ImageImageImage

Hayward Likely to OPT-IN to final year of contract!

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

What should be the next step after Hayward opts in?

Remain on team for another Playoff run
16%
Traded on draft night
38%
Traded at deadline
1%
Theres a belief Hayward and team wants to help facilitate a trade
20%
Should sign a team friendly extension
25%

Total votes: 88

Captain_Caveman
RealGM
And1: 38,412

Re: Hayward Likely to OPT-IN to final year of contract! 

Post#521 » by Captain_Caveman » Fri Nov 13, 2020 6:03 pm

FakeScreenName123 wrote:
Captain_Caveman wrote:
The Corey's wrote:I'm all for moving Hayward but losing him for nothing in an opt out would be a devastating blow to the cap.

Opt-out, and resign at 3y/80-90m.

Dump Kanter if you need to save more cap than that.

is tht what you would do or is that a presenting option

I'd do it.
FakeScreenName123
RealGM
And1: 5,113

Post#522 » by FakeScreenName123 » Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:25 pm

Captain_Caveman wrote:
FakeScreenName123 wrote:
Captain_Caveman wrote:
Opt-out, and resign at 3y/80-90m.

Dump Kanter if you need to save more cap than that.

is tht what you would do or is that a presenting option

I'd do it.

really??? bummer. sucks. it feels like my team is being held hostage by pewdiepie-lite
_s_t_u_r_t_
Veteran
And1: 723

Post#523 » by _s_t_u_r_t_ » Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:34 pm

I've never heard precisely when the deadline is for Hayward to opt-in or not... and can't find anyone reporting that factoid. Anyone know, or even have some speculation?
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,801

Post#524 » by Parliament10 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:37 pm

_s_t_u_r_t_ wrote:I've never heard precisely when the deadline is for Hayward to opt-in or not... and can't find anyone reporting that factoid. Anyone know, or even have some speculation?

Read on Twitter
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
_s_t_u_r_t_
Veteran

Post#525 » by _s_t_u_r_t_ » Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:38 pm

Thx!
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,801

Post#526 » by Parliament10 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:20 pm

Parliament10 wrote:
_s_t_u_r_t_ wrote:I've never heard precisely when the deadline is for Hayward to opt-in or not... and can't find anyone reporting that factoid. Anyone know, or even have some speculation?

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
WeLikeOurGuys
General Manager
And1: 7,158

Post#527 » by WeLikeOurGuys » Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:21 pm

Parliament10 wrote:
Parliament10 wrote:

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Let’s go!!!
Dangit
Starter
And1: 1,921

Post#528 » by Dangit » Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:23 pm

Hayward is a must imo
Postby YouthMovement on Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:09 pm

im 19 and i can say paul pierce ruined my childhood
GregB
RealGM
And1: 2,975

Post#529 » by GregB » Tue Nov 17, 2020 3:22 am

I know Gordon may not be happy. But I don’t see why he would have any bitterness. It just didn’t work out.

Hopefully Gordon wants to goto a team that would require a trade ( Indiana ) and we can get a big back in the deal.

Or

I am also ok with Trading Kemba for Jrue Holiday. Resigning Hayward getting under luxury tax. Moving up for Okongwu and then using non tax payer MLE on Derrick Favors/Christian Woods
Spin Move
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,037

Post#530 » by Spin Move » Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:55 am

GregB wrote:I know Gordon may not be happy. But I don’t see why he would have any bitterness. It just didn’t work out.

Hopefully Gordon wants to goto a team that would require a trade ( Indiana ) and we can get a big back in the deal.

Or

I am also ok with Trading Kemba for Jrue Holiday. Resigning Hayward getting under luxury tax. Moving up for Okongwu and then using non tax payer MLE on Derrick Favors/Christian Woods

He was signed before JT played a game and before JB was that good and quite frankly he sucked the year before last. He went down with an injury and then was not good for a year, so in that 2 years time other players got better. If he wants a better role he can play well consistently and stay healthy. He started every game he played last season, I do not see why he is not happy with his role unless he is wanting a bunch more shots? The celtics did nothing wrong by developing young players at the same position while he was not up to snuff. If he wants a trade opt out, resign at a more reasonable rate and the celtics can easily trade him with a lower per year number.
sully00
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,716

Post#531 » by sully00 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:43 pm

Spin Move wrote:
GregB wrote:I know Gordon may not be happy. But I don’t see why he would have any bitterness. It just didn’t work out.

Or

He was signed before JT played a game and before JB was that good and quite frankly he sucked the year before last. He went down with an injury and then was not good for a year, so in that 2 years time other players got better. If he wants a better role he can play well consistently and stay healthy. He started every game he played last season, I do not see why he is not happy with his role unless he is wanting a bunch more shots? The celtics did nothing wrong by developing young players at the same position while he was not up to snuff. If he wants a trade opt out, resign at a more reasonable rate and the celtics can easily trade him with a lower per year number.

Sadly I think it is even worse the opportunity is there it is the comparison to the two other wings on the team. Just like a player looking at his team and saying I want out because these guys aren't going to give me a chance to win. I think Gordon realizes that unless Boston is going to pay him then nobody else is going to want to give him a max contract or anything close for being the 3rd best wing on his team. Ainge has avoided overpaying in these situations in the past even the extensions that went to KG and Pierce were significant reductions in salary for more years. I think Gordon is an okay bet for the next two years but beyond that I don't know. If we can get anything comparable for him I would move him.
amory87
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,434

Post#532 » by amory87 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:57 pm

Or

I'm skeptical of any report saying that Hayward is bitter toward the Celtics. He has no reason to be. At least that we've heard of.

They've paid him a king's ransom while giving him a chance to compete for titles in his prime years under a coach he's very comfortable with. It's not the team's fault he hasn't been able to stay healthy. I understand him being frustrated and maybe wanting a fresh start somewhere else, but he has no reason to feel negatively towards Boston.
celtxman
Analyst
And1: 1,460

Post#533 » by celtxman » Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:53 pm

Today is a huge day for the Celtics and Gordon Hayward. The Celtics simply can't afford to let Hayward go for nothing. We just watched the Bucks turn water into wine with two upgrade trades, adding Bogdonavicz and Holiday to a team we cant forget was already better than the Celtics.
There is clearly resistance from Hayward more than minor tweaks to an extended contract or we would have heard something long ago. We'll see shortly what Ainge can accomplish
Brad Stevens on fans who want the Celtics to tank: "I don’t think they’ll like me all that much then."
Spin Move
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#534 » by Spin Move » Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:14 pm

Unless the hawks want to pay him long term he is opting on, he has not other option really if money is his primary concern, which I am guessing it is.
amory87
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,434

Post#535 » by amory87 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:40 pm

Spin Move wrote:Unless the hawks want to pay him long term he is opting on, he has not other option really if money is his primary concern, which I am guessing it is.

I also can't see him opting out, even if he'd rather be playing somewhere else. He's going to be paid what, $35 million next season? That's close to 2 seasons worth of pay under the kind of new deal he'd get.

Unless he's very worried about his own long term health, it makes sense to bet on himself in a contract year. Even with average play he probably finds someone to give him the same deal next offseason as he would've gotten this offseason. And if he has a great year and shows flashes of the old Hayward, it only helps his next contract.
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,221

Post#536 » by djFan71 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:01 pm

Jazz fans right now = popcorn eating gif.
_s_t_u_r_t_
Veteran

Post#537 » by _s_t_u_r_t_ » Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:30 pm

Spin Move wrote:Unless the hawks want to pay him long term he is opting on, he has not other option really if money is his primary concern, which I am guessing it is.

It's not qualitatively different for ATL in this situation than it is how everyone generally perceives NOP's situation to be--if you're not a destination/legacy franchise, you have to take some risks at key points in the timeline. So even though there is some palpable disagreement that Brandon Ingram is actually worthy of a max contract, given what amounts to only a 1/2 season of ASG-caliber play, most believe NOP will max him. ATL is in a situation where the same attitude seems likely to be applied... yes, he's on the back-end of his career at this point, and yes, he's been sidelined for significant stretches of games over the last 3 years... but Hayward seems to remain the best bet to be a difference making ingredient in the roster recipe. Almost nothing that ATL's GM would offer will surprise me, though of course, that's NOT to say "there's no such thing as overboard," b/c there certainly is.
jmr07019
General Manager
And1: 7,755

Post#538 » by jmr07019 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:58 pm

Gut feeling is he opts in
Show Love Spread Love
_s_t_u_r_t_
Veteran

Post#539 » by _s_t_u_r_t_ » Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:57 pm

jmr07019 wrote:Gut feeling is he opts in

Growing but totally uninformed sense on my part that we're (Hawks) being used as leverage by Hayward at this moment, and ultimately if Ainge meets his price, he'll stay in BOS.
Spin Move
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#540 » by Spin Move » Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:43 pm

Reports are they are trying to extend the deadline, don't see how that really helps the C's

Return to Boston Celtics