ImageImageImage

“Lamelo is the Best High School Player in USA”

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Baseline81
Starter
And1: 1,247

Re: “Lamelo is the Best High School Player in USA” 

Post#61 » by Baseline81 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:21 pm

UnFadeable21 wrote:Lamelo shot 28% from 3.

Guess what, Anthony Edwards shot 29% from 3

Give me the guy who loves basketball any day over the guy who wants to play in the NFL and his goal is to become a rapper.

:lol:

He shot 25% on nearly 7 3PA per game with Illawarra.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/international/players/lamelo-ball-1.html

Additionally, I'm not sure why you're bringing Edwards into this when many posters have flagged Edwards as a poor shooter. You're admitting Ball is by relation. The stats show he's worse than Edwards.

I have said this in other threads, but I have convinced myself than any of the top-3 prospects are worth the gamble for the Wolves. It's not like I will be livid if Rosas selects him.
urinesane
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,882

Post#62 » by urinesane » Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:32 pm

UnFadeable21 wrote:
Baseline81 wrote:
Klomp wrote:So his one red flag doesn't actually have to do with him....got it.

One not related to him but directly involves him is his 3-point shooting.

Lamelo shot 28% from 3.

Give me the guy who loves basketball any day over the guy who wants to play in the NFL and his goal is to become a rapper.

I bet Wiseman could shoot 29% from 3.
Shaka_Zulu
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,581

Post#63 » by Shaka_Zulu » Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:49 pm

Klomp wrote:
Baseline81 wrote:
UnFadeable21 wrote:Robbie Hummel sounds like old man yelling at the clouds.

The Athletic did an interview with 20 people who met Lamelo when he was at aspire Academy and he had zero red Flags or issues.

Really, not one red flag or issues. How about his father...

So his one red flag doesn't actually have to do with him....got it.
His shooting in general is big red flag, a point guard that isn't shooting well is huge flaw for any team. As we learned with Rubio.

But yeah everything else I can kinda overlook, the defensive weakness might be overstated and improved on with right attitude and commitment. Similar with the bone headed shot selection habits. But if you cant shoot anything close to average efficiency or not be that good attacking the rim. Then all the flashy nice handles and excellent playmaking won't mean much anymore.

And I know what you will say "his shooting can be improved on". That's true, but odds are it won't. Usually non shooters/broken form players don't become good shooters sadly.
Shaka_Zulu
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,581

Post#64 » by Shaka_Zulu » Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:51 pm

UnFadeable21 wrote:I’ve been schooling you a lot this last few days.

Go to bed kid.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,661

Post#65 » by KGdaBom » Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:55 pm

UnFadeable21 wrote:
Baseline81 wrote:
Klomp wrote:So his one red flag doesn't actually have to do with him....got it.

One not related to him but directly involves him is his 3-point shooting.

Lamelo shot 28% from 3.

25%
urinesane
Lead Assistant

Post#66 » by urinesane » Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:03 pm

Also, James Wiseman was the Best High School Player in USA, LaMelo didn't even graduate high school...
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 26,695

Post#67 » by Domejandro » Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:20 pm

Just as a comment, I typically merge threads, but this could have for in the Draft thread.
King Malta
Starter
And1: 1,547

Post#68 » by King Malta » Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:25 pm

As someone who's been critical of Ball I don't think his red flags are off the court, to be fair to him everything I've seen/heard points to that area not really being a substantial issue. Despite their insane father, Lonzo and Lamelo seem like decent enough kids.

I just can't get past the non-existent defense or the woeful 3 point shooting and broken jumper.
urinesane
Lead Assistant

Post#69 » by urinesane » Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:14 pm

How awesome was the karma of him having that fancy #1 on his back, probably ready to do a ton of branding around it (along with jersey #) and goes 3rd?

That gave me a nice chuckle last night.
Baseline81
Starter
And1: 1,247

Post#70 » by Baseline81 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:24 pm

urinesane wrote:How awesome was the karma of him having that fancy #1 on his back, probably ready to do a ton of branding around it (along with jersey #) and goes 3rd?

Do you think he'll wear no. 1 or 3 on his jersey? He said that's the reason why Lonzo chose no. 2.
urinesane
Lead Assistant

Post#71 » by urinesane » Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:35 pm

Baseline81 wrote:
urinesane wrote:How awesome was the karma of him having that fancy #1 on his back, probably ready to do a ton of branding around it (along with jersey #) and goes 3rd?

Do you think he'll wear no. 1 or 3 on his jersey? He said that's the reason why Lonzo chose no. 2.

Depends on how much merch he already paid for with that ugly logo on it I suppose...
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#72 » by Jedzz » Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:03 pm

King Malta wrote:As someone who's been critical of Ball I don't think his red flags are off the court, to be fair to him everything I've seen/heard points to that area not really being a substantial issue. Despite their insane father, Lonzo and Lamelo seem like decent enough kids.

I just can't get past the non-existent defense or the woeful 3 point shooting and broken jumper.

Plenty of people talking today with opinions about someone like Haliburton as the actual best guard of the draft. One guy on nba radio saying he was deemed the "safe" guy and buzz terms like that end up hurting players. Because he showed he was good at too many things already it somehow hurts him. They talk now about he dropped into steal of the draft territory. I freaking hate examples like this and makes me want to crumble the draft process up into a paper ball and stomp on it for good.

Then you have examples like Ball and Edwards with unrefined, possibly unrefinable skill levels, but they have grown up physically faster and people equate this to what exactly, that there is more room for skill growth yet? It's a sad rhetoric. Hopefully they can both become good players.

How about the plethora of examples of kooky looking young draftees of the past. Durant twigs, Steph teeny weenies, remember KG?, Kobe. Sure, we draft underdeveloped guys all the time and they don't work out. It's nice to know Edwards has that already primed for him. But that in itself just isn't enough. I want pro level skills or else I just don't want to watch it anymore. I can head to a high school and watch kids slopping ball. That's not what we are paying for and that's not what competes in teh playoffs of this league. Refined skills do, and if a college kid happens to already have high level skills imagine how they could become even better yet or more consistent yet or how it allows them to focus on any weaknesses they do have. Instead of having to focus on basic skills required to win games, like shooting.
King Malta
Starter
And1: 1,547

Post#73 » by King Malta » Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:39 am

Jedzz wrote:
King Malta wrote:As someone who's been critical of Ball I don't think his red flags are off the court, to be fair to him everything I've seen/heard points to that area not really being a substantial issue. Despite their insane father, Lonzo and Lamelo seem like decent enough kids.

Plenty of people talking today with opinions about someone like Haliburton as the actual best guard of the draft. One guy on nba radio saying he was deemed the "safe" guy and buzz terms like that end up hurting players. Because he showed he was good at too many things already it somehow hurts him. They talk now about he dropped into steal of the draft territory. I freaking hate examples like this and makes me want to crumble the draft process up into a paper ball and stomp on it for good.

Then you have examples like Ball and Edwards with unrefined, possibly unrefinable skill levels, but they have grown up physically faster and people equate this to what exactly, that there is more room for skill growth yet? It's a sad rhetoric. Hopefully they can both become good players.

How about the plethora of examples of kooky looking young draftees of the past. Durant twigs, Steph teeny weenies, remember KG?, Kobe. Sure, we draft underdeveloped guys all the time and they don't work out. It's nice to know Edwards has that already primed for him. But that in itself just isn't enough. I want pro level skills or else I just don't want to watch it anymore. I can head to a high school and watch kids slopping ball. That's not what we are paying for and that's not what competes in teh playoffs of this league. Refined skills do, and if a college kid happens to already have high level skills imagine how they could become even better yet or more consistent yet or how it allows them to focus on any weaknesses they do have. Instead of having to focus on basic skills required to win games, like shooting.

I think there's a little bit of revisionism with Haliburton tbh.

Don't get me wrong, I really liked him pre-draft too, his potential to be a high level 3 and D guard is tasty. It's not like there were no issues with him though. I heard concerns over a lack of dribble, a slow release and little ability to get to the ring. Haliburton projects to me as someone who could be a high level role player, like a Robert Covington. Now clearly, that kind of player is really valuable, but I think that when you're picking at the highest point of the draft then the goal is more to swing for the fences and bring in a guy who's ceiling is higher than that sort of player.

I don't disagree with you to be honest, there's an overall increased focus on athleticism in not only basketball but a lot of other pro sports. However, I still think team situation plays into this somewhat too. A lot of teams at our end of the draft badly need a superstar player and as such are often going to look at the higher risk/higher reward style guys above your more low ceiling/high floor types.
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#74 » by Jedzz » Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:11 am

King Malta wrote:
Jedzz wrote:

I think there's a little bit of revisionism with Haliburton tbh.

Don't get me wrong, I really liked him pre-draft too, his potential to be a high level 3 and D guard is tasty. It's not like there were no issues with him though. I heard concerns over a lack of dribble, a slow release and little ability to get to the ring. Haliburton projects to me as someone who could be a high level role player, like a Robert Covington. Now clearly, that kind of player is really valuable, but I think that when you're picking at the highest point of the draft then the goal is more to swing for the fences and bring in a guy who's ceiling is higher than that sort of player.

I don't disagree with you to be honest, there's an overall increased focus on athleticism in not only basketball but a lot of other pro sports. However, I still think team situation plays into this somewhat too. A lot of teams at our end of the draft badly need a superstar player and as such are often going to look at the higher risk/higher reward style guys above your more low ceiling/high floor types.

The last two sentences of your paragraphs really ring, not really true to me, but the reality of the people involved in this process. You gave an example of a Covington as a role player ceiling. For him, undrafted, to be the guy having multiple draft picks and players being sent out all over the league for his services the past three seasons. He's been doing it that well since the start, he didn't need 5 years to learn how. 7 years of producing now.
UnFadeable21
Veteran
And1: 835

Post#75 » by UnFadeable21 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:50 pm

ESPN Givony said on Lowe Post: D’Angelo didn’t want to play with Lamelo so wolves passed on him to keep him and KAT happy.

DLo still mad Lakers traded him for Lonzo.
urinesane
Lead Assistant

Post#76 » by urinesane » Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:55 pm

UnFadeable21 wrote:ESPN Givony said on Lowe Post: D’Angelo didn’t want to play with Lamelo so wolves passed on him to keep him and KAT happy.

Or he knew that Ball wouldn't help them win and was mostly hype.
jpatrick
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,588

Post#77 » by jpatrick » Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:56 pm

UnFadeable21 wrote:ESPN Givony said on Lowe Post: D’Angelo didn’t want to play with Lamelo so wolves passed on him to keep him and KAT happy.

I’m sure Russell didn’t want us to take Ball #1. He sees himself as the teams main PG. That changes if we take a ball dominant PG with the #1 pick. However, I hope that wouldn’t sway Rosas’ decision if he thought Ball was the most talented player.

I’ve been on the Ball bandwagon this entire time. I hope passing on him isn’t a huge mistake. Me personally, if we could undo the Russell trade, get our pick for next year back, and take Ball, I would go that route.
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,678

Post#78 » by minimus » Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:02 pm

Can we merge all LaMelo/Wiseman related threads into draft prospect thread? Our board is such a mess rn
UnFadeable21
Veteran

Post#79 » by UnFadeable21 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:11 pm

urinesane wrote:

Or he knew that Ball wouldn't help them win and was mostly hype.

Just relaying what was said by Draft Express
UnFadeable21
Veteran

Post#80 » by UnFadeable21 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:16 pm

jpatrick wrote:

I’m sure Russell didn’t want us to take Ball #1. He sees himself as the teams main PG. That changes if we take a ball dominant PG with the #1 pick. However, I hope that wouldn’t sway Rosas’ decision if he thought Ball was the most talented player.

I’ve been on the Ball bandwagon this entire time. I hope passing on him isn’t a huge mistake. Me personally, if we could undo the Russell trade, get our pick for next year back, and take Ball, I would go that route.

Same, I hope it wasn’t a mistake to pass on him.

Wolves kept preaching take highest talent and not fit but in the end they took fit

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves