ImageImageImage

Hayward Likely to OPT-IN to final year of contract!

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

What should be the next step after Hayward opts in?

Remain on team for another Playoff run
16%
Traded on draft night
38%
Traded at deadline
1%
Theres a belief Hayward and team wants to help facilitate a trade
20%
Should sign a team friendly extension
25%

Total votes: 88

sam_I_am
RealGM
And1: 8,951

Re: Hayward Likely to OPT-IN to final year of contract! 

Post#541 » by sam_I_am » Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:53 pm

Spin Move wrote:Reports are they are trying to extend the deadline, don't see how that really helps the C's

It suggests to me that Hayward will opt out unless the Celtics can trade him to a team he wants to play for after opting in.
_s_t_u_r_t_
Veteran
And1: 723

Post#542 » by _s_t_u_r_t_ » Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:53 pm

Read on Twitter
amory87
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,434

Post#543 » by amory87 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:03 pm

wow, sure sounds like he gone
Spin Move
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,037

Post#544 » by Spin Move » Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:04 pm

sam_I_am wrote:
Spin Move wrote:Reports are they are trying to extend the deadline, don't see how that really helps the C's

It suggests to me that Hayward will opt out unless the Celtics can trade him to a team he wants to play for after opting in.

Could mean hayward wants to go to a specific team with that can't sign him outright and giving celts time to try and figure out a S and T, otherwise he opts in, not sure which way.
BillTheGOAT
Starter
And1: 1,930

Post#545 » by BillTheGOAT » Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:19 pm

Cant this Hayward debacle come to an end?

Cant wait to see him gone, but make sure we get something in return.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,528

Post#546 » by Fencer reregistered » Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:31 pm

Obviously, he was threatening to make whichever opt-in/opt-out decision the Celtics didn't want him to.

There's a high likelihood the Cs are working on a trade that includes him. That's not the same thing as saying there's a high likelihood that such a trade will actually happen.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,210

Post#547 » by Parliament10 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:34 pm

_s_t_u_r_t_ wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
JHTruth
RealGM
And1: 2,511

Post#548 » by JHTruth » Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:36 pm

We're clearly working out a deal. Now we're just waiting to see what we get for him.
Wish Gordon the best. He was snakebitten here but the guy has game. The Celtics roster simply passed him by as he was on the shelf.

Hopefully we can salvage decent value
_s_t_u_r_t_
Veteran
And1: 723

Post#549 » by _s_t_u_r_t_ » Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:56 pm

Red2
RealGM
And1: 4,313

Post#550 » by Red2 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:12 pm

He’s gone . Kyrie , al and now Gordon . So much for the leprechaun. But I’m ok with it . Let’s build around the young guys. Kemba is next to go
"Now, there's a steal by Bird..!"
SMTBSI
RealGM
And1: 25,281

Post#551 » by SMTBSI » Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:54 pm

With Harden heading to BRK, the writing's on the wall. Can't team build the old-fashioned way in this environment. Players have too much power, and are going to super-friends their way to wherever they want.

Time to align around Tatum's timeline, and hope he reaches the level where guys want to force their way here to play with him.

No purging resources for short-term fixes. No five picks for middling players. Asset-collect and start thinking about the next time we'll have cap space.
captain green
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,664

Post#552 » by captain green » Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:35 am

SMTBSI wrote:With Harden heading to BRK, the writing's on the wall. Can't team build the old-fashioned way in this environment. Players have too much power, and are going to super-friends their way to wherever they want.

Time to align around Tatum's timeline, and hope he reaches the level where guys want to force their way here to play with him.

No purging resources for short-term fixes. No five picks for middling players. Asset-collect and start thinking about the next time we'll have cap space.

Klutch sports and LeBron ruined a fair shake league. I concur with ya though. Adapt or decay
Brown's #1 fan on this forum.
LarryBirdsFingr
RealGM
And1: 18,455

Post#553 » by LarryBirdsFingr » Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:45 am

I'd do a reasonable rate deal, but not super excited about it, and would prefer to trade.
I don't believe in statistics. There are too many factors that can't be measured. You can't measure a ballplayer's heart. -Red Auerbach

Marcus Smart is an underrated shooter
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
amory87
Bench Warmer

Post#554 » by amory87 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:48 am

SMTBSI wrote:With Harden heading to BRK, the writing's on the wall. Can't team build the old-fashioned way in this environment. Players have too much power, and are going to super-friends their way to wherever they want.

Yep. In an era where top players can force a trade basically wherever they want at any time, the slow build to a championship is a dinosaur of a model and is basically impossible nowadays unless you happen to draft more than one transcendent superstar in a short period of time.

But with that in mind, I only agree with asset collecting to a certain point. The Celtics have been hoarding far too many assets for far too long. Danny really needs to figure out just wtf he's doing with this team. Pick a 2 year window and finally just go for broke. Pick a stud player and overpay to trade for him. Because at the end of the day, we're still not serious contenders right now despite all the draft picks and potential on the roster.

Just look at what's happened in the years since the Celtics started their meticulous build in preparation for the post-Warriors superteam age. Toronto made a very risky, short sighted play for Kawhi and won a title. Lakers quickly built a powerhouse around LeBron and won a title. The Nets have become an overnight destination in the East and if they get Harden would instantly become title favorites. Championship teams are built lightning quick in the NBA nowadays, and even after all the years of planning it can all be smashed to bits if another team loads up unexpectedly.
JHTruth
RealGM
And1: 2,511

Post#555 » by JHTruth » Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:08 pm

amory87 wrote:

Yep. In an era where top players can force a trade basically wherever they want at any time, the slow build to a championship is a dinosaur of a model and is basically impossible nowadays unless you happen to draft more than one transcendent superstar in a short period of time.

But with that in mind, I only agree with asset collecting to a certain point. The Celtics have been hoarding far too many assets for far too long. Danny really needs to figure out just wtf he's doing with this team. Pick a 2 year window and finally just go for broke. Pick a stud player and overpay to trade for him. Because at the end of the day, we're still not serious contenders right now despite all the draft picks and potential on the roster.

Just look at what's happened in the years since the Celtics started their meticulous build in preparation for the post-Warriors superteam age. Toronto made a very risky, short sighted play for Kawhi and won a title. Lakers quickly built a powerhouse around LeBron and won a title. The Nets have become an overnight destination in the East and if they get Harden would instantly become title favorites. Championship teams are built lightning quick in the NBA nowadays, and even after all the years of planning it can all be smashed to bits if another team loads up unexpectedly.

It's always been that way man. Kareem forced his way off the Bucks because he wanted to play in LA. Walton forced his way off the Clippers because he wanted to play for the Lakers or Celtics. Hoe many guys who never won anything signed up to ride the Coattails of Magic, Bird, Jordan, Shaq, etc. It's not that guys want to play for their friends, they want to play for the best teams. Which so happen to have the other good players.
amory87
Bench Warmer

Post#556 » by amory87 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:53 pm

JHTruth wrote:
amory87 wrote:

It's always been that way man. Kareem forced his way off the Bucks because he wanted to play in LA. Walton forced his way off the Clippers because he wanted to play for the Lakers or Celtics. Hoe many guys who never won anything signed up to ride the Coattails of Magic, Bird, Jordan, Shaq, etc. It's not that guys want to play for their friends, they want to play for the best teams. Which so happen to have the other good players.

I think friendships play way more of a role today than they did back in the eras you're talking about. And playing in a destination city (or at least a warm city) I think matters to players more than ever too.

But obviously winning is a primary concern. And throughout this build one common refrain from superstar camps when Boston is mentioned as a potential trade destination is that they don't want to come here. Watch what happens if the Harden rumors heat up. You'll start to see reports that he wouldn't consider re-signing with the Celtics if he were traded here, blah blah (although since he has 2 full years left on his deal before he can opt out, that isn't as much leverage in his case).

So either these guys really do just want to go play with their friends and if they can win titles doing it, great, or it's an indictment of our current roster. I'm guessing it's some of column A and some of column B.

I've strayed from my point here lol. Basically I think Danny has wasted far too much time on a build that has moved along at a glacial pace, and he needs to start making 'win now' moves with greater urgency and stop acting like he has forever to get us where we're trying to go.
sam_I_am
RealGM
And1: 8,951

Post#557 » by sam_I_am » Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:31 pm

amory87 wrote:
JHTruth wrote:
amory87 wrote:Yep. In an era where top players can force a trade basically wherever they want at any time, the slow build to a championship is a dinosaur of a model and is basically impossible nowadays unless you happen to draft more than one transcendent superstar in a short period of time.

I think friendships play way more of a role today than they did back in the eras you're talking about. And playing in a destination city (or at least a warm city) I think matters to players more than ever too.

But obviously winning is a primary concern. And throughout this build one common refrain from superstar camps when Boston is mentioned as a potential trade destination is that they don't want to come here. Watch what happens if the Harden rumors heat up. You'll start to see reports that he wouldn't consider re-signing with the Celtics if he were traded here, blah blah (although since he has 2 full years left on his deal before he can opt out, that isn't as much leverage in his case).

So either these guys really do just want to go play with their friends and if they can win titles doing it, great, or it's an indictment of our current roster. I'm guessing it's some of column A and some of column B.

I've strayed from my point here lol. Basically I think Danny has wasted far too much time on a build that has moved along at a glacial pace, and he needs to start making 'win now' moves with greater urgency and stop acting like he has forever to get us where we're trying to go.

Does Hayward have any friends beside Brad? I’m obviously just kidding.
Red2
RealGM
And1: 4,313

Post#558 » by Red2 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:28 pm

Is Brad a problem? Maybe guys don’t like playing for him. I get that Miami and LA have the weather, the girls, better taxes etc but is there something about Boston that players don’t like ( besides the cold)? I think we have to build our team around home grown talent especially if Hayward leaves. Get some young guys and maybe some picks. We still have tatum and brown and that’s a good start. If Hayward goes I trade Kemba as well if I can
"Now, there's a steal by Bird..!"
Jaqua92
RealGM
And1: 7,384

Post#559 » by Jaqua92 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:38 am

Red2 wrote:Is Brad a problem? Maybe guys don’t like playing for him. I get that Miami and LA have the weather, the girls, better taxes etc but is there something about Boston that players don’t like ( besides the cold)? I think we have to build our team around home grown talent especially if Hayward leaves. Get some young guys and maybe some picks. We still have tatum and brown and that’s a good start. If Hayward goes I trade Kemba as well if I can
It's quite possible that players just don't want to play for a nerd.

Not saying he is. But who's to say stars around the league don't think that?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
ConstableGeneva
RealGM
And1: 87,011

Post#560 » by ConstableGeneva » Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:10 am

Random scenario odds:

50% Hayward opts out, signs with a team w/ cap space
20% Hayward opts out, sign-and-trade
15% Hayward opts in, stays
10% Hayward opts in, gets traded
05% Hayward opts out, re-signs on lower AAV
░N░0░0░D░S░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░

Return to Boston Celtics