Thoughts on the Season + What's Next

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Re: Thoughts on the Season + What's Next 

Post#81 » by stitches » Sun Nov 15, 2020 6:30 pm

If Clarkson could do literally anything other than score that might be a good decision, but I don't like that at all. Clarkson is not good enough passer and initiator for others and not good enough defender to make that a viable option. In fact... I don't just not like it... I think I actively hate that as an option for the Jazz. Clarkson as the bench scorer is his perfect role for him and he's been really good in that role. Just like Bojan has been great in his role too. I wonder what Clarkson will command in FA. Tony Jones is throwing out some insane numbers that make me wanna puke.

You are right we need another 3 and D wing though. There are a ton of them in the draft, no idea whether we will get one though.
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,297

Post#82 » by babyjax13 » Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:10 pm

tugs wrote:Curious what Jazz fans think of having DM and JC as Utah's version of CJ and Dame. Bojan has been very effective as a starter and Joe created most of the offense but we've seen how Mitchell's game levels up whenever he runs the point. Having Clarkson as his running mate eases the burden of always creating for others. He was a very good PG with the Lakers during his rookie campaign. Bojan and Joe can be the 1-2 punch from the bench. Pretty sure they're better than most opposing bench units. Joe can work his PnR with Wagner and Bradley.

What the roster needs is another capable 3 and D like Harkless or Holiday, even Crowder would be a great fit. You'd be lucky to get Jerami Grant from Denver. Also another glaring need is a serviceable defensive inside presence ala Favors.

Clarkson is more our Lou Will. Love him, but he's a bench spark plug.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,023

Post#83 » by SoCalJazzFan » Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:14 am

My personal opinion is that the Jazz are better off shoring up their bench using their exceptions instead of blowing the remainder of their cap up to the luxury tax on Clarkson. Even if resigned, he doesn't fit in with the starters.
zero24gravity
Sixth Man
And1: 842

Post#84 » by zero24gravity » Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:22 pm

If given the choice, I'd rather keep Clarkson over Bojan, especially at their contract #'s. They both are all-offense, black holes. I just like Clarkson's energy better, plus he's fine with being a bench spark. Perhaps if the team's D wasn't so ugly I'd feel better about Bojan, but he doesn't defend, pass or rebound very well. GREAT shooter, but that's not enough. I'd rather some length & D with all that money he's getting, and keep Clarkson at a much more reasonable price. (Not that I think it matters, and I know Bojan will be back.)
MTJazzv3
Veteran
And1: 1,386

Post#85 » by MTJazzv3 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:53 am

Totally agree, @zero. Give me Jordan Clarkson all day long. I think we can have both of those guys. Early in the season Clarkson did show he could play D but realistically it was smarter for him to focus on offense in his role last year. He killed it, turned the Jazz season around with his bench offense.
"And the cowhide globe hits home." - RIP Hot Rod Hundley

Return to Utah Jazz