ImageImageImageImageImage

Shams & Woj: Green, 28 for Dennis Schroder

Moderators: Danny Darko, Kilroy, TyCobb

Mamba Mentality
RealGM
And1: 19,182

Re: Shams & Woj: Green, 28 for Dennis Schroder 

Post#61 » by Mamba Mentality » Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:39 pm

Funny that people are pointing fingers at Schroders shooting, but he shot the three ball better and on higher volume than Danny Green last season.
TheHartBreakKid
General Manager
And1: 4,228

Post#62 » by TheHartBreakKid » Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:12 pm

Never been a huge fan of Schroders but I like this move for multiple reasons;

1. Obviously, Schroder had a semi break out year last year. He did in a backup role, but he did it for a winning team with veteran leaders, something he really never had before unless you count Westbrook. He also showed consistent tough defense and good shooting from the 3. Sample size is still too small for the 3 but it's something he's been improving for years now, and I have no doubt he'll get the easy looks.

2. We gave up someone who was getting 15 million a year, offering something we could get for a third of that. Yes, Green's reliability and experience is something that seemed worth the premium paid for him, and made me ok with with his lack of production during the season, but simply put, he didn't show up in the playoffs either. You can't pay a premium for reliability and not get it when it counts most.

Now that said, I only like deal if we retain Rondo, and obviously KCP. I'm very happy about Schroder plus KCP, Rondo, and Caruso as our guard rotation, plus one additional wing (a W.Matthews type would work) to replace Green and Bradley. But losing either KCP or Rondo would make me feel that our guard rotation is a retooled one, and far from an improved one. Retain Rondo and KCP and get that W.Matthews type player, and you are talking about a significant improvement imo. After these moves, you simply have to retain one of Mcgee/Dwight, resign Morris or get a reasonable replacement for that role, and you are ready to go imo. Anything else (resigning both Mcgee and Dwight, or one of them and Ibaka) would be gravy
tamaraw08
Analyst
And1: 1,235

Post#63 » by tamaraw08 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:12 pm

tugs wrote:Btw I've never been this excited for a low-key guard addition not coming from the draft since Ramon Sessions

Ramons Sesssions is exactly the player I think about whenever I watch Schroeder.
[url][/]
2011 Lakers needed a Slashing PG who can attack/slash, get layups and/or FTs and Ramon fill that need unfortunately it was post Phil Jax tenure and the Lakers were a mess. Both are not very good 3pt shooters if they were, they would be allstars.
Bradley opting out made me nervous bec, losing both him and KCP would really deplete the team with very good 3&D wings.
I like Matthews but there's a reason why he's available and cheap. I like Kent Bazemore too.
tamaraw08
Analyst

Post#64 » by tamaraw08 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:51 pm

Mamba Mentality wrote:Funny that people are pointing fingers at Schroders shooting, but he shot the three ball better and on higher volume than Danny Green last season.

Well, should we just base everything on ONE regular season instead of career average then? What about the playoffs, where last playoffs, Dennis shot under 29% from 3? Then again 7 games is not a good sample size but his career 3pt% from playoffs is 32.6% in 46 games. His career 33.7% is not that good. I would however admit that Danny Green's accuracy has not been exactly great the past 5 years esp his playoff %. Every Laker fan was furious watching him bricked that open 3 late in game 5 finals but his average was 34% not 32%. Some fans here are impressed with SG's like Oladipo and Eric Gordon etc, both shot under 32% last season.
Some fans here too think that the Lakers don't need a player who can manufacture points by attacking the basket getting layups and/or FTs, Dennis would provide that but Danny's defense would be missed and Rob needs to get a defensive wing to fill the void.
[][/url]. I like Bazemore and Matthews.
Ball so hard
Sixth Man
And1: 677

Post#65 » by Ball so hard » Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:52 pm

I think this was an ok trade for now but could turn into a pretty good trade depending on who we end up finding as Danny's replacement. DG did a lot of things well for us and i'm sure he will be missed. Schroder is a very good player. However, I always thought we could use another wing defender... we just got rid of the best one we had. It's probably harder to find a decent 3 and D than it is to find a back up PG.
lazybatman
Sixth Man
And1: 876

Post#66 » by lazybatman » Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:12 am

TheHartBreakKid wrote:Never been a huge fan of Schroders but I like this move for multiple reasons;

1. Obviously, Schroder had a semi break out year last year. He did in a backup role, but he did it for a winning team with veteran leaders, something he really never had before unless you count Westbrook. He also showed consistent tough defense and good shooting from the 3. Sample size is still too small for the 3 but it's something he's been improving for years now, and I have no doubt he'll get the easy looks.

2. We gave up someone who was getting 15 million a year, offering something we could get for a third of that. Yes, Green's reliability and experience is something that seemed worth the premium paid for him, and made me ok with with his lack of production during the season, but simply put, he didn't show up in the playoffs either. You can't pay a premium for reliability and not get it when it counts most.

Now that said, I only like deal if we retain Rondo, and obviously KCP. I'm very happy about Schroder plus KCP, Rondo, and Caruso as our guard rotation, plus one additional wing (a W.Matthews type would work) to replace Green and Bradley. But losing either KCP or Rondo would make me feel that our guard rotation is a retooled one, and far from an improved one. Retain Rondo and KCP and get that W.Matthews type player, and you are talking about a significant improvement imo. After these moves, you simply have to retain one of Mcgee/Dwight, resign Morris or get a reasonable replacement for that role, and you are ready to go imo. Anything else (resigning both Mcgee and Dwight, or one of them and Ibaka) would be gravy

Agree entirely Shawn Michaels. I'm kinda sad that this is the first move to get announced. Lebron / AD are the only ones available to guard the elite wings after this move - Kawhi, PG, Jimmy, KD, etc now due to the lack of size. I don't think he pushes the needle far enough on offense as the loss on defense. Great young player to have as a role player on the team, but we're sacrificing our best +/- player for him.

Idc much about KCP. We better be signing a couple of elite defensive wings now to make up / prepare for the onslaught.
tamaraw08
Analyst

Post#67 » by tamaraw08 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:21 am

Ball so hard wrote:I think this was an ok trade for now but could turn into a pretty good trade depending on who we end up finding as Danny's replacement. DG did a lot of things well for us and i'm sure he will be missed. Schroder is a very good player. However, I always thought we could use another wing defender... we just got rid of the best one we had. It's probably harder to find a decent 3 and D than it is to find a back up PG.

This article is insinuating that the Lakers got “shortchanged” with the deal citing that Green is a much better defender but it’s not the Lakers are done dealing.
[url https://heavy.com/sports/los-angeles-lakers/lakers-schroder-danny-green-trade/?fbclid=IwAR1KG09NS-ZuIZOExbv_5qhIgFRNyxjBgQjTB-TyJNL2lGfj9579g_F2AJI][/url]
I think Not a few have undervalued Green’s defense, ability to grasp concepts etc. but Dennis’ ability to create scoring opportunities esp with the shortened off season would helped the 35 year old Lebron immensely. I’m still concerned with the spacing because Schroeder is not a proven shooter yet. This is where acquiring a stretch 4 like Ibaka or Morris comes in. Can Rob replace Green’s defense with another 3&D wing? Hopefully yes
So Gutta
Pro Prospect
And1: 57

Post#68 » by So Gutta » Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:43 am

The bottom line is that Danny Green underperformed last year, and he was the most expendable of all of our guards. He wasn't going to get better next year at 34 years old making $15 million. And the Lakers did not have a solid #3 option on the team.

Giving that $15M to Schroder who was runner-up for 6th man of the year is a completely justifiable move. There wasn't even another method of acquiring a player as good as Schroder other than exactly what the Lakers did.
"Put five thousand bucks on the Lakers." --Krusty The Clown
Context
RealGM
And1: 11,444

Post#69 » by Context » Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:13 am

not sure if this was posted in the thread...I think Dennis - is a better asset- than green plus 28...putting fit and play aside...
Spoiler:
"Against All Odds" "The Watch"
Hoopz Afrik
Veteran
And1: 2,061

Post#70 » by Hoopz Afrik » Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:03 am

Beethoven wrote:Someone saying in general board that schroder is very inefficient shooting if he has to be ball handler. Concerned. Bc he will be taking over rondo duties.

Don't let them talk you into thinking this was a bad move for the Lakers.
Super Eagles GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!
Hoopz Afrik
Veteran
And1: 2,061

Post#71 » by Hoopz Afrik » Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:21 pm

I saw Kevin Pelton gave the Lakers a C for this trade while giving the Thunder an A.

The anti-Lakers bias is very strong.
Super Eagles GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!
Marrrcuss
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,648

Post#72 » by Marrrcuss » Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:32 pm

Remember when GS went 10 deep in 2015 and their bench actually made leads grow with Barbosa and Iggy?

Im seeing Caruso (if not starting) and Schroder in the same mold.
kobe808lak
Sixth Man
And1: 601

Post#73 » by kobe808lak » Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:34 pm

This is a terrific deal. Helps take the load of Lebron and AD..

Just need to replace some wing defense we lost in Danny.. We didn't lose any of his shooting.. he was terrible all year and in the playoffs.
RamonSessions7
RealGM
And1: 4,025

Post#74 » by RamonSessions7 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:47 am

This is a steal. Best move by Rob since I count the AD trade as a Klutch orchestrated gimmee
tugs
RealGM
And1: 2,923

Post#75 » by tugs » Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:25 am

Why are most acting like Schroder will be demoted as a spot up 3pt shooter with LeBron? People forgetting he recently played with a ball dominant but willing HOF passer in CP3 and was also effective with a ball hawk in Westbrook
tamaraw08
Analyst

Post#76 » by tamaraw08 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:21 pm

tugs wrote:Why are most acting like Schroder will be demoted as a spot up 3pt shooter with LeBron? People forgetting he recently played with a ball dominant but willing HOF passer in CP3 and was also effective with a ball hawk in Westbrook

It's a good question bec Vogel had to rest Lebron James like every 8 minutes to keep him fresh. Not a few think the 36 yeal old icon can still dominate the ball at ALL TIMES and play at a very high level for 44 minutes but it's not the case IMO. Even at Miami and Cleveland, Lebron let Wade and Kyrie, respectively to create scoring opportunities while he takes a breather on the floor. Lakers last year were not very good when Lebron sits, thank God for Rondo in the playoffs, he made things happen esp with his 3pt shooting. Pelinka is aware of this so when he found out that offseason would be very short, he quickly pulled the trigger to get 1 of the most prolific guards off the bench last season. I see James playing PG at the start, but I expect Dennis to either start or come off the bench and take PG duties like at the 6th minute mark to relieve pressure from James of having to handle the ball.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers