ImageImage

Appropriately early 2020 NBA Draft Thread

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

What would you like to see the Hawks do with the #6 pick?

Trade the Pick for a vet
17%
Trade into the top 3
27%
Trade for later/future picks
13%
Draft Best Player Available
13%
Draft TYRESE HALIBURTON
10%
Draft ONYEKA OKONGWU
10%
Draft ISAAC OKORO
No votes
Draft KILLIAN HAYES
10%

Total votes: 30

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,499

Re: Appropriately early 2020 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#1021 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Nov 13, 2020 4:03 am

If this kid stuck around campus another year or two, I believe he could improve his draft stock from what it currently is. Hopefully he doesn't get 'Trevon Duvalled'.

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,008

Post#1022 » by HMFFL » Fri Nov 13, 2020 4:15 am

HMFFL wrote:2020 NBA Draft - 1st Overall Pick

Anthony Edwards-185

LaMelo Ball+140

James Wiseman+600

Deni Avdija+2060

Obi Toppin+4000

Killian Hayes +2947

RJ Hampton+5000

Isaac Okoro +8000

Cole Anthony+12500

Devin Vassell +15000

Tyrese Haliburton +15000

Over vs Under 3.5

2020 nba draft - international players drafted top 10 (1st pick overall is graded as under 1.5 as an example)

Anthony Edwards draft position Over or Under 1.5

Under is the favorite -221

Over or Under 4.5

2020 nba draft - Deni Avdija draft position (1st pick overall is graded as under 1.5 as an example)

Under is the favorite at -132

JAMES WISEMAN  over or under 2.5 picks

Over is the favorite at -196

LAMELO BALL  over or under 2.5 picks

Under is the favorite at -176

OBI TOPPIN over or under 4.5 picks

Over leads at -142

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
Anthony Edwards is now at -145 to be the first pick. Previously -185.

Anthony Edwards Over 1.5 is now -142 and previously was -221.

So, that's a good amount of moment, and the uncertainty of him being the 1st overall pick appears to be genuine.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#1023 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:11 pm

Spud2nique
General Manager
And1: 5,135

Post#1024 » by Spud2nique » Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:18 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:

I thought Killian would be an average player before watching this video. After watching this dude endorse him even more, I now think Killian will be a full on bust! This guy should not be commenting on basketball but rather taking knitting 101 at the local college.
Spud2nique
General Manager

Post#1025 » by Spud2nique » Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:58 pm

BR per Wasserman, I concur :nod:

It sounds as if Onyeka Okongwu could be the second center drafted, behind only James Wiseman. It would be a mistake. He has a clearer path toward an All-Star appearance with his superior offensive skill level and added defensive versatility.

Only five freshmen on record have registered a player efficiency rating over 30 and a defensive box plus-minus over four: Okongwu, Zion Williamson, Anthony Davis, Karl-Anthony Towns and Zach Collins.

Every team feels confident in Okongwu's finishing and offensive rebounding. He shot 66.4 percent at the basket and racked up 41 putbacks in 28 games. Given his tools, athleticism and motor, the easy baskets should carry over.

It's also easy to buy his defensive numbers and impact translating.

Okongwu registered a 9.8 block percentage and an impressive 2.3 steal percentage as a big. Opponents shot 31.3 percent against him around the basket. Aside from having the tools and aggression to anchor a team's defense as its rim protector, he's more mobile laterally than Wiseman when it comes to guarding in space and recovering down to contest in pick-and-roll coverage.

Still, Okongwu's scoring skills are what could propel him to All-Star status.

He ranked in the 94th percentile on post-ups, shaking defenders with up-and-under moves, baseline spins and sweeping hooks with both hands. Despite the perception that teams are moving away from post-ups, eight of the NBA's 10 most-used post-up players have made an All-Star Game over the past three seasons, and the other two are Williamson and Deandre Ayton, who could both be on their way.

Okongwu has a chance to become one of the top post players in the game based on his creation around the key and touch. Though skeptics question the upside of a 6'9" center who isn't a shooter or ball-handler, he did make 15 of 35 half-court jumpers and 72.0 percent of his free-throws while flashing Eurosteps and face-up rip-throughs from the elbows and short corners.

In Okongwu, a team could add an efficient, go-to scorer, as well as an impact defensive presence.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#1026 » by HMFFL » Sat Nov 14, 2020 6:41 am

ESPN has Melo going #1.
If anyome has some inside information it's ESPN..

Spud2nique
General Manager

Post#1027 » by Spud2nique » Sat Nov 14, 2020 6:42 am

I’m not mad at Vassell.

Per AJC:

Playing for hometown Hawks would be ‘dream come true’ for Vassell

WIth his 3-point shooting and defensive capabilities, Florida State’s Devin Vassell is the kind of wing many NBA teams would love to add to their roster.

Vassell, who has worked out for the Hawks, Warriors, Knicks, Celtics and the Magic (and interviewed with the Hawks, as well), averaged 12.7 points and 5.1 rebounds per game as a sophomore. He’s a hometown guy, originally from Suwanee, and played at Peachtree Ridge. He has the potential to help the Hawks in two of the categories they struggled most in last season – 3-point shooting and defense.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#1028 » by HMFFL » Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:04 am

Spud2nique wrote:I’m not mad at Vassell.

Per AJC:

WIth his 3-point shooting and defensive capabilities, Florida State’s Devin Vassell is the kind of wing many NBA teams would love to add to their roster.

Vassell, who has worked out for the Hawks, Warriors, Knicks, Celtics and the Magic (and interviewed with the Hawks, as well), averaged 12.7 points and 5.1 rebounds per game as a sophomore. He’s a hometown guy, originally from Suwanee, and played at Peachtree Ridge. He has the potential to help the Hawks in two of the categories they struggled most in last season – 3-point shooting and defense.
I have always liked him but at #6, no thanks, so maybe as an option if we trade down. FSU have been producing some talent as of late and multiple first round picks. Last year with Mfiondu Kabengele.

Spud2nique
General Manager

Post#1029 » by Spud2nique » Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:09 am

HMFFL wrote:
Spud2nique wrote:I’m not mad at Vassell.

Per AJC:

I have always liked him but at #6, no thanks, so maybe as an option if we trade down. FSU have been producing some talent as of late and multiple first round picks. Last year with Mfiondu Kabengele.

Ya Kabs was one of my 4 dudes coming out for us with Cam, Culver and Clarke.
Spud2nique
General Manager

Post#1030 » by Spud2nique » Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:18 pm

Call me crazy but I believe players projected to go 6-10 have a much higher success rate in this draft than the ones projected 1-5.

OKongwu/Okoro/Haliburton/Vassell/Patrick Will>>>>>>Wiseman/Edwards/Ball/Toppin/Hayes

The bang for the buck is stronger where we are than if we try to weasel a deal to get ahead. Stand pat or trade back is my theory on this. We need to keep our young dudes intact.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#1031 » by Jamaaliver » Sat Nov 14, 2020 8:11 pm

The more I consider taking Haliburton with a top-6 pick, the more I think he ends up being similar to this guy...

Read on Twitter
Spud2nique
General Manager

Post#1032 » by Spud2nique » Sat Nov 14, 2020 8:32 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:The more I consider taking Haliburton with a top-6 pick, the more I think he ends up being similar to this guy...

Read on Twitter

Wth... really? But... no.. I can’t see that. Childress was the guy I didn’t want at all. Wanted Iggy at 6 and Smoove at 17. 1/2 aint bad. Actually it was bad. I’m
personanongrata
Junior
And1: 261

Post#1033 » by personanongrata » Sun Nov 15, 2020 3:35 am

Jamaaliver wrote:The more I consider taking Haliburton with a top-6 pick, the more I think he ends up being similar to this guy...

Read on Twitter

Chillz made some nice coin over in Greece.
Spud2nique
General Manager

Post#1034 » by Spud2nique » Sun Nov 15, 2020 4:31 am

I hate non Hawk fans making Hawk deals. Some moron just had a video having us give up Hunter and Kev and #6 for Holiday and 2 2nds. Morons.
Spud2nique
General Manager

Post#1035 » by Spud2nique » Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:21 am

I like this mock has us getting Okongwu.

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/wizards/2020-nba-mock-draft-130-two-round-edition

School: USC
Year: Freshman
Position: F/C
Height/Weight: 6'9, 245 lbs
One of the biggest attributes of Okongwu is how evaluators feel he would be able to fit in multiple systems. As the Draft process has gone on, more and more teams are confident in his perimeter play which makes him a nice addition to Atlanta's offense to keep the floor open. With John Collins' contract due at the end of the season, it makes sense for the Hawks to bring in the 6'10 rim protector to play with Atlanta's young core. He should also provide a big improvement on the defensive side of the ball, cleaning up some of the defensive lapses that have been seen in the past two years.
D21
Assistant Coach
And1: 658

Post#1036 » by D21 » Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:59 am

Spud2nique wrote:I hate non Hawk fans making Hawk deals. Some moron just had a video having us give up Hunter and Kev and #6 for Holiday and 2 2nds. Morons.

I found this one :
"The Hawks might need to let go of Reddish plus either Hunter or Kevin Huerter, the sixth pick and another future first-rounder, and a salary filler to entice the Pelicans" Link
:lol:
Spud2nique
General Manager

Post#1037 » by Spud2nique » Sun Nov 15, 2020 3:25 pm

D21 wrote:
Spud2nique wrote:I hate non Hawk fans making Hawk deals. Some moron just had a video having us give up Hunter and Kev and #6 for Holiday and 2 2nds. Morons.

I found this one :
"The Hawks might need to let go of Reddish plus either Hunter or Kevin Huerter, the sixth pick and another future first-rounder, and a salary filler to entice the Pelicans" Link
:lol:

Ya that’s the one I saw. I had seen just Huerter and the 6th but I guess that wasn’t fair enough so they threw in Hunter. :nonono:
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#1038 » by HMFFL » Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:55 pm

Boston is reportedly looking to move up in the draft in order to select Auburn wing Isaac Okoro according to Heavy.com's Sean Deveney. 

The Celtics currently have three first-round picks (14th, 26th and 30th), and due to the team's situation regarding guaranteed contracts for next season it has been rumored that Danny Ainge is looking to make a deal. The Okoro rumor comes just a couple days after it was reported that Boston was looking to package those picks in order to move up, with the goal being to acquire Pelicans guard Jrue Holiday. Given how limited teams have been when it comes to evaluating draft prospects, and the fact that this class doesn't have any clear-cut stars, Wednesday night should be pretty wild. 

RELATED: 

Jrue Holiday

SOURCE: Pro Basketball Talk

Nov 13, 2020, 9:04 PM ET

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#1039 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:20 am

Code: Select all

Hampton was more effective as a scorer than as a passer in pick-and-roll play, but there is reason for optimism at the next level. While he’s probably not someone who will ever be labeled as an elite or creative passer, he is more than capable when there is an opening. Given his athleticism and aggressiveness in terms of scoring off of a screen, he should be able to make the easy reads when defenses are forced to help on his drive.

He has a decent looking shot, he may just need more practice and repetition in order to become a respectable catch-and-shoot option. The sample size being so small, it’s hard to really invest much in the numbers at this stage. The added spacing of the NBA, combined with more reps, will ideally lead to Hampton becoming an adequate spot-up option.
Spoiler:
Defense

Defensively, Hampton profiles as someone who will spend most of his time as the point of attack defender. While he is 6’5, he does not currently play with much physicality and his length is likely best used on smaller players. He struggles to get through screens at this stage, which is what led to him being one of the worst pick-and-roll defenders at his position in all of the NBL.

His 6’7 wingspan leaves a little optimism that he can slide over to wings if he can gain some strength. Overall on this end, Hampton simply needs to mature.

_s_t_u_r_t_
Veteran
And1: 723

Post#1040 » by _s_t_u_r_t_ » Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:48 pm

If I recall correctly, Woo's mock drafts and intel has been fairly stout (... and particularly so regarding the Bulls specifically fwiw, as it seems his Northwestern years bore the benefit of a relationship with a secretary or custodian inside their offices).

He has us taking Patrick Williams... which is a first for me, ie, I hadn't seen that name in the region of #6 yet. Apparently he is the hot commodity in the lead-up to the draft.

https://www.si.com/nba/2020/11/16/nba-mock-draft-latest-updates-rumors-daily-cover

Return to Atlanta Hawks