ImageImageImageImageImage

Rui Hachimura

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Shoe
Bench Warmer
And1: 956

Re: Rui Hachimura 

Post#1301 » by Shoe » Mon Nov 9, 2020 10:54 am

doclinkin wrote:Honestly I don't like that this is his focus. He's not going to be a face-up slow dribbling guard attacking from the top of the key off the dribble. He needs to be learning low post foot work, and how to box out and rebound.

Usually we don't get video of monotonous box out drills.

doclinkin wrote: He is not going to finesse anyone with that slow dribble and half speed footwork face-up attack.

prime1time
Analyst
And1: 1,868

Post#1302 » by prime1time » Mon Nov 9, 2020 12:38 pm

I disagree, Rui already has a low post game. He needs to work on his ball-handling so that he can lead the break and attack slower big men off the dribble. Obviously the 3-point shot needs to continue to develop. Please don’t over scrutinize pick up basketball though.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,868

Post#1303 » by payitforward » Mon Nov 9, 2020 4:46 pm

If you look at Rui's box score numbers for everything but scoring, Rui was about as productive as an average NBA 4 in that stuff. I'd say that's pretty good for a rookie. The most notable improvements one would hope for are in defensive rebounding & blocked shots.

But, Rui's big problem was scoring -- where he was nowhere near as productive as an average NBA 4. & that's despite the fact that he got to the line at a rate a little bit above average, & his FT% was well above average too.

NBA PFs, overall, are more productive shooting the 3 than the 2. Their 2 pt%s are inflated by some number of easy buckets, scores that come to every player without reflecting any special skill. Those are always 2 pointers. Presumably, that is why, on average, 40% of an NBA PFs shots are 3 pointers.

But, only 16% of Rui's shots were 3PAs. For that reason, even if he'd shot 40% on 3's, rather than 28.7%, he would still have been a below average scorer for an NBA 4.

But, of course, he can't shoot them in volume unless he shoots them reasonably well. & if he doesn't, he'll be out of the league in a few years. Or, at best, he'll be a marginal journeyman.

All improvement is good -- obviously -- but Rui Hachimura's entire career depends on his becoming a good 3-point shooter.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
Ed Wood
Sixth Man
And1: 262

Post#1304 » by Ed Wood » Mon Nov 9, 2020 5:35 pm

I'm onboard with that sentiment. My reaction to that clip - such as I had one - isn't so much that I'm worried that his doing what he was doing is a mirage because of poor competition but that I'm not that thrilled to see the balance of his conversions were the product of his ability to give himself 17 foot shots consistently. He's kind of chasing himself off of the line in a lot of instances. Not ideal when you're putting yourself in the spots that teams design schemes to inflict on you.
DCZards
General Manager
And1: 3,970

Post#1305 » by DCZards » Mon Nov 9, 2020 7:13 pm

payitforward wrote:If you look at Rui's box score numbers for everything but scoring, Rui was about as productive as an average NBA 4 in that stuff. I'd say that's pretty good for a rookie. The most notable improvements one would hope for are in defensive rebounding & blocked shots.

But, Rui's big problem was scoring -- where he was nowhere near as productive as an average NBA 4. & that's despite the fact that he got to the line at a rate a little bit above average, & his FT% was well above average too.

NBA PFs, overall, are more productive shooting the 3 than the 2. Their 2 pt%s are inflated by some number of easy buckets, scores that come to every player without reflecting any special skill. Those are always 2 pointers. Presumably, that is why, on average, 40% of an NBA PFs shots are 3 pointers.

But, only 16% of Rui's shots were 3PAs. For that reason, even if he'd shot 40% on 3's, rather than 28.7%, he would still have been a below average scorer for an NBA 4.

But, of course, he can't shoot them in volume unless he shoots them reasonably well. & if he doesn't, he'll be out of the league in a few years. Or, at best, he'll be a marginal journeyman.

All improvement is good -- obviously -- but Rui Hachimura's entire career depends on his becoming a good 3-point shooter.

I was disappointed in Rui’s midrange shooting last season. That was one of his strengths in college so I'm somewhat confident that he's going to improve in that area.

With all of the current emphasis on 3pt shooting, the midrange jumper has become somewhat underrated. All-stars like Chris Paul, Jimmy Butler and Demarr Derozan continue to show that a good midrange jumper can be invaluable.

Of course, I would also like to see Rui improve his 3pt shooting.
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,345

Post#1306 » by doclinkin » Mon Nov 9, 2020 8:16 pm

Ed Wood wrote:I'm onboard with that sentiment. My reaction to that clip - such as I had one - isn't so much that I'm worried that his doing what he was doing is a mirage because of poor competition but that I'm not that thrilled to see the balance of his conversions were the product of his ability to give himself 17 foot shots consistently. He's kind of chasing himself off of the line in a lot of instances. Not ideal when you're putting yourself in the spots that teams design schemes to inflict on you.

Unless of course you can make all of them. In which case they are driving you to your comfort zone. That is what Kawhi feasts on. Still, in this as in many things, Rui is not Kawhi.

Hey Ed Wood!~ my favorite poster. Welcome back my friend.
Ed Wood
Sixth Man
And1: 262

Post#1307 » by Ed Wood » Mon Nov 9, 2020 8:36 pm

doclinkin wrote: Hey Ed Wood!

Hiya!

There are a few exceptions built on being extraordinarily better than even excellent shooters at converting those shots, sure. Chris Paul is an interesting point of comparison. He's an all time great both holistically and specifically as a shooter, has knocked on the door of a 50/40/90 season (well perhaps he's set foot on the doormat, he hasn't come that incredibly close) multiple times, and is, sure, a very good midrange shooter (like the one guy who's played for the Rockets of recent vintage who was still allowed to take shots in that range). That said, he's notably a little less effective than other contemporary greats who are kind of in the same ballpark as shooters (which is to say historically good) basically because he takes those shots a little more often and because he is only good rather than otherworldly around the rim throughout his career - compare his career TS% to James Harden's for example.

DeRozan is at least a mere mortal to compare Rui too and the moral to his story is that in order to really elevate your team's offense as a high usage player without a three point shot to speak of you have to shoot like 10,000% on everything else. Notably he's been migrating closer to the rim more frequently and converting those shots more reliably and that's driving offensive improvements more than his strong 12-21 foot percentages. Credit to DeRozan for becoming as good as he is at what he does, but his shot pattern is something he's overcoming rather than building off of.
WizarDynasty
Veteran
And1: 192

Post#1308 » by WizarDynasty » Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:27 am

Yeah Rui needs to do about 1000 power dribbles a day, with deep hip bend with each bounce behind his shoe the full length of the court. He does have stamina and coordination dribbling with his off hand.
RUI IS. not long for a power forward. He should be viewed as a big small forward along the lines of k. Leonard. He us nit a full timtime power forward. We need to work on his lateral skills so that he can guard quicksmallforwards and ahooting guards. Rui was best player available but long term his future is at small forward, not power forward and his he needs to dramatically improve his off hand dribble skills and staying low to the ground with a deep hip bend. If achieve tons, he will be mention in the same breath a K leonard.
Does Rui have a quick enough first step to be a smallforward if he develop elite off hand dribble?
Build your team with five shooters using Paul Pierce Form deeply bent hips and lower back arch at same time. before rising into shot. Elbow not pointing to the ground! } Avdija=young Paul Pierce
prime1time
Analyst

Post#1309 » by prime1time » Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:23 pm

It should be pointed out that after his injury Rui shot 38.5% from 3 on 1.7 3's a game. Before the injury he was 20% from 3. It will be very interesting to see how he plays this season. Especially how he plays with Wall. People love to criticize Rui for not shooting more 3's and while there's some truth in it, I'm fine with him slowly evolving because it highlights that he has the skills necessary to score when teams lock down the 3 point line, which good defenses WILL do. I was also really pleased with his 80%+ FT percentage (82.9%). With many other lottery picks still being on bust watch, I can't classify Rui's rookie year as anything other than a success. I'm excited to see him next season. It's tough to be really concrete about what to expect, but I will say this. John's return will make the game easier for Rui, especially when Beal is not on the floor but Wall is. The Wall-Rui PnR has a chance to be lethal. It would not be surprising to see Rui tick up his scoring average into the mid/high teens just because Wall is now playing.

I think we will say this more in the non-starting lineup rotations due to other big men being in the game. But in small ball lineups where Rui is the screen man it could be devastating. Another thing to focus on is that even if Rui's not the screen man, Wall's passing to 3-point shooters is elite. In lineups where it's Wall, Bertans, Rui, Big-man and Wing, I expect either Rui's man to help off or the wing man. This will allow Rui to get open looks from 3. Long story short, Wall's presence will make the game easier for Rui. And if Rui can take another step forward in his game, we could be looking at a really solid year for Rui.

Another thing to look at is Rui's ball handling. He's been really working on it. Look for him to get the rebound and push this year. This could lead to more mismatches. He may not ever be a star, but everything points to him being a really solid player. Which is nothing to look down on. Already many of the question marks about his shot - his hitch, his FT shooting - have been answered. His form looks good. Now we just need to see him put it all together.
;ab_channel=DownToBuck
;ab_channel=DownToBuck
;ab_channel=DownToBuck
payitforward
RealGM

Post#1310 » by payitforward » Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:36 am

Prime -- remind me when he came back from that injury, please.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
wall_glizzy
Junior
And1: 199

Post#1311 » by wall_glizzy » Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:38 am

payitforward wrote:Prime -- remind me when he came back from that injury, please.

February 3rd - it's 25 games pre-injury vs. 23 post-.
prime1time
Analyst

Post#1312 » by prime1time » Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:57 am

wall_glizzy wrote:
payitforward wrote:Prime -- remind me when he came back from that injury, please.

February 3rd - it's 25 games pre-injury vs. 23 post-.

The easiest way to do it is to go to his gamelog on Basketball Reference page and then game log.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#1313 » by payitforward » Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:29 am

prime1time wrote:It should be pointed out that after his injury Rui shot 38.5% from 3 on 1.7 3's a game....

This is good. I'm mostly interested in the 16 games played under normal circumstances -- i.e. through March 10.

In those games, Rui was 10-25 on 3pas -- 40%. He took just over 1.5 per game -- about 2.5 attempts per 40 minutes. That's terrific -- but, the volume is too low -- @ 56% of the average for an NBA 4 -- so it's great to see improvement, but you'd expect the % would be lower at this point if he shot more of them.

Still, better is better!
prime1time
Analyst

Post#1314 » by prime1time » Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:47 am

payitforward wrote:
prime1time wrote:It should be pointed out that after his injury Rui shot 38.5% from 3 on 1.7 3's a game....

This is good. I'm mostly interested in the 16 games played under normal circumstances -- i.e. through March 10.

In those games, Rui was 10-25 on 3pas -- 40%. He took just over 1.5 per game -- about 2.5 attempts per 40 minutes. That's terrific -- but, the volume is too low -- @ 56% of the average for an NBA 4 -- so it's great to see improvement, but you'd expect the % would be lower at this point if he shot more of them.

Still, better is better!

Yeah, because of the virus things were so messed up. A very small sample size but positive none the less. I must ask, where do you find league averages for per 40 minutes?
payitforward
RealGM

Post#1315 » by payitforward » Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:59 pm

prime1time wrote:...where do you find league averages for per 40 minutes?

e.g. https://www.boxscoregeeks.com/players/504-kawhi-leonard

The averages are per 48 minutes, but I'm so used to thinking in "40 minutes" that I multiply by 10 & divide by 12. :)
prime1time
Analyst

Post#1316 » by prime1time » Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:28 pm

;ab_channel=62beatBeatboxer
Good video. Rui's 3-point shot looks pretty good.
wall_glizzy
Junior
And1: 199

Post#1317 » by wall_glizzy » Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:51 pm

prime1time wrote:;ab_channel=62beatBeatboxer

Definitely seeing the improved arc that Brooks was talking about! He was also getting straight hunted on D by Pritchard :lol:
prime1time
Analyst

Post#1318 » by prime1time » Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:01 am

wall_glizzy wrote:
prime1time wrote:;ab_channel=62beatBeatboxer

Definitely seeing the improved arc that Brooks was talking about! He was also getting straight hunted on D by Pritchard :lol:

Yup, there's actually a longer video. He won some he lost some. Pritchard is talented. I think Rui is a 4 tbh. And I'm very concerned about Rui's defense.
;ab_channel=TheGuardWhisperer
DCZards
General Manager
And1: 3,970

Post#1319 » by DCZards » Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:50 am

prime1time wrote:Yup, there's actually a longer video. He won some he lost some. Pritchard is talented. I think Rui is a 4 tbh. And I'm very concerned about Rui's defense

If you’re looking for defense you ain’t gonna find it here. No one is playing D in this video.
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,307

Post#1320 » by NatP4 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:59 pm

Looking good, I expect Rui to be a good 3pt shooter and overall efficient scorer, but I know he can rebound better than he showed in his first season, and that’s what will make or break his NBA career, along with becoming a passable team defender.

I’m not sure if it’s worth nothing, but his post all star net rating went from a -10.0 to a -5.4. His defensive rating dropped from a 119.9 to a 119.9. As others have noted, he shot 37.5% from 3 after the all star break.

Rebounding is the issue still.

Return to Washington Wizards