Image ImageImage Image

OT: COVID-19 thread #3

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

jmajew
Rookie
And1: 339

Re: OT: COVID-19 thread #3 

Post#1041 » by jmajew » Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:44 pm

The Moderna vaccine is showing just under 95% efficacy. More really good news. It is possible come January we could start vaccinating 20-40 million Americans a month. This is absolutely incredible.
Dez
Head Coach
And1: 7,630

Post#1042 » by Dez » Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:37 pm

jmajew wrote:The Moderna vaccine is showing just under 95% efficacy. More really good news. It is possible come January we could start vaccinating 20-40 million Americans a month. This is absolutely incredible.

With the way the majority of Americans have acted throughout this pandemic they should be the last country to receive access to a vaccine.
Butler4thewin
Sixth Man
And1: 532

Post#1043 » by Butler4thewin » Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:34 pm

jmajew wrote:The Moderna vaccine is showing just under 95% efficacy. More really good news. It is possible come January we could start vaccinating 20-40 million Americans a month. This is absolutely incredible.

i wonder if we put this kind of pressure on things like cures for cancer and other things if we can push similar results
Ccwatercraft
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,591

Post#1044 » by Ccwatercraft » Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:11 am

Dez wrote:

With the way the majority of Americans have acted throughout this pandemic they should be the last country to receive access to a vaccine.

That is an awful thing to say.
Dez
Head Coach

Post#1045 » by Dez » Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:26 am

Ccwatercraft wrote:
Dez wrote:

It's not really, if your country took Covid19 as serious as most of the world has then you wouldn't be in the out of control situation you have now.

I didn't say deny them access to a vaccine but why should a country that has dismissed the seriousness of the pandemic have access to a vaccine before those places that acknowledged the seriousness and actively tried to prevent the spread?
Wingy
RealGM
And1: 4,922

Post#1046 » by Wingy » Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:39 am

Dez wrote:
Ccwatercraft wrote:
Dez wrote:

It's not really, if your country took Covid19 as serious as most of the world has then you wouldn't be in the out of control situation you have now.

I didn't say deny them access to a vaccine but why should a country that has dismissed the seriousness of the pandemic have access to a vaccine before those places that acknowledged the seriousness and actively tried to prevent the spread?

Why should we all suffer due to a bunch of meatheads we can’t control?

Americans sadly got split along political lines due to the sad-sack “leadership” of the soon to be former president.

Don’t act like our whole country dismissed it when millions, and millions have taken it very seriously. My state is pretty much the poster child for good, and model behavior...so I’m glad you think we deserve to get to the back of the line because of some dip **** orange orangutan.
Dez
Head Coach

Post#1047 » by Dez » Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:31 am

Wingy wrote:
Dez wrote:
Ccwatercraft wrote:

Why should we all suffer due to a bunch of meatheads we can’t control?

Americans sadly got split along political lines due to the sad-sack “leadership” of the soon to be former president.

Don’t act like our whole country dismissed it when millions, and millions have taken it very seriously. My state is pretty much the poster child for good, and model behavior...so I’m glad you think we deserve to get to the back of the line because of some dip **** orange orangutan.

Key word was majority.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,702

Post#1048 » by dougthonus » Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:52 am

Dez wrote:I didn't say deny them access to a vaccine but why should a country that has dismissed the seriousness of the pandemic have access to a vaccine before those places that acknowledged the seriousness and actively tried to prevent the spread?

I think two American companies that developed the vaccine should withhold it from the rest of the world and make them develop their own. If they wanted a vaccine why didn't they put more money into making one? Or we could both just not say irrational, mean-spirited things which are offensive to huge amounts of people.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
Dez
Head Coach

Post#1049 » by Dez » Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:03 am

dougthonus wrote:
Dez wrote:I didn't say deny them access to a vaccine but why should a country that has dismissed the seriousness of the pandemic have access to a vaccine before those places that acknowledged the seriousness and actively tried to prevent the spread?

I think two American companies that developed the vaccine should withhold it from the rest of the world and make them develop their own. If they wanted a vaccine why didn't they put more money into making one? Or we could both just not say irrational, mean-spirited things which are offensive to huge amounts of people.

Other countries are developing their own vaccines, the University of Queensland has been testing their potential vaccine with promising signs especially in elderly patients.

America needs a vaccine right now to get coronavirus anywhere near under control, obviously the rest of the world needs one to get back to normal but in the meantime the work other countries put in from the start means we have something resembling normal life while a vaccine is developed.
ChiCitySPORTS#1
RealGM
And1: 5,450

Post#1050 » by ChiCitySPORTS#1 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:43 pm

Dez wrote:

edited out this post to stop this line of discussion, see below.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,702

Post#1051 » by dougthonus » Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:22 pm

Dez has been warned for his post, let's end this thread of conversation, I have removed a few of these posts
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
jmajew
Rookie
And1: 339

Post#1052 » by jmajew » Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:27 pm

Well Illinois is basically in lockdown again...

All of Illinois will enter Tier 3 coronavirus mitigations under the state's plan as hospitalizations and cases continue to rise, Gov. J.B. Pritzker announced Tuesday.

Beginning Friday, new guidelines will be in place for retailers, gyms, hotels, restaurants, bars and more, according to state officials.

“To stop this spread and preserve some semblance of the holidays, all of us need to do more than just wear our masks now – though masks are mandatory throughout the state. The simple fact is that COVID-19 is spreading so quickly and so widely, and our hospitals are beginning to experience real strain and at the current infection rate they will be overwhelmed. So whenever possible, we need you to stay home,” Pritzker said in a statement. “I’m hopeful that by limiting our in-person interactions, we will succeed at avoiding a stay at home order like what we had in the spring – when the choice between saving lives and saving livelihoods was even more stark. Tier 3 may allow us to do both. Like in other states like Michigan and California and Washington, it’s our best effort to avoid a stay-at-home order and save lives.”

https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/all-of-illinois-to-enter-tier-3-mitigations-this-week-gov-pritzker-announces/2373619/
Dresden
RealGM
And1: 5,857

Post#1053 » by Dresden » Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:34 am

It is great news we'll soon have a vaccine. I think curing cancer is an entirely different task though- and I would be that the cumulative amount of money spend on cancer research far exceeds the amount spent on developing this virus vaccine.

It's funny though that they already know ways to, if not cure, then at least to greatly decrease the likelihood of heart disease, stroke, diabetes, and cancer, but people don't want to do what it takes to do that- eat better, get more exercise, lose weight, etc. It's much easier just to take a pill or get a shot.
ImSlower
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,426

Post#1054 » by ImSlower » Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:58 am

This evil virus is no joke.

I had mentioned here how irresponsible my town has been. Well, after the election was called, I celebrated with a person whose coworkers had spread it around. This wasnt made clear to me until long into the night. I was pissed, but didn't kick her out, because, well, by then. Anyways, I am not working right now anyway, and am able to isolate easily. Sure enough, I tested 5 days later and was emailed a positive result. I am healthy, no respiratory symptoms. So I'm 10 days in, 100% asymptomatic.

But tonight, while cooking up a storm, I realized I couldn't smell any of it. Good food has been my lifeline through 8 months of isolating with almost no contact. I was shoving my nose into my spice rack trying to tell them apart. I lost my smell and taste within three hours.

This **** sucks. My meal looks delicious. It's just warm calories with texture on a plate.

Anyway, I am confident I will weather this, although I have lost friends and more to it. I'm very healthy. But god damn I want to savor this flawless meal I worked at for 2 hours. Please keep your social circles small, everyone. I would bet I've behaved safer than 90% of the population, but one night was all it took.
bulls_troy
General Manager
And1: 270

Post#1055 » by bulls_troy » Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:49 am

Here in South Australia we've gone into total lockdown for the next 6 days as we've had a cluster outbreak and our government is jumping all over it and shutting everything done before its out of control
Twitter: @bulls_troy
jordanwilliams6
Analyst
And1: 3,015

Post#1056 » by jordanwilliams6 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:57 am

AirLaVine8 wrote:Here in South Australia we've gone into total lockdown for the next 6 days as we've had a cluster outbreak and our government is jumping all over it and shutting everything done before its out of control

Don’t go all Melbourne. The last few months haven’t been fun.

I feel like other countries would be shocked with how we’re dealing with it. South Australian in a harsher lockdown than Melbourne all because of a couple of dozen cases. It’s amazing the contrast in approaches between US and Australia.
bulls_troy
General Manager
And1: 270

Post#1057 » by bulls_troy » Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:26 am

jordanwilliams6 wrote:
AirLaVine8 wrote:Here in South Australia we've gone into total lockdown for the next 6 days as we've had a cluster outbreak and our government is jumping all over it and shutting everything done before its out of control

Don’t go all Melbourne. The last few months haven’t been fun.

I feel like other countries would be shocked with how we’re dealing with it. South Australian in a harsher lockdown than Melbourne all because of a couple of dozen cases. It’s amazing the contrast in approaches between US and Australia.

Yea Marshall has gone hard now to prevent what happened in Melbourne
Twitter: @bulls_troy
Dresden
RealGM
And1: 5,857

Post#1058 » by Dresden » Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:32 pm

ImSlower wrote:This evil virus is no joke.

I had mentioned here how irresponsible my town has been. Well, after the election was called, I celebrated with a person whose coworkers had spread it around. This wasnt made clear to me until long into the night. I was pissed, but didn't kick her out, because, well, by then. Anyways, I am not working right now anyway, and am able to isolate easily. Sure enough, I tested 5 days later and was emailed a positive result. I am healthy, no respiratory symptoms. So I'm 10 days in, 100% asymptomatic.

But tonight, while cooking up a storm, I realized I couldn't smell any of it. Good food has been my lifeline through 8 months of isolating with almost no contact. I was shoving my nose into my spice rack trying to tell them apart. I lost my smell and taste within three hours.

This **** sucks. My meal looks delicious. It's just warm calories with texture on a plate.

Anyway, I am confident I will weather this, although I have lost friends and more to it. I'm very healthy. But god damn I want to savor this flawless meal I worked at for 2 hours. Please keep your social circles small, everyone. I would bet I've behaved safer than 90% of the population, but one night was all it took.

Sorry to hear that you contracted the virus. But glad to hear you're asymptomatic for the most part. Hopefully you won't have any other symptoms other than loss of smell....
Ccwatercraft
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,591

Post#1059 » by Ccwatercraft » Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:50 pm

I've heard many times how serious Australia was about addressing covid.

https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/australia/panic-buying-across-south-australia-as-state-goes-into-lockdown/ar-BB1b749s?pfr=1&c=1926525302346318136&mkt=en-us+

Happen to stumble across this link, not really familiar with the source, but what shocked me a bit was the pictures, mask compliance appears to be shockingly low. I haven't seen compliance that low here in Florida since maybe Mid March and we don't have a mandate. If I walked into a store and saw that many faces without masks I'd walk right back out.
ImSlower
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,426

Post#1060 » by ImSlower » Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:03 pm

Dresden wrote:Sorry to hear that you contracted the virus. But glad to hear you're asymptomatic for the most part. Hopefully you won't have any other symptoms other than loss of smell....

Thanks, man. I am "lucky" in that I already am almost completely isolated, and have parents in the area who have been kind enough to drop off groceries outside the door. Doing laundry in my bathtub today was an experience I hope I don't have to suffer again.

I do have a bit of taste - I'd equate it to a very near-sighted person trying to drive without their prescription glasses. I can definitely taste the Gatorade, but only barely. Smell is all but gone. Absolutely bizarre. As I said, food and cooking have been extremely important to me - I've always enjoyed cooking, but have made myself some of the best meals I've ever come up with this year. Nothing wild, but it's nice to know I can generally make a meal as good or better than most takeout. I can't wait for that sense to come back. Hopefully in less than a week. Still no fever or respiratory symptoms, so I am blessed in that regard.

Ccwatercraft wrote:I've heard many times how serious Australia was about addressing covid.

https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/australia/panic-buying-across-south-australia-as-state-goes-into-lockdown/ar-BB1b749s?pfr=1&c=1926525302346318136&mkt=en-us+

Happen to stumble across this link, not really familiar with the source, but what shocked me a bit was the pictures, mask compliance appears to be shockingly low. I haven't seen compliance that low here in Florida since maybe Mid March and we don't have a mandate. If I walked into a store and saw that many faces without masks I'd walk right back out.

They are behaving much like you yourself were behaving in March, when cases had not hit your region en masse. We have a lot of great Aussie posters here who could probably give their experiences in that country. I have a friend in Melbourne who said the shutdown was taken extremely seriously during their bad outbreak.

Return to Chicago Bulls