ImageImageImageImageImage

Dwight To Philly

Moderators: Danny Darko, Kilroy, TyCobb

stan francisco
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,538

Dwight can’t play ‘for nothing’ 

Post#1 » by stan francisco » Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:54 pm

He just stated that he plans to get paid next season. I guess that means elsewhere, but I hope not. What are your thoughts?

I know that we need to know how much AD will make before we can give a number relative to the Lakers.

But regardless of the Lakers, how much do you think DH worth on the free agent market? $5M? $15M? $20M? More? His defense is elite. Sets solid screens. Just won a championship.

CP3 @$44M? Dwight should easily get $10M per.

I’d offer him 2 years, plus 1 (TO) at $12M for 2020-21, $8M for 2021-22, $5M 2022-23 (team option).

Three years for $25M sounds about right to me. His sacrifice contributed greatly to our 17th. Given that he already made hundreds of millions, he should ageee and say thanks.

Your thoughts?
PG: D Lo / Reaves / Vincent(IL) / JHS
SG: Christie / Dinwiddie / Lewis / Mays
SF: LBJ / Prince / Reddish / Windler
PF: Rui / Vando(IL) / LBJ
CTR: AD / Hayes / Wood

Modern era NBA titles:
LAL 11, CHI 6, SAS 5, BOS 5, GSW 4
Ball so hard
Sixth Man
And1: 677

Re: Dwight can’t play ‘for nothing’ 

Post#2 » by Ball so hard » Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:23 pm

Highly unlikely he get's offered more than the Taxpayer MLE which is about 6m per season. Frankly, I wouldn't offer him anything more than 5-6 mil per season.
Beethoven
Head Coach
And1: 3,805

Post#3 » by Beethoven » Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:29 pm

I would like for him to stay and for the lakers to respectfully offer him a decent 2 yr deal or something like you said (slightly less for his first year though; 12 million way too much). However I wouldn't mind losing him if he finds a good contract elsewhere. He is overall very helpful in spurts on defense but he doesn't set good screens, thus disagree. He moves too much on the screens and he fouls offensively on every single one. We are lucky he didn't get called on most of them. He is not focused as well on remaining disciplined on good clean defense under the hoop. He stalls the game too much when the game gets heated and you can see it on the players' faces sometimes he's got so many whiny antics. He just got to clean it up. Albeit I have to admit those antics did contribute to our ability to contain jokic somewhat. (However jokic will mentally adjust and not be dismayed by him this year I'm sure as he is a player of constant improvement ).
Kobe Bryant forever
GO LAKERS
8-)
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#4 » by Kilroy » Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:44 pm

It's Dwight Howard... Of course he wasn't really doing it for his legacy... I think we all knew this was the likely outcome. Someone will pay him, he'll come into next season in nowhere near as good condition, with nowhere near as good attitude, rub his new team the wrong way and get dumped halfway through the season... If they weren't too stupid with what they paid him... If someone gets real stupid and gives him CP3 money, it'll be hilarious... Unless we do it.

Figure McGee will opt in, so we'll get through the season on that... I'd be in for giving Cousins a vet min and letting him play his way into shape throughout the season, and hopefully be a force in the post season for us.
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
Lakers24gm
Junior
And1: 118

Post#5 » by Lakers24gm » Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:07 pm

100% this. No way im paying Dwight more then the min. He played great last year but finding a big man on a min contract is a lot easier now. All Laker fans are hoping Mcgee opts out. To me Cousins on a min contract is the way to go.

Kilroy wrote:It's Dwight Howard... Of course he wasn't really doing it for his legacy... I think we all knew this was the likely outcome. Someone will pay him, he'll come into next season in nowhere near as good condition, with nowhere near as good attitude, rub his new team the wrong way and get dumped halfway through the season... If they weren't too stupid with what they paid him... If
someone gets real stupid and gives him CP3 money, it'll be hilarious... Unless we do it.

Figure McGee will opt in, so we'll get through the season on that... I'd be in for giving Cousins a vet min and letting him play his way into shape throughout the season, and hopefully be a force in the post season for us.
kblo247
RealGM
And1: 2,130

Post#6 » by kblo247 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:32 pm

Kilroy wrote:It's Dwight Howard... Of course he wasn't really doing it for his legacy... I think we all knew this was the likely outcome. Someone will pay him, he'll come into next season in nowhere near as good condition, with nowhere near as good attitude, rub his new team the wrong way and get dumped halfway through the season... If they weren't too stupid with what they paid him... If someone gets real stupid and gives him CP3 money, it'll be hilarious... Unless we do it.

Why would Dwight take less? He made about 6 mil last year, really 5 as he gave the last mil to charity. But between his buyout and the vet min he got that much. He didn’t play himself into a salary reduction by half the amount. He got every right to say f that if you say now cut your pay in half this year and possibly be a starting center too if Javale opt out
slifersd
Analyst
And1: 210

Post#7 » by slifersd » Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:24 pm

I feel the same way about Dwight as I do with almost all our FA except for AD. They all have value and served our team well during the championship run, but I wouldn't pay long term big money contract for anyone of them. Dwight's redemption was a fun story to follow and a big surprise for us last year. But at his age, with his limitations (can't shoot, can't be switched onto smaller players on D) and tendency to be a "me first" type of player, he isn't worth a whole lot more than the vets minimum in today's NBA. Guys who can grab boards, block a shot or two and run the floor are a dime a dozen nowadays. If Dwight wants to come back on a team friendly contract, I am all for it, but if he wants to get paid, I would rather we pivot to someone like Nerlens Noel who can do 80% of what Dwight does and play for pretty much minimum.
stan francisco
Lead Assistant

Post#8 » by stan francisco » Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:26 pm

The screens he sets, the moving picks he gets away with, his pushing big men off the block, rebounding, blocks, length, height.

He’ll be missed. Let’s not kid ourselves. DH played very well in the post season. My willingness to over pay him this year is to say thanks, Laker loyalty. Things like that sends ripples to other vets out there pondering where to retire.

What I’m saying is, people won’t realize what we’ll miss until he’s traded.

Modern era NBA titles:
eckoner
Sixth Man
And1: 208

Post#9 » by eckoner » Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:46 pm

He is replaceable! He always has to say something that just rubs people the wrong way. Im done with that dude
BEazy
RealGM
And1: 2,483

Post#10 » by BEazy » Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:17 pm

Nerlens Noel sounds good to me.

Long Live The Black Mamba. Kobe Bean Bryant Laker For Life. 8/24
Slink
Bench Warmer
And1: 939

Post#11 » by Slink » Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:28 pm

Can't disagree with most of you. If he wants a pay day, he'll have to look somewhere else. I believe Pelinka still wants to preserve as much cap space for next off-season. We'll just take our chances with Cousins and hope he can have a season like Dwight did.
Spens1
RealGM
And1: 3,878

Post#12 » by Spens1 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:34 pm

wouldn't give the bi annual or MLE for him so yeah, if he doesn't want the vet min then maybe we move on and try to bring back DMC again and see what we can do there.
SlimShady83
General Manager
And1: 1,094

Post#13 » by SlimShady83 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:40 pm

:naaa: :naaa: :naaa: :naaa: :naaa:

see ya wouldn't wanna be ya

Let's all hope for a cousins recovery even 70% healthy cousins is good

Add in Ibaka we good to go
I'M OFFICALLY ON HOLIDAYS! I JUST LOVE IT HOW PEOPLE GET BUTT HURT OVER SOMEONES OWN SIGNATURE LMAO!.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS ALL I'LL BE BACK! AND BACK WITH MORE BUTT HURT SIGNATURS LMAO
Beethoven
Head Coach

Post#14 » by Beethoven » Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:04 am

Are we getting ibaka is the question
Kobe Bryant forever
GO LAKERS
8-)
stan francisco
Lead Assistant

Post#15 » by stan francisco » Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:43 am

CENTER ROTATION:
First string: Ibaka or Noël or JMG

Second string: I’d let Kostas use his minutes to get ready for the playoffs and not expect much from him until then,

Third string: Same patience with DMC.

Modern era NBA titles:
lazybatman
Sixth Man
And1: 876

Post#16 » by lazybatman » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:15 am

All the good that this ring did to his image goed back to zero after that statement.

I think Pelinka should ask him to get an offer sheet, and when he doesn't get one, ask him to really play for free this year.

Sent from my SM-G960W using RealGM mobile app
LAKESHOW
RealGM
And1: 4,177

Post#17 » by LAKESHOW » Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:18 am

We took that sumbiatch in like a broken down puppy, and rehabilitated him into a Champiomship Lion! Who da he!! Does he think he is! We offered the world for him the 1st time around, he slapped us in the face and walked. Then we just gave him a Rang on that fanger when he was all but done and nobody wanted him. NOW this ungrateful........ actin like he played for free, for nuttin last year??? Dwight, you didn't play for free last year, you were playing for your Honor, Dignity and Validation to be returned...AND WE GAVE IT TO YOU! F this
Home of the 17 Time World Champions
SlimShady83
General Manager
And1: 1,094

Post#18 » by SlimShady83 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:34 am

lazybatman wrote:All the good that this ring did to his image goed back to zero after that statement.

I think Pelinka should ask him to get an offer sheet, and when he doesn't get one, ask him to really play for free this year.

Sent from my SM-G960W using RealGM mobile app

Won't happen he is gone. We want people who want to win not get $$$

Ibaka said he wants to win - give him the $$$ at all cost

Lose Coward I mean Howard and Mcgee. Sign Ibaka
I'M OFFICALLY ON HOLIDAYS! I JUST LOVE IT HOW PEOPLE GET BUTT HURT OVER SOMEONES OWN SIGNATURE LMAO!.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS ALL I'LL BE BACK! AND BACK WITH MORE BUTT HURT SIGNATURS LMAO
iamworthy
RealGM
And1: 8,909

Post#19 » by iamworthy » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:43 am

Bye Dwight.
Beethoven
Head Coach

Post#20 » by Beethoven » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:53 am

Wow the Dwight hate is strong in this one.
Kobe Bryant forever
GO LAKERS
8-)

Return to Los Angeles Lakers