Kristaps Porzingis will not be ready when the NBA season resumes on Dec. 22

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 7,989

Kristaps Porzingis will not be ready when the NBA season resumes on Dec. 22 

Post#1 » by HMFFL » Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:22 pm

Mavericks star Kristaps Porzingis will not be ready when the NBA season resumes on Dec. 22, GM and President of Basketball Operations Donnie Nelson said Monday on 105.3 The Fan.

– via radio.com

https://www.radio.com/1053thefan/sports/dallas-mavericks/kristaps-porzingis-wont-be-ready-to-go-for-season-opener

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
dirkules_41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,856

Re: Kristaps Porzingis will not be ready when the NBA season resumes on Dec. 22 

Post#2 » by dirkules_41 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:28 pm

We should mention that they're targeting Jan 1st for on court activities so it's not like he'll miss half a season either.
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Post#3 » by arkuo » Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:31 pm

It's all good. He'll be back in like 2 or 3 weeks after opening night. Luka should be able to hold it down for a week or two.
Darren
RealGM
And1: 823

Post#4 » by Darren » Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:37 pm

The injury seems more discouraging than people think. I wonder if the Mavs make KP available for top-2 pick.
dirkules_41
Lead Assistant

Post#5 » by dirkules_41 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:52 pm

Darren wrote:The injury seems more discouraging than people think. I wonder if the Mavs make KP available for top-2 pick.

It doesn't and no.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#6 » by HMFFL » Thu Dec 3, 2020 10:47 pm

Porzingis: Knee Rehab 'A Piece Of Cake'

Dallas Mavericks star Kristaps Porzingis says his knee rehab has been a relative 'piece of cake' - and he's not ruling out a return to the court ahead of coach Rick Carlisle's schedule

https://www.si.com/.amp-mavericks/nba/mavericks/news/dallas-mavs-porzingis-knee-rehab-a-piece-of-cake-and-hes-pushing-for-quick-return

BlueSan
Sixth Man
And1: 828

Post#7 » by BlueSan » Sat Dec 5, 2020 9:41 am

He wont see the court til February unless Dallas is in some serious Poo and needs every single win if they want to make the playoffs
dirkules_41
Lead Assistant

Post#8 » by dirkules_41 » Sat Dec 5, 2020 11:37 am

BlueSan wrote:He wont see the court til February unless Dallas is in some serious Poo and needs every single win if they want to make the playoffs

Highly doubt that. KP thinks he's ready for opening night. I can't see the medical/coaching staff sidelining him for a further 6 weeks than his own desire/estimation of his health.
BlueSan
Sixth Man

Post#9 » by BlueSan » Sat Dec 5, 2020 12:54 pm

Maybe mid January I dont think it will be earlier. Remember the knee saga the entire last year? Medical staff doesnt want to be blamed for messing up Dallas' season. So even when 100% they will wait 2 additional weeks just so no one can tell them they were not
Paija
Junior
And1: 305

Post#10 » by Paija » Sat Dec 5, 2020 1:55 pm

I read somewhere that initially they estimated that the season will start in February and were in no hurry - decided to wait a bit and see - maybe avoid the surgery. But of course once they did it in October, the estimated recovery of approx 3 months moves us to January. They will not rush, but February is VERY pessimistic prediction imo.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#11 » by HMFFL » Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:02 pm

Kristaps Porzingis (knee) progressed to some 5-on-0 at Friday's practice. 

He also did some non-contact defensive work according to coach Rick Carlisle. "He’s got a great vibe about how he’s feeling and how he’s progressing," Carlisle added. "There’s no timetable [for full clearance] yet. It’s going to be at least January, but there are a lot of good signs." By all accounts, Porzingis has crushed his rehab and we've heard some very optimistic things coming out of Dallas. Dwight Powell, Maxi Kleber and Dorian Finney-Smith will have expanded roles in the meantime, and preseason standout Josh Richardson will have more shots coming his way. 

SOURCE: Tim MacMahon

Dec 18, 2020, 3:42 PM ET

BlueSan
Sixth Man

Post#12 » by BlueSan » Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:43 am

At least January :D
01.01.2020 minimum late January more likely.
Which means 15 missed games or so = which is like 20% of the season
Apz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,979

Post#13 » by Apz » Sat Dec 19, 2020 6:33 pm

We will see. People act like teams telling the truth. Personally I listen more to KP himself, since that answer in the interview he gave wasnt programmed. Carlisle is a sneaky dude and there is lots of smoke and mirrors. I kinda get the feeling that the "at least" more means they hope they can hold him back til 1/1, but I actually think he will get a few mins in the third game
JD45
General Manager
And1: 261

Post#14 » by JD45 » Sun Dec 20, 2020 12:46 pm

The surgery itself is almost certainly fully healed now. Its probably a case of trying to make sure the overall knee (including all the soft tissue) is fully strengthened before putting it to the stress of an NBA game. It doesn't take much inactivity for atrophy, but it does take time to build it back. So while KP may feel perfectly fine, if the repaired knee is just a little bit weaker than the other he would be setting himself up for some other injury.
"Government is the great fiction through which everyone endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else"

Frederic Bastiat
Teffer10
Head Coach
And1: 845

Post#15 » by Teffer10 » Sun Dec 20, 2020 1:25 pm

JD45 wrote:The surgery itself is almost certainly fully healed now. Its probably a case of trying to make sure the overall knee (including all the soft tissue) is fully strengthened before putting it to the stress of an NBA game. It doesn't take much inactivity for atrophy, but it does take time to build it back. So while KP may feel perfectly fine, if the repaired knee is just a little bit weaker than the other he would be setting himself up for some other injury.

Honestly I think this will become the norm for KP if the Mavs don't address this properly.

Mavs need to do all they can to preserve him for critical games and POs. He is a unique player that should be managed in a unique and delicate manner, so the Mavs should put the proper pieces around him (similar as they did with adding TC and Matrix to Dirk) to mitigate the risk for injury.

KP has the skills to do a lot of the dirty work (rebounding and defense) but is also an integral part of our offense and can stretch the floor which is a Carlisle dream. That is one of the things that makes our offense so potent but it does come at the cost of putting KP's health and our overall success at risk.

Personally I think the Mavs should limit KP's role to something similar as Dirk. I'm concerned that KP's career will be over by the age of 28 or 29 if they don't. I suppose they are somewhat attempting that with Powell and DFS but those two are nowhere near the levels of TC and Matrix so KP will continue to have to make up the difference and will continue to get injured in one way or another in the process.
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Post#16 » by arkuo » Sun Dec 20, 2020 3:48 pm

Teffer10 wrote:
Personally I think the Mavs should limit KP's role to something similar as Dirk. I'm concerned that KP's career will be over by the age of 28 or 29 if they don't. I suppose they are somewhat attempting that with Powell and DFS but those two are nowhere near the levels of TC and Matrix so KP will continue to have to make up the difference and will continue to get injured in one way or another in the process.

+1

Mavs have to hire a PF to outsource the dirty work. They paid KP a max and that is to get buckets. Similar to Dirk, he will need to score 25 to 28ppg in his prime and hopefully we'll get a championship run or two during those years.

Jonathan Isaac makes a lot of sense. But his injury history is concerning. Even worse than KP.
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,000

Post#17 » by Mr B » Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:17 am

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Imon
Head Coach
And1: 6,263

Post#18 » by Imon » Wed Dec 23, 2020 2:26 pm

Encouraging to hear about KP's progress but I still don't feel like we're in the clear. His mysterious 10-game disappearance last season was very worrisome and we'd better hope not to see a repeat this season. The Mavs NEED KP playing well in order to reach their full potential.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#19 » by HMFFL » Wed Jan 6, 2021 9:19 pm

Tim MacMahon: Kristaps Porzingis won’t play vs. Nuggets tomorrow, but he’s nearing his season debut. Rick Carlisle: “In terms of a timetable, we’re not talking weeks. We’re talking some time in the next week, week and a half, if all things continue to go well.”

– via Twitter espn_macmahon

Bluelabel24
Junior
And1: 51

Post#20 » by Bluelabel24 » Sat Jan 9, 2021 9:42 am

Imon wrote:Encouraging to hear about KP's progress but I still don't feel like we're in the clear. His mysterious 10-game disappearance last season was very worrisome and we'd better hope not to see a repeat this season. The Mavs NEED KP playing well in order to reach their full potential.

Honestly i think his camp is going about it the wrong way.. my friend whos a pt made solid points regarding KP and his mindset that whats causing injuries is his added weight. he brought up pros and cons that made sense to me who has no background on medicine or physical training.

Pros
increase resistance
impact absorption
muscles could regenerate faster
(for example if he gets hit hard it could take him 3-4days to heal from a little sore but with the right amount of muscle that could be 1-2days)
cons
risk of injury
belief that it would limit his athleticism
he thinks that KP should add 8-12lbs of lower body,leg,core, lower back strength to withstand a grueling nba season especially the playoffs)

Here is what he should immediately fix.. his landing mechanics.. here are some videos and focus on the knees. for those who have time i suggest you watch both lol..

Return to Dallas Mavericks