ImageImageImage

2020 NBA Draft Prospect Watch - Revised Poll

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

Who do you prefer of the following prospects?

Desmond Bane
41%
Saddiq Bey
3%
RJ Hampton
3%
Kira Lewis Jr
14%
Tyrese Maxey
7%
Aaron Nesmith
7%
Isaac Okoro
3%
Jalen Smith
7%
Tyrell Terry
7%
Patrick Williams
7%

Total votes: 29

Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets
And1: 6,441

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Prospect Watch 

Post#2461 » by Ghost of Kleine » Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:39 pm

Spoiler:
uote="Kerrsed"]
Ghost of Kleine wrote:Currently the only thing that could possibly derail any plans for trading with Boston would be if Atlanta really does like Hayward enough to accept Bostons' proposal of the 6th pick for Hayward/ 14? 26? Either way, Perhaps we could still trade the 10th pick to Atlanta at that point for the 24 and 26. Or as you mentioned, The 10th pick for the Hart/ 13/ 39th pick?
Then fill out our roster depth with low cost rookie scale contracts?
13- Bane.
39- Xavier Tillman or Paul Reed or Reggie Perry? :dontknow:

Nah, Atlanta isnt the only threat. Detroit/NY/Washington could see that the players they were hoping would be there are gone and decide that Boston's package of picks are worth more than just a single player that they arnt enamored with.

And if we did the NO trade, i doubt they would throw in the 2nd round pick, because we would be straight stealing Hart for NO to only move up 3 spots. And if we got Hart i think we choose Bey over Banes. Let me clarify, i think Bey over Banes will be the choice no matter what, but also Hart is a SG/SF. (Little undersized at 6'5 for a SF, but he can play there if need be). Dont see them grabbing Banes who is the same size and would be playing the same exact role. Bey on the other hand is a good 6'8 and is mostly a SF that can also cover PF if need be.[/quote]

My bad man! I forgot about Detroit! They definitely would/ should want the Boston deal for more picks, And can easily take some salary back for all of their picks if they so choose. New York I see wanting to move up if at all possible, But you could be right on them folding for additional picks too, Why because they're the Knicks! :lol: Washington perhaps too, But the consensus of rumors have mentioned them greatly coveting BOTH Okungwu and Wiseman, But being unwilling to part with Beal in a deal to move up! So they may indeed decide to move back IF they settle for other bugs in Achiuwa or Jalen Smith, Who is a hometown sell for their fans. Also he's pretty solid defensively and the better overall offensive player ( shooter) than both Wiseman and Okungwu.

Also, I hear you on New Orleans, With Hart being much more valuable than Okobo ( really though, Who isn't at this point)? But I was pondering mostly using the 10 move up from the 13 as the value exchange for Hart ( With Hart Bridging the value) gap in the deal, But of course we'd need to add a modicum of value to even it out more. Maybe that's Okobo and Kaminsky ( give them another cheap floor spacing big on an expiring)? Maybe that's Okobo/ Kaminsky and two future ( conditional) 2nds? :dontknow:

As for the 2nd round pick, I'm not sure they'd really haggle over that, As they just acquired a boatload of picks from Milwaukee in the Holiday deal ( * in addition to all of the Lakers picks they still have too).And also currently still have like 4 picks ( post trade) in this draft already. And they're also sitting on a ton of cap space too. So I just figured that they don't really need the 39th pick as much for value.........Right??? :dontknow:

As for Bane and Hart playing at the same position, I can definitely see ( and agree with) what you're saying, As Hart is 2nd on their depth chart for SF. But even though they're both good defenders, I see Bane as ultimately being the better shooter long term, And would prefer the elite shooting in the backcourt with Booker and Paul. BUT, In the grand scheme of things, I also see them really as being really interchangeable at the 2/3 situationally. And even though you're also very likely right, As you're the master of all things trade! :bowdown: I for my preference would just prefer a more elite shotblocking versatile and highly switchable disruptive big man in our frontcourt to give us that elite defensive compliment behind Cam, And next to Saric. Who for all his effort and tenacity and heart, Is still slow, plodding, and unfortunately couldn't jump over a paperclip to challenge athletic bigs at/ around the rim.

Now I wouldn't be at all upset IF the Suns took Saddiq though, As he absolutely is an elite shooter/ floor spacer with size at 6'8. And I do realize he's a fairly versatile smart defender too. But his lack of lateral burst and recovery does concern me a bit. So IF we did take him at 10, I'd still prefer to trade back for an additional pick to add a long athletic, multipositional rim protector too. Either of Tyler Bey or Paul Reed specifically. Or if in the later 2nd round, Either Josh Hall or Freddie Gillsepi on a two way?
** Side note, Having two Beys would be kind of Cool. One offering elite shooting/ offense. And the other offering elite ( Mikail Bridges) type disruptive defense. But also high level rim protection. I just want to address our most pressing issues via draft with low cost controlled contracts. With respect to our cap situation post Paul trade. I want us to be an elite team on both sides of the ball. Developing into a two way juggernaut! :wink:

And have in place the foundation for a potential dynasty, As both , Curry, Klay, Durant, etc. Begin their decline. A changing of the guard basically? :dontknow:
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,660

Re: The 2020 NBA Draft 

Post#2462 » by WeekapaugGroove » Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:44 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:They probably take someone like Vassell, Bey, or Bane.

But my out of no where if Jones shocks us tonight prediction is RJ Hampton.

He's a great athlete who's supposedly has improved his J since last season. I've listened to him on a couple interviews and I've been very impressed with his attitude and maturity, seems like the type of person Jones and crew would like. Added wild card Jones former teammate Mike Miller has been personally working with RJ so Jones should have a good feel for him. Would be a big swing type pick but if you don't feel like you'll be picking high in the near future and also plan to sign vets for immediate help taking a high upside combo guard could make some sense.

Sent from my SM-G986U using RealGM mobile app

This guy likes him, as well as your man Okongwu. viewtopic.php?f=38&t=1860381#p76764321 Though his track record of bigs hasn't been the best. He had Bamba #1, Bol Bol #1, and then thought Zion would easily be the best player in the NBA, better than Doncic, etc. Of course everyone was high on Zion, but this guy was higher than anyone by far it seemed...even well into the season.

I asked him why he liked Hampton so much on page 3.

He is VERY opinionated..if you've seen him post on any board, you'd know. He's been banned from almost every board in the past and currently only is not banned on the draft board (and recently got reinstated on CA)....so people should refrain from arguments with him.
Interesting. I wasn't in on RJ at all until I listened to him and Mike Miller on Russillos pod then checked him out on some other interviews. Just a really impressive young man. There was a really nice mix of confidence but also self awareness of what he needs to do to get better. He didn't skip college because he didn't have the grades and he chose a team where he knew he wouldn't be a focal point because he wanted to play against men and learn to play as a role player because that could help him transition better to the NBA faster. You combine his athletic ability with a good attitude and willingness to learn and you might have something.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#2463 » by Ghost of Kleine » Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:54 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:
Read on Twitter

If he slides to 10 I'd personally take him because I think he's a top talent.

Unfortunately though, He really has no chance to fall past the Wizards at 9. Because they covet him immensely, And have tried to trade up for him, But couldn't find any interest, as they were unwilling to give up Beal. But they really want him bad.
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#2464 » by Ghost of Kleine » Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:07 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:
BobbieL wrote:IF at 10 - would like Toppin - don't see him being there. So the best player - not a project though. I want them to have some skills.

I think the Suns will trade back. I know I bring up Tucker but maybe not Tucker - just a trade back and another veteran type player. I can see Frank and possibly Diallo or Okobo a part of the deal.
From what I've seen there's no chance Obi gets past NY and they might be trying to jump Cleveland to make sure they get him.

I have some concerns with him but I absolutely love his fit in NY. Thibs would be good for him and I think hes the type that has to be a top offensive option on a team to get the best value out of him and NY is a place where he can be that. I also think Robinson could be a good fit next to him.

And he's a Brooklyn kid that has ties through Leon Rose through CAA!
https://www.google.com/amp/s/empiresportsmedia.com/new-york-knicks/knicks-draft-watch-theres-no-stoppin-obi-toppin/amp/

But while it’s true that Toppin hasn’t met Rose before the Knicks zoom call, Rose’s imprint is all over Toppin’s draft preparations.

Sam Rose is the son of Leon. Curiously, Toppin opted to station his training camp in Cherry Hills, South Jersey, Leon’s bailiwick.

Toppin has been training under Rick Brunson, Leon’s first NBA client. And he’s been hitting the Peak Skills gym and lifting weights in Adrenaline Sports Performance, which is co-owned by another former Leon’s client, Dajuan Wagner. Leon is a family friend of the Wagners even before he became the head of CAA basketball. Leon used to play against Dajuan’s father, Milt, in Camden. Rose’s senior advisor William Wesley, Milt’s best friend, is Dajuan’s godfather.

When Toppin signed with CAA, his brother Jacob transferred to Kentucky from Rhode Island to play under John Calipari, a CAA client and a known close ally of Rose and Wesley.

Those intertwined connections make Toppin a real possibility for the Knicks, whether at No. 8 or via Draft Day trade.
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,798

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Prospect Watch - Revised Poll 

Post#2465 » by Saberestar » Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:17 pm

Toppin at #10 would be crazy good.
darmani
Sixth Man
And1: 2,728

Post#2466 » by darmani » Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:04 pm

Toppin is slower laterally than tectonic plates. Poor man's Drew Gooden.
"Can’t talk basketball with everybody" - Devin Booker
Djedefre
Senior
And1: 638

Post#2467 » by Djedefre » Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:09 pm

I strongly believe Okoro is a fraud. Wouldn't touch him in any case/scenario. Vassell, Bey, Lewis, Terry... no problemo. Bane in the late teens is passable, but anything earlier is a big no. Nesmith, no thank you, not so eager to take on that gamble at this point.
BobbieL
RealGM
And1: 6,785

Post#2468 » by BobbieL » Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:17 pm

Kellan Olson thinks the Suns like Saddiq Bey
matt131
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,758

Post#2469 » by matt131 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:22 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=19

Kevin o'connor has the suns with Vassell now in his updated mock
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Prospect Watch 

Post#2470 » by Ghost of Kleine » Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:25 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:
Read on Twitter

If he slides to 10 I'd personally take him because I think he's a top talent.

Not for me...please not another C in today's NBA. At least Ayton can switch.

Okongwu is big, strictly a C into today's NBA, a great shot blocker, and solid finisher inside, but can't shoot outside of limited range, especially from 3, can't switch...just too limited, and we have a C who should play 35 mpg.

It's not like he'd be a guy slipping way out of range..he's projected at like 9, and with the injury that's a red flag. Don't think we'd take him anyway.

These wings and guards in today's NBA are more important, Should have learned this over the last few years, taking Ayton over Doncic and seeing the other bigs in that draft not be too impressive (Bagley, Carter, Bamba, etc...JJJ pretty good but he can guard perimeter and is more of a perimeter big).

C's just not a premium today to use a lot of draft capital or money on.

I think the Bam comparisons are way off too since Bam is valuable because he has the defense, but also the great passing, and can play point C. Miami doesn't need a true PG because of Bam...he plays kind of the Draymond role.

I'm a little surprised you are so high on him, given we usually like some of the same prospects, like Isaac, I think maybe JJJ? And it also seems you have said you don't think spending a lot of money on a C is a good use of money...or do you want to play him next to Ayton?

I'd take him! Because I know that we could flip him to another team outside of the lottery (Boston) For :
Kaminsky/ Okobo ( Okungwu) for Theiss/ 14th and 26th picks.

Or to Sacramento for:
Option A- Kaminsky/ Okobo/ Diallo ( Okungwu) for Marvin Bagley ( To be our backup disruptive defensive 3-5 option)/ 12th pick/ 35th pick.
Option B-
Kaminsky/ Okobo/ Diallo ( Okungwu) for Bjelica/ 12/ 35th pick.

Or to San Antonio ( ** The Spurs really covet Okungwu):
( I really love this idea honestly)! ****
Kaminsky/ Diallo/ Okobo ( Okungwu) for Patty Mills/ 11th/ 41st picks.
Or
For Derrick White/ 11th /41st picks. I would consider Dejounte Murray even though his contract sucks. But only if they throw in their 2022 top 8 protected first). Otherwise, It'd have to be Mills or White with the 11th and 41st picks. :D

Or even to Dallas ( same package/ salary exchange) For Seth Curry/ WCS/ 18th/ 31st picks. :D
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#2471 » by Ghost of Kleine » Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:26 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=09
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,364

Post#2472 » by bwgood77 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:39 pm

A team passing on Toppin because of his defense would be similar to passing on a 42% 3 pt shooting, better passing Amare because of his defense. I know the Knicks complained about getting worked on the pick and roll and not being good defensively and I think D'Antoni wished he was a better defender. But his offensive skill set was so good, especially before getting injured it was crazy...I can't imagine if he could shoot 3s at a 42% clip and had great court vision and passing.
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#2473 » by Ghost of Kleine » Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:42 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20
matt131
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,758

Post#2474 » by matt131 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:49 pm

Ghost of Kleine wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20
I would say influence more so than control. Teams can draft whomever they like and no one in this draft is high profile enough to refuse to play for certain team
ImNotMcDiSwear
General Manager
And1: 6,087

Post#2475 » by ImNotMcDiSwear » Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:49 pm

BobbieL wrote:Kellan Olson thinks the Suns like Saddiq Bey

Then for sure we should trade back. Bey does not stand out among all these wings. To me, both Beys, Bane, Nesmith, and even Okoro are pretty comparable. Vassell's ahead, but maybe not by all that much considering his closest comp to my eye is Bridges.

I would be super-excited if we were looking at grabbing two players instead of one, because I like these bigs: Precious, Jalen Smith, Paul Reed, Pokusevski. I could probably be convinced to give a few others a chance, as well.

I'd love to get two rooks and put them on our third string. Fill out most of the second unit with vets attracted to what we're building here.

But I can see why we might wait until draft night to entertain such plans. We're well-positioned to snatch up anyone who drops.
DirtyDez
Suns Forum College Scout
And1: 6,310

Post#2476 » by DirtyDez » Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:01 pm

bwgood77 wrote:A team passing on Toppin because of his defense would be similar to passing on a 42% 3 pt shooting, better passing Amare because of his defense. I know the Knicks complained about getting worked on the pick and roll and not being good defensively and I think D'Antoni wished he was a better defender. But his offensive skill set was so good, especially before getting injured it was crazy...I can't imagine if he could shoot 3s at a 42% clip and had great court vision and passing.

Topppin won’t look as explosive in the NBA as he did in college. His athleticism reminds me of Derrick Williams who looked like Blake Griffin in college. He’s not an elite athlete everything considered.
fromthetop321 wrote:I got Lebron number 1, he is also leading defensive player of the year. Curry's game still reminds me of Jeremy Lin to much.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#2477 » by bwgood77 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:07 pm

matt131 wrote:
Ghost of Kleine wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20
I would say influence more so than control. Teams can draft whomever they like and no one in this draft is high profile enough to refuse to play for certain team

Yeah, 95% of these guys want to go as high as possible because it's a big difference in money. It may not seem like a lot, but even if it's only $100K difference between 2 picks (and it's probably more), that's still quite a bit of money out of college.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#2478 » by bwgood77 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:08 pm

ImNotMcDiSwear wrote:

Then for sure we should trade back. Bey does not stand out among all these wings. To me, both Beys, Bane, Nesmith, and even Okoro are pretty comparable. Vassell's ahead, but maybe not by all that much considering his closest comp to my eye is Bridges.

I would be super-excited if we were looking at grabbing two players instead of one, because I like these bigs: Precious, Jalen Smith, Paul Reed, Pokusevski. I could probably be convinced to give a few others a chance, as well.

I'd love to get two rooks and put them on our third string. Fill out most of the second unit with vets attracted to what we're building here.

But I can see why we might wait until draft night to entertain such plans. We're well-positioned to snatch up anyone who drops.

I don't think a guy like Okoro and a guy like Nesmith are comparable at all, unless you just mean equally valued in your mind in the draft.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,660

Post#2479 » by WeekapaugGroove » Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:09 pm

Sure, he definitely seems like a Jones kind of guy. Wouldn't be the most exciting pick but wouldn't be a bad pick because guys like him tend to be useful nba players.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,798

Post#2480 » by Saberestar » Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:14 pm

Vassell makes a lot of sense for us.

With Oubre out we need a wing and he probably is BPA at #10 too.

Return to Phoenix Suns