Fall of 2020-21 OKC Thunder Offseason Thread- Rebuild or Maintain?

Moderators: retrobro90, Dadouv47

jake_swivel
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,079

Re: Fall of 2020-21 OKC Thunder Offseason Thread- Rebuild or Maintain? 

Post#261 » by jake_swivel » Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:32 pm

I do like that navy one in the middle. Don’t think I’ve seen it.
retrobro90
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 911

Post#262 » by retrobro90 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:55 pm

Our guys are gonna look like 32oz Love's to-go cups next year
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,203

Post#263 » by ThunderBolt » Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:11 pm

Edit:

Wrong thread.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
jake_swivel
Bench Warmer

Post#264 » by jake_swivel » Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:19 pm

Woj says it’s a 2022 pick. Wonder what the protections are, but I like it.
vtime
Rookie
And1: 247

Post#265 » by vtime » Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:38 pm

Who comes off the bench Dort or Rubio? Or do you start both with Oubre playing the 4?
retrobro90
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 911

Post#266 » by retrobro90 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:39 pm

jake_swivel wrote:Woj says it’s a 2022 pick. Wonder what the protections are, but I like it.

1-12 in 2022, 1-10 in 2023, 1-8 in 2024, unprotected in 2025. Insane rollover on this pick.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#267 » by ThunderBolt » Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:51 pm

vtime wrote:Who comes off the bench Dort or Rubio? Or do you start both with Oubre playing the 4?

Not even sure if these guys stay here.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
vtime
Rookie
And1: 247

Post#268 » by vtime » Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:01 pm

They might not but we thought the same thing with CP3 last summer. Seems like there may be a dual agenda on making playoff runs while rebuilding at the same time because of all the draft picks. The Celtics did it seamlessly shifting from the IT, Horford, Crowder to Tatum Brown years. Clippers did it to from Blake, CP3 to Kawhi, PG. Neither team bottomed out.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#269 » by ThunderBolt » Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:09 pm

vtime wrote:They might not but we thought the same thing with CP3 last summer. Seems like there may be a dual agenda on making playoff runs while rebuilding at the same time because of all the draft picks. The Celtics did it seamlessly shifting from the IT, Horford, Crowder to Tatum Brown years. Clippers did it to from Blake, CP3 to Kawhi, PG. Neither team bottomed out.

I don’t think we’ll try to suck forever but I do think we will tank this year. We really need our own picks to help us get franchise talent. No need to trade 4 picks every year to move in to the top ten because we are making the playoffs.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#270 » by ThunderBolt » Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:47 am

In the g league Lecque shot in 21% from three on 3.5 attempts per game. Also shot 59% from the line. He makes diallo look like Klay Thompson.
spearsy23
RealGM
And1: 7,459

Post#271 » by spearsy23 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 3:05 am

ThunderBolt wrote:In the g league Lecque shot in 21% from three on 3.5 attempts per game. Also shot 59% from the line. He makes diallo look like Klay Thompson.

I mean, they don't call him baby Westbrook because he's a walking triple double.
“If you're getting stops and you're making threes and the other team's not scoring, that's when you're going to see a huge point difference there,” coach Billy Donovan said.
thedoppelganger
Senior
And1: 499

Post#272 » by thedoppelganger » Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:30 am

Read on Twitter

Are the Rockets about to be our competition for bottom seed in the West?
getrichordie
General Manager
And1: 2,309

Post#273 » by getrichordie » Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:31 am

Read on Twitter
[twitter] @thunderdustin
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#274 » by ThunderBolt » Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:06 am

So apparently we need more first round picks. When the day comes that we are a contender again, we’ll need to send 2-4 picks out for roll players on expiring deals.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#275 » by ThunderBolt » Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:07 am

thedoppelganger wrote:
Read on Twitter

Are the Rockets about to be our competition for bottom seed in the West?

Good for Portland. Especially compared to what Milwaukee gave up for jrue.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#276 » by ThunderBolt » Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:23 am

getrichordie wrote:
Read on Twitter

Man Presti picked the ideal year to tank.
PharmD
Head Coach
And1: 5,536

Post#277 » by PharmD » Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:41 am

What's the plan with Ricky? Should the Rubiobros be setting up shop here or is he moving on?
jake_swivel
Bench Warmer

Post#278 » by jake_swivel » Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:31 am

I’d love to hear any/everyone’s thoughts on what they think happens with this current roster or what the direction they’d go if it was up to them. Strip it for further parts or go with this squad?

This team as is has a bunch of quality vets, but they aren’t anywhere near the playoffs. I think they’d be really fun to watch and it would be a good environment for the young guys. Is that a good enough reason to forgo more assets? The new draft odds lower the motivation for a full-on tank, and we have so many draft assets that moving up from say, the 7 or 8 spot to the 3-5 spot shouldn’t be too difficult when there are prospects we like.

And what to do with Oubre? Good young player, but his contract will be up. Say he balls out. From a cap perspective, is it a good plan to sign him to a $20+ million contract? Say he’s worth that. Does it fit a long term plan? Atlanta is rumored to like him and if I remember right they have extra draft picks.

Gosh, I love draft season and the trade deadline so much. Better than Christmas.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#279 » by ThunderBolt » Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:23 am

PharmD wrote:What's the plan with Ricky? Should the Rubiobros be setting up shop here or is he moving on?

Not sure yet. One hand I could see him staying a year if the thunder don’t like offers for him. I know we want to tank this year but we also need to develop young guys. Rubio could be a good pg for helping run some semblance of an offense. On the other hand I expect that he might be the most coveted if he, oubre and green. I don’t think okc wants to keep him but they are probably willing to do so. No leaks from the front office yet.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#280 » by ThunderBolt » Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:40 am

Spoiler:
jake_swivel wrote:I’d love to hear any/everyone’s thoughts on what they think happens with this current roster or what the direction they’d go if it was up to them. Strip it for further parts or go with this squad?

This team as is has a bunch of quality vets, but they aren’t anywhere near the playoffs. I think they’d be really fun to watch and it would be a good environment for the young guys. Is that a good enough reason to forgo more assets? The new draft odds lower the motivation for a full-on tank, and we have so many draft assets that moving up from say, the 7 or 8 spot to the 3-5 spot shouldn’t be too difficult when there are prospects we like.

And what to do with Oubre? Good young player, but his contract will be up. Say he balls out. From a cap perspective, is it a good plan to sign him to a $20+ million contract? Say he’s worth that. Does it fit a long term plan? Atlanta is rumored to like him and if I remember right they have extra draft picks.

Gosh, I love draft season and the trade deadline so much. Better than Christmas.

I’m ok for for trading everyone for assets except Shai, Bazley, this years pick(s) and maybe Dort. Tanking just makes sense with next years draft being so good,. This is kind of a free pass from the ticket sales aspect because of Covid. Ticket sales will suck regardless. Trading green, Rubio and Oubre still might get us more decent vets. Keeping Rubio for a year wouldn’t bother me. I’m not really interested in Oubre long term. He’s just not the piece we need at this point in time.

One of the issues we ran in to with the last generation of the thunder was not having good roll players. Some of that was Sam’s fault. Eventually we just ran out of assets. Let’s say we can get picks for all three of Rubio, Oubre and Green. Those three picks might be what let’s us overpay for a Jrue Holiday that puts us over the top down the road. I don’t see the diminishing return on asset accumulation if managed properly.

The new lottery odds aren’t as favorable for tanking but Presti is one of the GMs who voted against changing the odds. I think he’ll tank for a year, at least. When I say tanking I really mean just rebuilding and letting young guys play. I don’t think he’ll ever do anything to create a losing culture like we saw with teams like Atlanta signing guys to ten day contracts and putting them in at the end of games.

I think it was Keith Smith that tweeted that around half of the GMs told him they didn’t think there was super star talent in this draft but their were all star level players. I want to trade up and find one. I’m ok swinging for the fences this year and taking a boom or bust prospect. I don’t think hitting on our pick this year is as critical as next year. If we find a lower tier star to go alongside shai, then I’m all in on doing whatever possible to get Cade Cunningham next year, even if it means using multiple picks to trade from somewhere like 5 to 1. Something like that potentially has a very promising core with lots of assets left.

And yes, this is the best time of year for me as an nba fan. Especially this year because the games will likely suck.

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder