F
3%

Total votes: 75

WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,660

Re: Ricky Rubio news and highlights 

Post#681 » by WeekapaugGroove » Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:03 pm

The salary thing is overblown. Of course he's overpaid but if they execute this after signing FA it literally has NO impact on what they can do financial this off-season. None except costing Sarver more money but I doubt any of us care about that. Next off-season it does impact their flexibility but it also removes their biggest financial decision with Oubre. Plus next off-season was always going to be tricky with the Ayton and Bridges contracts coming the next year.

Sent from my SM-G986U using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,368

Post#682 » by bwgood77 » Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:55 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:The salary thing is overblown. Of course he's overpaid but if they execute this after signing FA it literally has NO impact on what they can do financial this off-season. None except costing Sarver more money but I doubt any of us care about that. Next off-season it does impact their flexibility but it also removes their biggest financial decision with Oubre. Plus next off-season was always going to be tricky with the Ayton and Bridges contracts coming the next year.

I don't think next summer would have been tricky with extensions the following year. That was a good thing...you have one last summer to add a hopeful long term piece to the core before you are over the cap for years.

We lose that chance. I don't think the salary thing is overblown at all....unless you feel our core is intact and in 2 years we will have found our future PG and if we are some sort of contender we will want to go with a rookie contract guy or rookie (if the guy pans out) or rely on someone we can get with the MLE....instead of also having the option to continue on with Rubio if needed.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,660

Post#683 » by WeekapaugGroove » Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:23 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:The salary thing is overblown. Of course he's overpaid but if they execute this after signing FA it literally has NO impact on what they can do financial this off-season. None except costing Sarver more money but I doubt any of us care about that. Next off-season it does impact their flexibility but it also removes their biggest financial decision with Oubre. Plus next off-season was always going to be tricky with the Ayton and Bridges contracts coming the next year.

I don't think next summer would have been tricky with extensions the following year. That was a good thing...you have one last summer to add a hopeful long term piece to the core before you are over the cap for years.

We lose that chance. I don't think the salary thing is overblown at all....unless you feel our core is intact and in 2 years we will have found our future PG and if we are some sort of contender we will want to go with a rookie contract guy or rookie (if the guy pans out) or rely on someone we can get with the MLE....instead of also having the option to continue on with Rubio if needed.
To have max space next season they would have not signed anyone to a deal longer than 1 year this fall. So essentially your half assing a year so you can maybe sign a max FA. 1 year is 25% of the time you know you have booker so that's an opportunity cost. Now say you sign a max FA next year and Ayton and Bridges play well the next two years you probably run into a scenario where you're either paying the tax or letting one of the two walk. I doubt they want to be a tax team.

With Paul you'd still have an avenue where you could package his expiring next summer with assets and land some big fish. Or you let him expire and use the mle to deal with the PG spot.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#684 » by bwgood77 » Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:34 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

To have max space next season they would have not signed anyone to a deal longer than 1 year this fall. So essentially your half assing a year so you can maybe sign a max FA. 1 year is 25% of the time you know you have booker so that's an opportunity cost. Now say you sign a max FA next year and Ayton and Bridges play well the next two years you probably run into a scenario where you're either paying the tax or letting one of the two walk. I doubt they want to be a tax team.

With Paul you'd still have an avenue where you could package his expiring next summer with assets and land some big fish. Or you let him expire and use the mle to deal with the PG spot.

I don't think the better free agents from this summer would have been opposed to 1 year deals so they could hit FA next summer when more teams have cap space. Not sure why that would be half assing it. We are talking about a FA, still having Rubio and Oubre instead of Paul.

When Paul expires which is about the time Booker would only have that 2 years left on his contract, when people start to want to leave, if someone like Gallo is also leaving, suddenly our team likely takes a big dip, and if Booker has gotten his taste of the playoffs, I think the chances he wants to leave our greater after getting that playoff taste and seeing our team taking a step backward about the time he can start saying he's not certain he will re-sign with us. But gradually building up the core for the long term would give us more stability for a sustained run in the future.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#685 » by bwgood77 » Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:36 pm

Saberestar wrote:
LesGrossman wrote:
Saberestar wrote:I would be happy because CP3 is better than Rubio, plain and simple.

I know that age and contract are factors too, but all in all I prefer the much better player on my team and then there are avenues to improve the rest of the roster.

Rubio is a nice player and I would be OK having him on the Suns for the next few years, but the league is at his peak historically at the PG position. Not his fault, but there are better players than him at his position and not many teams would start him over who they already have now. That's why his value around the league is probably not very good, not many teams need him.

Simmons, LeBron, Doncic and Harden are nowadays full time PGs. 4 teams out.
Trae, Ja and Fox are nice young starting PGs on rookie contracts. Another 3 teams out.
Curry, CP3, Lowry, Lillard, Kemba, Kirye, Brogdon, Jrue ... Another 8 teams out.

Sincerely I would like to get any of those 15 PGs over Rubio, for getting an upgrade and give our team a better chance of winning. CP3 is the only one available.

And then there is Dinwiddie. Fred Van Vleet. Westbrook. D'Angelo. Dragic. Devonte Graham.... there are so many good starting PGs in this era that is ridiculous.

And you would consider all of those guys to be better fits for the suns than Rubio, producing better net results (wins)? As in, you seriously can envision ball dominant, shoot-first point guards like Kyrie, Westbrook, D'Angelo, Kemba, Lillard, Curry thrive next to Booker?

Any of all those 15 that I have said...yes.

The other names that I have added are good PGs as Rubio that I can see being better or worse for a team depending of fit, salary, health...

I think you underestimate Rubio's impact on winning and net team results, even if others put up better individual numbers. As someone mentioned on the general board:

Oh, and a quick nugget: his career +/- so far is +950. His teams during those 9 seasons when he was off the floor: -1372. Talk about impact.

Don't forget how bad we were before Rubio and how that lineup with him and Bridges/Oubre at the wings were one of the best in the entire NBA. We just didn't start playing it until late in the season. We will lose 2 pieces of that.
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,800

Post#686 » by Saberestar » Sat Nov 14, 2020 6:38 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
Saberestar wrote:
LesGrossman wrote:And you would consider all of those guys to be better fits for the suns than Rubio, producing better net results (wins)? As in, you seriously can envision ball dominant, shoot-first point guards like Kyrie, Westbrook, D'Angelo, Kemba, Lillard, Curry thrive next to Booker?

Any of all those 15 that I have said...yes.

The other names that I have added are good PGs as Rubio that I can see being better or worse for a team depending of fit, salary, health...

I think you underestimate Rubio's impact on winning and net team results, even if others put up better individual numbers. As someone mentioned on the general board:

Oh, and a quick nugget: his career +/- so far is +950. His teams during those 9 seasons when he was off the floor: -1372. Talk about impact.

Don't forget how bad we were before Rubio and how that lineup with him and Bridges/Oubre at the wings were one of the best in the entire NBA. We just didn't start playing it until late in the season. We will lose 2 pieces of that.

I do not underestimate Rubio's impact, he is nice and I like him, but he is not Chris Paul.

With Rubio/Oubre we were not even a playoff team, we are not broken a contender by trading them. CP3 would make our team much better IMO.
PharmD
Head Coach
And1: 5,536

Post#687 » by PharmD » Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:24 pm

Oh man, does this mean Ricky has to play for a team that is getting rid of guys in an effort to intentionally lose? Let's hope for another trade (although he can't be traded with another player for 30 days iirc)
bigfoot
Suns Forum Anti-Tank Commander
And1: 6,164

Post#688 » by bigfoot » Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:30 pm

I do seriously appreciate Rubio as he showed the importance of having a legitimate PG (and defender) next to Booker. Jones needs to find the heir apparent to CP3.
Dual
Veteran
And1: 1,494

Post#689 » by Dual » Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:18 pm

Good luck guys. I feel bad for Ricky and for us, his fans. See you around.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Re: Ricky Rubio appreciation thread 

Post#690 » by bwgood77 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:14 pm

Read on Twitter
Crunch 99
General Manager
And1: 3,679

Post#691 » by Crunch 99 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:16 pm

I was really looking forward to watching Rubio play on the Suns again. Seemed like he fit in well there.
Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,158

Post#692 » by Revived » Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:31 pm

Rubio was the best PG the Suns have had since Nash. Even better than Dragic who I liked a lot as well.

Damn shame we had to let you go Rubio. You were incredible leader and truly made these guys better.

I really hope OKC sends him somewhere else. Miami or something would be nice.
alamin330
Pro Prospect
And1: 497

Post#693 » by alamin330 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:36 pm

Ricky Rubio and his $17 million a year salary are going to be just fine lol. Trust me
m1chal
Rookie
And1: 825

Post#694 » by m1chal » Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:47 pm

Pity. Good luck Ricky.
grumpysaddle
RealGM
And1: 13,911

Post#695 » by grumpysaddle » Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:07 pm

Always been a Rubio fan. Just seems like a really good dude and I'm sad to see him go. :( Wanted him back when he was drafted by the Wolves. He didn't get a fair shake. Hoping this doesn't come back to bite the Suns in the ass.
LesGrossman
Head Coach
And1: 4,114

Post#696 » by LesGrossman » Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:18 pm

Hm. I expected the move, but i dont think it'll benefit the suns. Maybe its just me but i dont feel the chemistry between CP3 and Booker. Anyways i hope the Suns continue to improve and dig into the western playoff scene.
Pray for Israel
Peace in Jerusalem

Fan of the game of Basketball, no matter the team, league or players. Opposed to all sorts of person cult and show/entertainment/marketing over substance.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,613

Post#697 » by lilfishi22 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:24 pm

Was a big fan of Rubio when he was a phenom in Europe and playing for the Spanish team against the juggernaut USA team in the Olympics and while his time was short, I am super happy that Rubio put on a Phoenix Suns jersey during his career.

He's been nothing but a positive for us but like his tweet, this is business. I would've liked to see another season with him but it is a business and I hope he ends up on a good team playing good basketball. I will miss him
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
Dual
Veteran
And1: 1,494

Post#698 » by Dual » Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:26 pm

I guess he will not end up in OKC, but who knows, phoenix suns realgm forum has a lot of activity while OKC section has none :cry:
PharmD
Head Coach
And1: 5,536

Post#699 » by PharmD » Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:57 pm

Dual wrote:I guess he will not end up in OKC, but who knows, phoenix suns realgm forum has a lot of activity while OKC section has none :cry:

Heartbreaking to think that Ricky might spend his last couple of years playing for the Thunder who are actively trying to get worse. Hopefully there's another trade coming. Cuz this is not good.
Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,158

Post#700 » by Revived » Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:45 pm

I hope the Mavs can pull out a trade for Ricky. Their already a fun team to watch and Rubio could make them even more lethal.

If Rubio can coexist with Booker and do fine then I think he can do the same with Luka as well.

Return to Phoenix Suns