Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,338

Re: Nuggets - Potential FA Signing 

Post#41 » by The Rebel » Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:58 pm

TunaFish wrote:
skywalker33 wrote:
TunaFish wrote:
At the same position, how about Justin Holiday UFA from Indiana?

I’d also look at Derrick Jones Jr

After missing time early in the season with a groin strain and bruised hip, Jones played in every Heat game beginning Dec. 1, averaging 8.5 points, 3.9 rebounds, 1.0 steals and 23.5 minutes per game in 59 appearances for the season, while shooting 52.7 percent overall and 28 percent on threes.

He logged 13 and 12 minutes in the first two playoff games but reached double figures in minutes only one other time and was a healthy scratch in six games, including Games 4 and 5 of the Finals.

He logged just 14 minutes in the series against Milwaukee, 30 minutes against Boston and 10 minutes against Los Angeles. Miami was outscored by 22 in those minutes against those teams, but plus/minus is often not a good measure of a player’s contribution and the Heat was already playing poorly in several of those games.

Jones’ final playoff averages: 1.5 points and 6.5 minutes.

And so the NBA’s 2020 Slam Dunk champion enters the offseason with some measure of uncertainty, unclear if Miami will try to re-sign him.

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article246514150.html

Holiday was mentioned in the McBride article, and I think he would be a great fit. IF we could get him for BAE type of money which is a 2 year deal starting at $3.29 million than I would jump at that.

Jones would be an upgrade over Craig on defense but his lack of shooting would really hurt our offense. I personally would rather find someone else.
stoo
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,095

Post#42 » by stoo » Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:02 am

I compiled a list of possible free agent signings. Haven't included unrealistic options and some I didn't like for fitting reasons. I can see us signing some of these, and i would be hyped for every of them

EXPENSIVE: (20+ mil)

Fred VanVleet

Can be a long term 3rd star solution, until we see what happens with MPJ. Good defensively, but we will need 2 long forwards on the court. Grant and MPJ works, as long as MPJ becomes above-average on defense

UPPER-PRICED: (15-20 mil)

Jerami Grant
Serge Ibaka
Dāvis Bertāns
Danilo Gallinari

If we value defense next to Jokic, Grant and Ibaka get an edge over happens to be big shooters, and Grant on the top because of age and familiarity. I value Bertans over Gallinari for age reasons

VALUE: (5-15 mil)

Jae Crowder
Christian Wood
Chris Boucher
Nerlens Noel
Justin Holiday
Kent Bazemore
Jabari Parker

I excluded players that can't stretch the offense nor switch in defense

CHEAP: (1-5 mil)

Wenyen Gabriel

SHORT-TERM:

Aron Baynes

BENEFIT OF FAMILIARITY:

Juan Hernangomez
Torrey Craig
Paul Millsap
Mason Plumlee
Troy Daniels
Noah Vonleh

IN CASE PJ AND HARRIS ARE GONE:

Kris Dunn
Shaquille Harrison
De’Anthony Melton
DaQuan Jeffries
NotSinceWilt
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,056

Post#43 » by NuggetsWY » Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:42 am

stoo wrote:I compiled a list of possible free agent signings. Haven't included unrealistic options and some I didn't like for fitting reasons. I can see us signing some of these, and i would be hyped for every of them

Interesting list and while mine might be different, this one is pretty good IMO.
stoo wrote:EXPENSIVE: (20+ mil)

Fred VanVleet

Can be a long term 3rd star solution, until we see what happens with MPJ. Good defensively, but we will need 2 long forwards on the court. Grant and MPJ works, as long as MPJ becomes above-average on defense

I would love VanVleet on the Nuggets but I just don't see them paying what he's going to get.
stoo wrote:UPPER-PRICED: (15-20 mil)

Jerami Grant
Serge Ibaka
Dāvis Bertāns
Danilo Gallinari

If we value defense next to Jokic, Grant and Ibaka get an edge over happens to be big shooters, and Grant on the top because of age and familiarity. I value Bertans over Gallinari for age reasons

I truly expect the Nuggets to re-sign Grant. He seems like the best fit on both ends of the court and the Nuggets seem like the ideal fit for Grant.

I wouldn't mind Ibaka but suspect he'll get more than the Nuggets want to pay.

I love the idea of Bertans on the Nuggets but while his defense is under-rated IMO, it still isn't great and he'd basically be filling the role we are hoping for Porter to fill.

Gallinari might be the second best fit out of this group, for the Nuggets. But I expect he'll get interest from other teams. His price might be a little high, but considering his age, it may not be out of consideration for the Nuggets. He makes a nice backup PF/small-ball center (assuming we re-sign Grant). Not sure I'd want him as a starter, but it'd probably work for a year or two (like Millsap).
stoo wrote:VALUE: (5-15 mil)

Jae Crowder
Christian Wood
Chris Boucher
Nerlens Noel
Justin Holiday
Kent Bazemore
Jabari Parker

I excluded players that can't stretch the offense nor switch in defense

I love the idea of Crowder off the bench.
Wood would be a decent backup PF.
Boucher don't impress me as much. He's 27 years old and seems like a third option PF at best. Not sure we need that.
Noel is fine as a 10 mpg center, but there might be better options.
Justin Holiday (or his brothers) would all be welcome in my opinion, but not sure we need them unless Harris and/or Barton are gone.
Bazemore would be the same as Holiday.
Not a fan of Jabari Parker. I think he's overpaid and over-hyped.
stoo wrote:CHEAP: (1-5 mil)

Wenyen Gabriel

I had not thought about Gabriel, but I like the thought now. He'd be a nice backup PF with future potential IMO.
stoo wrote:SHORT-TERM:

Aron Baynes

I do like Baynes as a backup center (hopefully we draft/sign a young center to develop too).
stoo wrote:BENEFIT OF FAMILIARITY:

Juan Hernangomez
Torrey Craig
Paul Millsap
Mason Plumlee
Troy Daniels
Noah Vonleh

Love Hernangomez and he'd make a nice backup SF.
Craig's okay with me as a deep bench option.
Millsap is fine too, as long as the price is about 1/4 of last year's salary. I think he'll get much more.
Was a fan of Plumlee, not any more. He'll do better on another team.
Daniels & Vonleh are fine for deep bench.
stoo wrote:IN CASE PJ AND HARRIS ARE GONE:

Kris Dunn
Shaquille Harrison
De’Anthony Melton
DaQuan Jeffries

Kris Dunn doesn't seem to play enough games IMO. His injuries don't seem significant, but there sure are a lot of them: "dislocated finger", "sore knee", "dislocated teeth", "sprained big toe", "knee", "pelvis contusion", "back", "migraine", "back", "knee", "quad". He's a 6'3" "PG" that isn't a great 3pt shooter and doesn't get enough assists. I'd say 'no thanks'.
Harrison doesn't impress me much on either end of the court.
Melton seems like a Kris Dunn "light". Too short for SG and not enough assists. Besides, we have enough PGs.
Jeffries' shooting hasn't impressed me enough to be interested in him.
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#44 » by The Rebel » Tue Nov 3, 2020 2:11 pm

Another Craig replacement that I think we can get cheap and would fit what we need is Michael Kidd Gilchrest. While he is a terrible outside shooter, he has a long history of being very good in the mid range and long 2s. Plus he is a very good defender to have off the bench. Last year he signed with the Mavs for the minimum mid season after Charlotte bought him out, and he may be worth taking a flyer on here.
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#45 » by The Rebel » Tue Nov 3, 2020 3:21 pm

Shane Larkin was the euro league MVP and there are rumors going around that he may want to come back to the NBA. I would love to sign him and than use Morris in a trade for a SG/SF or even a decent C.
skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 5,253

Post#46 » by skywalker33 » Tue Nov 3, 2020 3:45 pm

The Rebel wrote:Another Craig replacement that I think we can get cheap and would fit what we need is Michael Kidd Gilchrest. While he is a terrible outside shooter, he has a long history of being very good in the mid range and long 2s. Plus he is a very good defender to have off the bench. Last year he signed with the Mavs for the minimum mid season after Charlotte bought him out, and he may be worth taking a flyer on here.

Never been an MKG fan, over-drafted and over-rated, may as well keep Craig as I see them as the same player. Perhaps he needs a change of scenery, if he comes cheap I'd be OK though.
Texas Chuck wrote:I'd like to see Utah, and Denver lose

Exactly as I've been saying all along !!
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#47 » by The Rebel » Tue Nov 3, 2020 3:57 pm

skywalker33 wrote:
The Rebel wrote:Another Craig replacement that I think we can get cheap and would fit what we need is Michael Kidd Gilchrest. While he is a terrible outside shooter, he has a long history of being very good in the mid range and long 2s. Plus he is a very good defender to have off the bench. Last year he signed with the Mavs for the minimum mid season after Charlotte bought him out, and he may be worth taking a flyer on here.

Never been an MKG fan, over-drafted and over-rated, may as well keep Craig as I see them as the same player. Perhaps he needs a change of scenery, if he comes cheap I'd be OK though.

I agree he is not much different than Craig although he is 5 years younger and will likely be a minimum deal as opposed to Craig who seems like he will get at least a BAE type of deal.
TunaFish
Head Coach
And1: 5,773

Post#48 » by TunaFish » Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:09 am

Free agency is set for November 20, 10 days from this posting. Now the fun begins.

https://sports.yahoo.com/the-nba-players-about-to-be-overpaid-in-2020-free-agency-174755416.html
Canned in Denver.
skywalker33

Post#49 » by skywalker33 » Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:10 pm

So tell me, how is this NOT TAMPERING ??
Read on Twitter

The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#50 » by The Rebel » Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:25 pm

skywalker33 wrote:So tell me, how is this NOT TAMPERING ??
Read on Twitter

It has been out there for 2 days. I personally think that all the tampering rules have went out the window, especially this year with the mess that the league has created by not coming up with firm dates for anything until the last minute.

That being said, if he is going to Dallas is he signing a taxpayer MLE or is it a sign and trade? I don't think we want him back with Grant coming back and Connelly openly saying he thinks Bol deserves a spot in the rotation after the bubble.
Manolito
Senior
And1: 391

Post#51 » by Manolito » Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:09 am

it is a pity Bogdanovic was so cheap, Barton + some asset (FRP or Monte Morris?) might have been a better offer.

I think we need to sign mainly SF/PF guys to guard LeBron, AD, Kawhi, Luka, Klay.... Low cost candidates (BAE or even minimum contract):
Millsap: unlikely, he will have better offers
Favors: unlikely as well but who knows
Ariza: he will be cut from HOU
Harkless: I like him quite a lot for that price.
Temple: more backcourt than frontcourt but a 3D profile that always helps.

If we renew Grant and get one of the above, we can be satisfied.

On the other side, I don´t see a clear candidate for the full MLE. Gallo would be great, but I think he kind of overlaps MPJ and we need a better defender, especially if Barton is running the offense from the bench.
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#52 » by The Rebel » Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:47 pm

Manolito wrote:it is a pity Bogdanovic was so cheap, Barton + some asset (FRP or Monte Morris?) might have been a better offer.

I think we need to sign mainly SF/PF guys to guard LeBron, AD, Kawhi, Luka, Klay.... Low cost candidates (BAE or even minimum contract):
Millsap: unlikely, he will have better offers
Favors: unlikely as well but who knows
Ariza: he will be cut from HOU
Harkless: I like him quite a lot for that price.
Temple: more backcourt than frontcourt but a 3D profile that always helps.

If we renew Grant and get one of the above, we can be satisfied.

On the other side, I don´t see a clear candidate for the full MLE. Gallo would be great, but I think he kind of overlaps MPJ and we need a better defender, especially if Barton is running the offense from the bench.

I tried to explain things to people in the trade thread a few days ago, Bogdanovic was a free agent, he choose where he went to. Although I would have thought we could beat the contract he obviously is getting which starts at about $17.5 million. At the end of the day it was his choice and the Kings either try to make it happen or they get an even worse reputation from agents.

We cannot be satisfied if we do not get someone to replace Plumlee and Craig, we have no bench outside of unknowns, Morris, and Barton right now.
Manolito
Senior
And1: 391

Post#53 » by Manolito » Tue Nov 17, 2020 3:27 pm

Bogdanovic could have chosen perfectly the Nuggets, a contender with his friend Jokic, but the contract must be three years long. Maybe that third year scared FO, when MPJ new contract kicks on (Bogdanovic is already 28).

I am zero worried about Jokic´s backup. Center is the cheapest position nowadays and is going to play 10 minutes per game, I would not make any investment in that slot. Young guy for the minimum, even bring Vonleh back.

As I stated in my previous message, we need solid SF/PF that can contribute since day one. A couple of vet guys with PO experience who can guard ADavis 20 minutes is mandatory if we want to have a deep play off run. I don´t see such profile available for MLE (Ibaka or Crowder will be more expensive). Actually depending on the 2021 FRP protection, I would have tried to trade for Covington.

I am fine with Harris & Barton as SG next year. Their current trade value is lower than their upside
skywalker33

Post#54 » by skywalker33 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:45 pm

I'd still love to pursue Tristan Thompson, Favors or Gasol for our backup Center

skywalker33

Post#55 » by skywalker33 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:20 pm

Signing Gallo is starting to look pretty good to me right now, very evident he's gonna look to move on from OKC now that Paul is gone.

TunaFish
Head Coach

Post#56 » by TunaFish » Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:06 pm

skywalker33 wrote:Signing Gallo is starting to look pretty good to me right now, very evident he's gonna look to move on from OKC now that Paul is gone.

Grant is still the key. We have to resolve his status before we can seriously hope for an another free agent
Canned in Denver.
skywalker33

Post#57 » by skywalker33 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:11 pm

TunaFish wrote:
skywalker33 wrote:Signing Gallo is starting to look pretty good to me right now, very evident he's gonna look to move on from OKC now that Paul is gone.

Grant is still the key. We have to resolve his status before we can seriously hope for an another free agent

True, but since we have his Bird-rights, signing a FA first then signing a pre-arranged deal with Grant makes the most sense.

TunaFish
Head Coach

Post#58 » by TunaFish » Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:36 pm

skywalker33 wrote:
TunaFish wrote:

True, but since we have his Bird-rights, signing a FA first then signing a pre-arranged deal with Grant makes the most sense.

A pre-arranged deal with Grant does resolve his status. Only 3 more days to go before we find out.
Canned in Denver.
skywalker33

Post#59 » by skywalker33 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:56 pm

TunaFish wrote:
skywalker33 wrote:
TunaFish wrote:

A pre-arranged deal with Grant does resolve his status. Only 3 more days to go before we find out.

I'd be surprised if a deal isn't already in place

The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#60 » by The Rebel » Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:35 am

Manolito wrote:Bogdanovic could have chosen perfectly the Nuggets, a contender with his friend Jokic, but the contract must be three years long. Maybe that third year scared FO, when MPJ new contract kicks on (Bogdanovic is already 28).

I am zero worried about Jokic´s backup. Center is the cheapest position nowadays and is going to play 10 minutes per game, I would not make any investment in that slot. Young guy for the minimum, even bring Vonleh back.

As I stated in my previous message, we need solid SF/PF that can contribute since day one. A couple of vet guys with PO experience who can guard ADavis 20 minutes is mandatory if we want to have a deep play off run. I don´t see such profile available for MLE (Ibaka or Crowder will be more expensive). Actually depending on the 2021 FRP protection, I would have tried to trade for Covington.

I am fine with Harris & Barton as SG next year. Their current trade value is lower than their upside

I would argue that if we are re-signing Grant that our biggest issue is backup C.

We have MPJ, Grant, KBD, and Cancar that are all combo forwards, if you do not think that Cancar or KBD can play than they should not be on the team, if they can play than they need to find minutes for them to at least compete over.

By the way the only 2 guys on our roster that even slowed Davis down were Millsap and Jokic, go look at the game logs. Davis abused combo forwards and undersized Centers their entire playoff run, including Grant when he was on him. While MIllsap is slightly undersized, he has been a traditional PF for a long time.

If we keep Barton, Harris, and Morris, than with Murray and Dpzier we have 5 guards so we are basically set there.

I could see the argument that we need a SG/Sf for when teams go small against our bench, but considering are players already on the roster I would say the fact that we have no Centers outside of Jokic is a much bigger issue.

Return to Denver Nuggets