Image ImageImage Image

OT Bears 2019/20 season

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

Payt10
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 9,200

Re: OT Bears 2019/20 season 

Post#1681 » by Payt10 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:30 am

It's time for a firesale.

Ryan Pace and Matt Nagy should both be fired before the night is over. I'm done with both of them.

Trade Mack, Hicks, and Fuller for a couple of draft picks, and use those extra 1st rounders to grab a QB and a couple of OL and rebuild the offense under a new HC and system.

This is the most unwatchable offense I think I've seen since 2004. It might even be worse.
"All I want to do is grab somebody and bang nowadays" -Brad Miller
Brothaman33
Senior
And1: 443

Post#1682 » by Brothaman33 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:32 am

I'm back to Mitch knowing full well he probably sucks. Younger, more mobile and he can miss all the same throws Foles can.

Miller stays in at punt returner
Alex Bars remains at Guard
Rashad Coward gets cut
Lamar Miller gets more carries
I literally cut screen plays out of the playbook, every pass has to go vertical
I aim to throw the ball downfield REGARDLESS if the line can block it or not. I'd rather take 14 sacks then watch another 1 yard screen pass. THROW THE BALL DOWN FIELD. Maybe you get a PI call.

I don't believe the talent of the recieving core is the issue. The line sucks, the playcalling sucks and your QB sucks.
"Thibs and Deng make Skiles and Duhon look like a one night stand" - Red Larrivee
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 32,381

Post#1683 » by fleet » Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:36 am

dice wrote:
Susan wrote:The Bears have historically held Dalvin Cook to low numbers and last week held big ass Derrick Henry to paultry numbers.

The offense was anemic and predictable, if we can take Cook out of the game and put it on Cousin's shoulders and if we can be just a smidge better/less predictable, this is a very winnable game.

Go into the bye on a high note and prepare for war against GB. Keep the lockerroom together, let the line heal up and get ANY sort of rhythm with the offense and we're going to be OK.

you're relentlessly optimistic, i'll give ya that!

Ownership feeds on optimism from Bears fans. If any McCaskey is still involved in the decisions made, well that’s a shame.
Brad Biggs wrote:Fields was in the bottom third of the league in too many key statistical metrics for the Bears to commit to the idea of trading down from the first pick for a bundle of future assets and then building around him.
Susan
RealGM
And1: 7,429

Post#1684 » by Susan » Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:36 am

Another swing at a QB in the draft with this defense, a beefed up O-Line and a competent offensive HC and this team could be really. something.

Pace really has done a good job of drafting and adding talent but I'd understand if they fired him. Nagy's good record is because of the defense that Pace built. He's going to lose this team especially if Mitch can't come back for the Packers game.
Payt10
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 9,200

Post#1685 » by Payt10 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:43 am

Susan wrote:Another swing at a QB in the draft with this defense, a beefed up O-Line and a competent offensive HC and this team could be really. something.

Pace really has done a good job of drafting and adding talent but I'd understand if they fired him. Nagy's good record is because of the defense that Pace built. He's going to lose this team especially if Mitch can't come back for the Packers game.

Nah, this defense is the oldest in the league and have continued to trend downward since 2018. They are more than a player or two away on offense from being a SB team. It's time for a full rebuild.
"All I want to do is grab somebody and bang nowadays" -Brad Miller
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#1686 » by fleet » Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:45 am

Susan wrote:Another swing at a QB in the draft with this defense, a beefed up O-Line and a competent offensive HC and this team could be really. something.

No way should Pace be allowed choose another quarterback. If thats the plan. No **** way.
Brad Biggs wrote:Fields was in the bottom third of the league in too many key statistical metrics for the Bears to commit to the idea of trading down from the first pick for a bundle of future assets and then building around him.
BigUps
RealGM
And1: 5,600

Post#1687 » by BigUps » Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:46 am

We obviously have massive holes in talent, but this offensive system is awful. The entire system is gimmicks. Typically you run one or two gimmick plays a game and we run 5 of them and in big situations. What makes it worse is that they aren’t even hidden. We telegraph them with our personnel.

There is also zero change of pace plays. Zero draws and zero RB screens. Defenses just pin their ears back and come after Foles who is immobile and throws off his back foot when under pressure.

Lastly, where are the routes across the middle of the field? We never run a drag or crossing route. It’s nonexistent in the offense.

If I owned the team I’d fire Pace and Nagy tonight. It’s not good enough. QB and RB injuries are an excuse. Look at Jacksonville who are trying to lose and they still have a better offense. This is a system failure and bad decisions like signing Graham and trading for Foles. This is the leaderships mess. Fire them mid season like they do in soccer to managers.
Susan
RealGM

Post#1688 » by Susan » Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:57 am

Payt10 wrote:

Nah, this defense is the oldest in the league and have continued to trend downward since 2018. They are more than a player or two away on offense from being a SB team. It's time for a full rebuild.

It's good to give a young QB a good defense.

You can roll with:
Mack (29)
Hicks (31)
Jackson (26)
Fuller (28)
Johnson (21)
Smith (23)
Quinn (not getting out from that contract next season) (30)
Danny T (30)

And still have a top 5-10 defense. This isn't like that last year with Briggs and co where they were all aging out. These guys have big contracts and are all playing extremely well. Hicks and Quinn are the only concerns and Hicks is on the final year of his deal next year.

You give an actual offensive mind that defense and a young QB and that's better than a full on rebuild.
Dresden
RealGM
And1: 5,864

Post#1689 » by Dresden » Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:02 am

Payt10 wrote:It's time for a firesale.

Ryan Pace and Matt Nagy should both be fired before the night is over. I'm done with both of them.

Trade Mack, Hicks, and Fuller for a couple of draft picks, and use those extra 1st rounders to grab a QB and a couple of OL and rebuild the offense under a new HC and system.

This is the most unwatchable offense I think I've seen since 2004. It might even be worse.

Agree 100%. they need to clean house. The offense has been a disaster for years now. How can you not fix something in that amount of time and still have a job?

I feel sorry for that defense. They're on the field for about 80% of the game. the offense ought to give them their salaries. They sure aren't earning them.
thedarkstark
Analyst
And1: 1,224

Post#1690 » by thedarkstark » Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:02 am

johnnyvann840 wrote:
fleet wrote:
IliketheBullsNBearstoo wrote:I miss Mitch.

Think a prime Peyton Manning could rescue the season?

Im on the tank

Peyton would get killed behind this O line. We need prime Bobby Douglass. He rushed for almost 1000 yards one year when I was a kid. That was unheard of for a QB.

You know Vick ran for 1000 in 2006, and Lamar Jackson ran for 1,200 last season right?

Back on topic: time to blow it up. Cut everyone, fire Nagy and Pace tonight.
Dresden
RealGM

Post#1691 » by Dresden » Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:05 am

Brothaman33 wrote:I'm back to Mitch knowing full well he probably sucks. Younger, more mobile and he can miss all the same throws Foles can.

Miller stays in at punt returner
Alex Bars remains at Guard
Rashad Coward gets cut
Lamar Miller gets more carries
I literally cut screen plays out of the playbook, every pass has to go vertical
I aim to throw the ball downfield REGARDLESS if the line can block it or not. I'd rather take 14 sacks then watch another 1 yard screen pass. THROW THE BALL DOWN FIELD. Maybe you get a PI call.

I don't believe the talent of the recieving core is the issue. The line sucks, the playcalling sucks and your QB sucks.

That was just so typical and so pathetic on the last drive when they threw a WR screen to the left that should have lost 5 yards but Patterson turned into a 2 yard gain, and then on the very next play, they go right back to the same damn play on the other side of the field, and lose 5 yards. How unimaginative can you be? I'd love to see their playbook. Plays 1-75 are screen passes. Plays 76-99 are running plays. Play 100 is a downfield pass.
johnnyvann840
RealGM
And1: 18,703

Post#1692 » by johnnyvann840 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:09 am

thedarkstark wrote:
johnnyvann840 wrote:
fleet wrote:Think a prime Peyton Manning could rescue the season?

Im on the tank

Peyton would get killed behind this O line. We need prime Bobby Douglass. He rushed for almost 1000 yards one year when I was a kid. That was unheard of for a QB.

You know Vick ran for 1000 in 2006, and Lamar Jackson ran for 1,200 last season right?

It was a joke. Bobby Douglass did that for the Bears in 1972. I was saying that back in those days that was pretty remarkable. Back then there weren't very many running backs even rushing for 1000 yards. It was a pretty major accomplishment. There were a handful of guys but not like today. I can remember Douglass pretty well even though I was really young at the time. He was a lefty and he had an arm like a rifle but had no touch.. he would just throw the hardest passes every time at guys. Most of the time he would just take off running.
I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth. - Hunter S. Thompson
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#1693 » by fleet » Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:09 am

Susan wrote:
Payt10 wrote:

You can roll with:
Mack (29)
Hicks (31)
Jackson (26)
Fuller (28)
Johnson (21)
Smith (23)
Danny T (30)

And still have a top 5-10 defense. This isn't like that last year with Briggs and co where they were all aging out. These guys have big contracts and are all playing extremely well. Hicks and Quinn are the only concerns and Hicks is on the final year of his deal next year.

You give an actual offensive mind that defense and a young QB and that's better than a full on rebuild.

Speaking of actual offensive minds, this coaching staff was billed as hooking up every frigging genius in college and beyond. Something’s gotta give. This is a talent league, and there is no way to coach this up with a rookie quarterback and expect success. Every rookie struggles. Every one. On this team a rookie QB might be ruined forever.
Dresden
RealGM

Post#1694 » by Dresden » Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:10 am

The bad part is that the defense plays good enough to keep us in games, so the coaches think they are actually in games, when in fact the team is miles away from being to compete with really good teams. MN was supposed to be garbage, and we lost to them tonight, at home. Without the runback by Cordarelle and the pick by Mack, we would have lost 19-3.
Dresden
RealGM

Post#1695 » by Dresden » Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:12 am

johnnyvann840 wrote:
thedarkstark wrote:
johnnyvann840 wrote:

It was a joke. Bobby Douglass did that in 1972. I was saying that back in those days that was pretty remarkable. Back then there weren't very many running backs even rushing for 1000 yards. It was a pretty major accomplishment. There were a handful of guys but not like today. I can remember Douglass pretty well even though I was really young at the time. He was a lefty and he had an arm like a rifle but had no touch.. he would just throw the hardest passes every time at guys. Most of the time he would just take off running.

I remember him, too. DIdn't he throw a pass 80 yards, into the wind, with a broken wrist once?
Susan
RealGM

Post#1696 » by Susan » Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:13 am

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/tools/roster/chicago-bears/2021/

If you wanna play with the salary cap for next season...
Susan
RealGM

Post#1697 » by Susan » Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:21 am

fleet wrote:
Susan wrote:
Payt10 wrote:Nah, this defense is the oldest in the league and have continued to trend downward since 2018. They are more than a player or two away on offense from being a SB team. It's time for a full rebuild.

You can roll with:
Mack (29)
Hicks (31)
Jackson (26)
Fuller (28)
Johnson (21)
Smith (23)
Danny T (30)

Speaking of actual offensive minds, this coaching staff was billed as hooking up every frigging genius in college and beyond. Something’s gotta give. This is a talent league, and there is no way to coach this up with a rookie quarterback and expect success. Every rookie struggles. Every one. On this team a rookie QB might be ruined forever.

There wouldn't be SB expectations though. We all know what's up here.

Considering the cap situation, the ages and the performance I think it's prudent to keep the defense together rather than sell em off for pennies on the dollar.
Chi town
RealGM
And1: 6,998

Post#1698 » by Chi town » Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:24 am

Unwatchable.

Pace picked Glennon, Mitch, and traded for Foles.

Wonder what Jameis Winston would be doing for us?

Foles is awful. It’s not even the sacks due to the line. It’s the misses to open receivers all over the field.

I’ve supported Pace until now. No way he gets to pick the QB.
johnnyvann840
RealGM
And1: 18,703

Post#1699 » by johnnyvann840 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:26 am

Dresden wrote:
johnnyvann840 wrote:
thedarkstark wrote:You know Vick ran for 1000 in 2006, and Lamar Jackson ran for 1,200 last season right?

It was a joke. Bobby Douglass did that in 1972. I was saying that back in those days that was pretty remarkable. Back then there weren't very many running backs even rushing for 1000 yards. It was a pretty major accomplishment. There were a handful of guys but not like today. I can remember Douglass pretty well even though I was really young at the time. He was a lefty and he had an arm like a rifle but had no touch.. he would just throw the hardest passes every time at guys. Most of the time he would just take off running.

I remember him, too. DIdn't he throw a pass 80 yards, into the wind, with a broken wrist once?

I don't remember that but I remember he could really throw the ball hard and with a perfect spiral. But he was awful as a QB. Nobody could hold on to his passes because he had no touch. Receiver would be 8 yards away and he would just rip it at him like he was throwing it 75 yards downfield but on a rope. But man could he run with it.

In 1972, OJ Simpson led the NFL in rushing with 1251 yards with 292 carries. Bobby Douglass was a QB and had 968 yards in just 141 carries averaging 6.9 yards per attempt.
I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth. - Hunter S. Thompson
nitetrain8603
RealGM
And1: 1,693

Post#1700 » by nitetrain8603 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:03 am

I don't think anyone has answered the question. How is tonight on Nagy when he gave up the playcalling? There's been a lack of talent on the offensive line since Cutler's been around. This year is more evident than any. And Anthony Miller sucks at catching a football. Talent voids fall on the GM, not coach.

Return to Chicago Bulls