Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 13,637

2020 Preseason Speculation - Lineup battles underway 

Post#1 » by Qwigglez » Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:51 am

New thread new me.
El Hespiritu
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,192

Re: 2020 Season/Offseason (FA/Trade) Speculation - CPfree or CPexpensive? 

Post#2 » by El Hespiritu » Sun Nov 15, 2020 12:11 pm

I was trying to edit in order to adress one of (many) grammar mistakes I made in my last post there.
Now I see why I couldn't.
Shame on me.

Let's start this thread with some meme I was sparing:

Those who read the Nomads thread might know Spanish Forum fans nickname CP3 'Carlton Banks' due to some physical resemblance.
Well... this is my view on how this Forum looked like this last week:

-I tell them: Gentlemen you desist. Your differences are bussiness of your own. We all must care this Refuge's harmony and decorum
-What if they don't listen?
-I kill them and throw them into the sea
BobbieL
RealGM
And1: 6,785

Post#3 » by BobbieL » Sun Nov 15, 2020 1:56 pm

He is not CPFree
He is CPExpensive

I still would prefer the deal falls through but lets see what happens. I mean, whats the worst that can happen
Jones overpays by throwing in draft picks
Paul get hurt...
Fo-Real
General Manager
And1: 4,911

Post#4 » by Fo-Real » Sun Nov 15, 2020 2:57 pm

BobbieL wrote:He is not CPFree
He is CPExpensive

I still would prefer the deal falls through but lets see what happens. I mean, whats the worst that can happen
Jones overpays by throwing in draft picks
Paul get hurt...

At this point, now that we have alienated Rubio and Oubre by showing them that they are expendable.... I would rather the deal goes through. Hard feelings get in the way of effort and team chemistry!!
RiRuHoops
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,812

Post#5 » by RiRuHoops » Sun Nov 15, 2020 3:05 pm

I see Paul accepting Book in his clique of stars. The rest of the team will be not in it. I see CP going off at Ayton's lapses. While the team got great chemistry right now.
I don't see the upside of the trade. Not good enough to be a contender right away and CP got zero upside.
MathiasPW
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,805

Post#6 » by MathiasPW » Sun Nov 15, 2020 3:07 pm

To be honest, the only really reliable information we've had was that "Suns are discussing a trade for Chris Paul", and that came right after the news of the Knicks being interested in him, which makes it look like a leak from OKC to raise his value.

All the rest has been info we got from people close to the situation, so it's hard to blame the Suns from alienating Rubio and Oubre, and JJ should still have an easy route of denial for the whole thing.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,660

Post#7 » by WeekapaugGroove » Sun Nov 15, 2020 3:08 pm

Was bored so was looking at how agents might come into play with this because they are the ones who work these backdoor deals. Paul is a CAA guy, which also happens to be Booker's agency. Guess whobtheir top UFA is... Gallo. Hmm

Few notes on CAA. They are the biggest agency in the NBA so finding connections isn't unique. They are a rival of Kluch not only because they compete for clients but Rich Paul worked there before starting Klutch and there's bad blood about how that ended. Leon Rose who is now running the Knicks was a CAA guy and that's caused some concern with booker down the line. So it might not be a bad thing for the suns to be the CAA preferred west coast team.

I'd also say it's a 99% chance the leak to the media about the deal was from CAA to put pressure on both sides to get something done. I'd also predict if the suns do end up parting with a pick it's with a promise they get Galo or another FA as a package deal for trading for Paul.

Sent from my SM-G986U using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,799

Post#8 » by Saberestar » Sun Nov 15, 2020 3:13 pm

Read on Twitter
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,660

Post#9 » by WeekapaugGroove » Sun Nov 15, 2020 3:32 pm

Read on Twitter

This doesn't impact the suns because they don't have anyone with a PO but interesting for teams trying to make a deal.

Read on Twitter
?s=19

Sent from my SM-G986U using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,368

Post#10 » by bwgood77 » Sun Nov 15, 2020 4:12 pm

Thanks for the new thread Qwiggz!

I was about to set one up but was waiting for the trade window to open...

Anyways, about the poll, I voted no....however, I would MAYBE do a pick swap this year, OR if I give up a future first IF it was top 20 protected for 2 year and then if not conveyed, turned into two 2nds (22 and 23).

However, I still am very iffy on the deal. I'd probably do it without the pick, even though I've played devil's advocate, but would still be perfectly fine not doing it.

My guess is a lot of people would have still projected us to be a 7 seed or maybe better just bringing the core of our team back, and most of it would keep getting better. I probably would have thought the 8 seed or potentially the 7 seed with great health.

I think Paul likely gives us maybe 5-7 more wins if healthy for this year and probably 3-5 more wins the next year, but then we likely are worse the year(s) after that.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#11 » by bwgood77 » Sun Nov 15, 2020 4:19 pm

MathiasPW wrote:To be honest, the only really reliable information we've had was that "Suns are discussing a trade for Chris Paul", and that came right after the news of the Knicks being interested in him, which makes it look like a leak from OKC to raise his value.

All the rest has been info we got from people close to the situation, so it's hard to blame the Suns from alienating Rubio and Oubre, and JJ should still have an easy route of denial for the whole thing.

Yeah, none of the very limited "insider" info is leaking from the Suns FO. I still know 5 people who work or have worked for the Suns, and that FO is VERY tight lipped.

If there is being any info thrown out there, it is likely coming from agents, and any "insider' on twitter likely gets very limited info from a friend of a friend of Booker, who probaby has very limited info and may even get his from Chris Paul, or potentially from Gambo.

But definitely not from the FO, so no real insider as far as Suns insider goes. I don't reach out to contacts often as not to bother them but they would be VERY hesitant to give much IF they did have anything because if it was leaked they'd likely get fired...and the info I have gotten I was sworn to secrecy.

I do get some after the fact details though, like that SGA "apparent" deal that could have gone through was bogus info...they preferred Bridges anyway even though they like SGA, but that deal would have had to go through before they even knew they could get Bridges for sure, so if they wanted to pull the trigger (or even could have because Charlotte had that other offer) they would have done it, because the Bridges deal didn't present itself until later, when they were on the clock.
ray ray
Sixth Man
And1: 762

Post#12 » by ray ray » Sun Nov 15, 2020 4:22 pm

Ghost of Kleine wrote:God! I really loathe the Flakers!
:nonono: I hope that this means that Paul deal is gonna go through though. :nod:
Read on Twitter
?s=09

That means two things IMO

1) Chris Paul deal will most likely be announced later on the week (Friday) because the Suns will use their cap space to strengthen their roster..

2) OKC is staying firm that they don’t want Rubio and the Suns need to look someone to take on his contract which will be hard..

Last thing I heard mid day yesterday was, CP3 WANTS to come to Phx and play with Booker and the feeling is mutual ..so that puts pressure on the suns to get something done.

80%-20% it gets completed from what I’m being told ...!but it’s not a foregone conclusion that it’s done
BobbieL
RealGM

Post#13 » by BobbieL » Sun Nov 15, 2020 4:30 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
BobbieL wrote:
:nonono: I hope that this means that Paul deal is gonna go through though. :nod:
Read on Twitter
?s=09

Danny Green and 28 for Shroder. Another pick for the Thunder

I wonder if this helps with a Suns trade. Personally, I dont like giving up the 10th pick - am on record. Personally, I think the Thunder should have to give up a pick. Maybe the deal will be the Suns are getting the 28th pick in the draft as part of the CP3

I would be a lot more for the trade if the Suns were to get CP3 and the 28 for Oubre, Rubio, Jerome (or Okobo) - and whatever other teams are involved.

I would say I wonder if there is a chance we get Danny Green too and then give up a pick, but that's too much money going out.

I actually thought about that aspect. But the Suns just do not have those expiring contracts or any contracts that would get Green. I mean, the Suns might be able to take him into salary cap if a person like Saric wasn't signed.

Somebody on twitter just suggested Green to the Warriors for the TPE and a future GSW FRP - that made a lot of sense

The note from Ray Ray above --tough finding a trade partner for Rubio. I think the Clippers probably want him but its finding a team to take Beverly I would think is the problem on that part of the deal.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#14 » by bwgood77 » Sun Nov 15, 2020 4:32 pm

ray ray wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=09

1) Chris Paul deal will most likely be announced later on the week (Friday) because the Suns will use their cap space to strengthen their roster..

2) OKC is staying firm that they don’t want Rubio and the Suns need to look someone to take in his contract which will be hard

Last thing I heard mid day yesterday was, CP3 WANTS to come to Phx and play with Booker and the feeling is very mutual ..so that puts pressure on the suns to get something gone

80-20 it happens from what I’m being told but it’s not a foregone conclusion that it’s done

#1 makes sense and I mentioned this before, to use all of our space before executing the trade.

#2 is good because if OKC demands a pick, the team getting Rubio should be the team giving it up, not us, since OKC would be clearins ALL their salary except maybe one year of Oubre (clearing $85 million while taking $15, a net $70 savings) so giving them THAT much cap relief shouldn't cost us a pick. Usually when a team takes on a TON of salary from another team, THEY get picks.

Not sure where Rubio makes the most sense...it kind of hurts that he has two years left instead of 1 with the big FA stuff, but I have recently heard Atlanta with all their cap space might like him next to Trae, and could even take Oubre, and then the Clippers could do it, but it would take Zubac who has multiple years on his deal which OKC wouldn't want, so then he'd have to go somewhere else too.

I think Orlando might want Rubio, and Fournier matched perfectly in salary, and has a player option, so at worst he'd be an expiring.

That might make the most sense.

Rubio to Orlando
Fournier and Oubre to OKC
Paul to Phx

Maybe Oubre somewhere else from OKC later, but it wouldn't necessarily have to be part of this deal.
BobbieL
RealGM

Post#15 » by BobbieL » Sun Nov 15, 2020 4:33 pm

ray ray wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=09

2) OKC is staying firm that they don’t want Rubio and the Suns need to look someone to take on his contract which will be hard..

Last thing I heard mid day yesterday was, CP3 WANTS to come to Phx and play with Booker and the feeling is mutual ..so that puts pressure on the suns to get something done.

80%-20% it gets completed from what I’m being told ...!but it’s not a foregone conclusion that it’s done

Thanks for the knowledge. I think the trade Kerrsed mentioned of Rubio to the Clippers made sense but that means somebody taking either Beverly for two years 27m or Zubac or a combination of players. I mean, Sweet Lou for 8m isn't that much but getting all the pieces to work is tough.
matt131
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,758

Post#16 » by matt131 » Sun Nov 15, 2020 4:36 pm

BobbieL wrote:
ray ray wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=09

Thanks for the knowledge. I think the trade Kerrsed mentioned of Rubio to the Clippers made sense but that means somebody taking either Beverly for two years 27m or Zubac or a combination of players. I mean, Sweet Lou for 8m isn't that much but getting all the pieces to work is tough.

#2 seems to have been an issue for quite a while now. If the Suns haven't been able to find a suitor for Rubio in the past three to four days, then this trade isn't happening.
King4Day
RealGM
And1: 9,204

Post#17 » by King4Day » Sun Nov 15, 2020 4:46 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
BobbieL wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=09

Danny Green and 28 for Shroder. Another pick for the Thunder

I wonder if this helps with a Suns trade. Personally, I dont like giving up the 10th pick - am on record. Personally, I think the Thunder should have to give up a pick. Maybe the deal will be the Suns are getting the 28th pick in the draft as part of the CP3

I would be a lot more for the trade if the Suns were to get CP3 and the 28 for Oubre, Rubio, Jerome (or Okobo) - and whatever other teams are involved.

I would say I wonder if there is a chance we get Danny Green too and then give up a pick, but that's too much money going out.

Maybe they waive him. If so, he could be a good vet off the bench.
"Sometimes, the dragon wins" #RallyTheValley
matt131
Lead Assistant

Post#18 » by matt131 » Sun Nov 15, 2020 4:47 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20
BobbieL
RealGM

Post#19 » by BobbieL » Sun Nov 15, 2020 4:51 pm

matt131 wrote:
BobbieL wrote:
ray ray wrote:

#2 seems to have been an issue for quite a while now. If the Suns haven't been able to find a suitor for Rubio in the past three to four days, then this trade isn't happening.

Is it worth OKC to give away the 25th pick (or 28th pick) for somebody to take Rubio to save them a bunch of cash. SO maybe the Suns aren't getting the pick but the Thunder will use in a trade.
matt131
Lead Assistant

Post#20 » by matt131 » Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:02 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20

25 and 28 for 10?

Return to Phoenix Suns