RealGM
And1: 21,145

Re: Shapiro/Atkins vs. Alex Anthopoulos 

Post#81 » by LBJKB24MJ23 » Fri Nov 6, 2020 6:10 am

ratul wrote:
LBJKB24MJ23 wrote:
ratul wrote:
What has shapiro won?

And if we take the fact that neither has won a world series (neither has Billy Beane) we should probably look at records in the playoffs. Alex has made the playoffs in four of the last six years (!) as GM. In the two other years (2016 and 2017) the team he built in Toronto made the playoffs in 2016 and in 2017 the dodgers made the playoffs.

Alex has made the playoffs more times in the last six years than Shapiro has in his ENTIRE career.

I PRAY that Rogers fires Shapiro. Right now Shapiro doesn't have a contract but if he gets a new one, I'll guess I will keep the TV off once again - like many blue jay fans have been doing since shapiro started this cluster eff of a team.

so basically you're saying he's won nothing. good job of proving his point.

Lol, Shapiro is a loser. A track record of 20 years of losing and counting.

last time i checked, AA has 11 years of losing and counting.
raf1995 wrote:I just don’t think he has that kind of potential. I think we will regret not trading him for a haul in a few years when he’s a mid-tier starter with nice playmaking and defense and a shaky jumper.
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,047

Post#82 » by The_Hater » Fri Nov 6, 2020 3:41 pm

LBJKB24MJ23 wrote:
ratul wrote:
LBJKB24MJ23 wrote:
so basically you're saying he's won nothing. good job of proving his point.

Amen.

Shapiro had so many overachieving teams in Cleveland that made the playoffs with small payrolls. Anyone painting his career as a losing career based in nothing accept WS titles is utterly clueless.

Just another predictably AWFUL take on the Jays board.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
rarefind
RealGM
And1: 10,001

Post#83 » by rarefind » Fri Nov 6, 2020 5:29 pm

The_Hater wrote:
LBJKB24MJ23 wrote:
ratul wrote:

Amen.

Shapiro had so many overachieving teams in Cleveland that made the playoffs with small payrolls. Anyone painting his career as a losing career based in nothing accept WS titles is utterly clueless.

AA gets painted as a hero but our first playoff berth was fueled by going all in on a team 10 games below .500 (when the Tulo trade happened).

AA and Beeston knew the writing was on the wall with their job status and went for it. If AA knew he was going to be around for the following year, he likely doesn't make the Tulo deal and definitely doesn't make the Price deal.

What preceded this was years of mediocrity and losing. This simply cannot be argued no matter how likeable and Canadian, he is. We certainly handed off the Franchise with a great minor league system but let's not pretend that AA's tenure was remarkable. He also inherited a pretty good situation in Atlanta, to be honest.

With that said, I like AA... seems like a good guy and I am happy for him.

Edit: 489–483 record as Jays GM. While he may have made one of the better trades in team history (Donaldson). This W-L record regardless of what he inherited isn't special.
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,047

Post#84 » by The_Hater » Fri Nov 6, 2020 5:39 pm

rarefind wrote:
The_Hater wrote:
LBJKB24MJ23 wrote:

Amen.

AA gets painted as a hero but our first playoff berth was fueled by going all in on a team 10 games below .500 (when the Tulo trade happened).

AA and Beeston knew the writing was on the wall with their job status and went for it. If AA knew he was going to be around for the following year, he likely doesn't make the Tulo deal and definitely doesn't make the Price deal.

What preceded this was years of mediocrity and losing. This simply cannot be argued no matter how likeable and Canadian, he is. We certainly handed off the Franchise with a great minor league system but let's not pretend that AA's tenure was remarkable. He also inherited a pretty good situation in Atlanta, to be honest.

With that said, I like AA... seems like a good guy and I am happy for him.

Edit: 489–483 record as Jays GM. While he may have made one of the better trades in team history (Donaldson). This W-L record regardless of what he inherited isn't special.

Yup. AA tried the slow, young approach and it wasn’t moving the needle. So first came the ill advised trade with Florida that brought Buerhle, Reyes and company, and that didn’t work, then he went all in sacrificing youth for high priced vets for 2 playoff runs that had an expiration date.

The biggest thing to give AA credit for here is leaving the ship before it sunk.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
Fairview4Life
RealGM
And1: 31,430

Post#85 » by Fairview4Life » Fri Nov 6, 2020 5:44 pm

I think AA made the right decision to try and speed up the process around EE and Jose. First swing at it was a big bust but the next few went great.
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.
phillipmike
Rookie
And1: 1,229

Post#86 » by phillipmike » Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:12 am

Read on Twitter

For our buddy Ratty
ratul
General Manager
And1: 4,402

Post#87 » by ratul » Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:05 am

Theo **** Epstein is available people - **** that sneaky contract extension BS - hire Theo EFFING epstein. The blue jays are embarrassed to announce Shapiro's extension but Theo EFFING Epstein is available!
phillipmike
Rookie
And1: 1,229

Post#88 » by phillipmike » Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:13 pm

Read on Twitter

5 more years ratty!
JPriest
Senior
And1: 843

Post#89 » by JPriest » Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:48 pm

5 more years! 5 more years! 5 more years! it was painful early on but his vision is starting to become a reality. Sustainable waves of cheap young talent and way more financial resources than what he had in Cleveland to sign big name players.
Osiris
"Beat The Commish" Champion
And1: 816

Post#90 » by Osiris » Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:54 pm

Just saw the extension news, particularly the part about it being a five year term, "which matches the length of his first contract".

This floored me, finding out that it has somehow already been almost 5 years since I cared about this team.

Dismiss me as a filthy casual all you like, but I feel for those of you that have hung around for this product.

Here's to the second five year stint actually seeing Shapiro turn his "commitment to excellence" into something tangible.
Fairview4Life
RealGM

Post#91 » by Fairview4Life » Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:59 pm

Osiris wrote:Just saw the extension news, particularly the part about it being a five year term, "which matches the length of his first contract".

This floored me, finding out that it has somehow already been almost 5 years since I cared about this team.

Dismiss me as a filthy casual all you like, but I feel for those of you that have hung around for this product.

Here's to the second five year stint actually seeing Shapiro turn his "commitment to excellence" into something tangible.

The Jays went to the playoffs twice in those 5 years, fyi.
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.
Osiris
"Beat The Commish" Champion
And1: 816

Post#92 » by Osiris » Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:12 pm

Fairview4Life wrote:The Jays went to the playoffs twice in those 5 years, fyi.

If you're counting 2016, where he took AA's team, added Estrada and Happ and otherwise ran it back, I'll give partial credit for that.

If last year's playoff appearance if enough to keep your whistle wet then I suppose you've got your man.

I remain hopeful that the new dome will bring with it a reinvestment and reinvigoration into the club proper.
Fairview4Life
RealGM

Post#93 » by Fairview4Life » Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:43 pm

Osiris wrote:
Fairview4Life wrote:The Jays went to the playoffs twice in those 5 years, fyi.

If you're counting 2016, where he took AA's team, added Estrada and Happ and otherwise ran it back, I'll give partial credit for that.

If last year's playoff appearance if enough to keep your whistle wet then I suppose you've got your man.

I remain hopeful that the new dome will bring with it a reinvestment and reinvigoration into the club proper.

Well, I look at it as we had an old team that had a final shot then had to be torn down and rebuilt and the new young team made it back to the playoffs last year, although Covid throws everything up in the air. But I see that as a pretty fast rebuild and certainly weird to say you haven't cared at all for 5 years...he was officially hired along with Atkins around the end of 2015. I find it odd to say you didn't care or pay attention to that 2016 team. You can certainly argue they could have torn the team down a little earlier than running it back for 2017 again, but it's pretty hard to argue that the Jays have been irrelevant or boring or whatever over that time. Even if you want to throw out last year because of Covid and the playoffs not being a real achievement or whatever, I don't really understand looking at a team full of really young players playing meaningful baseball as being something to ignore.

They were both hired at the end of the line for a very old team and have done a pretty good job at quickly rebuilding.
polo007
General Manager
And1: 2,652

Post#94 » by polo007 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:43 pm

Mark Shapiro agrees to 5-year extension with Blue Jays - Sportsnet.ca

4:23 | January 13, 2021

Blue Jays insiders Arden Zwelling, Ben Nicholson-Smith & Shi Davidi discuss the news of a 5-year extension for Blue Jays President & CEO Mark Shapiro and what it means for the club moving forward.
metafisical
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,714

Post#95 » by metafisical » Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:46 am

I want to see what Ratul has to say about this
I acknowledge and thank the lək̓ʷəŋən peoples of the Songhees, Esquimalt and W̱SÁNEĆ First Nations for allowing me to live, work and play on their unceded traditional territories. I also acknowledge the Métis Charter Community of Victoria.
dagger
RealGM
And1: 13,448

Post#96 » by dagger » Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:17 pm

metafisical wrote:I want to see what Ratul has to say about this

You could write his script without him
2019 will never be forgotten because FLAGS FLY FOREVER
Metallikid
RealGM
And1: 9,961

Post#97 » by Metallikid » Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:44 pm

Why are we giving him an extension after they have done **** all this offseason?
LBJKB24MJ23
RealGM
And1: 21,145

Post#98 » by LBJKB24MJ23 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:32 pm

ratul wrote:Theo **** Epstein is available people - **** that sneaky contract extension BS - hire Theo EFFING epstein. The blue jays are embarrassed to announce Shapiro's extension but Theo EFFING Epstein is available!

Finally, the Jays got their man and signed him to a 5 year extension. Be prepared for a glorious future Ratul. ain't no time to jump off the bandwagon. its just getting started.
raf1995 wrote:I just don’t think he has that kind of potential. I think we will regret not trading him for a haul in a few years when he’s a mid-tier starter with nice playmaking and defense and a shaky jumper.
Fairview4Life
RealGM

Post#99 » by Fairview4Life » Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:35 pm

Metallikid wrote:Why are we giving him an extension after they have done **** all this offseason?

What's make or break about this offseason, exactly?
rotty
Head Coach
And1: 35,090

Post#100 » by rotty » Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:52 pm

Metallikid wrote:Why are we giving him an extension after they have done **** all this offseason?

other than the mets, which team has done anything?

mlb offseasons are slow developing and I'd give them some time. Also Shapiros work over the last 3 years in specific have been terrific and also signing a big free agent pitcher last year. which you seem to have forgotten.

"lets ignore everything good he has done BECAUSE HE DIDNT DO ANYTHING IN AN OFFSEASON THAT ISNT COMPLETE" :lol:

Return to Toronto Blue Jays