UnFadeable21
Veteran
And1: 837

“Lamelo is the Best High School Player in USA” 

Post#1 » by UnFadeable21 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:30 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21

New Article at The Athletic today

The teenagers LaMelo met, whether they were his uber talented teammates at SPIRE, or the students from Ohio’s suburbs, its farms or its big Catholic institutions, they all got to touch fame.

In interviews with about 20 teammates, a few coaches and academy officials from SPIRE, as well as administrators, players, opponents and fans from the schools LaMelo played against in Ohio, The Athletic learned that he was routinely humble, approachable and otherwise not at all like who they thought he would be, based on what they’d seen and heard online.

“He was an exceptionally polite individual,” Orloff said. “Without any question, every single time I saw him he would stop what he was doing, come over, ask me how my day was, whatever. This is the kind of kid he was.”

“You pick up vibes about people,” said Carrington McCaskill, a SPIRE teammate. “He was a cool dude. Stuff you saw that was online, some stuff could probably be judgment. Me actually meeting him, he was cool.”

“I didn’t think he would be that humble, he was real humble, you know,” said Josaphat Bilaut, another SPIRE teammate.

“I feel like his whole life has been crazy, so just for him to come to SPIRE and be in Geneva, Ohio, a small city, a small town, he could just chill and be a kid,” Watts said. “When he was overseas, he was playing with grown men, it was just too much on him and stuff like that. I feel like SPIRE did give him a lot of rest.”

There is a phrase LaMelo’s SPIRE friends throw around when they talk about him. They call it “LaMelo things.”

They use it to describe the carefree moments, like the time he trudged through a foot of snow in Polo pajamas to meet Watts.

“This dude really came outside in some Timberland boots and Polo pajamas, and it’s negative something outside,” Watts said. “I’m like, ‘Bro, you’re gonna keep wearing these pajamas? It’s negative out here.’”

Actually, let’s go back to those pajama pants a moment. LaMelo wore them everywhere. Even to a SPIRE practice. And didn’t take them off.

“And he was still going crazy, still getting buckets,” Bilaut said. “He was like, ‘yo next time I’m gonna come in jeans and give you guys buckets.’ Coach was like ‘Melo, what are you doing, go put your shorts on.’ He was like, ‘nah, I’m straight, coach.’ He started hooping and just doing his thing.”

The SPIRE team would have been really good without LaMelo. Watts, who now stars at Michigan State, once scored 64 points in a game next to LaMelo. Isaiah Jackson, SPIRE’s best big man, is at Kentucky. Myron Gardner went to Georgetown, but off-court trouble led to his departure. The same for McCaskill at Florida Atlantic. Bilaut is at Wichita State. Aundre Polk is at Central Michigan.

LaMelo, who was already 6-foot-7 or close, and was still filling out his body, had more depth to his game than any of his teammates. And for the first time in a while he was playing against boys his age instead of grown men.

“Oh, he cold,” McCaskill said. “Once I started getting into practice, I was like, ‘oh, this dude real. This dude can hoop.’ Just his full game and how he sees things, he can slow the game down and all of that.”

“I’ve never seen somebody shoot it, like pull it from halfcourt that easy,” Bilaut said.

“No doubt he was the best player on that team,” added Reebhu Pal, another SPIRE teammate. “He might not have been the top point scorer every single night. Rocket was really good in that category, but if you talk about defense and passing included, no doubt he was the best player on the floor every single night.”

Kurt Habermehl, the coach at Vermilion, a rural, lakeside community of about 10,000 people that welcomed SPIRE for a two-day tournament, said, “In my 22 years, he’s probably the best, if you want to call it high school, the best high-school passer I’ve ever seen.”

“He could rifle a ball with his left hand or his right hand from 30-feet away, and make it like it’s nothing,” Habermehl said. “I remember him driving down the left side of the floor at about half court, and he did a no-look, one-handed, left-handed pass right to the block for a dunk. I just turned around to my coaches and said, ‘I’m not sure we have anybody who can do that.’ And they just started laughing.”

All the Ohio coaches who faced LaMelo thought he was good, really good, which is what one would expect for the potential No. 1 pick. But they also knew he was playing on a superior team, which meant on any given night they might not have seen LaMelo’s best.

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Footage of Lamelo at Spire as a High School Senior
UnFadeable21
Veteran

Re: “Lamelo is the Best High School Player in USA” 

Post#2 » by UnFadeable21 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:31 pm

Just read the story and it affirmed what I said to be true. If Lamelo Ball played in college, he would of dominated the NCAA.

When he plays against kids his age, he’s noticeably better than everyone else on the court. Timberwolves better draft him or they will mess up and this franchise is moving.
UnFadeable21
Veteran

Post#3 » by UnFadeable21 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:42 pm

Lamelo Ball Interview with Rachel Nichols today on The Jump
UnFadeable21
Veteran

Post#4 » by UnFadeable21 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:45 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Onyeka Okongwu says his former teammate Lamelo Ball will be a superstar in the NBA, "he can do everything."
jpatrick
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,598

Post#5 » by jpatrick » Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:48 pm

I will be disappointed if we stay at 1 and take anyone else.
UnFadeable21
Veteran

Post#6 » by UnFadeable21 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:50 pm

Gersson Rosas Interview today on The Jump

He says Wolves will draft highest talent not fit tomorrow night
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#7 » by Jedzz » Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:52 pm

UnFadeable21 wrote:Just read the story and it affirmed what I said to be true. If Lamelo Ball played in college, he would of dominated the NCAA.

When he plays against kids his age, he’s noticeably better than everyone else on the court. Timberwolves better draft him or they will mess up and this franchise is moving.

He won't be playing against all kids his age ever again. Isn't that usually the knock on some players that coasted over their highschool rivals on talent height confidence or whatever and never made it on the next level because they couldn't just coast anymore, they had to refine skills to continue to compete. Sounds like he'll get his chance to start working, we'll see who he ends up being.
UnFadeable21
Veteran

Post#8 » by UnFadeable21 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:53 pm

jpatrick wrote:I will be disappointed if we stay at 1 and take anyone else.

Same, when your teammates and the coaches both say he's the best player on the floor, that means its fact.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,825

Post#9 » by KGdaBom » Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:53 pm

And I will be disappointed if we take him.
UnFadeable21
Veteran

Post#10 » by UnFadeable21 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:55 pm

Jedzz wrote:
UnFadeable21 wrote:Just read the story and it affirmed what I said to be true. If Lamelo Ball played in college, he would of dominated the NCAA.

He won't be playing against all kids his age ever again.

That's why him playing pro against grown men last year only helped his game even more to get use to the physicality of the NBA like for Luka to adjust easy.

Andrew Bogut played against Lamelo and said he will be an elite play maker day 1 in the NBA.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,332

Post#11 » by Calinks » Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:56 pm

We really taking ANOTHER guy who can't shoot?
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#12 » by Jedzz » Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:58 pm

UnFadeable21 wrote:

Same, when your teammates and the coaches both say he's the best player on the floor, that means its fact.

Every school probably has one that stands out above the others. That's where there is risk with Drafting players straight out of highschool. Can't wait for that to start happening again and watching the flops shoot up. Then again, it seems like many people are willing to continue paying these flops instead of admitting mistakes.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#13 » by Jedzz » Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:01 pm

Calinks wrote:We really taking ANOTHER guy who can't shoot?

MN does every year. Kat was the anomoly and they didn't even expect him to shoot well from distance that I know of.

They cut that kid from Australia a couple years back even though at the time he was only the second player capable of showing a 40% shot on the team that year in games. They gleagued Nowell. They Gleagued Mclaughlin. Started Culver. Started Graham. Nowell got pulled up and sent back down what seemed like every other day, in fact 16 recorded times starting on Nov 6th but wasn't getting minutes until after the new year or early spring. Then we wonder why he appeared to have a confidence issue shooting once he played. Shot great in college and in the Gleague but...struggled in his 3 minute and later 10 minute shots for Timberwolves. Meanwhile guys like Culver and Graham were playing 25 minutes to starting and shooting 20% all they want to finally break through and just never did. Par for the course draft another nonshooter and give him 30 minutes. rubio...Dunn... hey almost forgot LaVine he was good enough shooter! There's the positive in the pie. Oh that's right traded him.
UnFadeable21
Veteran

Post#14 » by UnFadeable21 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:03 pm

Calinks wrote:We really taking ANOTHER guy who can't shoot?

LaMelo Ball walked into practice one day in Polo pjs, left them on, and got buckets on kids who are now playing at major colleges. ‘Oh, he cold,’ one of his teammates told me.

The SPIRE team would have been really good without LaMelo. Watts, who now stars at Michigan State, once scored 64 points in a game next to LaMelo. Isaiah Jackson, SPIRE’s best big man, is at Kentucky. Myron Gardner went to Georgetown, but off-court trouble led to his departure. The same for McCaskill at Florida Atlantic. Bilaut is at Wichita State. Aundre Polk is at Central Michigan.

LaMelo, who was already 6-foot-7 or close, and was still filling out his body, had more depth to his game than any of his teammates. And for the first time in a while he was playing against boys his age instead of grown men.

“Oh, he cold,” McCaskill said. “Once I started getting into practice, I was like, ‘oh, this dude real. This dude can hoop.’ Just his full game and how he sees things, he can slow the game down and all of that.”

“I’ve never seen somebody shoot it, like pull it from halfcourt that easy,” Bilaut said.

“No doubt he was the best player on that team,” added Reebhu Pal, another SPIRE teammate. “He might not have been the top point scorer every single night. Rocket was really good in that category, but if you talk about defense and passing included, no doubt he was the best player on the floor every single night.”

He can get buckets. Might not be the best percentages like Jamal Crawford but they can get buckets when they want too.
Baseline81
Starter
And1: 1,263

Post#15 » by Baseline81 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:06 pm

Not going to lie, there's a part of me hoping Rosas selects someone other than Ball due to UnFadeable21's posts.
UnFadeable21
Veteran

Post#16 » by UnFadeable21 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:10 pm

Baseline81 wrote:Not going to lie, there's a part of me hoping Rosas selects someone other than Ball due to UnFadeable21's posts.

I’d be okay with Anthony Edwards, but his pro day had me a little worried. His jumper was inconsistent and he was very noticeably winded from the workout. Not in the best shape. He has a high ceiling too but his college coach Tom Crean said for Edwards to succeed, Anthony will need good veteran mentors and coaching to guide him in the NBA. Wolves don’t have any mentors and Ryan Saunders is still a question mark.

Lamelo Ball should be the pick and is my first choice. He has the highest talent and is a gym rat. I could see him being a young Jason Kidd. 12 pts, 8 ast, 6 rebs guy to start his career. He brings two elite skill sets on day 1, playmaking and handles which are A+. Young Jason Kidd shot 38% from the field and 28% from 3. But developed into an adequate shooter with his passing becoming a Hall of Famer.
karch34
Lead Assistant
And1: 693

Post#17 » by karch34 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:17 pm

UnFadeable21 wrote:
Jedzz wrote:

That's why him playing pro against grown men last year only helped his game even more to get use to the physicality of the NBA like for Luka to adjust easy.

Andrew Bogut played against Lamelo and said he will be an elite play maker day 1 in the NBA.

Luka played against grown men in an elite league and was an MVP caliber player. I don't think LaMelo's league or play were anywhere near Luka's.

I may be wrong but I'll say it again, is anyone falling over themselves for a taller Lonzo Ball? Useful player? Hell yes! Transformational player? If he fills out, learns to shoot, and learns to play defense then slight possibility.
UnFadeable21
Veteran

Post#18 » by UnFadeable21 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:21 pm

karch34 wrote:
UnFadeable21 wrote:
Jedzz wrote:

Luka played against grown men in an elite league and was an MVP caliber player. I don't think LaMelo's league or play were anywhere near Luka's.

I may be wrong but I'll say it again, is anyone falling over themselves for a taller Lonzo Ball? Useful player? Hell yes! Transformational player? If he fills out, learns to shoot, and learns to play defense then slight possibility.

John Hollinger, a former NBA GM said if Lonzo hit the free agent market, he would command 20 million a season.

Lamelo is projected to be better than Lonzo.
TheDominator273
Sixth Man
And1: 1,079

Post#19 » by TheDominator273 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:32 pm

UnFadeable21 wrote:
karch34 wrote:
UnFadeable21 wrote:

John Hollinger, a former NBA GM said if Lonzo hit the free agent market, he would command 20 million a season.

Lamelo is projected to be better than Lonzo.
Lonzo is an exceptional defender to go along with his playmaking and improving shot, LaMelo doesn't have nearly the defensive instincts or desire to play defense that Lonzo does.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#20 » by Jedzz » Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:36 pm

UnFadeable21 wrote:
Baseline81 wrote:Not going to lie, there's a part of me hoping Rosas selects someone other than Ball due to UnFadeable21's posts.

I’d be okay with Anthony Edwards, but his pro day had me a little worried. His jumper was inconsistent and he was very noticeably winded from the workout. Not in the best shape. He has a high ceiling too but his college coach Tom Crean said for Edwards to succeed, Anthony will need good veteran mentors and coaching to guide him in the NBA. Wolves don’t have any mentors and Ryan Saunders is still a question mark.

Lamelo Ball should be the pick and is my first choice. He has the highest talent and is a gym rat. I could see him being a young Jason Kidd. 12 pts, 8 ast, 6 rebs guy to start his career. He brings two elite skill sets on day 1, playmaking and handles which are A+. Young Jason Kidd shot 38% from the field and 28% from 3. But developed into an adequate shooter with his passing becoming a Hall of Famer.
If that was so acceptable to just be a passing fool and finally getting over 30% from three in year 7 than Rubio would never be traded. Ball has moves he learned to replicate and athletics and passing. Now somenoe has to take a flying leap of a guess whether he can learn this game in it's details like a pro does. He has a relaxed demeaner, he has said in the past 4 months time that he believes he's a good shooter and that's why he takes shots from anywhere. This kid likely needs to be broken down mentally by a coach and then built back up in a better manner yet. Hope someone good gets the job of doing so for his sake.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves