ImageImageImageImage

Magic trade the 45th pick in the 2020 NBA Draft to Milwaukee for two future 2nd round picks

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

zaymon
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,152

Re: Magic trade the 45th pick in the 2020 NBA Draft to Milwaukee for two future 2nd round picks 

Post#61 » by zaymon » Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:58 pm

tiderulz wrote:
zaymon wrote:Also remember players who bet on their abilities often prefer not to be drafted in the second round. We will propably sign some undrafted from the similar pool of players than at 45.
Trading a pick you dont like seems more active than just selecting a player becouse you have to.

except the players dont really get to say, hey, dont draft me in the 2nd round. they make themselves available for the draft and if they are taken they dont have a say.

Well they have a say in signing a contract. Fran Vazquez should teach us that. There were many report last year about Terence Davis telling teams dont draft me.
My money is on Banchero going number 1 !
zaymon
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,152

Re: Magic trade the 45th pick in the 2020 NBA Draft to Milwaukee for two future 2nd round picks 

Post#62 » by zaymon » Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:01 pm

Bensational wrote:So the message here is that WeHam don't believe any rotation calibre players will be drafted from 45 onwards. If any one of those 15 players turns out to be a capable player (perhaps Riller as a backup PG) then they'll have failed at evaluating the draft.

Actually they really fail only after those 2 picks bring worse assets/players
My money is on Banchero going number 1 !
Xatticus
Head Coach
And1: 7,958

Post#63 » by Xatticus » Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:02 pm

zaymon wrote:Also remember players who bet on their abilities often prefer not to be drafted in the second round. We will propably sign some undrafted from the similar pool of players than at 45.
Trading a pick you dont like seems more active than just selecting a player becouse you have to.

Selecting a player because they have to is about all this front office has done over the past three years.

"You just have to take what the draft gives you."

-Jeff Weltman

"We’ll probably just pick where we are and call it a day."

-Jeff Weltman

"I’d rather not make a trade."

-Jeff Weltman

"The great mover of teams in this league, that’s often not regarded, is continuity."

-Jeff Weltman

"It’s not tempting to make a trade. It’s hard to make a trade, especially when you like your team."

-Jeff Weltman

That's every rationalization under the sun as to why doing nothing is the right course of action. Why do we even employ scouts?
"Xatticus has always been, in my humble opinion best poster here. Should write articles or something."
-pepe1991
BDill012
Senior
And1: 273

Post#64 » by BDill012 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:03 pm

I laughed the moment I saw the announcement!

Can't win the second round lotto if you never buy a ticket. I know it is a crap shoot, but to never roll the dice is interesting.
Mauro Pedrosa
Analyst
And1: 4,387

Post#65 » by Mauro Pedrosa » Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:05 pm

MartinsIzAfraud wrote:
zaymon wrote:
SOUL wrote:
Before this trade:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Obviously i meant specifically this move, but look at our roster, we have a lot of young prospects and propably 2 more incoming in Chuma and 2020 frp.
Weltman didnt inherit any assets 3 years ago and now we have a nice young core. You act like we had Paul George, Russell Westbrook and Anthony Davis to trade.

This young core is far from nice.It’s nothing more than blind hype. Isaac is injury prone, Fultz is a glorified Payton, Bamba is well underwhelming & Chuma is a rookie off an ACL.

A nice young core is Memphis, Pelicans, Atlanta..

I’d love to disagree, but I can’t. I just can’t
The Real Dalic
RealGM
And1: 7,045

Post#66 » by The Real Dalic » Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:06 pm

In all seriousness, I really do hope this is the first of another move or two and not just their "see, you guys wanted moves, we made moves" excuse.
God. Family. Country. Basketball.
OrlChamps2030
General Manager
And1: 4,158

Post#67 » by OrlChamps2030 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:07 pm

zaymon wrote:
Bensational wrote:
zaymon wrote:Obviously i meant specifically this move, but look at our roster, we have a lot of young prospects and propably 2 more incoming in Chuma and 2020 frp.
Weltman didnt inherit any assets 3 years ago and now we have a nice young core. You act like we had Paul George, Russell Westbrook and Anthony Davis to trade.

They inherited a team that was already good enough to make the playoffs just with a coaching change.

Out of the 4 prospects they've brought in over the 3 seasons they've been here those players have had 1 complete season between them.

You act like they drafted a core or Davis, George and Westbrook. All they did was flip a 2nd Rd pick. It's not worthy of praise or hate.

Well Isaac is still believed to be worth near max by John Hollinger even with the injury. Okeke seems to posses skillset no one really has this year and Bamba..... well i am not a huge fan but he showed flashes before the shutdown i cant deny.

I dont care about second round pick in a weak draft. If we didnt like anyone it was better to move it. Its not me who is acting like we traded prime Dwight Howard

Zaymon: posts his favorite second round targets for months, says this draft is deep through the second, says you can get a first round talent in the second

*orlando trades their second*

Zaymon: this draft sucks, it’s weak and it’s already flattened out

Solid posting bro
Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 15,143

Post#68 » by Def Swami » Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:08 pm

Bensational wrote:So the message here is that WeHam don't believe any rotation calibre players will be drafted from 45 onwards. If any one of those 15 players turns out to be a capable player (perhaps Riller as a backup PG) then they'll have failed at evaluating the draft.

In the infamous "the draft flattened out" draft of 2017, here's who went after the #25th pick that we traded

27 - Kyle Kuzma
29 - Derrick White
30 - Josh Hart
37 - Semi Ojeleye
38 - Jordan Bell
40 - Dwayne Bacon
42 - Thomas Bryant
45 - Dillon Brooks
51 - Monte Morris

These are rotation players in the NBA on cheap rookie deals. Their record on talent evaluation has me dubious as to whether they have the chops for this.
MartinsIzAfraud
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,116

Post#69 » by MartinsIzAfraud » Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:10 pm

Not to mention right now we have 9 rotation players with Iwundu MCW DJ being free agents and Frazier a team option.

Unless something bigger happens they’re 1000% bringing MCW Iwundu DJ Frazier back and they’ll be 7-10 spots on the bench. That’s BLEAK AF
A scoring guard.. never heard of one. :roll:
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 37,514

Post#70 » by SOUL » Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:11 pm

In a vacuum, idgaf about the 45th pick but I have a feeling this will be our only big move tonight and we will run it back with the same team AGAIN. But hey, they might surprise us tonight too.
Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 15,143

Post#71 » by Def Swami » Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:12 pm

I'm not sure I even buy this rationalization that the Magic were never bringing 3 rookies into the roster. That's what the G League is for. At least you could have potentially locked up the rights of a player you liked and developed them in Lakeland.
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,396

Post#72 » by Bensational » Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:14 pm

One possibility - that future MIL 2nd rounder is oddly worth more in potential trade packages for the team to move up than a current 2020 2nd rounder? We could be building out our cache of assets (lol) for a deal tonight.
BDill012
Senior
And1: 273

Post#73 » by BDill012 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:15 pm

Howard Mass wrote:I actually do not mind this move and getting 2 future second round picks for #45 is actually a good haul.

They are assets that can be used in Trades and those 2nds could be pretty good down the line.

Keep in mind, The Magic signed a player DeQuan Jeffries last year who unfortunately turned down Two-Way Deal and ended up having a good run after Sacramento claimed him off waivers.

The Magic probably figure they can get someone from the Undrafted pool and also doubt they want to have three rookies on the 15 Man Roster.

I was so disappointed that DaQuan Jeffries turned down that contract. My cousin was his high school coach so I know of him from that part of his life and really wanted him to be part of the Magic's roster.
Blue_and_Whte
RealGM
And1: 9,237

Post#74 » by Blue_and_Whte » Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:16 pm

thelead wrote:
Blue_and_Whte wrote:
thelead wrote:I'm convinced a handful of us could do a better job. This is so f'ing predictable

Ya'll are losing your **** over trading 2nd round picks?

Who's losing their ****?

Are we not allowed to call out the boring predictability of this mediocre team?

You're allowed to do whatever the **** you want, just saying a "handful of us could do a better job." Come on bruh....
Faith, Family, Basketball
#2A
#Adopt
thelead
RealGM
And1: 25,628

Post#75 » by thelead » Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:19 pm

Blue_and_Whte wrote:
thelead wrote:
Blue_and_Whte wrote:Ya'll are losing your **** over trading 2nd round picks?

Who's losing their ****?

Are we not allowed to call out the boring predictability of this mediocre team?

You're allowed to do whatever the **** you want, just saying a "handful of us could do a better job." Come on bruh....

What is so hard about evaluating talent? Is it some magical gift that only a few hundred employed by the nba can do? :lol:

This isn't rocket science :lol:
KillMonger
RealGM
And1: 10,004

Post#76 » by KillMonger » Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:22 pm

MartinsIzAfraud wrote:Not to mention right now we have 9 rotation players with Iwundu MCW DJ being free agents and Frazier a team option.

Unless something bigger happens they’re 1000% bringing MCW Iwundu DJ Frazier back and they’ll be 7-10 spots on the bench. That’s BLEAK AF

the thought of dj being back really....scares me.....hopefully something is in the works because how can doing nothing be a sound strategy? especially when your position in the basketball operation is finite?
Mauro Pedrosa
Analyst
And1: 4,387

Post#77 » by Mauro Pedrosa » Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:23 pm

I’m starting to wonder why Hennigan was fired at all, if all his players are still here.
KillMonger
RealGM
And1: 10,004

Post#78 » by KillMonger » Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:23 pm

Howard Mass wrote:I actually do not mind this move and getting 2 future second round picks for #45 is actually a good haul.

They are assets that can be used in Trades and those 2nds could be pretty good down the line.

Keep in mind, The Magic signed a player DeQuan Jeffries last year who unfortunately turned down Two-Way Deal and ended up having a good run after Sacramento claimed him off waivers.

The Magic probably figure they can get someone from the Undrafted pool and also doubt they want to have three rookies on the 15 Man Roster.

wouldn't undrafted players still be rookies? i guess they'll be cheaper than if they were drafted maybe?
Dub_Sax
Rookie
And1: 111

Post#79 » by Dub_Sax » Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:27 pm

Def Swami wrote:

In the infamous "the draft flattened out" draft of 2017, here's who went after the #25th pick that we traded

27 - Kyle Kuzma
29 - Derrick White
30 - Josh Hart
37 - Semi Ojeleye
38 - Jordan Bell
40 - Dwayne Bacon
42 - Thomas Bryant
45 - Dillon Brooks
51 - Monte Morris

These are rotation players in the NBA on cheap rookie deals. Their record on talent evaluation has me dubious as to whether they have the chops for this.
This makes me doubt the scouting team/ staff which he consistently praises.

On a more positive angle, I hope they've reviewed this list and improved their evaluation process

Sent from my SM-G955U using RealGM mobile app
The Real Dalic
RealGM
And1: 7,045

Post#80 » by The Real Dalic » Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:31 pm

Mauro Pedrosa wrote:I’m starting to wonder why Hennigan was fired at all, if all his players are still here.

There's still a month before the season starts. . . But for now. . . Facts.
God. Family. Country. Basketball.

Return to Orlando Magic