ImageImageImageImageImage

Trade Thread (EPISODE VI: Can't we just put EVERYTHING in the TE?)

Moderators: floppymoose, Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair

Chris Porter's Hair
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors
And1: 3,579

Re: Trade Thread (TRADE WARS EPISODE V: The Empire Strikes Back) 

Post#81 » by Chris Porter's Hair » Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:56 pm

ChuckDurn wrote:
JSML wrote:
ChuckDurn wrote:He’s a free agent. The TPE can only be used to trade a player (not sign a free agent). We can’t functionally acquire Gallinari in a sign-and-trade deal, because any team receiving a player in a S&T is bound by the hard cap, and the Warriors are already over that figure due to Curry, Klay, Draymond, and Wiggins’ high salaries.

So the only way we could go after Gallinari is to try to sign him with our MLE, which is only a few million dollars. Gallinari is probably going to make at least 2-3 times as much as we can offer him somewhere else. It doesn’t hurt to try, but the odds aren’t good that he’d take dramatically less money to come here than he could get elsewhere.

My bad. This Forbe's article from yesterday says Warriors can do a sign and trade with the TPE to acquire Gallinari.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/zacharycohen/2020/11/15/breaking-down-the-best-free-agency-destinations-for-danilo-gallinari/?sh=6fc6af036a59

Yep, I see it in that article. But what I learned from it is that I understand the Collective Bargaining Agreement (and rules surrounding trades) better than the article’s author, or he’s simply being negligent in not addressing the hard cap implication which effectively prohibits the Warriors from executing what he says.

I continue to be amazed how many professionals get paid to understand this stuff worse than most of us here. Kelenna Azubuike was on 95.7 the other day, and saying stuff that was just patently false about how the trade exception could be used. As I recall, he was pointing out that another team couldn't trade us multiple players in a deal that involved our TE, because he was clearly misunderstanding the rule about combining the TE with players in a deal.

crzyyafrican makes the best sigs, quite frankly
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,025

Post#82 » by Scoots1994 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:04 pm

ChuckDurn wrote:
JSML wrote:
ChuckDurn wrote:He’s a free agent. The TPE can only be used to trade a player (not sign a free agent). We can’t functionally acquire Gallinari in a sign-and-trade deal, because any team receiving a player in a S&T is bound by the hard cap, and the Warriors are already over that figure due to Curry, Klay, Draymond, and Wiggins’ high salaries.

So the only way we could go after Gallinari is to try to sign him with our MLE, which is only a few million dollars. Gallinari is probably going to make at least 2-3 times as much as we can offer him somewhere else. It doesn’t hurt to try, but the odds aren’t good that he’d take dramatically less money to come here than he could get elsewhere.

My bad. This Forbe's article from yesterday says Warriors can do a sign and trade with the TPE to acquire Gallinari.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/zacharycohen/2020/11/15/breaking-down-the-best-free-agency-destinations-for-danilo-gallinari/?sh=6fc6af036a59

Yep, I see it in that article. But what I learned from it is that I understand the Collective Bargaining Agreement (and rules surrounding trades) better than the article’s author, or he’s simply being negligent in not addressing the hard cap implication which effectively prohibits the Warriors from executing what he says.

Indeed.
ILOVEIT
RealGM
And1: 3,426

Post#83 » by ILOVEIT » Tue Nov 17, 2020 3:57 pm

Roco....off the board folks.
JRUE....off the board.

Those were probably two of our top 5 possible signings.

Also, JRue going to Bucks indicates Giannis likely staying put.

So that leaves Warriors looking at no trades....or trades with Spurs, Knicks, Charlotte (assuming they want Wiseman that bad).
2021/22 - The return of the Ring.
whatisacenter
RealGM
And1: 13,056

Post#84 » by whatisacenter » Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:10 pm

ILOVEIT wrote:Roco....off the board folks.
JRUE....off the board.

So that leaves Warriors looking at no trades....or trades with Spurs, Knicks, Charlotte (assuming they want Wiseman that bad).

I agree, the only remaining trade scenarios will be on draft day with the TPE. I get the feeling that they will end up keeping the pick and signing some free agents to round out the roster. Yesterday's trades were mostly overpays and I am glad the Warriors stayed on the sidelines.
Madvillain been as high as Kathmandu
And tilted to the side like that fat man's shoe
ChuckDurn
Assistant Coach
And1: 789

Post#85 » by ChuckDurn » Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:20 pm

whatisacenter wrote:
ILOVEIT wrote:Roco....off the board folks.
JRUE....off the board.

I agree, the only remaining trade scenarios will be on draft day with the TPE. I get the feeling that they will end up keeping the pick and signing some free agents to round out the roster. Yesterday's trades were mostly overpays and I am glad the Warriors stayed on the sidelines.

I'm not closing the door on other things. But if Minnesota keeps their pick and drafts for fit (Edwards), there could be some fireworks happening over the next few picks, depending on just how much the Warriors think Wiseman is "their guy" and worth more than what they could acquire. If they're not as hot on him, one could easily see them trading down to 3 (Charlotte takes Wiseman), and then trading further down to somebody who wants Ball, accumulating assets along the way, and presumably still being in a good lottery spot to take atop rookie.

But, of course, if they think Wiseman is their guy, they'll just stay at 2. It's probably one or the other - take Wiseman, or multiple trade-backs. Predicated, as I said, on the Wolves taking Edwards, which the probably should do unless they have a great trade package in-hand.
If I don't have anything funny to say, can I still have a signature?
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,275

Post#86 » by xdrta+ » Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:37 pm

Chris Porter's Hair wrote:
ChuckDurn wrote:
JSML wrote:

I continue to be amazed how many professionals get paid to understand this stuff worse than most of us here. Kelenna Azubuike was on 95.7 the other day, and saying stuff that was just patently false about how the trade exception could be used. As I recall, he was pointing out that another team couldn't trade us multiple players in a deal that involved our TE, because he was clearly misunderstanding the rule about combining the TE with players in a deal.

I didn't hear it, but perhaps he was referring to the fact that salaries cannot be aggregated in a single trade and fit into the trade exception. But this just means that it has to be structured as two separate trades, each using a part of the exception. GMs are very adept at this and the end result is the same. If that's what he meant he should have gone on to explain it.
SAKURABA216
Starter
And1: 817

Post#87 » by SAKURABA216 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:15 pm

How about trading Wiggins and Looney to the Rockets for Westbrook, Gordon, and the TPE?

Westbrook can play backup PG and Curry can play off-ball when Russ runs the offense in stretches. Gordon can backup Klay at SF, but admittedly they will be small at that position. The plus side is that they will add an elite player without giving up their picks and can still select Wiseman. Houston will take it because they can offload Gordon’s horrible contract.

Warriors become:
Curry/ Westbrook
Westbrook/ Klay
Klay/ Gordon
Green/Paschall
Wiseman or Okongwu/ Green
BayWarrior
Bench Warmer
And1: 688

Post#88 » by BayWarrior » Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:27 pm

SAKURABA216 wrote:How about trading Wiggins and Looney to the Rockets for Westbrook, Gordon, and the TPE?

Westbrook can play backup PG and Curry can play off-ball when Russ runs the offense in stretches. Gordon can backup Klay at SF, but admittedly they will be small at that position. The plus side is that they will add an elite player without giving up their picks and can still select Wiseman. Houston will take it because they can offload Gordon’s horrible contract.

Warriors become:
Curry/ Westbrook
Westbrook/ Klay
Klay/ Gordon
Green/Paschall

That will add $40m to the cap and Westbrook doesn't fit the GS shareball. GS would be in the situation Houston finds themselves in now.
Warriors Analyst
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,695

Post#89 » by Warriors Analyst » Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:04 pm

SAKURABA216 wrote:How about trading Wiggins and Looney to the Rockets for Westbrook, Gordon, and the TPE?

Warriors become:
Curry/ Westbrook
Westbrook/ Klay
Klay/ Gordon
Green/Paschall

Vote to ban for anyone who wants Westbrook on this team. The idea that he's elite is laughable.
SAKURABA216
Starter
And1: 817

Post#90 » by SAKURABA216 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:22 pm

Warriors Analyst wrote:

Warriors become:
Curry/ Westbrook
Westbrook/ Klay
Klay/ Gordon
Green/Paschall

Vote to ban for anyone who wants Westbrook on this team. The idea that he's elite is laughable.

I know and I’m sorry lol. It’s just that I am getting desperate with Covington off the table. I’m originally a Pistons fan but adopted the Warriors as my 1B favorite team after they beat Lebron and the Cavs and also after I moved to the Bay Area 5 years ago.
cpower
RealGM
And1: 7,192

Post#91 » by cpower » Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:22 pm

Jerami Grant anyone? Can we get him via sign and trade or iggy exception?
donkeylips
Veteran
And1: 1,305

Post#92 » by donkeylips » Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:26 pm

Warriors become:
Curry/ Westbrook
Westbrook/ Klay
Klay/ Gordon
Green/Paschall

id be ok with it if it was house and tucker instead of gordon.
I can hawk a loogie eight feet in the air and catch it with my tongue.
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,275

Post#93 » by xdrta+ » Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:27 pm

cpower wrote:Jerami Grant anyone? Can we get him via sign and trade or iggy exception?

No and no. He turned down his $9.3M PO so he's a free agent. Out of our price range.
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#94 » by Mylie10 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:49 pm

Chris Porter's Hair wrote:
ChuckDurn wrote:
JSML wrote:

Matt Steinmetz was doing some of the similar things as Kelnna. He also didn't understand that the reason they traded for DLo and then the Wiggins move, was to maintain a max salary slot. And by trading him away for smaller pieces it would free up cap space. Whjich it will not. Even if we dealt Wiggins for some small salary, the Warriors would still be over the cap and couldn't then sign other guys with cap space.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#95 » by Mylie10 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:52 pm

cpower wrote:Jerami Grant anyone? Can we get him via sign and trade or iggy exception?

Nope, and hes going to make much more than the 5.7 we could sign him for.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Re: Trade Thread (EPISODE VI: Can't we just put EVERYTHING in the TE?) 

Post#96 » by Scoots1994 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:11 am

There are quite a few players still out there that the Warriors could use. Jrue was never going to happen and Roco was a long shot. Oubre would have been a rental and a problem because he wants playing time.

Theoretically Taurean Prince, Justice Winslow, TJ Warren, Kyle Anderson, Aaron Gordon, Danuel House, PJ Tucker, Rudy Gay could all potentially be moved using the TPE (not saying they are all available, but they all would fit and would theoretically help the Warriors enough for them to be willing to do it).
vvoland
Senior
And1: 109

Post#97 » by vvoland » Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:57 am

Scoots1994 wrote:There are quite a few players still out there that the Warriors could use. Jrue was never going to happen and Roco was a long shot. Oubre would have been a rental and a problem because he wants playing time.

Theoretically Taurean Prince, Justice Winslow, TJ Warren, Kyle Anderson, Aaron Gordon, Danuel House, PJ Tucker, Rudy Gay could all potentially be moved using the TPE (not saying they are all available, but they all would fit and would theoretically help the Warriors enough for them to be willing to do it).

Josh Richardson is my no 1 target with pj a close 2nd
donkeylips
Veteran
And1: 1,305

Post#98 » by donkeylips » Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:29 am

id want gordon but he doesn't fit with the tpe. i know ill be in the minority but id want lonzo ball.
I can hawk a loogie eight feet in the air and catch it with my tongue.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#99 » by Scoots1994 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:45 am

vvoland wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:There are quite a few players still out there that the Warriors could use. Jrue was never going to happen and Roco was a long shot. Oubre would have been a rental and a problem because he wants playing time.

Josh Richardson is my no 1 target with pj a close 2nd

I don't think Richardson is close to available.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#100 » by Scoots1994 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:46 am

donkeylips wrote:id want gordon but he doesn't fit with the tpe. i know ill be in the minority but id want lonzo ball.

I think Gordon does fit because of unlikely to be earned bonuses. But I'm not sure.

Return to Golden State Warriors