3%

Total votes: 75

lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,637

Re: Ricky Rubio news and highlights 

Post#661 » by lilfishi22 » Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:20 am

I don't doubt a FVV-Rubio backcourt could work but it'll be expensive and I think you're getting diminishing returns at that point, especially when you're adding another ball handler into the mix taking the ball out of the hands of Rubio and Booker. I think we found a good balance of playmaking, scoring and ball handling duties between Rubio and Booker. Even if FVV doesn't upset the balance, I just think he made a lot more sense a season or two ago before we had a capable PG.
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
sunskerr
General Manager
And1: 5,380

Post#662 » by sunskerr » Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:07 am

It's a talented back court for sure but I think (I should clarify I'm not entirely sure about this) you just lose value on a production vs dollar and minute basis. Because the minutes don't seem like they are there for Booker and Van Vleet to play 36 mpg and Rubio to get his 32. Maybe someone can do some lineup math behind it or break it down and show that this is correct or incorrect.

From a standpoint of resting our players for the playoffs it's really good. But if we start playing them more minutes, then they might start overlapping with each others duties.

Basically I don't think it makes sense to give Van Vleet a giant contract and play him ~30 or ~32 mpg when he's literally proven to produce at high levels playing ~36 mpg.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,461

Post#663 » by bwgood77 » Tue Oct 27, 2020 3:07 pm

He definitely will be signed to start and we don't have the cap space anyway unless we renounced people and traded Oubre in a cap clearing move.
LesGrossman
Head Coach
And1: 4,114

Post#664 » by LesGrossman » Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:59 pm

So if somehow CP3 ends up here and Ricky ends up w/ the clippers, would everyone be happy with the deal?
Pray for Israel
Peace in Jerusalem

Fan of the game of Basketball, no matter the team, league or players. Opposed to all sorts of person cult and show/entertainment/marketing over substance.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,664

Post#665 » by WeekapaugGroove » Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:02 pm

LesGrossman wrote:So if somehow CP3 ends up here and Ricky ends up w/ the clippers, would everyone be happy with the deal?
Sure, I like Ricky and hope he ends up in a good situation like the Clips.

Im not one to worry about other teams, the Clippers will be good and they will try to get better whether that's Ricky or someone else.

Sent from my SM-G986U using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
BobbieL
RealGM
And1: 6,785

Post#666 » by BobbieL » Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:16 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:
LesGrossman wrote:So if somehow CP3 ends up here and Ricky ends up w/ the clippers, would everyone be happy with the deal?
Sure, I like Ricky and hope he ends up in a good situation like the Clips.

Im not one to worry about other teams, the Clippers will be good and they will try to get better whether that's Ricky or someone else.

Sent from my SM-G986U using RealGM mobile app

I think if the deal that Kerrsed proposed - well the four teams - happens and Rubio goes to the Clippers - well I am not sure they improve the most in terms of Wins but I thnk he would be a huge upgrade over PatBev (as Gambo calls him, one word PatBev). Though I do think Beverly and Oubre would help the Mavericks. I just think Rubio would be a better PG than Beverly, get them into their offense, he can play defense, maybe not like Beverly but when you have Kawhi, George, Zubac, Sweet Lou, and the other players - plus they will get a veteran or two on the minimum - they will be solid and he will be a big help to them. When you got Kawhi and George -thats pretty strong

I hope he goes to the Clippers or a good team
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#667 » by bwgood77 » Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:35 pm

Our poll last week about whether people would trade Rubio and Oubre for Paul was 70% no, 30% yes, so the majority is no. A few may have convinced themselves or changed their mind though.
cberry78
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,420

Post#668 » by cberry78 » Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:38 pm

bwgood77 wrote:

Our poll last week about whether people would trade Rubio and Oubre for Paul was 70% no, 30% yes, so the majority is no. A few may have convinced themselves or changed their mind though.

Some of us "NO" voters are also resigning ourselves to what appears to be the inevitable and are trying to make the best out of the situation. :D
"Never argue with an idiot. You'll never convince the idiot that you're correct, and bystanders won't be able to tell who's who." - Mark Twain
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#669 » by bwgood77 » Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:05 pm

cberry78 wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

Some of us "NO" voters are also resigning ourselves to what appears to be the inevitable and are trying to make the best out of the situation. :D

As am I, and I will be excited if it happens...I just wouldn't do it...that's my stance, and certainly not giving up a first rounder (unless it was like top 20 protected for a few years and then changed to 2 2nds after we finally actually have 2nd rounders availabe again).
cberry78
Bench Warmer

Post#670 » by cberry78 » Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:36 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
cberry78 wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

As am I, and I will be excited if it happens...I just wouldn't do it...that's my stance, and certainly not giving up a first rounder (unless it was like top 20 protected for a few years and then changed to 2 2nds after we finally actually have 2nd rounders availabe again).

With that contract, bringing in CP3 should also bring picks with it. I much prefer the combo of RR + KOJr + #10 on the Suns over CP3, I've said that countless times, but if CP3 brings other assets with him (picks and/or vet players) that changes the dynamic quite a bit.
"Never argue with an idiot. You'll never convince the idiot that you're correct, and bystanders won't be able to tell who's who." - Mark Twain
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#671 » by bwgood77 » Sat Nov 14, 2020 12:23 am

cberry78 wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
cberry78 wrote:Some of us "NO" voters are also resigning ourselves to what appears to be the inevitable and are trying to make the best out of the situation. :D

With that contract, bringing in CP3 should also bring picks with it. I much prefer the combo of RR + KOJr + #10 on the Suns over CP3, I've said that countless times, but if CP3 brings other assets with him (picks and/or vet players) that changes the dynamic quite a bit.

Sure, if those players stay healthy. Gallo has not proven that over his career and neither has Paul.
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,816

Post#672 » by Saberestar » Sat Nov 14, 2020 12:34 am

bwgood77 wrote:
cberry78 wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

Sure, if those players stay healthy. Gallo has not proven that over his career and neither has Paul.

And Oubre and Rubio? Oubre has been out at the end of the last two seasons. Rubio is not the healthiest player on earth neither.

Gallinari has been healthy the last couple of seasons. Enough proof. And CP3 last season healthy, eating better and he has never had a big injury in his career.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#673 » by bwgood77 » Sat Nov 14, 2020 12:41 am

Saberestar wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
cberry78 wrote:With that contract, bringing in CP3 should also bring picks with it. I much prefer the combo of RR + KOJr + #10 on the Suns over CP3, I've said that countless times, but if CP3 brings other assets with him (picks and/or vet players) that changes the dynamic quite a bit.

And Oubre and Rubio? Oubre has been out at the end of the last two seasons. Rubio is not the healthiest player on earth neither.

Gallinari has been healthy the last couple of seasons. Enough proof. And CP3 last season healthy, eating better and he has never had a big injury in his career.

Yes, I know Gallinari has FINALLY been healthy, so hopefully that would continue. CP3 still misses on average before this past shortened year with a 6 month in season break, 25% of his games. And like it or not, he likely will decline since he will turn 36 this next year. How many teams with the 10 seed (with a clear playoff team being out due to multiple injuries) jumped up as a clear mid tier playoff team due to the addition of a 35 year old player while losing 2 key starters? Probably not many if anyone can think of any.
cberry78
Bench Warmer

Post#674 » by cberry78 » Sat Nov 14, 2020 12:45 am

bwgood77 wrote:
cberry78 wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

1000%! This is my biggest fear of a CP3 trade, $86 mil for 75% of 2 seasons.
PharmD
Head Coach
And1: 5,536

Post#675 » by PharmD » Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:52 am

Well I'd be somewhat sad because i really like the Suns. Also games being another hour later sucks. The clippers would be fun, but has any Ricky Rubio team not been fun?
Saberestar
RealGM

Post#676 » by Saberestar » Sat Nov 14, 2020 10:04 am

I would be happy because CP3 is better than Rubio, plain and simple.

I know that age and contract are factors too, but all in all I prefer the much better player on my team and then there are avenues to improve the rest of the roster.

Rubio is a nice player and I would be OK having him on the Suns for the next few years, but the league is at his historical peak at the PG position. Not his fault, but there are better players than him at his position and not many teams would start him over who they already have now. That's why his value around the league is probably not very good, not many teams need him.

Simmons, LeBron, Doncic and Harden are nowadays full time PGs. 4 teams out.
Trae, Ja and Fox are nice young starting PGs on rookie contracts. Another 3 teams out.
Curry, CP3, Lowry, Lillard, Kemba, Kirye, Brogdon, Jrue ... Another 8 teams out.

Sincerely I would like to get any of those 15 PGs over Rubio, for getting an upgrade and give our team a better chance of winning. CP3 is the only one available.

And then there is Dinwiddie. Fred Van Vleet. Westbrook. D'Angelo. Dragic. Devonte Graham.... there are so many good starting PGs in this era that is ridiculous.
m1chal
Rookie
And1: 825

Post#677 » by m1chal » Sat Nov 14, 2020 12:19 pm

I know I wouldn't be happy. Paul is old, injury prone and vastly overpaid.
LesGrossman
Head Coach
And1: 4,114

Post#678 » by LesGrossman » Sat Nov 14, 2020 12:33 pm

Saberestar wrote:

I know that age and contract are factors too, but all in all I prefer the much better player on my team and then there are avenues to improve the rest of the roster.

Rubio is a nice player and I would be OK having him on the Suns for the next few years, but the league is at his peak historically at the PG position. Not his fault, but there are better players than him at his position and not many teams would start him over who they already have now. That's why his value around the league is probably not very good, not many teams need him.

Trae, Ja and Fox are nice young starting PGs on rookie contracts. Another 3 teams out.
Curry, CP3, Lowry, Lillard, Kemba, Kirye, Brogdon, Jrue ... Another 8 teams out.

Sincerely I would like to get any of those 15 PGs over Rubio, for getting an upgrade and give our team a better chance of winning. CP3 is the only one available.

And then there is Dinwiddie. Fred Van Vleet. Westbrook. D'Angelo. Dragic. Devonte Graham.... there are so many good starting PGs in this era that is ridiculous.

And you would consider all of those guys to be better fits for the suns than Rubio, producing better net results (wins)? As in, you seriously can envision ball dominant, shoot-first point guards like Kyrie, Westbrook, D'Angelo, Kemba, Lillard, Curry thrive next to Booker?
Pray for Israel
Peace in Jerusalem

Fan of the game of Basketball, no matter the team, league or players. Opposed to all sorts of person cult and show/entertainment/marketing over substance.
Saberestar
RealGM

Post#679 » by Saberestar » Sat Nov 14, 2020 12:49 pm

LesGrossman wrote:
Saberestar wrote:

Rubio is a nice player and I would be OK having him on the Suns for the next few years, but the league is at his peak historically at the PG position. Not his fault, but there are better players than him at his position and not many teams would start him over who they already have now. That's why his value around the league is probably not very good, not many teams need him.

And you would consider all of those guys to be better fits for the suns than Rubio, producing better net results (wins)? As in, you seriously can envision ball dominant, shoot-first point guards like Kyrie, Westbrook, D'Angelo, Kemba, Lillard, Curry thrive next to Booker?

Any of all those 15 that I have said...yes.

The other names that I have added are good PGs as Rubio that I can see being better or worse for a team depending of fit, salary, health...
sunsbg
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,038

Post#680 » by sunsbg » Sat Nov 14, 2020 2:17 pm

Saberestar wrote:Sincerely I would like to get any of those 15 PGs over Rubio, for getting an upgrade and give our team a better chance of winning. CP3 is the only one available.

It's not so simple to correlate the bolded parts. You can't just ignore the age and salary difference. I understand you are excited for probably one of your favorite players, but you better realize he's now 35yo and can start declining any time in front of our eyes. This trade depends so much on good luck(health) and adding additional cheap veterans to be a success.

Return to Phoenix Suns