Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,168

New Head Coach-Mark Daigneault 

Post#1 » by ThunderBolt » Wed Nov 11, 2020 3:10 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
retrobro90
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 906

Re: New Head Coach-Mark Daigneault 

Post#2 » by retrobro90 » Wed Nov 11, 2020 3:20 pm

Damn I really wanted Weaver. Hoping the best for Daigneault but this hire smells more like blind loyalty than parsing through who the best available coach is/was.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#3 » by ThunderBolt » Wed Nov 11, 2020 3:26 pm

retrobro90 wrote:Damn I really wanted Weaver. Hoping the best for Daigneault but this hire smells more like blind loyalty than parsing through who the best available coach is/was.

I have no idea about the qualifications of any assistant in the league that doesn't have coaching experience. Out of all the candidates we've heard, I would have been ok with most of them. It might be blind loyalty but I also understand trusting in a guy that you have identified as an up-and-comer several years ago.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
getrichordie
General Manager
And1: 2,308

Post#4 » by getrichordie » Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:43 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:
retrobro90 wrote:Damn I really wanted Weaver. Hoping the best for Daigneault but this hire smells more like blind loyalty than parsing through who the best available coach is/was.

I have no idea about the qualifications of any assistant in the league that doesn't have coaching experience. Out of all the candidates we've heard, I would have been ok with most of them. It might be blind loyalty but I also understand trusting in a guy that you have identified as an up-and-comer several years ago.

Yeah, I wanted Weaver as well but promoting MD also gives Presti the ability to sell aspiring NBA coaches on OKC's internal development route.

Also, I would pay to be a fly on the wall during these interviews.
[twitter] @thunderdustin
Old Man Game
Head Coach
And1: 4,284

Post#5 » by Old Man Game » Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:57 pm

I felt all along an internal promotion was most likely given Presti's penchant for absolute control. Also no point in making some splashy hire now if we are rebuilding.

Sent from my moto g power using RealGM mobile app
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#6 » by ThunderBolt » Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:41 pm

retrobro90
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 906

Post#7 » by retrobro90 » Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:42 am

He kinda look like Ralph Macchio
slick_watts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,947

Post#8 » by slick_watts » Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:47 pm

mark daigneualt is the only nba head coach hired in the last 10 years not to have a wikipedia page. someone graciously created one for him since then. make if that what you will.
spearsy23
RealGM
And1: 7,459

Post#9 » by spearsy23 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:53 am

slick_watts wrote:mark daigneualt is the only nba head coach hired in the last 10 years not to have a wikipedia page. someone graciously created one for him since then. make if that what you will.

At the same time , there's been no secret that the organization has loved him over the last few years and viewed him as an eventual NBA coach.
“If you're getting stops and you're making threes and the other team's not scoring, that's when you're going to see a huge point difference there,” coach Billy Donovan said.
getrichordie
General Manager
And1: 2,308

Post#10 » by getrichordie » Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:36 am

My first impression is that he's a nice guy but it feels like he has a really passive personality and won't be assertive enough and might lack confidence to try new stuff. I hope I'm wrong. If not, Presti can pull a Billy Beane.
[twitter] @thunderdustin
jake_swivel
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,079

Post#11 » by jake_swivel » Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:53 am

getrichordie wrote:My first impression is that he's a nice guy but it feels like he has a really passive personality and won't be assertive enough and might lack confidence to try new stuff. I hope I'm wrong. If not, Presti can pull a Billy Beane.

I thought a nice moment in the press conference was when a reporter asked about Mark's love of Bruce Springsteen and Presti said, "I'm going to let Mark go first" and Daigneault said, "No, I'm going to have Sam go first." Even though he was being funny, he contradicted his boss in an emotionally intelligent way. That didn't strike me as passive. I think you can be a positive, upbeat guy but still be decisive. And with a young, developing roster, I'd rather have that kind of personality instead of the taskmaster sort.
spearsy23
RealGM
And1: 7,459

Post#12 » by spearsy23 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:56 am

Scott Brooks was fairly soft spoken as well (donovan to some extent too). I don't think that hurts you on a growing team. Coaching is moving away from the authoritarian attitude we're used to seeing and is becoming more collaborative. Having a softer personality isn't a bad thing.
“If you're getting stops and you're making threes and the other team's not scoring, that's when you're going to see a huge point difference there,” coach Billy Donovan said.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#13 » by ThunderBolt » Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:07 am

I think brad Steven’s seems like a pushover but his body of work speaks for itself. Other than Mr Flat Earth, his players seem to respect him.

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder