Image ImageImage Image

Valentine signs QO; Dunn to ATL for 2/$10

Moderators: HomoSapien, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat

MrSparkle
RealGM
And1: 10,008

Re: QO to Valentine but not Dunn. Page 3: Not to Shaq Harrison either 

Post#101 » by MrSparkle » Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:55 pm

Side note: boy am I glad Boylen devoted consistent minutes towards developing Sato, Dunn, Shaq, Kornet and Arci last season. Looks like the decision to bench Coby and have him play the JR Smith role for 50 games was a fantastic chess move.
erlim
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,048

Post#102 » by erlim » Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:33 pm

Really wish we didn’t put forth the QO for Val.
Pax for Prez
Starter
And1: 375

Post#103 » by Pax for Prez » Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:51 pm

erlim wrote:Really wish we didn’t put forth the QO for Val.

The Bulls can always rescind it before he accepts the 1 yr offer (as he is looking for a multi yr deal)
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,622

Post#104 » by dougthonus » Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:53 pm

MrSparkle wrote:Side note: boy am I glad Boylen devoted consistent minutes towards developing Sato, Dunn, Shaq, Kornet and Arci last season. Looks like the decision to bench Coby and have him play the JR Smith role for 50 games was a fantastic chess move.

Coby was 6th among all rookies last year in total minutes and had a PER of 11.9 and generally was trash for most of the year before coming on strong late. To say he was benched is pretty laughable. He played way more than his merit deserved, presumably because the Bulls wanted him on the court to work through troubles (which he started to do towards teh end of the year).
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,622

Post#105 » by dougthonus » Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:58 pm

thedarkstark wrote:Good, this boards infatuation with Shaq Harrison was mind-numbing. No more 1-way players, you have to at minimum be semi-competent on both sides of the ball.

My priority list would be:
1: + on both ends
2: + on one end, netural on the other
3: + on one end, - on the other
4: neutral on both ends

I wouldn't want a lot of one way players, but having guys with unique niche skills, even with a deficit, give you more options than guys whom are just so-so on both ends, because you can force their niche skill to be highlighted and the opposing team may not have the personnel immediately to take advantage of the deficiency (or you can force a substitution so they do, then you can rotate as well). Situationally, niche skills also help you when you need to overload various abilities for crucial moments (all in defense/offense on a final possession depending what side you are on).

Obviously it depends though, you definitely want to be able to routinely play as many minutes as you can without any glaring holes.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
MrSparkle
RealGM
And1: 10,008

Post#106 » by MrSparkle » Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:17 pm

dougthonus wrote:
MrSparkle wrote:Side note: boy am I glad Boylen devoted consistent minutes towards developing Sato, Dunn, Shaq, Kornet and Arci last season. Looks like the decision to bench Coby and have him play the JR Smith role for 50 games was a fantastic chess move.

Coby was 6th among all rookies last year in total minutes and had a PER of 11.9 and generally was trash for most of the year before coming on strong late. To say he was benched is pretty laughable. He played way more than his merit deserved, presumably because the Bulls wanted him on the court to work through troubles (which he started to do towards teh end of the year).

Eh, we long discussed this ad nauseam during the season.

IMO Coby was not put in a situation to succeed. I don't think he necessarily needed to start, but he should've been groomed and tested at the point from the get-go, not played as a wing alongside Dunn and Arci. I think his stats were entirely skewed.

Coby's biggest strength seemed ignored by Boylen for 50 games: speed. He's fast as hell with the ball. Bringing the ball-up in 3 seconds flat should've gotten him the primary handling duties, on a losing team with no remotely competent point-options besides Arci, who really shouldn't have even been in the rotation. Instead Boylen told him the same thing he told LaVine, Sato and Lauri: "Stand still around the arc, catch-and-shoot 3Ps or drive to the rim." Obviously it didn't work for anybody, since last year was the least watchable Bulls product since 2002.

Like I said last Nov and Dec - the season was a waste of time. I really don't think Boylen taught these guys great habits. He might've demanded them, but in the end everyone's career regressed.

I have yet to see a talented player get better by NOT playing the position everyone wants him to play. Especially when the alternatives were Sato, Dunn and Arci? I'd understand if Rondo, Lowry or even DJ Augustin were keeping Coby out of the PG rotation... But seriously? Sato and Dunn?
ZOMG
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,267

Post#107 » by ZOMG » Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:49 pm

Denzel can be a useful player in certain situations.

You just have to be careful not to put him in the Drew League.
KissedByaRose1
Pro Prospect
And1: 421

Post#108 » by KissedByaRose1 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:03 pm

https://pippenainteasy.comhttps://pippenainteasy.com/2020/11/17/chicago-bulls-adam-mokoka-extended-a-qualifying-offer//2020/11/17/chicago-bulls-adam-mokoka-extended-a-qualifying-offer/

You guys buried the lede here. This is the guy I wanted back the most and i think shows the most upside. already going to be a Plus defender on the wing IMO and i like how his shot looked last year. This was a bright spot for me in last years hell of a season and I'm sooooo happy AK feels the same way.
DuckIII wrote: We can't out-Miami, Miami. But based on their roster, we can out-Chicago them.
TheSuzerain
RealGM
And1: 10,725

Post#109 » by TheSuzerain » Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:16 pm

Extending a QO to Mokoka is pretty bad. Guy is trash.

There are probably 50 guys better than him in the G-League.

Strus sucks too. We have to do so much better with our 2-way deals. We wasted them last year.
Trm3
Assistant Coach
And1: 772

Re: QO to Valentine but not Dunn 

Post#110 » by Trm3 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:33 pm

MrFortune3 wrote:Not surprised. He didn't even attend camp. But keeping Val...c'mon man.

Yeah, I don't get keeping Valentine. Never been anything special or even good.
2018C3
Pro Prospect
And1: 539

Post#111 » by 2018C3 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:22 pm

I liked Val the most on the day he was drafted, ever since that date I have never seen much of anything that validated my initial opinion. One pre-season he hit a final shot that won a game, that was the high point for me.

Seems like a good guy! Just not skilled enough to make any difference.
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,615

Post#112 » by sco » Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:31 pm

2018C3 wrote:I liked Val the most on the day he was drafted, ever since that date I have never seen much of anything that validated my initial opinion. One pre-season he hit a final shot that won a game, that was the high point for me.

I hated Val initially, but he's improved a number of aspects of his game - his 3pt shooting is good, and he went from a dud to a stud in the paint with the addition of a very good floater. He's a great passer. Honestly, if his defense wasn't below average, he'd be a legit starter...and it's not like he doesn't try on defense, he's just slow footed. And most of that is athleticism, which was hampered for a couple of years due to his ankle. I have a sliver of hope that he can become a starting level of player if he gets in a bit better shape.
:clap:
SalmonsSuperfan
Starter
And1: 2,124

Post#113 » by SalmonsSuperfan » Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:25 pm

Val is a really good shooter and a decent ball handler and passer. He's just unathletic and made of glass. One more year to look doesn't hurt, where else is that money gonna be spent? I would say the same thing about Dunn, but he's been given many more chances than Val who has nonetheless proven himself to be a better player, at the very least a guy who can fit well into a second unit.
MalagaBulls
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,896
Location: Malaga, Spain (Where the Sun shines 300 days a year))

Post#114 » by MalagaBulls » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:30 pm

Hawks sign Dunn to 2 years 10M.

Read on Twitter
bpguimaraes23
Junior
And1: 317

Post#115 » by bpguimaraes23 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:56 pm

MalagaBulls wrote:Hawks sign Dunn to 2 years 10M.

Read on Twitter

Thank God!
bullsnewdynasty
RealGM
And1: 2,544

Re: Valentine signs QO; Dunn to ATL for 2/$10 

Post#116 » by bullsnewdynasty » Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:10 pm

Dunn was ultimately a massive disappointment.

People forget that he was a top 5 pick and one of the cornerstones of the Jimmy trade.

And he wasn't even drafted that long ago either. Expectations for him got drastically reduced over the last 2 years if people are settling on him as a decent bench rotation player. This guy got drafted ahead of Buddy Hield, Jamal Murray, and Domantas Sabonis.
FriedRise
RealGM
And1: 13,017

Post#117 » by FriedRise » Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:12 pm

ATL playing a very wise game here. Dunn was one of the few defenders who gave Trae trouble so they have them on the same team now.
TheHrvReport
Bench Warmer
And1: 798

Post#118 » by TheHrvReport » Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:12 pm

Glad we moved on from Dunn. I was excited when we traded for him 3 years ago with how high he was drafted and the college career he had. For whatever reason he couldn't put it all together and ultimately was a bust in the NBA for where he was drafted.
othawhitemeat
Veteran
And1: 751

Post#119 » by othawhitemeat » Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:16 pm

FriedRise wrote:ATL playing a very wise game here. Dunn was one of the few defenders who gave Trae trouble so they have them on the same team now.

I think this is a good move for Dunn and Atl. At Atlanta he can come off bench with d and distribution. Atlanta is going to be good soon and especially if they get Bogdan.
Wingy
RealGM
And1: 4,871

Post#120 » by Wingy » Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:11 pm

Fact is - AK loves him some RealGM Bulls board.

He figured it was worth millions of Reinsdorf & co’s $$$ to keep those Frank Nitty threads, and good times a rollin.

Return to Chicago Bulls