, letting you keep your best players for longer, but slowly making the available player pool bigger every year
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,368

Post#74 » by bwgood77 » Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:59 pm

MathiasPW wrote:And since we are all getting engaged with this again, and taking advantage of fresh brains, here are some proposed rule changes from last season that we may want to implement for the 21/22 season:

1) Separate rookie draft from team draft. More drafts, more fun, and aligns interests on when to go for production and when to go for potential

2) Transform the league into a cap league, to promote more player movement and level the competition. The model proposed was to create layers of contracts for value AND term, letting you keep your best players for longer, but slowly making the available player pool bigger every year

I don't totally mind the cap league, but not sure how that works. Do we use their real salaries? That would change things quite a bit, for example, a guy like Chris Paul's value would plummet.

I don't think the drafts should be separate because a lot of teams may not want any rookies if they are competing now and want to use their higher picks on guys more ready to contribute, or 2nd/3rd year guys they expect to break out.
MathiasPW
Lead Assistant

Post#75 » by MathiasPW » Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:11 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
MathiasPW wrote:And since we are all getting engaged with this again, and taking advantage of fresh brains, here are some proposed rule changes from last season that we may want to implement for the 21/22 season:

I don't totally mind the cap league, but not sure how that works. Do we use their real salaries? That would change things quite a bit, for example, a guy like Chris Paul's value would plummet.

I don't think the drafts should be separate because a lot of teams may not want any rookies if they are competing now and want to use their higher picks on guys more ready to contribute, or 2nd/3rd year guys they expect to break out.
Using real salaries takes a bit of the fun away.

The idea is that instead of drafting, we auction for F.As, under a fixed cap figure we choose (say, a $100 million). The real trick is how to transition from one type of league to another, but I got a system in mind. I'll find the post wheren explained it and link it here.
wheezy
Rookie
And1: 556

Post#76 » by wheezy » Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:15 pm

I'm a no on both. I think having a combined rookie & vet draft should help eventually level the teams out. The onus should just be on people managing their team well (old team+draft+waiver pickups), not creating limitations for people that put more time/effort into it. There's already a lot in place to help people if they try, and the limited # of keepers should already be leveling the playing field between seasons to a certain extent.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM

Post#77 » by WeekapaugGroove » Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:22 pm

Yeah I have to go no on both too. I like the general idea of a cap league but it's something that has to be done when starting the league not years in.

I think the 7/8 draft thing will even the playing field plenty.

sunskerr
General Manager
And1: 5,342

Post#78 » by sunskerr » Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:39 am

I feel like a lot of teams who are full of talent right now will simply vote no, but count me in on an auction/cap system as a team that is full of talent (young players and was projected to finish top 4 last year).

An auction/cap system is imo superior as it increases the strategy behind keeping players and finding value by simply introducing a new variable (cost), which is extremely reflective of actual basketball/NBA team general management.

I'll back that right now in spite of my team being very strong in terms of young talent, and encourage everyone else to do so because it will help even the playing field as teams will not be able to be ridiculously stacked for as long as they are now (basically forever until your players retire).

I think increasing player movement is a good way to increase entertainment value as well.

Undecided on the separate rookie/FA drafts. I can see arguments for both ways. If we did go the way of separate drafts, I think returning to the full 8 keepers, or in fact it would probably be more wise to implement an auction/cap free agent system as well, so teams finishing poorly would not be rewarded too much.

As an aside, but not entirely relevant, I think as a dynasty league on a basketball forum, we should try to make the experience as involved as possible.
Qwigglez
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 13,637

Post#79 » by Qwigglez » Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:29 am

Gotta say no to a cap. When I drafted, I grabbed young players that were still on rookie deals in Giannis, Booker, and Lavine. It's not my fault that some of y'all decided to go for win now players when we started. My strategy back then was to win in the future, which is now. And now I'm going to be punished because I drafted smartly? Nah. You made your bed. Plus, with 7 or 8 guys kept on a franchise there is still plenty of opportunity to grab hidden gems or add significant talent to your team.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM

Post#80 » by WeekapaugGroove » Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:02 pm

Teams can look good on paper and still not do well. I was the defending champ last year with a roster that looked stacked going in and finished 8th. Plus half my keepers were waiver wire adds or guys I got in the redraft and I've picked at the end of that every year. You can rebuild pretty quickly if you're active and get a little luck.

Return to Phoenix Suns