ImageImageImageImageImage

Where will Raptors play next year if border still closed

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

markR
Sophomore
And1: 79

Re: Where will Raptors play next year if border still closed 

Post#161 » by markR » Sat Nov 14, 2020 12:57 am

I change my response. Our inability to follow rules in the GTA will make it hard for NBA to play here. Ironically has to do with our own irresponsible behaviour. I'm sure it will be blamed on the situation to the south but Manitoba with a 10 percent positive rate is no better than EU or the US. We have ourselves to blame.
polo007
General Manager
And1: 2,652

Post#162 » by polo007 » Sun Nov 15, 2020 1:31 am

Read on Twitter
dgr81
General Manager
And1: 10,889

Post#163 » by dgr81 » Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:57 pm

Ujiri trying to keep the raps in toronto for next season

https://www.thestar.com/sports/raptors/opinion/2020/11/13/raptors-president-masai-ujiris-message-toronto-is-where-we-want-to-be.html

For 65 nights this summer, my home was Room 950 at the Grand Destino hotel. The floor felt a lot like a college dorm, but one where my neighbours were some of the most skilled and famous athletes in the world. Down the hall from Kyle Lowry and Fred VanVleet, a few floors above the Boston Celtics. Running into LeBron James or Doc Rivers in the elevator. That kind of thing.

We were all living together in the NBA’s now-famous bubble, the ultimately successful experiment in running a pro sports league in a pandemic, and yes, life was weird.

But if weird is what it takes to protect public health, then count us in.

Our league and our players set an example and showed how to play safely amid a global pandemic. Inside the bubble, no players tested positive for COVID. We all washed our hands like crazy and wore our masks and had our tests every day — a swab up the nose, and another in the back of your throat. You got used to it. And while our team left before we planned, we all learned some important lessons about safety and responsibility — and about how the NBA, our players and sports in general have a role to play in the new normal we’re all living in.

We hope, very much, that our new normal will be here in Toronto. We hope to play next season in Scotiabank Arena, even if our fans can’t join us in person.

And, of course, we want to do this safely, smartly and responsibly. We wouldn’t even suggest doing it any other way. Public health is the priority. Period.

The onus is on us to figure out a solution that everyone feels will protect Canadians, our players and staff, and their families and neighbours. None of us wants to put anyone we care for at risk. We have to look out for everyone’s health — I am committed to that and that is what we are doing.

We’ve provided detailed proposals to governments about how we, and the teams that visit us, could play safely in Toronto. Our plan builds on things we learned in the bubble, such as daily testing, limiting contact, and safe travel. It’s constructed to keep our players, staff, their families and Canadians healthy, because that has to be the starting point and the end point.

We have to look at other options, because the pre-season is coming up fast — Dec. 1. We are proud to represent our city and our country, and we hope to be able to do that while playing in Toronto. Cities in the United States have been very kind to us — they’ve offered us a home away from home. To them I say: Thank you. To you, I say that I hope we get to tell them we won’t be able to take them up on their generous offer.

Going into the winter months, approaching our second calendar year with COVID, I think sports has a role to play in our collective recovery. I think we can bring people together, even when we are apart. I think we can inspire. I think we can set an example. I know we will share what we will learn playing this season under safety protocols, and maybe that experience makes it a little bit easier for all of us to get back to the lives we left behind in March 2020.

In the NBA bubble, our team spent a lot of time thinking about how we could make a hotel floor feel more like home for our players and our staff. So we put pictures of everyone’s families in their rooms. We pasted action shots from games all over the walls. (I haven’t yet seen a bill for what I’m sure was a big repair paint job.) And whenever you got off the elevators on the ninth floor, and turned to go to your room, the first thing you saw was a massive mural of the Toronto skyline.

Home. It’s where we want to be.
Zeno
RealGM
And1: 19,691

Post#164 » by Zeno » Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:08 am

So they are off to Tampa then.
When will we just change the name of 25 of the 30 teams to the Washington Generals?

Please advise….

Dan G.
OAKLEY_2
RealGM
And1: 8,876

Post#165 » by OAKLEY_2 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:39 pm

Zeno wrote:So they are off to Tampa then.

My question is: why do they need a big arena? Why not find a bubble immitation barn next to Buffalo or Niagara Falls and use taxis or whatever to bring the players in then kick them back out. Our players should never leave Canada. Rather than have all "away" games in secondary American locations the Raps should have Canada border bubble... C'mon Silver. The league acts like it is the employer and Raps just do hosting and admin!
BramptonYute
Head Coach
And1: 8,677

Post#166 » by BramptonYute » Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:49 pm

Its a joke that the government hasnt been able to find a reliable rapid test. Shouldve been a top priority.
markR
Sophomore

Post#167 » by markR » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:35 pm

dgr81 wrote:Ujiri trying to keep the raps in toronto for next season

https://www.thestar.com/sports/raptors/opinion/2020/11/13/raptors-president-masai-ujiris-message-toronto-is-where-we-want-to-be.html

For 65 nights this summer, my home was Room 950 at the Grand Destino hotel. The floor felt a lot like a college dorm, but one where my neighbours were some of the most skilled and famous athletes in the world. Down the hall from Kyle Lowry and Fred VanVleet, a few floors above the Boston Celtics. Running into LeBron James or Doc Rivers in the elevator. That kind of thing.

We were all living together in the NBA’s now-famous bubble, the ultimately successful experiment in running a pro sports league in a pandemic, and yes, life was weird.

But if weird is what it takes to protect public health, then count us in.

Our league and our players set an example and showed how to play safely amid a global pandemic. Inside the bubble, no players tested positive for COVID. We all washed our hands like crazy and wore our masks and had our tests every day — a swab up the nose, and another in the back of your throat. You got used to it. And while our team left before we planned, we all learned some important lessons about safety and responsibility — and about how the NBA, our players and sports in general have a role to play in the new normal we’re all living in.

We hope, very much, that our new normal will be here in Toronto. We hope to play next season in Scotiabank Arena, even if our fans can’t join us in person.

And, of course, we want to do this safely, smartly and responsibly. We wouldn’t even suggest doing it any other way. Public health is the priority. Period.

The onus is on us to figure out a solution that everyone feels will protect Canadians, our players and staff, and their families and neighbours. None of us wants to put anyone we care for at risk. We have to look out for everyone’s health — I am committed to that and that is what we are doing.

We’ve provided detailed proposals to governments about how we, and the teams that visit us, could play safely in Toronto. Our plan builds on things we learned in the bubble, such as daily testing, limiting contact, and safe travel. It’s constructed to keep our players, staff, their families and Canadians healthy, because that has to be the starting point and the end point.

We have to look at other options, because the pre-season is coming up fast — Dec. 1. We are proud to represent our city and our country, and we hope to be able to do that while playing in Toronto. Cities in the United States have been very kind to us — they’ve offered us a home away from home. To them I say: Thank you. To you, I say that I hope we get to tell them we won’t be able to take them up on their generous offer.

Going into the winter months, approaching our second calendar year with COVID, I think sports has a role to play in our collective recovery. I think we can bring people together, even when we are apart. I think we can inspire. I think we can set an example. I know we will share what we will learn playing this season under safety protocols, and maybe that experience makes it a little bit easier for all of us to get back to the lives we left behind in March 2020.

In the NBA bubble, our team spent a lot of time thinking about how we could make a hotel floor feel more like home for our players and our staff. So we put pictures of everyone’s families in their rooms. We pasted action shots from games all over the walls. (I haven’t yet seen a bill for what I’m sure was a big repair paint job.) And whenever you got off the elevators on the ninth floor, and turned to go to your room, the first thing you saw was a massive mural of the Toronto skyline.

Home. It’s where we want to be.

Sounds like a great plan and more cogent and responsible than how people are behaving in the public. And given what, 5 million essential workers enter Canada since March with no required quarantine. Pardon the french, but if Raptors are given the finger by feds, prov and city gov and health officials, we are all fuxked.
markR
Sophomore

Post#168 » by markR » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:39 pm

BramptonYute wrote:Its a joke that the government hasnt been able to find a reliable rapid test. Shouldve been a top priority.

They do. Feds took a ridiculous amount of time to approve it and yet each province appears to be doing the same. It is a joke compounded by a horrible misconception that they have massive false negatives. The test approved by health canada and used by the NBA in the buble. Does not. Earlier tests, yes. I do not get it 8 months in and so many countries around the world have rapid tests and we have people still testing them out. Astonishing. I hope the feds accept the fda approval on the vaccine or I'm sure we will wait a good year after its approved around the world.
scopy
General Manager
And1: 16,421

Post#169 » by scopy » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:53 pm

Duffman100 wrote:
icoholic wrote:
xAIRNESSx wrote:
From the guy replying with personal attacks and emojis. :lol:

Dude.... you're an idiot about basketball and an enormous idiot about the world. You continually try to take over threads with your idiotic political rants.

It's always amazing how you keyboard retards are always so offended by "personal attacks" after dealing out personal attacks.

However, the idiot moderators like Duffman, who is hated by nearly everyone on RealGM let's this **** go. (I have 6 other accounts, ban this if you want Duffman).

This board has become a toilet bowl of stupid, and I blame the moderators. How the **** is Duffman allowed to control anything?

Guys... ... ...

Do people hate me?

Oh and... banned.

I like you and thats all that matters.
Thanks to Turbo_Zone for the sig.

Return to Toronto Raptors