“Lamelo is the Best High School Player in USA”

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

UnFadeable21
Veteran
And1: 837

Re: “Lamelo is the Best High School Player in USA” 

Post#41 » by UnFadeable21 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:16 am

Krapinsky wrote:
UnFadeable21 wrote:Dream scenario would be to draft Lamelo at 1.

Trade 17 and Culver to get back in the top 10

Draft Onyeka Okongwu

Lamelo
DLo
Layman
Okongwu
KAT

Wow! That would be something!

Big Layman fan I see.

Lamelo and Okongwu are my two favorite players in the draft, so wouldn't mind this at all.

I like his size, 6'9 in shoes. He can play without the ball and the 5th guy in this starting line up is going to have to learn how to play without the ball so that means running the floor and cutting to the rim. He's low ego and has decent skills. His biggest issue has been his durability.
UnFadeable21
Veteran

Post#42 » by UnFadeable21 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:18 am

New ESPN Pre-Draft Show Tonight

Lamelo interview with Jalen Rose. Woj and Bobby Mark's discuss Lamelo's transition to the NBA. Mike Scmitdz breaks down the differences between Lamelo and Lonzo.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,790

Post#43 » by KGdaBom » Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:22 am

I'm well known for not wanting us to draft Ball, but if we do and somehow we get say the Hawks pick and draft Okongwu that would I bet be the first time ever two HS players from the same team were drafted in the same year by the same team.
Baseline81
Starter
And1: 1,259

Post#44 » by Baseline81 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:24 pm

Read on Twitter
Slim Tubby
Starter
And1: 1,762

Post#45 » by Slim Tubby » Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:34 pm

Baseline81 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Hummel is getting a Christmas Card this year because he has the balls to call it like he sees it, unilke these other "expert" clowns, who never played the game at a high level, trying to promote their network's agenda or more hits to their web site,
Glen Taylor: "Is this moron #1 (Layden)? Put moron #2 (Thibs) on the phone."
Shaka_Zulu
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,652

Post#46 » by Shaka_Zulu » Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:41 pm

He is preaching to the choir here.

The biggiest red flags about Lamelo all along are exactly what he highlighted, lack of or inability to shoot, and attitude issue or questionable decision making in the harebrained inefficient shots he takes despite it. His playmaking and handling is dependable high level skills. But the rest just scream what to do with this, how to coach him to break these low BBall iq habits and improve the glaring holes in his game.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,827

Post#47 » by Klomp » Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:45 pm

Shaka_Zulu wrote:His playmaking and handling is dependable high level skills. But the rest just scream what to do with this, how to coach him to break these low BBall iq habits and improve the glaring holes in his game.

That's why NBA teams have coaches.....to help these young players improve. If Rosas and staff draft him, clearly they probably have a plan on how to help Ball improve in those areas.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
UnFadeable21
Veteran

Post#48 » by UnFadeable21 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:46 pm

Robbie Hummel sounds like old man yelling at the clouds.

The Athletic did an interview with 20 people who met Lamelo when he was at aspire Academy and he had zero red Flags or issues.
UnFadeable21
Veteran

Post#49 » by UnFadeable21 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:47 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21
Baseline81
Starter

Post#50 » by Baseline81 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:51 pm

UnFadeable21 wrote:Robbie Hummel sounds like old man yelling at the clouds.

The Athletic did an interview with 20 people who met Lamelo when he was at aspire Academy and he had zero red Flags or issues.

Really, not one red flag or issues. How about his father...
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#51 » by Klomp » Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:56 pm

Baseline81 wrote:

So his one red flag doesn't actually have to do with him....got it.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

UnFadeable21
Veteran

Post#52 » by UnFadeable21 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:02 pm

Baseline81 wrote:

The teenagers LaMelo met, whether they were his uber talented teammates at SPIRE, or the students from Ohio’s suburbs, its farms or its big Catholic institutions, they all got to touch fame.

In interviews with about 20 teammates, a few coaches and academy officials from SPIRE, as well as administrators, players, opponents and fans from the schools LaMelo played against in Ohio, The Athletic learned that he was routinely humble, approachable and otherwise not at all like who they thought he would be, based on what they’d seen and heard online.

“He was an exceptionally polite individual,” Orloff said. “Without any question, every single time I saw him he would stop what he was doing, come over, ask me how my day was, whatever. This is the kind of kid he was.”

“You pick up vibes about people,” said Carrington McCaskill, a SPIRE teammate. “He was a cool dude. Stuff you saw that was online, some stuff could probably be judgment. Me actually meeting him, he was cool.”

“I didn’t think he would be that humble, he was real humble, you know,” said Josaphat Bilaut, another SPIRE teammate.

“I feel like his whole life has been crazy, so just for him to come to SPIRE and be in Geneva, Ohio, a small city, a small town, he could just chill and be a kid,” Watts said. “When he was overseas, he was playing with grown men, it was just too much on him and stuff like that. I feel like SPIRE did give him a lot of rest.”

I’ve been schooling you a lot this last few days.

Lavar doesn’t play on the court. Lamelo isn’t tied to BBB. He is signed with Puma. Not worried about his dad. When his own teammates and coaches said he is okay, I’ll go with them.
Baseline81
Starter

Post#53 » by Baseline81 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:03 pm

UnFadeable21 wrote:I’ve been schooling you a lot this last few days.

What?
Baseline81
Starter

Post#54 » by Baseline81 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:06 pm

Klomp wrote:So his one red flag doesn't actually have to do with him....got it.

One not related to him but directly involves him is his 3-point shooting.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#55 » by Klomp » Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:09 pm

Baseline81 wrote:

That's not a red flag. I view red flags as character flaws or legal issues or injury concerns, things like that. Poor shooting is a weakness that can be improved over time.

KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#56 » by KGdaBom » Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:10 pm

UnFadeable21 wrote:
Baseline81 wrote:

The teenagers LaMelo met, whether they were his uber talented teammates at SPIRE, or the students from Ohio’s suburbs, its farms or its big Catholic institutions, they all got to touch fame.

In interviews with about 20 teammates, a few coaches and academy officials from SPIRE, as well as administrators, players, opponents and fans from the schools LaMelo played against in Ohio, The Athletic learned that he was routinely humble, approachable and otherwise not at all like who they thought he would be, based on what they’d seen and heard online.

“He was an exceptionally polite individual,” Orloff said. “Without any question, every single time I saw him he would stop what he was doing, come over, ask me how my day was, whatever. This is the kind of kid he was.”

“You pick up vibes about people,” said Carrington McCaskill, a SPIRE teammate. “He was a cool dude. Stuff you saw that was online, some stuff could probably be judgment. Me actually meeting him, he was cool.”

“I didn’t think he would be that humble, he was real humble, you know,” said Josaphat Bilaut, another SPIRE teammate.

“I feel like his whole life has been crazy, so just for him to come to SPIRE and be in Geneva, Ohio, a small city, a small town, he could just chill and be a kid,” Watts said. “When he was overseas, he was playing with grown men, it was just too much on him and stuff like that. I feel like SPIRE did give him a lot of rest.”

I’ve been schooling you a lot this last few days.

Lavar doesn’t play on the court. Lamelo isn’t tied to BBB. He is signed with Puma. Not worried about his dad. When his own teammates and coaches said he is okay, I’ll go with them.

This I agree with. The problem is he sucks at the game of basketball.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#57 » by KGdaBom » Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:12 pm

Klomp wrote:
Baseline81 wrote:

That's not a red flag. I view red flags as character flaws or legal issues or injury concerns, things like that. Poor shooting is a weakness that can be improved over time.

Klomp the thing with Ball is I truly believe he learned his shot at 2 years old and it is just too engrained in him to ever be fixed. You seem to think he can improve on it and I just flat out don't.
UnFadeable21
Veteran

Post#58 » by UnFadeable21 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:14 pm

Baseline81 wrote:

Lamelo shot 28% from 3.

Guess what, Anthony Edwards shot 29% from 3

Give me the guy who loves basketball any day over the guy who wants to play in the NFL and his goal is to become a rapper.

:lol:
Baseline81
Starter

Post#59 » by Baseline81 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:16 pm

Klomp wrote:That's not a red flag. I view red flags as character flaws or legal issues or injury concerns, things like that. Poor shooting is a weakness that can be improved over time.

It can be improved, but many times it does not.

How many times have Minnesota fans said Rubio will improve his shooting each offseason? The example given in reply is Jason Kidd. It never happened for him. I'm not saying Ball will end up like Rubio, but if you don't consider it a red flag, it's at least a HUGE weakness in this day and age of the NBA.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#60 » by Klomp » Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:20 pm

Baseline81 wrote:
Klomp wrote:That's not a red flag. I view red flags as character flaws or legal issues or injury concerns, things like that. Poor shooting is a weakness that can be improved over time.

It can be improved, but many times it does not.

How many times have Minnesota fans said Rubio will improve his shooting each offseason? The example given in reply is Jason Kidd. It never happened for him. I'm not saying Ball will end up like Rubio, but if you don't consider it a red flag, it's at least a HUGE weakness in this day and age of the NBA.

A huge weakness that Anthony Edwards has as well.

I'm willing to put my faith in Ball improving. I'm willing to put my faith in Edwards improving. It's up to them to put in the work.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves