ImageImageImage

Nuggets - Potential FA Signing

Moderator: THE J0KER

DaFan334
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,331

Re: Nuggets - Potential FA Signing 

Post#61 » by DaFan334 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:30 am

I think I have to agree with you on backup Center being important, but I wouldn't be shocked to see us simply bring back Plumlee on a much cheaper deal. They seem to like him a lot more than the fans do. I think you need to bring in a guy who can muscle around and occasionally play with Jokic. Favors, Thompson, Baynes would are probably the most likely targets. Ibaka is probably a pipe dream.

I would really love to see us make a move for Jae Crowder to replace Craig. I know we have a lot of combo forward types, but none that are really going to tip the scale on toughness and defense. We need that sort of guy for LeBron and Kawhi IMO and I don't know if KBD is that guy or if Cancar's new size will make him that guy.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,056

Post#62 » by NuggetsWY » Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:43 am

DaFan334 wrote:I think I have to agree with you on backup Center being important, but I wouldn't be shocked to see us simply bring back Plumlee on a much cheaper deal. They seem to like him a lot more than the fans do. I think you need to bring in a guy who can muscle around and occasionally play with Jokic. Favors, Thompson, Baynes would are probably the most likely targets. Ibaka is probably a pipe dream.

I would really love to see us make a move for Jae Crowder to replace Craig. I know we have a lot of combo forward types, but none that are really going to tip the scale on toughness and defense. We need that sort of guy for LeBron and Kawhi IMO and I don't know if KBD is that guy or if Cancar's new size will make him that guy.

I'm on board with concern about backup center and I'll add backup PF to that. I wouldn't be shocked to see them sign Plumlee either, but Thompson and Baynes would be nice, Favors wouldn't be too bad. My preference remains Dwight Howard.

I also agree about Crowder. We have plenty of combo forwards, as has been pointed out. But Crowder has proved that he is efficient in the playoffs. He's willing to do the dirty work and defer to the stars without being afraid to take and make shots. His defense is reasonably solid and Malone ought to like that.
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,338

Post#63 » by The Rebel » Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:25 pm

NuggetsWY wrote:
DaFan334 wrote:I think I have to agree with you on backup Center being important, but I wouldn't be shocked to see us simply bring back Plumlee on a much cheaper deal. They seem to like him a lot more than the fans do. I think you need to bring in a guy who can muscle around and occasionally play with Jokic. Favors, Thompson, Baynes would are probably the most likely targets. Ibaka is probably a pipe dream.

I'm on board with concern about backup center and I'll add backup PF to that. I wouldn't be shocked to see them sign Plumlee either, but Thompson and Baynes would be nice, Favors wouldn't be too bad. My preference remains Dwight Howard.

I also agree about Crowder. We have plenty of combo forwards, as has been pointed out. But Crowder has proved that he is efficient in the playoffs. He's willing to do the dirty work and defer to the stars without being afraid to take and make shots. His defense is reasonably solid and Malone ought to like that.

I really do wonder if we are going to just run it back, the team got further than expected and you know our front office is loyal to their players, but bringing back Plumlee and Craig are big mistakes if you ask me.

I would be fine with Crowder, I just think we really need a backup C and a true scorer off the bench, if we can get those and Crowder without losing our starters than I am happy with our offseason.
TunaFish
Head Coach
And1: 5,772

Post#64 » by TunaFish » Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:37 pm

Joe Harris (Nets UFA) is getting some in interest in Atlanta. I think he would be an upgrade at shooting guard in Denver and we have not talked about him here (or heard about in rumors). The Nets are all in on the Harden sweepstakes and they already have a number of guards but they claim they want to keep him. With Harden in the mix they may be thinking of trading for some picks. Atlanta is not likely to break the bank for Joe Harris as they have other free agent targets.

How about Garry Harris and/or 2020 FRP for Joe Harris on a sign and trade?
Canned in Denver.
TunaFish
Head Coach

Post#65 » by TunaFish » Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:58 pm

The Rebel wrote:
Manolito wrote:Bogdanovic could have chosen perfectly the Nuggets, a contender with his friend Jokic, but the contract must be three years long. Maybe that third year scared FO, when MPJ new contract kicks on (Bogdanovic is already 28).

I am zero worried about Jokic´s backup. Center is the cheapest position nowadays and is going to play 10 minutes per game, I would not make any investment in that slot. Young guy for the minimum, even bring Vonleh back.

As I stated in my previous message, we need solid SF/PF that can contribute since day one. A couple of vet guys with PO experience who can guard ADavis 20 minutes is mandatory if we want to have a deep play off run. I don´t see such profile available for MLE (Ibaka or Crowder will be more expensive). Actually depending on the 2021 FRP protection, I would have tried to trade for Covington.

I am fine with Harris & Barton as SG next year. Their current trade value is lower than their upside

I would argue that if we are re-signing Grant that our biggest issue is backup C.

We have MPJ, Grant, KBD, and Cancar that are all combo forwards, if you do not think that Cancar or KBD can play than they should not be on the team, if they can play than they need to find minutes for them to at least compete over.

By the way the only 2 guys on our roster that even slowed Davis down were Millsap and Jokic, go look at the game logs. Davis abused combo forwards and undersized Centers their entire playoff run, including Grant when he was on him. While MIllsap is slightly undersized, he has been a traditional PF for a long time.

If we keep Barton, Harris, and Morris, than with Murray and Dpzier we have 5 guards so we are basically set there.

I could see the argument that we need a SG/Sf for when teams go small against our bench, but considering are players already on the roster I would say the fact that we have no Centers outside of Jokic is a much bigger issue.

Backup center is a big issue. However, there are a lot of centers out there in the free agent market and I think we can solve this problem rather easily, at least I hope we can.

Don't shoot the messenger but what if Plumlee agrees to return on a small contract, i.e. veterans minimum.
Canned in Denver.
skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 5,252

Post#66 » by skywalker33 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:27 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if Plumlee resigns, I hate his FT's and he really seemed to regress a bit on defense last year but we could do worse. If it's close to the vet minimum it wouldn't bother me. I would prefer a TT, Favors or Baynes signing though, they seem to bring the toughness we're lacking, Plumlee doesn't.
Texas Chuck wrote:I'd like to see Utah, and Denver lose

Exactly as I've been saying all along !!
DaFan334
Assistant Coach

Post#67 » by DaFan334 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:04 pm

If we lose Grant, I think a name to look at would be Christian Wood. If he can keep up is production from last year, he could be an ideal fit next to Jokic and could play some minutes at the 5 to back him up. My only concern, we would probably have some issues defending bigger guys in the post and might have to get another big body in there.

Kosta Kuffus is also interested in returning to the NBA if all other options fail.
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#68 » by The Rebel » Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:11 pm

DaFan334 wrote:If we lose Grant, I think a name to look at would be Christian Wood. If he can keep up is production from last year, he could be an ideal fit next to Jokic and could play some minutes at the 5 to back him up. My only concern, we would probably have some issues defending bigger guys in the post and might have to get another big body in there.

Kosta Kuffus is also interested in returning to the NBA if all other options fail.

I think Wood is going to get a bigger deal than Grant will. Fact is I am okay with Grant leaving if we can do a sign and trade to get an asset and a TPE. I think Grant is going to get overpaid based on the Lakers series, where he looked better than he had all season.

I would be happy with Koufos if we are stuck going with the cheap option.
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#69 » by The Rebel » Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:13 pm

Read on Twitter

Howard is looking to get paid. Not sure what he can get out on the market, but I can see at least the taxpayer MLE.
DaFan334
Assistant Coach

Post#70 » by DaFan334 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:18 pm

The Rebel wrote:
DaFan334 wrote:If we lose Grant, I think a name to look at would be Christian Wood. If he can keep up is production from last year, he could be an ideal fit next to Jokic and could play some minutes at the 5 to back him up. My only concern, we would probably have some issues defending bigger guys in the post and might have to get another big body in there.

I think Wood is going to get a bigger deal than Grant will. Fact is I am okay with Grant leaving if we can do a sign and trade to get an asset and a TPE. I think Grant is going to get overpaid based on the Lakers series, where he looked better than he had all season.

I think you might be correct about Wood. He has a smaller sample size, but better numbers than Grant. He is what I hope we get out of Bol Bol with a little bit more ball handling. If we don't get Grant back, I think we need to do something big with regards to defenders.
TunaFish
Head Coach

Post#71 » by TunaFish » Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:37 pm

DaFan334 wrote:
The Rebel wrote:

I think you might be correct about Wood. He has a smaller sample size, but better numbers than Grant. He is what I hope we get out of Bol Bol with a little bit more ball handling. If we don't get Grant back, I think we need to do something big with regards to defenders.

I see the same issues with Wood, he could be a breakout star at PF/C or he could be a flash in the pan. Someone may overpay or someone may hit a home run. Detroit fans love him but are also weary of what he may cost. It seems a bit odd that a player could drift around the league for years and suddenly emerge at the end of his contract. Arguably, its about the court time given him due to circumstances. It still seems odd that nba coaches earlier in his career wouldn't have given him a longer look.
Canned in Denver.
THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets
And1: 6,512

Post#72 » by THE J0KER » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:45 am

Minnesota drafted Edwards and traded for Rubio. I think Beasley is maybe open for comeback if he gets 50/3 and starter role (with Harris and Barton exit).
jpatrick
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,598

Post#73 » by jpatrick » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:59 am

THE J0KER wrote:Minnesota drafted Edwards and traded for Rubio. I think Beasley is maybe open for comeback if he gets 50/3 and starter role (with Harris and Barton exit).

Beasley may be serving some jail time and/or face a suspension. Have to see how his legal troubles resolved.
THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets
And1: 6,512

Post#74 » by THE J0KER » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:50 am

Read on Twitter
?s=20
DaFan334
Assistant Coach

Post#75 » by DaFan334 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:22 am

THE J0KER wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

That could be an interesting one. He can score.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,056

Post#76 » by NuggetsWY » Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:20 am

DaFan334 wrote:
THE J0KER wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

and shoot from distance!!!
Manolito
Senior
And1: 390

Post#77 » by Manolito » Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:16 am

After the draft, looks evident that Monte Morris will be moved and all FA efforts shall be focused on SF/PF (and obviously renewing Grant). I assume Nnaji can also play as C (he is 7ft tall)

Murray Monte Hampton
Harris Barton Dozier
MPJ KBD
Grant Bol Bol Cancar
Jokic Nnaji

We could land a decent 3D with Barton + Monte and use the full MLE in a backup PF

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using RealGM mobile app
Manolito
Senior
And1: 390

Post#78 » by Manolito » Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:39 pm

I am reading everywhere in Spain that Campazzo is going to sign with the Nuggets.

I love the guy, he is an extremely strong competitor and the best PG in Europe and good defender despite his height. He is 29, his prime should last two more years at least.

Campazzo might get the full MLE, but that means Morris is going

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using RealGM mobile app
skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 5,252

Post#79 » by skywalker33 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:18 pm

DaFan334 wrote:
THE J0KER wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

Know it sounds biased, but the guy is only 5'11", hope he's a jet on the court.
Texas Chuck wrote:I'd like to see Utah, and Denver lose

Exactly as I've been saying all along !!
TunaFish
Head Coach

Post#80 » by TunaFish » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:29 pm

skywalker33 wrote:
DaFan334 wrote:
THE J0KER wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

Know it sounds biased, but the guy is only 5'11", hope he's a jet on the court.

Size is always a concern. Then I again, one of the Nugget's best players in their history was Michael Adams at 5'10".

I will never forget this game: https://theundefeated.com/features/the-day-denver-nuggets-guard-michael-adams-became-the-shortest-nba-player-to-record-a-triple-double/
Canned in Denver.

Return to Denver Nuggets