ImageImageImage

Free Agency

Moderators: Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

vege
RealGM
And1: 4,255

Free Agency 

Post#1 » by vege » Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:15 am

There are some interesting Free Agents we could try to acquire.

We have 35 million in cap space.

Our priority should be bring Christian Wood back we should have at least 20 million in cap space after that, hopefully more. We don't have a lot of talent so we should acquire talent in Free Agency imo. We should take our chance in young high ceiling players.

There are particularly 3 players that are very interesting imo.

The first one is Bryn Forbes. He was developed in San Antonio and the Spurs are in a weird situation. There is no way in hell they pay the LT for the team they got. They have a lot of money invested in LMA and DeRozan.

Even tho Forbes started for them, and he is good, they have 4 guards in their roster under contract. Dejounte Murray, Derrick White, Lonnie Walker and Patrick Mills. So maybe we could steal Bryn Forbes for cheap. I think he would be a fantastic scorer of the bench for any team.

Another interesting player in my opinion would be Maurice Harkless. The Knicks are a mess, so we could try to get him. He is a very good defender and an average 3 point shooter. I believe he would fit well with Sekou, since he can play the 3 and the 4, with Wood at the 4 or the 5, so Mo would fit well with our core and we need people who can actually play defense, since we just donated probably our best defender to Brooklyn.

The next guy I'd try to sign would be a center. Nerlens Noel should be cheap and he is also a very good defender. He is a big upgrade over Thon Maker.

I don't think any of those players would cost more than 7 mil per year. We should give them 2 years contracts with 3rd being a team option and by the time Blake contract is done and we're ready to do something, we could bring them back or just let them go. They're all 27 or younger and they're worth investing some money and see if they could become part of our future.

There are other cheaper options that we should consider as well. Harry Giles, Noah Vonleh and Josh Jackson are all interesting talented cheap young players and we need some of those in our roster.

I would rather take that aproach instead of invest a lot of money on FVV for example.
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,884

Re: Free Agency 

Post#2 » by MotownMadness » Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:27 am

Rather take on salary for draft capital
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,347

Post#3 » by buzzkilloton » Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:06 pm

MotownMadness wrote:Rather take on salary for draft capital

Yeah I'm down for this. I want to stock up for these next two drafts then go for it.

With the way the East is going right now with Harden about to come over, Bucks improving even more, and Durant actually playing 0 point in going for anything anytime soon. We need to draft some franchise players and go from there.
Billl
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,374

Post#4 » by Billl » Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:02 pm

We should look at Forbes. Pass on the rest. We need to be taking fliers on guys with potential and on the upswing. There is no point in just signing guys that will help win some games now, but likely wouldn't be part of a contending team in the future.
kpt
Senior
And1: 209

Post#5 » by kpt » Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:04 pm

This is a great point. Hopefully our front office sees this too. Take on bad two year contract with good attitudes with 2021/22 FRPs attached. The top teams are set to be that way for the next several years.
thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,225

Post#6 » by thesack12 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:13 pm

I've been on the use cap space for trading purposes for years now. That said, Detroit is probably going to need to sign some guys just to fill the roster and get to the cap floor.

Those signings need to be young lottery ticket types (like a Josh Jackson, Jones Jr, Swanigan, etc), or higher number 1 year contracts for vets that you might be able to flip for a pick at the trade deadline (Like Gallinari, Crowder, Teague, etc.)

There is absolutely zero compelling reason to sign the likes of VanVleet to an expensive long term contract. Detroit needs to take the long view for once.
chrbal
RealGM
And1: 1,651

Post#7 » by chrbal » Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:41 pm

I would try to sign Harry Giles regardless of if we keep Wood or not. He’s still really young, injuries have set him back but that also keeps the price down .

Josh Jackson seems like he’s worth taking a low risk on.
BJK1
Senior
And1: 333

Post#8 » by BJK1 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:46 pm

chrbal wrote:I would try to sign Harry Giles regardless of if we keep Wood or not. He’s still really young, injuries have set him back but that also keeps the price.

Josh Jackson seems like he’s worth taking a low risk on.

I like those guys as targets as well. Still young guys with developmental upside.
vege
RealGM
And1: 4,255

Post#9 » by vege » Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:53 pm

I don't know, if we somehow unload Blake and Rose at the deadline and even Luke and we draft either Killian Hayes or Tyrese Haliburton, we would have

Christian Wood / Nerlens Noel
Sekou Doumbouya /
Mo Harkless / Svi Mikhailiuk
Bryn Forbes / Džanan Musa
Drafted PG

That's a cheap balanced young team with a ton of space to grow and they fit well together.
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 2,761

Post#10 » by theBigLip » Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:13 pm

Fact 1: No matter who we sign with our cap space we will not be a contender and at best, a 7-8 seed that will get crushed in the playoffs.

Fact 2: This is one of the worst free agency off seasons in a long time

Strategy 1: Use our cap space either (1) sign players to one year deals so we can have space next summer or (2) facilitate trades for other teams without cap space, picking up young players and picks in the process

Strategy 2: As much as I like both of these players, we need to move Rose and Blake. We can move Rose now, and if Blake is healthy, he might have some value at the trade deadline. Maybe wait to trade them both at the deadline since Rose will help Blake look good :-)
edmunder_prc
Sixth Man
And1: 813

Post#11 » by edmunder_prc » Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:25 pm

There is also the chance of a mid-season big move by a contender - not us - so Pistons should keep all the cap space open. That team will want to dump junk off to us, let us take salary, so they can get the star. Pistons would get picks for next year.

Last year Pistons were right up against the cap and it was awful. There are always people available at the mid-season mark if a team can just take their salary to let the contender add something better. Pistons need to be that team. Either now, to get picks, or mid-season to get picks.
thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,225

Post#12 » by thesack12 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:34 pm

edmunder_prc wrote:There is also the chance of a mid-season big move by a contender - not us - so Pistons should keep all the cap space open. That team will want to dump junk off to us, let us take salary, so they can get the star. Pistons would get picks for next year.

Last year Pistons were right up against the cap and it was awful. There are always people available at the mid-season mark if a team can just take their salary to let the contender add something better. Pistons need to be that team. Either now, to get picks, or mid-season to get picks.

I agree, if they can't find the right deals in the next couple weeks they should maintain as much cap flexibility as possible.

That said the cap floor is going to be around $98 mil, so Detroit is going to have to spend around $28 mil to get up to that. Signing Draft picks, and an extension for Wood would help eat up a big chunk of that.
stylesofpunk
Junior
And1: 140

Post#13 » by stylesofpunk » Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:12 pm

I could see us bringing in a guy like andre Roberson(weaver ties/brown replacement)

I would look at guys like giles/Hollis jefferson/korkmaz/jones jr
BJK1
Senior
And1: 333

Post#14 » by BJK1 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:22 pm

stylesofpunk wrote:I could see us bringing in a guy like andre Roberson(weaver ties/brown replacement)

I would absolutely say they should look at Korkmaz too as he can flat out shoot, but I think he’s still under contract with Philly for another year.
stylesofpunk
Junior
And1: 140

Post#15 » by stylesofpunk » Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:28 pm

BJK1 wrote:
stylesofpunk wrote:I could see us bringing in a guy like andre Roberson(weaver ties/brown replacement)

I would absolutely say they should look at Korkmaz too as he can flat out shoot, but I think he’s still under contract with Philly for another year.

Oh they had him as a fa on sportstrac
coordinator0
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,311

Post#16 » by coordinator0 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:16 am

After all the moves so far tonight there's been a lot of changes to Detroit's cap sheet. If I have everything up-to-date they should be sitting at just under $8 million in cap space. But that number assumes the full $12.8 million number for Ariza. It's hard to go off of anything else until the official terms are worked out. Also assumes the full 120% slot for Hayes, Stewart, and Bey but that's basically a given.

If Maker is completely gone then increase that number by nearly $5 million (I'm working off of his qualifying offer on my sheet). I think that's close to a given too but who knows. Detroit should still have enough room to keep Wood when it's all said and done. Of course there could be many more moves coming but so far this is where we're at.
LaSheed
Bench Warmer
And1: 564

Post#17 » by LaSheed » Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:52 am

So as it stands I believe this is where we are at.

Dedmond/Bradley/Stewart
Griffin/Sekou
Ariza/Bey/King
Svi/McGruder/Musa
Rose/Hayes/Lee/Hands

Guessing its Hands & King on 2 Way deals.

Dedmond is rumored to be moved again.

9 million to spend.

What in the world are we going to do?
chrbal
RealGM
And1: 1,651

Post#18 » by chrbal » Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:01 am

Keep moving parts around. Sign and trade Wood to try and get a pick or so. I still like my idea of adding Giles.

Shop Rose, Griffin, Azira, McGruder, and Dedmon
Liqourish
RealGM
And1: 2,245

Post#19 » by Liqourish » Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:19 am

I expect a number of moves, probably with other moves in mind, and fans will be up in arms. :lol:

Players to build around (ages), IMO...

PG: Killian Hayes 19/Jaylen Hands 21/Saben Lee 21
SG:
SF: Saddiq Bey 21/Dzanan Musa 21
PF: Sekou Doumbouya 19/Isaiah Stewart 19
C: Tony Bradley 22/Isaiah Stewart 19
Kilo
RealGM
And1: 5,104

Post#20 » by Kilo » Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:31 am

I believe it was reported that Seban Lee is one of Detroit's 2-way players. Sirvydis probably will get the other one.
Weaver = Hinkie
VW to Portland :pray:

Return to Detroit Pistons