ImageImageImageImage

Official UCF Sports Thread - Basketball: NIT Bid? Football: Spring Practice Underway

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 23,908

Re: UCF Football (3-2): @ Houston 

Post#1181 » by Knightro » Thu Nov 5, 2020 11:50 am

Knightro wrote:Impressive win at Houston considering the circumstances.

Four defensive starters were suspended for an incident with campus police, yet the Knights had arguably their most impressive defensive performance of the season.

Weird how that works.

UPDATE: All four starters - defensive tackle Kenny Turnier, linebacker Eric Mitchell, safety Antwan Collier and defensive end Randy Charlton - have all been dismissed from the program.
UCFJayBird
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 3,411

Post#1182 » by UCFJayBird » Thu Nov 5, 2020 1:44 pm

Knightro wrote:

Four defensive starters were suspended for an incident with campus police, yet the Knights had arguably their most impressive defensive performance of the season.

Weird how that works.

UPDATE: All four starters - defensive tackle Kenny Turnier, linebacker Eric Mitchell, safety Antwan Collier and defensive end Randy Charlton - have all been dismissed from the program.

Has there been anything to suggest if this was a culmination dismissal or is this really a single incident? Seems harsh if this is the first time these guys have been in trouble, but perhaps they've been getting warnings about team rules and things like that privately.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#1183 » by Knightro » Thu Nov 5, 2020 1:50 pm

UCFJayBird wrote:
Knightro wrote:

Weird how that works.

Has there been anything to suggest if this was a culmination dismissal or is this really a single incident? Seems harsh if this is the first time these guys have been in trouble, but perhaps they've been getting warnings about team rules and things like that privately.

That part I don’t know enough to say with certainty.

I do know that 3 of the 4 guys were seniors and weren’t going to be here next year anyway, so I’m sure with only three regular season games in their respective careers left it made the decision easier for Heupel to pull the plug.
dsg2003mach1
Senior
And1: 458

Post#1184 » by dsg2003mach1 » Thu Nov 5, 2020 2:50 pm

Knightro wrote:

Weird how that works.

damn, well maybe that'll send a good message that stupidity won't be tolerated.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Re: UCF Football (4-2): v. Temple, 7:30pm ESPNU 

Post#1185 » by Knightro » Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:25 pm

Read on Twitter

“Black Ops” uniforms today.
UCF
Community Mod
Community Mod
And1: 1,073

Post#1186 » by UCF » Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:14 pm

Wish I could be there for this game. Hopefully our team plays like they did two weeks ago.
UCFJayBird
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#1187 » by UCFJayBird » Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:29 am

UCF wrote:Wish I could be there for this game. Hopefully our team plays like they did two weeks ago.

I bought season tix and unfortunately the only game i'll attend in person this year (unless maybe a bowl game) is the Tulsa loss. :( Ah well.

UCF could, in theory, still make the conference championship game if Tulsa and we win out. Tulsa would be in as 1st place in the standings, and we'd be tied with a number of teams for second with two losses. It would likely come down to whoever is ranked highest. If we beat Cincy we should jump back into the rankings, and then if Cincy loses again to Tulsa to end the season I would like our chances to overtake them and be the next highest ranked AAC team.

A lot of IFs there, and first and foremost we have to beat Cinci next week which is going to be a huge game, and then we have to hope that Tulsa beats them in their season finale.

I think there are other scenarios that could play out, but that's the most probable. It would be pretty awesome to have a revenge game against Tulsa in the CCG.
UCF
Community Mod
Community Mod

Post#1188 » by UCF » Sun Nov 15, 2020 1:00 pm

I am thankful we were able to roll our season tickets to next year.

Game yesterday started great and ended poorly. Thankfully Temple just wasn’t very good.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Re: UCF Football (5-2): v. Cincinnati, 3:30pm 

Post#1189 » by Knightro » Sun Nov 15, 2020 3:12 pm

The Knights do have very faint AAC championship game hopes.

They need to...

1. Win out (beat Cincy, beat USF)
2. Have Cincy lose one more game (they play Temple and Tulsa)
3. Have Memphis lose one more game (they play Tulane and Houston)

There's also the pretty unrealistic scenario of Tulsa losing out (Tulane, Houston and Cincinnati) which would also put UCF in if they were to win out.
dsg2003mach1
Senior

Post#1190 » by dsg2003mach1 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:52 pm

soooo when does the heat come down for a new defensive coordinator? Much like the offense seems like it's big plays or bust and coming up bust too much. That Absolutely brainless roughing the QB penalty really seemed to shift the momentum, even thier QB couldn't believe how it stupid it was
UCFJayBird
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#1191 » by UCFJayBird » Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:22 pm

dsg2003mach1 wrote:soooo when does the heat come down for a new defensive coordinator? Much like the offense seems like it's big plays or bust and coming up bust too much. That Absolutely brainless roughing the QB penalty really seemed to shift the momentum, even thier QB couldn't believe how it stupid it was

This is such a weird year. I could see getting another year of Shannon, though I think it makes sense to let him go given his salary. If/when we do move on from Shannon, I'd like the next coordinator to be on the field with the players during the game. I'm sure coaching from the box has it's advantages, but I feel the intangibles of being on the field with the players in the moment would outweigh in. No evidence to support that though.
UCF
Community Mod
Community Mod

Re: UCF Football (5-3): @ USF 

Post#1192 » by UCF » Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:41 pm

When you’re losing by less than a few points, it’s hard to pin it on the D. Our most recent loss, when you favor in kicking several starters off the team it’s hard to blame Shannon.

The more likely reason for his departure would be if we could get out from his million dollar salary.
dsg2003mach1
Senior

Post#1193 » by dsg2003mach1 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:44 pm

When you have to score damned near 40 points to win a game that seems like a problem
UCF
Community Mod
Community Mod

Post#1194 » by UCF » Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:25 am

dsg2003mach1 wrote:When you have to score damned near 40 points to win a game that seems like a problem

Same story this week
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#1195 » by Knightro » Sat Nov 28, 2020 2:40 am

I'll take hanging 58 in a win on South Florida in their borrowed building any day of the week.

That said... I would imagine there are going to be sweeping changing made on the coaching staff.

I don't think Randy Shannon will be back. If he goes, I could easily see cornerbacks coach Corey Bell going too since he's been connected with Shannon for years.

That would leave openings at defensive coordinator, linebacker coach and cornerbacks coach.

I wouldn't be surprised if their special teams coordinator Nick Toth let go as well.
UCF
Community Mod
Community Mod

Post#1196 » by UCF » Sat Nov 28, 2020 2:10 pm

Financially I think we have to part with Randy. He’s not producing a defense that makes his irreplaceable.

It’s nice to finally even up the series that started off so lopsided. We gave up way too many points to a team that only had beaten citadel this season to feel great about how the game went.
UCFJayBird
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#1197 » by UCFJayBird » Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:19 pm

Yea I think Randy is gone, more so because of his price tag than anything, especially when you factor in the athletics department losing $15m this year (I think that's the amount I saw). If he was paid an average DC salary, he'd probably get a pass this season because of the circumstances (opt outs, COVID, etc).

Regarding the USF game itself, rivalry games are where expectations get thrown out the window. Yea, I'd love to hang a 70-14 type score on them so we can have the biggest margin of victory in the series as well, but that's rivalry games for you. Bad teams will keep it close, upsets are more common. We won, that's all I care about.

I really wish KZ would've taken a snap though. I saw his statement about not being willing to do it unless he's 100%, and he says he's more like 90%. I get it if he's wanting to be extra careful and make sure he does EVERYTHING he can to be healthy and give himself a shot at playing football for real again. But it will be REALLY bittersweet if he transfers and starts somewhere else next year. I'll cheer him on, but i really wish we would've seen him suit up one more time in a UCF uniform. I'm fully expecting him to transfer at this point (i'm rooting for Hawaii as the destination). DG won't be giving up that starting spot, and I just can't see KZ being comfortable being the backup in his final season if he really has the idea of playing in the pros afterwards. I guess if he doesn't think he'll get there maybe he sticks it out at UCF for one last season, but just seems really unlikely to me.
UCFJayBird
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#1198 » by UCFJayBird » Thu Dec 3, 2020 3:14 pm

As expected, KZ has entered the transfer portal. Sad to see him go, but will be cheering him on wherever he goes.
dsg2003mach1
Senior

Post#1199 » by dsg2003mach1 » Thu Dec 3, 2020 3:37 pm

Just saw that, best of luck to him!
OrlMagic05
Sixth Man
And1: 1,062

Post#1200 » by OrlMagic05 » Thu Dec 3, 2020 4:32 pm

Man, sad to see him go.