ImageImageImage

2020 NBA Draft Prospect Watch - Revised Poll

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

Who do you prefer of the following prospects?

Desmond Bane
41%
Saddiq Bey
3%
RJ Hampton
3%
Kira Lewis Jr
14%
Tyrese Maxey
7%
Aaron Nesmith
7%
Isaac Okoro
3%
Jalen Smith
7%
Tyrell Terry
7%
Patrick Williams
7%

Total votes: 29

bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,045

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Prospect Watch - Revised Poll 

Post#2481 » by bwgood77 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:17 pm

DirtyDez wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:A team passing on Toppin because of his defense would be similar to passing on a 42% 3 pt shooting, better passing Amare because of his defense. I know the Knicks complained about getting worked on the pick and roll and not being good defensively and I think D'Antoni wished he was a better defender. But his offensive skill set was so good, especially before getting injured it was crazy...I can't imagine if he could shoot 3s at a 42% clip and had great court vision and passing.

Topppin won’t look as explosive in the NBA as he did in college. His athleticism reminds me of Derrick Williams who looked like Blake Griffin in college. He’s not an elite athlete everything considered.

Yeah, I don't think he is as powerful as Amare, but he has more skills. I have used Blake as a comparison too...that's probably better..Obi doesn't have that athleticism either but they are both good passers and not great defenders. Obi a much better 3 pt shooter coming out though, and still if you are just looking at %s and not considering the longer distance.

Of course Amare won rookie of the year, going 9th, and Blake went 1st in the draft but I think was injured and won rookie of the year the next year iirc.

Derrick Williams is a weird example...he was an insane 3 pt shooter, but on fewer attempts and a fancy dunker, but didn't have nearly the all around game and wasn't as good of a defender.

Obi had a 90.3 DRTG and is a solid shot blocker and gets a steal a game...he just moves slow laterally, but it's something he likely improves on quite a bit given his athleticism. People have said he makes up for it on defense in other areas.

Amare was a terrible defender though with not nearly the offensive skill set the Obi has despite the better athleticism and more powerful dunks. They do both play the pick and roll well, but of course Amare also had Nash.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#2482 » by bwgood77 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:19 pm

Saberestar wrote:Vassell makes a lot of sense for us.

With Oubre out we need a wing and he probably is BPA at #10 too.

Yes, there is a good chance he is gone though. A lot of teams want a player like that.
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets
And1: 6,380

Post#2483 » by Ghost of Kleine » Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:22 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
matt131 wrote:
Ghost of Kleine wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20
I would say influence more so than control. Teams can draft whomever they like and no one in this draft is high profile enough to refuse to play for certain team

Yeah, 95% of these guys want to go as high as possible because it's a big difference in money. It may not seem like a lot, but even if it's only $100K difference between 2 picks (and it's probably more), that's still quite a bit of money out of college.

I absolutely agree man! :nod:
Waylay13
Rookie
And1: 904

Post#2484 » by Waylay13 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:37 pm

bwgood77 wrote:

Yes, there is a good chance he is gone though. A lot of teams want a player like that.

One of my concerns with Vassell is that I have heard that he is more 6'5" over 6'7" this will make him more of a 2/3 wing over a 3/4 wing. I love what he can bring to the table but most of the time at 2/3 is going to Booker and Bridges with C. Johnson backing up Bridges. We do have a hole at 3/4 with Kelly Oubre gone.

Just say no to idiots!!
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#2485 » by Ghost of Kleine » Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:38 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=09
It couldn't possibly be Haliburton, Or Hayes I'd wager? So who could it be, Vassell with the rumors of Detroit liking Patrick Williams at 7, New York liking Toppin at 8, And Washington preferring Okungwu at 9. I'd have to wager it's actually Vassell. Although Vassell would have likely gone to Golden State in a trade back if not for Avdija having a really good workout for them. :dontknow:
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#2486 » by bwgood77 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:42 pm

Ghost of Kleine wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=09
It couldn't possibly be Haliburton, Or Hayes I'd wager? So who could it be, Vassell with the rumors of Detroit liking Patrick Williams at 7, New York liking Toppin at 8, And Washington preferring Okungwu at 9. I'd have to wager it's actually Vassell. Although Vassell would have likely gone to Golden State in a trade back if not for Avdija having a really good workout for them. :dontknow:

No one knows who is going to drop. Teams get pissed off all the time because guys take prospects they want right before them.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#2487 » by bwgood77 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:45 pm

Waylay13 wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

One of my concerns with Vassell is that I have heard that he is more 6'5" over 6'7" this will make him more of a 2/3 wing over a 3/4 wing. I love what he can bring to the table but most of the time at 2/3 is going to Booker and Bridges with C. Johnson backing up Bridges. We do have a hole at 3/4 with Kelly Oubre gone.

True, but I think a backup 2 is probably a bigger priority. It might depend on FA and if we know who we are going to sign...if a PF, than the combo guard or 2/3 makes sense.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,657

Post#2488 » by WeekapaugGroove » Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:56 pm

My sources say the suns might move up or down or stay put. Fluid situation :)

Sent from my SM-G986U using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#2489 » by Ghost of Kleine » Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:57 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
Waylay13 wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

True, but I think a backup 2 is probably a bigger priority. It might depend on FA and if we know who we are going to sign...if a PF, than the combo guard or 2/3 makes sense.

You still gotta take him.I think with his defensive versatility, shooting, upside! Even if he only becomes a Matisse Thybulle with better shooting. That's still a very nice backcourt compliment. And you could probably still get Shaquille Harrison ( one of my favorite options) for around the veteran's minimum?
Add Rondae Hollis Jefferson as our 3rd defensive wing, And were elite defensively with our wing players.
Slim Charless
General Manager
And1: 6,101

Post#2490 » by Slim Charless » Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:03 pm

Ghost of Kleine wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=09

I'd be shocked if Haliburton made it past the knicks, tho Toppin makes sense for them too. Flex is making it seem is that its a major drop. Deni? He's the only guy that would be really shocking making it that far down to us. Ive seen Vassell snd Hayes at our range plenty of times on nbadraft.net, tankanthon and the ringer's mock drafts.
Djedefre
Senior
And1: 638

Post#2491 » by Djedefre » Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:09 pm

No way Obi drops to #10. NO WAY.
PHXDraft0358
Freshman
And1: 59

Post#2492 » by PHXDraft0358 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:19 pm

Obi Toppin, Tyrese Haliburton, Devin Vassell, or Kira Lewis Jr. would be ideal!! I don’t think I’ve ever seen Desmond Bane in a game sooo only got highlights to go by but could be my 5th option.

Being a U of A fan I Love Zeke Nnaji’s motor, rebounding ability, size, athleticism, etc. and he’s not getting much attention but I think he could play alongside Ayton in a big lineup while also being backup 5. Doubtful the Suns add another Pick but I think people are sleeping on him!!
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,657

Post#2493 » by WeekapaugGroove » Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:37 pm

Read on Twitter

Sent from my SM-G986U using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#2494 » by bwgood77 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:05 pm

If McD's info is correct, it could be that this is the info Flex had, and he's thinking we try to trade down to 18 or something if he's still there and take him..maybe with Dallas and we get DFS or Jalen Brunson or something.
Blonde
Veteran
And1: 3,723

Post#2495 » by Blonde » Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:07 pm

I’ve heard on a podcast that the Suns would covet Hayes if he dropped to them. Think it might have been Kevin Pelton but I can’t remember. That said, Gambo has info that we won’t take him and we don’t have any record that we interviewed or worked him out. I could see it being a smokescreen and we would run to the podium for Hayes if available. He’s got a small chance of being there at 10.

The Toppin hype is getting a little wild for me. I’d be cool with him at 10, and believe he will be solid, but don’t really see a path to him being a long term starter for this team. His offensive advantage making gets significantly overblown, and mobility/hip issues are real.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#2496 » by bwgood77 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:16 pm

Was there any talk about us interviewing Vassell?
Waylay13
Rookie
And1: 904

Post#2497 » by Waylay13 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:28 pm

Just say no to idiots!!
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#2498 » by Ghost of Kleine » Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:34 pm

Slim Charless wrote:
Ghost of Kleine wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=09

I'd be shocked if Haliburton made it past the knicks, tho Toppin makes sense for them too. Flex is making it seem is that its a major drop. Deni? He's the only guy that would be really shocking making it that far down to us. Ive seen Vassell snd Hayes at our range plenty of times on nbadraft.net, tankanthon and the ringer's mock drafts.

Oh I agree! Basically, As crazy and unpredictable as everything is turning out so far, I have the top 10 playing out this way:

1- Minnesota.
Anthony Edwards. The Wolves take Edwards for his immense two way upside after not finding a suitable trade partner. But will continue to listen to offers post draft.

2- Chicago. ( From Golden State).
La Melo Ball The bulls love the fit next to Lavine as a true facilitator and overall playmaker next to Lavine. Their willingness to release both of their backup guards in Dunn / Harrison, Further the notion of their interests in taking a guard. White will move to backup shooting guard. At 45, Expect them to draft a center. Azubuike or Richards seem like good bets.

3- Charlotte.
James Wiseman The Hornets Already have their backcourt set currently with Rozier and Graham. But they could really use more size in the frontcourt, And simply can't pass up on the opportunity to draft a franchise caliber center. Wiseman would be a big step in the right direction for the Hornets.

4- Golden State. ( from Chicago).
Deni Avdija The Warriors will take Deni Avdija here in the trade back, As they love his size, versatility, and experience ( pedigree). He'll slot in perfectly at the 3 between Thompson at the 2, and Green at the 4.

5- Cleveland.
Isaac Okoro The Cavs really wanted to move Love, And then draft Toppin to be his replacement. But with them not being able to move Love, And with them still having Nance too at the 4, They now opt to address their other glaring weaking on the wing. They would have preferred Avdija, but since he's already gone, They'll now draft Okoro to be there multipositional defensive wing of the future alongside their backcourt of Garland and Sexton.

6- Atlanta Hawks.
Tyreese Haliburton The Hawks luck out and get Haliburton here! There plan B being either Okoro or Vassell. But thing's broke there way this time. Which is why the reports are out that they now intend to keep their pick. In free agency, They'll overpay for Jerami Grant. And they'll be playoff bound.

7- Detroit.
Killian Hayes The Pistons really did covet Toppin, As did New York. But with him off the board, They'll go with the next best player available. Killian Hayes will give them a starting guard with franchise upside. Their New GM ( Troy Weaver) who is a former Thunder GM loves the Harden Comp too. :wink:

8- New York.
Obi Toppin The Knicks have finally found some luck, And have had the guy that they ( Leon Rose) covers. Toppin is very exciting with his vertical burst, size, passing and scoring efficiency. Most importantly, He's a Brooklyn kid with ties to Leon Rose and CAA through his agent, etc. They feel that Toppin would be a great fit next to Mitchell. They'll use their 23rd pick on Josh Green to be their 2 guard. Then they'll use their cap space to pursue Van Vleet ( even overpay) and call it a day.

9- Washington.
Oneyka Okungwu
The Wizards also broke lucky in this draft, To have their coveted big man fall to him because of a minor foot injury. They love the idea of Okungwu defensively alongside of Thomas Robinson in the frontcourt. Plan B for them was either Achiuwa or Smith. I would have personally gone with a wing. But no complaints here, As this now means............. :o

10- Phoenix Suns.
Devin Vassell
The Suns get the best overall versatile defensive wing in the entire draft. He's a perfect fit defensively next to Booker and Paul, And is also a very efficient shooter too. So no offense will be lost. Getting a potential Robert Covington/ Mikhail Bridges out of this draft is an easy win for the franchise.

*** Sign Augustine or Teague at around 6 million, Burks for 3 into our MLE. And then Nerlens Noel or Kyle O'quinn into the Bi Annual? :nod:
ImNotMcDiSwear
General Manager
And1: 6,080

Post#2499 » by ImNotMcDiSwear » Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:44 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
ImNotMcDiSwear wrote:
BobbieL wrote:Kellan Olson thinks the Suns like Saddiq Bey

Then for sure we should trade back. Bey does not stand out among all these wings. To me, both Beys, Bane, Nesmith, and even Okoro are pretty comparable. Vassell's ahead, but maybe not by all that much considering his closest comp to my eye is Bridges.

I would be super-excited if we were looking at grabbing two players instead of one, because I like these bigs: Precious, Jalen Smith, Paul Reed, Pokusevski. I could probably be convinced to give a few others a chance, as well.

I'd love to get two rooks and put them on our third string. Fill out most of the second unit with vets attracted to what we're building here.

But I can see why we might wait until draft night to entertain such plans. We're well-positioned to snatch up anyone who drops.

I don't think a guy like Okoro and a guy like Nesmith are comparable at all, unless you just mean equally valued in your mind in the draft.

I do mean equally valuable - or roughly so, anyway. Could throw Josh Green in there too. There's just not a lot of separation with those guys. Heck the one player who arguably could separate in my view is Nesmith, but there's the injury concern, which has weighed heavily on my view of him throughout this process.
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#2500 » by Ghost of Kleine » Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:54 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20

Return to Phoenix Suns