babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,201

Re: 2020 Draft : Future Nugs 

Post#81 » by babyjax13 » Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:49 pm

skywalker33 wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:
skywalker33 wrote:
That’s really bad wingspan for a guy 6’6” and he looks like he has long arms to me. Questionable, where are you getting your info?

A million places:
https://www.google.com/search?q=desmond+bane+wingspan&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS806US806&oq=desmond+bane+&aqs=chrome.0.69i59j0i457j69i57j0l5.2203j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Babyjax, as usual, trying to incite a storm.....but thanks for the heads up, seems a local writer typo's his info, he's usually pretty reliable. Welcome back, Trouble !! :lol:

Sorry, that came across dickish lol :lol: I was just curious who Denver might be targeting if they are trying to move into the lottery so jumped over here.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 5,252

Post#82 » by skywalker33 » Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:59 pm

babyjax13 wrote:
skywalker33 wrote:

Babyjax, as usual, trying to incite a storm.....but thanks for the heads up, seems a local writer typo's his info, he's usually pretty reliable. Welcome back, Trouble !! :lol:

Sorry, that came across dickish lol :lol: I was just curious who Denver might be targeting if they are trying to move into the lottery so jumped over here.

My guess is Devin Vassell. Also heard Tyrese Haliburton or Isaac Okoro. Take that for what it's worth, came from the same source as I sited above but I can see a case for each. I'd also add in Saddiq Bey, he seems to be a diamond in the rough IMO. Vassell would be my choice, looks like SAS has their eyes on him, he has 2-way potential.
Texas Chuck wrote:I'd like to see Utah, and Denver lose

Exactly as I've been saying all along !!
babyjax13
RealGM

Post#83 » by babyjax13 » Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:00 pm

skywalker33 wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:
skywalker33 wrote:

My guess is Devin Vassell. Also heard Tyrese Haliburton or Isaac Okoro. Take that for what it's worth, came from the same source as I sited above but I can see a case for each. I'd also add in Saddiq Bey, he seems to be a diamond in the rough IMO. Vassell would be my choice, looks like SAS has their eyes on him, he has 2-way potential.

I like all of those guys, I think they'd be good additions.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,056

Post#84 » by NuggetsWY » Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:00 pm

I have a sure-fired approach to identifying who the Nuggets will draft. I won't be able to give you the name until one hour before their pick. Here's my approach; identify every player than any rumor suggests the Nuggets are interested in. That should eliminate 90% of everyone that might possibly be drafted by the Nuggets. Then, I take the remaining 5 or 6 names and put them on a dart board. I throw the dart with my eyes closed and whoever I come closest to, is the guy they'll pick.

I sometimes think the Nuggets take the same approach :lol: but however they do it, I'm mostly pretty impressed with their results! :nod:
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,338

Post#85 » by The Rebel » Fri Nov 13, 2020 4:29 am

babyjax13 wrote:
skywalker33 wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:

The rumor on Altitude which is owned by Kroenke sports entertainment is that it is for a JRue deal, the rumor is Harris, a top 10 pick, and 1 other player. Personally not a fan of the idea, but I can see them doing it.
babyjax13
RealGM

Post#86 » by babyjax13 » Fri Nov 13, 2020 5:01 am

NuggetsWY wrote:I have a sure-fired approach to identifying who the Nuggets will draft. I won't be able to give you the name until one hour before their pick. Here's my approach; identify every player than any rumor suggests the Nuggets are interested in. That should eliminate 90% of everyone that might possibly be drafted by the Nuggets. Then, I take the remaining 5 or 6 names and put them on a dart board. I throw the dart with my eyes closed and whoever I come closest to, is the guy they'll pick.

I sometimes think the Nuggets take the same approach :lol: but however they do it, I'm mostly pretty impressed with their results! :nod:

Their MO really seems to be potential above all else, I'd expect them, on that board, to take Okoro or Vassell. But if it's part of a trade for Jrue, also don't mind that.

JColl
skywalker33

Post#87 » by skywalker33 » Fri Nov 13, 2020 5:01 am

The Rebel wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:
skywalker33 wrote:

The rumor on Altitude which is owned by Kroenke sports entertainment is that it is for a JRue deal, the rumor is Harris, a top 10 pick, and 1 other player. Personally not a fan of the idea, but I can see them doing it.

Personally, if we could get a top 10 pick, I'll keep Harris , the other player and select Wing DevinVassell, who I believe can be as good, is bigger and can be better than Jrue IMO. We'd also get about 8 more years outta him than the 4-5 years of Holiday.

Also, if they feel Jrue is the answer AND he wants to come here to play, we can either try to trade for him at next year's deadline (which would give us time to evaluate our top 10 pick along with the rest of the team) or perhaps wait until next off-season and try to sign him in free agency if he wants to contend for a title and is willing to sign for a reasonable pricetag.

The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#88 » by The Rebel » Fri Nov 13, 2020 5:38 am

skywalker33 wrote:
The Rebel wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:

Personally, if we could get a top 10 pick, I'll keep Harris , the other player and select Wing DevinVassell, who I believe can be as good, is bigger and can be better than Jrue IMO. We'd also get about 8 more years outta him than the 4-5 years of Holiday.

Also, if they feel Jrue is the answer AND he wants to come here to play, we can either try to trade for him at next year's deadline (which would give us time to evaluate our top 10 pick along with the rest of the team) or perhaps wait until next off-season and try to sign him in free agency if he wants to contend for a title and is willing to sign for a reasonable pricetag.

I get moving Morris and our pick for a top 10 pick, Barton and our 1st for a top 10 pick is understandable as well, personally I don't know if I would do it as I have never been a huge draft guy but I understand the why you would.

If it cost something like Harris, KBD, and our 1st plus MOrris or Barton to get Jrue than I am not interested, that seems like enough for a true all star type of player. I do not see Jrue that way at all. Don't get me wrong, I would trade Harris straight up for Holiday, I would sign him as a free agent, but we are talking 2 starting quality players, a middling prospect, and a pick and he isn't worth all that to me.
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#89 » by The Rebel » Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:42 pm

Read on Twitter
skywalker33

Post#90 » by skywalker33 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:58 pm

The Rebel wrote:
Read on Twitter

I could easily see this happening, he seems exactly like the type of high-ceiling guy the Nuggets always look for. We're in a position where we don't have to draft for a specific need and we could stash him in Europe for a season or two. Usually I'm all over a player like Poku but something doesn't sit well with me on him, but I wouldn't be disappointed if we drafted him. Seems redundant with Bol (maybe that's what's gnawing at me with this pick ?), I'd expect one of them to be moved in a trade in the future though. I'd bet Jokic has some insight on this guy, probably love to play alongside one of his countrymen.

NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#91 » by NuggetsWY » Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:43 pm

skywalker33 wrote:
The Rebel wrote:
Read on Twitter

I could easily see this happening, he seems exactly like the type of high-ceiling guy the Nuggets always look for. We're in a position where we don't have to draft for a specific need and we could stash him in Europe for a season or two. Usually I'm all over a player like Poku but something doesn't sit well with me on him, but I wouldn't be disappointed if we drafted him. Seems redundant with Bol (maybe that's what's gnawing at me with this pick ?), I'd expect one of them to be moved in a trade in the future though. I'd bet Jokic has some insight on this guy, probably love to play alongside one of his countrymen.

I don't mind :lol: Here's my post from September :nod:
NuggetsWY wrote:Aleksej Pokusevski is built like Porzingis and his game is smooth with great range and decent handles. He's probably most effective when being used as a spot-up shooter. He's very young and could still become much greater than some forecast. With his height/wingspan, he can block shots. Like many European players, he's already been playing in some serious competition. His game is high-IQ. As an added bonus, he's from Serbia. So we could add a 7' Serbian SG to our 7' Serbian PG.
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#92 » by The Rebel » Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:56 pm

NuggetsWY wrote:
skywalker33 wrote:
The Rebel wrote:
Read on Twitter

I don't mind :lol: Here's my post from September :nod:
NuggetsWY wrote:Aleksej Pokusevski is built like Porzingis and his game is smooth with great range and decent handles. He's probably most effective when being used as a spot-up shooter. He's very young and could still become much greater than some forecast. With his height/wingspan, he can block shots. Like many European players, he's already been playing in some serious competition. His game is high-IQ. As an added bonus, he's from Serbia. So we could add a 7' Serbian SG to our 7' Serbian PG.

Like most other players mock drafts all seem to be very different on where they rank him. He seems to be a very high risk high reward type of guy, I wonder if we might be able to get a 2nd round pick and take him?
skywalker33

Post#93 » by skywalker33 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:20 pm

Well, here's my WANT list of players I think will be available tomorrow:

If we move up from #22:
Devin Vassell
Onyeka Okongwu
Patrick Williams
Saddiq Bey

At pick #22:
Josh Green
Zeke Nnaji
Desmond Bane
Aleksej Pokuševski

2ND rounders if we can acquire:
Grant Riller
Jay Scrubb
Tyler Bey
Udoka Azubuike
Josh Hall

THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets
And1: 6,484

Post#94 » by THE J0KER » Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:12 am

I ignored mostly the 2020 draft talk because it is hard to predict who will be available in the late first, and especially it is hard to discuss with NCAA season damaged with COVID19 break. But there is a scenario that one player which I followed in Serbia national team juniors selections can potentially be Nuggets #22 pick. Here is my personal opinion.

Aleksej Pokusevski makes the big mistake of being available as the youngest player for this draft. He is physically not ready to play in NBA this season for sure, so where he hurry? Basically, Nikola Jokic made the same mistake in 2014 when he decides (with his manager) 10 days before the draft to be available despite knows he is physically not ready to play in the NBA in 2014. That next season Jokic improve into regional ex-Yugoslavia ABA league youngest MVP, so he would be a lottery pick in the 2015 draft (maybe Denver which monitoring him more than other teams choose Joker in 2015 at #7 instead of Mudiay!).

European 7 footers with great court vision are an NBA winning formula, just take look at the careers of Jokic, Divac, Sabonis1, Sabonis2, Gasol1, Gasol2, Noah... But all these guys are centers, while Pokusevski is a guard-forward 7' option, so the only all-around Euro player which can be compared with him is Toni Kukoc. Toni Kukoc becomes a very young superstar in Europe, but he didn't join the NBA until the age of 25 when his body significantly improved compared to how he physically looked in his early '20s. Even with proof that he is the real deal and focuses on the gym, I don't see Pokusevski in NBA before 2022. He is one of the most intriguing players of this draft with some put him even as a lottery pick, but some not even in the 1st round. We see in Jokic, Simmons, Sabonis, Adebayo cases how successful can be a very tall great passer, but he can also never be ready for NBA. I'm pretty sure this guy should wait one or even two years for the draft. But just like in Jokic or Bol Bol cases, premature decision to join the draft year earlier than they should make him available for the Nuggets.
skywalker33

Post#95 » by skywalker33 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:18 am

Connelly's 2020 draft philosophy, nothing eye-opening but an interesting interview none the less

https://www.nba.com/nuggets/news/connelly-on-draft2020-20201116

THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets
And1: 6,484

Post#96 » by THE J0KER » Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:44 am

skywalker33 wrote:Connelly's 2020 draft philosophy, nothing eye-opening but an interesting interview none the less

There is a link for an even more interesting article about the upcoming draft IMO: Denver Nuggets front office reveals NBA Draft 2020 adjustments due to COVID-19 Pandemic

In general, I agree with the strategy to choose the best available player, especially for lottery picks. But in late first, if you don't think there is some draft-steal available, it is not a mistake to chose a player on the position you need the most. I guess in the Nuggets 2020 draft case it would be Josh Green, a two-way SG as a "safe option".
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#97 » by NuggetsWY » Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:43 am

THE J0KER wrote:I ignored mostly the 2020 draft talk because it is hard to predict who will be available in the late first, and especially it is hard to discuss with NCAA season damaged with COVID19 break. But there is a scenario that one player which I followed in Serbia national team juniors selections can potentially be Nuggets #22 pick. Here is my personal opinion.

Aleksej Pokusevski makes the big mistake of being available as the youngest player for this draft. He is physically not ready to play in NBA this season for sure, so where he hurry? Basically, Nikola Jokic made the same mistake in 2014 when he decides (with his manager) 10 days before the draft to be available despite knows he is physically not ready to play in the NBA in 2014. That next season Jokic improve into regional ex-Yugoslavia ABA league youngest MVP, so he would be a lottery pick in the 2015 draft (maybe Denver which monitoring him more than other teams choose Joker in 2015 at #7 instead of Mudiay!).

European 7 footers with great court vision are an NBA winning formula, just take look at the careers of Jokic, Divac, Sabonis1, Sabonis2, Gasol1, Gasol2, Noah... But all these guys are centers, while Pokusevski is a guard-forward 7' option, so the only all-around Euro player which can be compared with him is Toni Kukoc. Toni Kukoc becomes a very young superstar in Europe, but he didn't join the NBA until the age of 25 when his body significantly improved compared to how he physically looked in his early '20s. Even with proof that he is the real deal and focuses on the gym, I don't see Pokusevski in NBA before 2022. He is one of the most intriguing players of this draft with some put him even as a lottery pick, but some not even in the 1st round. We see in Jokic, Simmons, Sabonis, Adebayo cases how successful can be a very tall great passer, but he can also never be ready for NBA. I'm pretty sure this guy should wait one or even two years for the draft. But just like in Jokic or Bol Bol cases, premature decision to join the draft year earlier than they should make him available for the Nuggets.

Appreciate the input and it all makes sense. I still like the idea of the Nuggets picking him. He can be deep bench or draft-n-stash or two-way or whatever. We can find our backup centers & forwards and still draft Pokusevski - and I like that idea.
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#98 » by The Rebel » Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:10 am

skywalker33 wrote:Connelly's 2020 draft philosophy, nothing eye-opening but an interesting interview none the less

Sounds to me like they are looking for the highest upside guy who is a year or two away from earning minutes. Same thing we did since Connelly took over. If you look back the only guys they ever said they thought could come in and play immediate minutes was Mudiay, Lauvergne, and Nurkic. They drafted Beasley, MPJ, and Bol all while injured. They drafted Cancar, Juancho, and Jokic a year before they wanted them to come over. They fully expected Harris to take a year behind Foye and Afflalo. Morris they openly talked about sending to the Dleague the day of the draft. So far we seem to do well with it, so who is the highest upside guy that will be there at 22nd? Also who is a high upside guy that may drop into the mid-late 2nd?
skywalker33

Post#99 » by skywalker33 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:09 am

The Rebel wrote:

Sounds to me like they are looking for the highest upside guy who is a year or two away from earning minutes. Same thing we did since Connelly took over. If you look back the only guys they ever said they thought could come in and play immediate minutes was Mudiay, Lauvergne, and Nurkic. They drafted Beasley, MPJ, and Bol all while injured. They drafted Cancar, Juancho, and Jokic a year before they wanted them to come over. They fully expected Harris to take a year behind Foye and Afflalo. Morris they openly talked about sending to the Dleague the day of the draft. So far we seem to do well with it, so who is the highest upside guy that will be there at 22nd? Also who is a high upside guy that may drop into the mid-late 2nd?

Very astute observations, Rebel, goes with their high-ceiling history.

As for who, if this MO takes place I can see Poku being our target if he's there. I would still like to see them obtain a high to mid 2nd to get one of the guys (maybe even Poku ?) that fall in this draft. Without a full scouting camp on this draft class, a good player will fall without a doubt.

skywalker33

Post#100 » by skywalker33 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:34 pm

Report: Onyeka Okongwu Has Injured Foot - There's our Guy !!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to Denver Nuggets