ImageImageImage

Pandemic 2

Moderator: ijspeelman

Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Pandemic 2 

Post#1 » by Stillwater » Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:23 am

This thread is for Pandemic news sharing and how it has impacted the NBA among other things.
The newest data shows it is definitely not looking promising at all 10 months into it.
Ohio is seeing bad trends for sure and it appears as if the virus has as I suspected been far more
widespread that test results have shown all along...just too many asymptomatic carriers not getting
tested and also not wearing PPE is the only explanation for such rapid spread in now even rural America.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/every-indicator-is-bad-dewine-says-ohio-s-covid-19-data-trends-could-put-state-in-big-trouble/ar-BB1agNnm?ocid=msedgdhp
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/cdc-75-percent-of-us-seeing-increases-in-covid-19-cases-in-critical-phase-of-pandemic/ar-BB1agC9R?ocid=msedgdhp
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
Stillwater
RealGM

Re: Pandemic 2 

Post#2 » by Stillwater » Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:07 pm

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/us-tops-one-day-record-with-83-757-covid-19-cases-exceeding-previous-summer-high/ar-BB1alTUs?ocid=msedgdhp
Personally see this getting even worse than I thought and I was always one of the first to think it would slam us given so many Americans refusal to follow guidelines etc [ and in this case the guidelines were slow to truth and sugarcoated] and maybe the refusals early on were with good reason since there has not been anything like this to ever hit this country ever and people dont like to over react and panic. But the truth is even the 6' distancing still being claimed is not enough without PPE and never will be.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#3 » by Stillwater » Sun Nov 1, 2020 8:14 pm

So I am not interested in any political arguments, but when the lead infectious disease expert is taking a stand against the current white house approach I think its worth sharing it.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/fauci-rips-white-house-coronavirus-approach/ar-BB1aAD1K?ocid=msedgdhp
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#4 » by Stillwater » Tue Nov 10, 2020 12:58 am

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/update-northeast-ohio-schools-react-to-rising-covid-19-cases-some-schools-go-virtual/ar-BB1aQQWK?ocid=msedgdhp
if you have kids its worth a quick look here. I cannot believe there are still some people at these meetings claiming schools dont spread Covid-19 when the number of kids testing positive is substantial.
Hope that there is a way to help those struggling to balance work and school aside from them trying to convince themselves the only option is their kids going to school.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#5 » by Stillwater » Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:50 pm

Cases getting out of control heading into winter... this mandate should have been in place continuously from DEC 2019
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/ohio-governor-imposes-tough-new-mask-mandate/ar-BB1aX2PA?ocid=msedgdhp
Yet people continue to be fools only wearing masks in public places and not when around friends or family etc.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 31,982

Post#6 » by jbk1234 » Fri Nov 13, 2020 3:03 pm

Yeah, it's bad. People will get sick, hospitals will already be over capacity, and only then will some people *get it.*

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using RealGM mobile app
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#7 » by Stillwater » Fri Nov 13, 2020 4:10 pm

jbk1234 wrote:Yeah, it's bad. People will get sick, hospitals will already be over capacity, and only then will some people *get it.*

My feeling is as a rule its natural to resist change when it adds work or causes discomfort but its sad so many continue even now to ignore basic understanding of germ transfer... probably because so many have no symptoms even though the infection rate is pushing 15% in Ohio only those in tune with ease of the aerosol spread and maybe more so here those who are always prepared for the worst or did the research themselves are getting it exactly right.

I see the hospital workers without eye protection constantly and in general doesnt have enough enforcement of its own staff usually admin who walk around with masks but no shields no goggles etc because they dont have hands on patient duty etc or won't provide the goggles.
Its too late unfortunately imo we are headed for a full country wide shut down since the majority of infected youth in this country continue to act normal and as asymptomatic carriers dont get tested etc.
I try to tell people, when you want medication quickly you inject it or breath it in vapor or you put in under your tongue you dont take a pill and expect it to work immediately... getting a pinhead sized aerosol containing the virus direct in your eye is highly probable to be why so many mask wearing but highly sociable people are getting it.
But as an example cc hospital admin claims its not being spread at the clinic but at home if infected children are around them or employee has let guard down but not in our safe hospital.

Id like to just once hear somebody admit this will end all freedom and forever alter the ability to rebuild if those who are apparently to dumb to see the big picture or to narcissist to care dont live uncomfortable for awhile to get past the super spread.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 31,982

Post#8 » by jbk1234 » Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:13 pm

Stillwater wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:Yeah, it's bad. People will get sick, hospitals will already be over capacity, and only then will some people *get it.*

My feeling is as a rule its natural to resist change when it adds work or causes discomfort but its sad so many continue even now to ignore basic understanding of germ transfer... probably because so many have no symptoms even though the infection rate is pushing 15% in Ohio only those in tune with ease of the aerosol spread and maybe more so here those who are always prepared for the worst or did the research themselves are getting it exactly right.

I see the hospital workers without eye protection constantly and in general doesnt have enough enforcement of its own staff usually admin who walk around with masks but no shields no goggles etc because they dont have hands on patient duty etc or won't provide the goggles.
Its too late unfortunately imo we are headed for a full country wide shut down since the majority of infected youth in this country continue to act normal and as asymptomatic carriers dont get tested etc.
I try to tell people, when you want medication quickly you inject it or breath it in vapor or you put in under your tongue you dont take a pill and expect it to work immediately... getting a pinhead sized aerosol containing the virus direct in your eye is highly probable to be why so many mask wearing but highly sociable people are getting it.
But as an example cc hospital admin claims its not being spread at the clinic but at home if infected children are around them or employee has let guard down but not in our safe hospital.

Id like to just once hear somebody admit this will end all freedom and forever alter the ability to rebuild if those who are apparently to dumb to see the big picture or to narcissist to care dont live uncomfortable for awhile to get past the super spread.
I mean the people at bars and restaurants, and there's a lot of them, aren't wearing masks at all. People in trades/construction routinely fail to wear masks at all. People in retail pull the mask down below their nose all the time. There are still plenty of people who don't take it seriously.

cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#9 » by Stillwater » Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:41 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
Stillwater wrote:

I mean the people at bars and restaurants, and there's a lot of them, aren't wearing masks at all. People in trades/construction routinely fail to wear masks at all. People in retail pull the mask down below their nose all the time. There are still plenty of people who don't take it seriously.

yep there is a misconception that if you are able to stay 6 feet away its ok to occupy the same enclosed room as if that air cant move with a heating system farther than that or when outside like the wind is not a factor...
its just ignorance more than anything.
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,351

Post#10 » by JonFromVA » Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:53 am

Stillwater wrote:

Last I'd read the virus wouldn't pass by the eye, is there something new on that?

Fact is masks and social distancing only lower the risks and the likely severity if contracted, they do not eliminate it. Even an N95 mask only filters out 95% of small particles.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#11 » by Stillwater » Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:01 am

JonFromVA wrote:
Stillwater wrote:

Last I'd read the virus wouldn't pass by the eye, is there something new on that?

Fact is masks and social distancing only lower the risks and the likely severity if contracted, they do not eliminate it. Even an N95 mask only filters out 95% of small particles.

I have never read anywhere that you cant get it if aerosol or close contact droplet hits your eye and imo common sense says you absolutely can.
I agree the mask issues extend beyond wearing them or wearing them properly esp given so many are not even close to capable of prevention if an infected person is sneezing with a thin dust mask or something homemade.
Ive given up on society taking it seriously just too many too "above it" or ignorant too see the big picture like how this is just in the first trimester
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#12 » by JonFromVA » Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:41 pm

Stillwater wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
Stillwater wrote:My feeling is as a rule its natural to resist change when it adds work or causes discomfort but its sad so many continue even now to ignore basic understanding of germ transfer... probably because so many have no symptoms even though the infection rate is pushing 15% in Ohio only those in tune with ease of the aerosol spread and maybe more so here those who are always prepared for the worst or did the research themselves are getting it exactly right.

I have never read anywhere that you cant get it if aerosol or close contact droplet hits your eye and imo common sense says you absolutely can.
I agree the mask issues extend beyond wearing them or wearing them properly esp given so many are not even close to capable of prevention if an infected person is sneezing with a thin dust mask or something homemade.
Ive given up on society taking it seriously just too many too "above it" or ignorant too see the big picture like how this is just in the first trimester

There still isn't much information on aersolization let alone whether it can pass that way to the eye.

I do see claims that the virus can be transmitted via the eyes, but the focus in on droplets (getting coughed in your face by someone who's infected, or rubbing your eyes after touching an infected surface). If aerosolization was a significant risk factor, then medical personnel wearing only face shields would be in great danger of contracting the virus.

Something to keep an "eye" on ...
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#13 » by Stillwater » Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:10 am

JonFromVA wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

There still isn't much information on aersolization let alone whether it can pass that way to the eye.

I do see claims that the virus can be transmitted via the eyes, but the focus in on droplets (getting coughed in your face by someone who's infected, or rubbing your eyes after touching an infected surface). If aerosolization was a significant risk factor, then medical personnel wearing only face shields would be in great danger of contracting the virus.

Something to keep an "eye" on ...

Imo they absolutely are getting it ...you know they do what the can yo protect themselves so its not much of a headscratcher most have full face covering that know the odds.
But the fine line is crossed by medical administration or similar non direct patient contact personel often not following the direction they enforce.
Even if it were not as likely you would get it from aerosol eye contact as a sneeze in the face which i completely disagree with because it makes perfect sense as the denial of it is when people are letting guard down around seemingly healthy asymptomatic carriers... And breaking aerosol distance rules which are much farther travel than 6feet etc assuming they are safe...false
The sad reality is people continue to demand they get it and suffer before they believe its real
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#14 » by Stillwater » Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:06 pm

Apparently there is wide spread belief in America for some reason that the virus is not that bad... I guess I can understand that if you are only basing your opinion on associations around you family coworkers friend networks etc but because the number of actual people most people really know who have gotten it and had complications where they would warn them are far less than people stop and factor into the equation. In Ohio the % is hoovering around 15% I remember at the beginning of all this they were claiming %5 was catastrophic.
I know of some people myself outside my close circle that died of it already and many that have tested positive but since they are with no major symptoms according to them seemingly go on ignoring the rules at home and around kids... and believing the lies. but 1 that is currently in the ICU with children that cant visit her begs to differ, and she wore a damn mask but never had eye protection on. She worked in a cubicle setting with 1 other person just barely 6 feet away. and several people in the same office in their cubicles etc. many of whom did not keep their masks over their mouth when on the phone unless the boss came into the room which always was warned about by someone in the aisle .
A person I knew as only a coworker of mine years ago posted online that a month after she had tested positive and went to be retested and tested negative was simply told the complications of the virus for asymptomatic carriers is too vague and undeterminable at this stage in time of the covid 19 research etc etc but she should assume there will be underlying impact on her health long term after having it even without typical symptoms when testing positive. WTF
I reached out to her after seeing the post but her account was recently gone cold.

A closer friend from college in his 40s lost the battle initially mentioned heart palpitations and shortness of breath and did not have any underlying conditions and died within hrs of getting admitted. He had tested negative multiple times requirement of his job to be tested and he often complained of people in his close circle how they ignored PPE suggestions. The positive results came back for him the day he died.
The same guys kids tested positive in the days after he died none had any symptoms. Also of note his wife is a frontline worker who had never tested positive but has developed terrible headaches , random eye blurring and unexplained fatigue for several months since he died and she always wore a face shield at work before she had to quit.
If you ask me a lot of tests are still false negative....
-----------
Here is a quote from Fauci today that prompted me sharing this:
"When you ask me about frustration, which borders on pain, it's that either people don't want to look at the data or they look at the data and they say it's fake. No, it isn't fake. ... This is a global issue," said Fauci.
full article :https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/fauci-gets-frustrated-get-rid-of-these-ridiculous-conspiracy-theories/ar-BB1bd91e?ocid=msedgdhp
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#15 » by Stillwater » Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:44 pm

https://www.msnbc.com/deadline-white-house/watch/dr-gupta-traveling-for-thanksgiving-could-pose-the-deepest-consequence-of-all-96475205699
please watch this interview where Dr. Bin Gupta mentions the need for eye covering around the 3:20 mark ,I wish more of these doctors were as clear and to the point as this guy has been throughout the past months.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#16 » by Stillwater » Fri Nov 27, 2020 1:46 am

Here is an ICU doc giving an emotional plea for PPE
Read on Twitter
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#17 » by JonFromVA » Fri Nov 27, 2020 5:43 pm

Stillwater wrote:https://www.msnbc.com/deadline-white-house/watch/dr-gupta-traveling-for-thanksgiving-could-pose-the-deepest-consequence-of-all-96475205699
please watch this interview where Dr. Bin Gupta mentions the need for eye covering around the 3:20 mark ,I wish more of these doctors were as clear and to the point as this guy has been throughout the past months.

Vin recommends an "eye shield" not a complete eye mask and a 3-ply surgical mask when traveling.

That sounds practical to me, but if the goal is to not have to look that emergency room doctor in the eye, we should be wearing something much closer to what he is.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#18 » by Stillwater » Fri Nov 27, 2020 7:10 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
Stillwater wrote:https://www.msnbc.com/deadline-white-house/watch/dr-gupta-traveling-for-thanksgiving-could-pose-the-deepest-consequence-of-all-96475205699

Vin recommends an "eye shield" not a complete eye mask and a 3-ply surgical mask when traveling.

That sounds practical to me, but if the goal is to not have to look that emergency room doctor in the eye, we should be wearing something much closer to what he is.

yeah he calls it a shield but he is putting goggles on his face so there is certainly a issue with clarity in understanding that you must call something by its proper name.
The reality is few if any are making it clear that you need eye protection of any kind esp in highly populated areas like airports because the main concern there remains sneeze droplets but is also factoring the aerosol travel within a highly populated airport setting which is indoors.
the video of the ICU doc and what he is wearing is exactly what I look like when I go to the store, which I have stopped doing now that most of Ohio is pushing Purple
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#19 » by JonFromVA » Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:03 pm

Stillwater wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

yeah he calls it a shield but he is putting goggles on his face so there is certainly a issue with clarity in understanding that you must call something by its proper name.
The reality is few if any are making it clear that you need eye protection of any kind esp in highly populated areas like airports because the main concern there remains sneeze droplets but is also factoring the aerosol travel within a highly populated airport setting which is indoors.
the video of the ICU doc and what he is wearing is exactly what I look like when I go to the store, which I have stopped doing now that most of Ohio is pushing Purple

I wouldn't call what Gupta is demonstrating - "goggles", they don't seal around his eyes but are marginally more protective than eyeglasses thanks to a fatter nose bridge.

The idea that a face shield or barrier is an acceptable alternative to a mask is becoming pervasive (thank you NFL), but there's no evidence this is actually the case.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#20 » by Stillwater » Mon Nov 30, 2020 5:00 am

JonFromVA wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

I wouldn't call what Gupta is demonstrating - "goggles", they don't seal around his eyes but are marginally more protective than eyeglasses thanks to a fatter nose bridge.

The idea that a face shield or barrier is an acceptable alternative to a mask is becoming pervasive (thank you NFL), but there's no evidence this is actually the case.
right they are not swim goggles that he puts on they look like standard safety glasses so shield isnt the proper name.
The point was and remains for me only the fact that he mentioned eye protection being something hed highly recommend if travelling which imo means public transportation.
Shields cover the entire face and are now what all medical personel are wearing with masks unless they have goggles like our good icu doc in the last thing you'll see video

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers