Three best NBA prospects in the world, regardless of class?

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

wablty
Sixth Man
And1: 1,045

Re: Three best NBA prospects in the world, regardless of class? 

Post#21 » by wablty » Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:21 pm

Ruzious wrote:
wablty wrote:It wasn't his best play. Just a dunk, so people posted it. This was more impressive and indicative of how fluid he is for a 7'1" player.

https://youtu.be/y1H0b-WhkUI?t=177

And his ability to handle the ball is maybe the 3rd most attractive part of his game besides the shot blocking and shooting. The questions about his body are valid, but he's clearly not a 7'1" stiff that can't tie his own shoes. He's got some wiggle to him, and that makes him much more dangerous offensively. If, and I understand it's a big if, he can fill out even to around 210, 220 in the next few years, I think he'll be superb.

Much more impressive. :nod: I like that he protected the ball against the defender who tried to double him on the wing and knock the ball away.

Different video, same game.

https://youtu.be/tOzafZCJLaw?t=435

How many times did we see Garnett make this exact same play?
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#22 » by Ruzious » Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:31 pm

wablty wrote:
Ruzious wrote:
wablty wrote:It wasn't his best play. Just a dunk, so people posted it. This was more impressive and indicative of how fluid he is for a 7'1" player.

https://youtu.be/y1H0b-WhkUI?t=177

And his ability to handle the ball is maybe the 3rd most attractive part of his game besides the shot blocking and shooting. The questions about his body are valid, but he's clearly not a 7'1" stiff that can't tie his own shoes. He's got some wiggle to him, and that makes him much more dangerous offensively. If, and I understand it's a big if, he can fill out even to around 210, 220 in the next few years, I think he'll be superb.

Much more impressive. :nod: I like that he protected the ball against the defender who tried to double him on the wing and knock the ball away.

Different video, same game.

https://youtu.be/tOzafZCJLaw?t=435

How many times did we see Garnett make this exact same play?

Definitely looks comfortable and smooth taking 3's. I want to see him vs Poku in maybe 3 or 4 years. Hopefully they'll have NBA bodies. I think Poku's a little longer and has more defensive ability.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#23 » by No-Man » Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:48 pm

Garnett's frame and body build was miles away, people don't realize how troublesome Chet's is

And he is awesome too watch, improves all the time, plays hard, physical, has skills, it's just hard to see him translating fully

Not sure if he can play PF, but in his case I'd prefer him there than at Center, he is never going to be strong enough, he may just be a giant wing
Ryoga Hibiki
RealGM
And1: 6,508

Post#24 » by Ryoga Hibiki » Sat Nov 14, 2020 2:57 pm

TB wrote:
Fischella wrote:Victor Wembanyama, Dajuan Wagner Jr and Cade Cunningham, Emoni Bates and Paolo Banchero are close

This just made me feel so old. :banghead:
Well, Wagner is not that old, actually.

Sent from my Nokia 3210 using RealGM mobile app
Слава Украине!
BostonCouchGM
Head Coach
And1: 4,857

Post#25 » by BostonCouchGM » Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:18 pm

Fischella wrote:Chet has some impressive stuff going on but he is 7'1 190 at 18.5yo

And his frame/build is terrible

Porzingis and Giannis were once as skinny. Jokic, Gasol and Love were once extremely overweight. NBA trainers, nutrition and PEDs do wonders. And it's not what these guys are at 19-21 y/o, it's what they are once they're fully developed. You can't teach Chet's height, length, BBIQ, and skill level. He's going to be one of the best player in the entire league. People conveniently forget that there aren't any truly great defensive centers in this league. None of them will be able to keep up with him on offense. And he's so long and so much quicker he'll be able to at least hold his own defensively except for one or two centers that will overpower him until he puts on more size.

The answer to the question is:

Holmgren
Cunningham
Green
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,807

Post#26 » by BlazersBroncos » Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:46 pm

I agree with Fischela, to me its Victor and its not close. I have a feeling with that kid.

Its not just the size, but his shooting mechanics at 16 are phenomenal for any non-guard. Dude is going to have a wet jumper.
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,045

Post#27 » by The-Power » Sun Nov 15, 2020 12:12 am

BostonCouchGM wrote:Porzingis and Giannis were once as skinny.

Giannis' frame even as an 18 year old wasn't remotely comparable to Holmgren. There's also a difference between being skinny and being problematically built to put on weight and muscles.
DirtyDez
Suns Forum College Scout
And1: 6,307

Post#28 » by DirtyDez » Sun Nov 15, 2020 3:26 am

Chet could probably eat 4k calories a day and not gain any weight.
fromthetop321 wrote:I got Lebron number 1, he is also leading defensive player of the year. Curry's game still reminds me of Jeremy Lin to much.
MemphisX
Analyst
And1: 3,553

Post#29 » by MemphisX » Sun Nov 15, 2020 4:32 am

Nerlens Noel weighed in at 206lbs at the combine. Chet should be fine.

My top 3:
1. Paolo Banchero
2. Chet Holmgren
3. Victor Wembanyama

Cade in a category all his own :D
Check out my Memphis Grizzlies Youtube Channel --->>> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbB6yGykQEUwl9hqWYVp45g
Little Digger
Head Coach
And1: 2,710

Post#30 » by Little Digger » Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:42 am

1. Banchero
2. Cunningham
3. Wembanyama
ILOVEIT—Good 'ol Bob. Two things that will survive the next apocalypse - Cockroaches and Fitz.
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#31 » by No-Man » Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:37 am

BostonCouchGM wrote:
Fischella wrote:Chet has some impressive stuff going on but he is 7'1 190 at 18.5yo

Porzingis and Giannis were once as skinny. Jokic, Gasol and Love were once extremely overweight. NBA trainers, nutrition and PEDs do wonders. And it's not what these guys are at 19-21 y/o, it's what they are once they're fully developed. You can't teach Chet's height, length, BBIQ, and skill level. He's going to be one of the best player in the entire league. People conveniently forget that there aren't any truly great defensive centers in this league. None of them will be able to keep up with him on offense. And he's so long and so much quicker he'll be able to at least hold his own defensively except for one or two centers that will overpower him until he puts on more size.

Holmgren
Cunningham
Green

Such a simplistic and wrong analysis, Porzingis, Giannis and Pau Gasol had all a great frame to gain weight, so did AD

Losing weight is a much more different proposition and if done right tends to mean that the player can become real strong

Chet is just built wrongly, narrow, sunken chest, hunched back, not even wiry strong, 0 lower body strength, narrow base, not super high hips but high hips

He is so fluid, he plays hard, physical, and improves all the time, he is fun to watch and could be a player but I need to see it, if he looked the same physically at age 16 I'd buy him more, but he is 18.5 yo already
TheBunk
Senior
And1: 59

Post#32 » by TheBunk » Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:07 pm

Are people in this thread being deliberately obtuse? Giannis' frame, even Noel's frame, is worlds away from Chet. He has an all time strange body for a 7 footer. It's like someone took a 5'6 kid with poor posture and stretched him to 7 foot.
wablty
Sixth Man
And1: 1,045

Post#33 » by wablty » Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:29 am

Fischella wrote:
BostonCouchGM wrote:

Holmgren
Cunningham
Green

Such a simplistic and wrong analysis, Porzingis, Giannis and Pau Gasol had all a great frame to gain weight, so did AD

Losing weight is a much more different proposition and if done right tends to mean that the player can become real strong

Chet is just built wrongly, narrow, sunken chest, hunched back, not even wiry strong, 0 lower body strength, narrow base, not super high hips but high hips

He is so fluid, he plays hard, physical, and improves all the time, he is fun to watch and could be a player but I need to see it, if he looked the same physically at age 16 I'd buy him more, but he is 18.5 yo already

He'll never have a Giannis type frame, or Gasol. Agreed. His shoulders are too narrow. The slouched portion of it, though, is fixable. I'm pretty sure I read that he really hadn't started working out until COVID hit. Modern S&C, diet and, let's be honest it's the NBA, "Supplements" will fill him out pretty quickly. He'll never be 260+, but the way he plays, I think 30-40 pounds of good weight over the next handful of years will fill out what he has well enough to get by. He's not a C or primary post player on offense anyways. He's going to be a 3/4 that might turn into a point forward at some point, that looks like he'll be a good shooter, and is long enough to go in and get cheap buckets when opponents don't have some bruiser in there... And the bruisers are going away. Imagine the value of his help defense alone.

I get that it's wait and see, but it's hard not to be excited about what he could be in a few years. It's very rare that you look at a player and the first thoughts are "Oh, this could be something new".
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,127

Post#34 » by clyde21 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:27 am

i like Wembanyama better than Chet...Yama is ridiculously skinny but he's got better proportions than Chet

plus the guy's name is Chet let's be honest here.
CalL
Sophomore
And1: 102

Post#35 » by CalL » Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:05 pm

If Cunningham, Bates or Holmgren are among the top 3 prospects regardless of age, then the next couple of drafts must be really weak.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Post#36 » by Marcus » Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:33 pm

clyde21 wrote:plus the guy's name is Chet let's be honest here.

game changer right there.

all jokes aside I'm iffy on Chet. feels like he'd need a Jokic kind of situation to fully flourish in the league. Like the skill is clearly there but will the size be too much of a liability to bank on that skill winning out.
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,322

Post#37 » by Duke4life831 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:55 pm

Marcus wrote:

all jokes aside I'm iffy on Chet. feels like he'd need a Jokic kind of situation to fully flourish in the league. Like the skill is clearly there but will the size be too much of a liability to bank on that skill winning out.

We doing the Chet name thing again? haha.

Ya Im not sold on him what so ever. That body type flat out scares the crap out of me.

Ill go full on homer, I got Adrian Griffin as the best high school player regardless of class.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#38 » by Marcus » Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:11 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:
Marcus wrote:

Ya Im not sold on him what so ever. That body type flat out scares the crap out of me.

Ill go full on homer, I got Adrian Griffin as the best high school player regardless of class.

it's very important sir. lol. and yeah i love AGJ. Jaden Hardy too for that matter.
Watch More Basketball

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#39 » by Marcus » Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:28 pm

so if we get the expected age drop in time for the 2022 class can we argue at this point that 2022 top half of the lotto looks better than 2021's top half of the lotto?

Cade Cunningham
Evan Mobley
Brandon Boston
Jalen Green
Jalen Johnson
Jonathan Kuminga
Usman Garuba
Scottie Barnes
Scottie Lewis
Jalen Suggs

2022 (which rule change)

Emoni Bates
Victor Wembanyama
Adrian Griffin Jr.
Paolo Banchero
Pat Baldwin
Jaden Hardy
Chet Holmgren
Daimon Collins
Ousmane Dieng

names added for context remove or add as you see fit

discuss please.
Watch More Basketball

Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,322

Post#40 » by Duke4life831 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:31 pm

Marcus wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:
Marcus wrote:

it's very important sir. lol. and yeah i love AGJ. Jaden Hardy too for that matter.

I stand by what I said about a year ago on this subject. The name and haircut reminds me of every bully from every 80s teenage movie. I'm 95% sure when he wears a polo he pops the collar...

Return to NBA Draft