ImageImageImage

Harden wants out of Houston...Do you trade Ben?

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

Would you trade Ben for Harden?

Hell Yes
53%
No way in Hell
47%

Total votes: 101

eyeatoma
RealGM
And1: 10,789

Re: Harden wants out of Houston...Do you trade Ben? 

Post#141 » by eyeatoma » Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:53 am

MVP1992 wrote:
76ciology wrote:Super hot take.

One angle nobody is talking is Ben Simmons.

if I’m Ben, I’m thrilled with the thought of having my own team with the Rox. And at the same time I would feel a lot of pressure from the notorious sixers fans who would expect a lot from me if the team choses Ben over Harden.

Given everything, i think it’s best if he asks for a trade if he ever dont get trade to the Rox.

Let's just say Harden ends up at the Celtics...

Who do you then shop Simmons to and for who?

Now that Booker has Paul, it would have to be Beal. I like Beal, but others don't.
SouthJersey
Starter
And1: 144

Post#142 » by SouthJersey » Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:56 pm

With the rumors of Harden only wanting to go to the Nets, Philly shouldn't be offering Ben or Embiid for him, so basically the trade won't happen. Also, I know it was an odd year, but from what I watched, Ben was clearly the better player than Joel this year.
eyeatoma
RealGM

Post#143 » by eyeatoma » Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:08 pm

SouthJersey wrote:With the rumors of Harden only wanting to go to the Nets, Philly shouldn't be offering Ben or Embiid for him, so basically the trade won't happen. Also, I know it was an odd year, but from what I watched, Ben was clearly the better player than Joel this year.

I wouldn't fully believe that rumor...
eyeatoma
RealGM

Post#144 » by eyeatoma » Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:09 pm

SouthJersey wrote:With the rumors of Harden only wanting to go to the Nets, Philly shouldn't be offering Ben or Embiid for him, so basically the trade won't happen. Also, I know it was an odd year, but from what I watched, Ben was clearly the better player than Joel this year.

As you said... It was an odd year.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,339

Post#145 » by 76ciology » Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:14 pm

MVP1992 wrote:
76ciology wrote:Super hot take.

One angle nobody is talking is Ben Simmons.

if I’m Ben, I’m thrilled with the thought of having my own team with the Rox. And at the same time I would feel a lot of pressure from the notorious sixers fans who would expect a lot from me if the team choses Ben over Harden.

Given everything, i think it’s best if he asks for a trade if he ever dont get trade to the Rox.

Let's just say Harden ends up at the Celtics...

Who do you then shop Simmons to and for who?

Here’s why its hard to trade Harden though.

If you are the Celtics, it would take Tatum to get it done. So it’s not like they’ll just easily form a superteam with Harden.

This is kind of why, upon listening to Zach Lowe and Windhorst on their podcast, i feel like we’re at a very advantageous position.

To get harden you need to trade a 25 or younger star (Rox is looking for a rebuild), and your team has to be talented enough after you make a trade. Which is exactly what we are.

And if Rox will trade Harden for like Jaylen Brown, Smart and picks. They will ask Morey for a counter offer before pulling the trigger.

Anyway, i sense that most analyst expects Beal to be the guy people will go after once they dont win the harden sweepstakes. That said, Nets can go after Beal, then pair him with Kyrie and KD.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#146 » by 76ciology » Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:18 pm

The thing is Harden is not on his expiring year so he can’t really dictate where he specifically wants to go.

Right now that list he has (Nets and Sixers) is more saying that he will only re-sign with these teams so if you are not included on this list, consider him as a rental.

If you think Ben is clearly better, then I’m happy there are people like you who thinks so. And I hope Rox GM also thinks the same way :wink:
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
ProcessDoctor
General Manager
And1: 5,153

Post#147 » by ProcessDoctor » Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:34 pm

Odds Ben Simmons becomes an MVP-caliber player within the next 4 seasons?
2023-2024 Philadelphia 76ers:

Lowry/Melton/Payne
Maxey/Hield/Council
Oubre/Batum/Martin
Harris/Covington/Wilson
Embiid/Reed/Bamba
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,444

Post#148 » by youngcrev » Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:49 pm

ProcessDoctor wrote:Odds Ben Simmons becomes an MVP-caliber player within the next 4 seasons?

Maybe like 10%?

He's a +6000 to be on this year (comparatively Giannis is a +600 to repeat).

I think this year will probably be the biggest indicator of where he can be. We're already talking a multi-all star, All-NBA, all-defensive player. If Doc can unlock his offensive game he might be able to make that leap.

In which case this will be one of those moments we look back on and go "Remember when we almost trade Ben for a 31 year old Harden? Yikes"
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,748

Post#149 » by Stanford » Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:59 pm

ProcessDoctor wrote:Odds Ben Simmons becomes an MVP-caliber player within the next 4 seasons?

Zero percent chance. Other than Nash, MVP candidates score mid-20s and above. It ain't Ben.
davesilver
Junior
And1: 204

Post#150 » by davesilver » Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:03 pm

I mean if Russ could be an MVP why can't Ben
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,444

Post#151 » by youngcrev » Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:05 pm

davesilver wrote:I mean if Russ could be an MVP why can't Ben

Because Ben's too team oriented to put up those type of inflated numbers
SouthJersey
Starter
And1: 144

Post#152 » by SouthJersey » Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:05 pm

Stanford wrote:

Zero percent chance. Other than Nash, MVP candidates score mid-20s and above. It ain't Ben.

So there is a chance?
VDT
Analyst
And1: 2,106

Post#153 » by VDT » Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:19 pm

I think if there is no Harden trade today, our chances to get him significantly increase.
davesilver
Junior
And1: 204

Post#154 » by davesilver » Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:48 pm

VDT wrote:I think if there is no Harden trade today, our chances to get him significantly increase.

Agreed that time is working in our favor.

If we landed him, I'm sure it would've altered our draft strategy though
76ciology
RealGM

Post#155 » by 76ciology » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:20 am

Morey just said he sees Biid and Ben on the team for a long time.
FireMorey
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,560

Post#156 » by FireMorey » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:23 am

He also said they wouldn't trade Chris Paul before they traded him. Doesn't mean they'll trade Simmons, but of course he won't say anything else.
ivysixer2000
General Manager
And1: 2,009

Post#157 » by ivysixer2000 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:27 am

76ciology wrote:Morey just said he sees Biid and Ben on the team for a long time.

Exactly what they say right when they are thinking trade in their heads.

If anything, the pickups tonight show how much shooting means to Morey.

If Ben decides to not shoot again this season, Ben better watch his back. I don't think Morey or Rivers will put up with that.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#158 » by 76ciology » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:27 am

PhilaOwnsBoston wrote:He also said they wouldn't trade Chris Paul before they traded him. Doesn't mean they'll trade Simmons, but of course he won't say anything else.

True. He could be building the exact Rox team Harden was playing with our team, for all we know.

He’d lose all his leverage in a negotiation if he went “light” on Ben (i.e. not mentioning him on future plans and etc)
76ciology
RealGM

Post#159 » by 76ciology » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:31 am

I’d go back to my earlier point with my post.

I feel like Ben will eventually ask for a trade if he and the public knew he was shopped around and was chosen over Harden. So its better for Morey to act in public that Ben is untouchable.
Skates
Head Coach
And1: 3,770

Post#160 » by Skates » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:37 am

The team they built tonight does not feel like one built to go dealing for Harden. I think they took their shot and moved on. Maxey as a high upside pick could alter that if he develops quickly, but if he does just keep him. I’d look for more of an impact SF move down the road, rather than waiting on Harden.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers