ImageImageImageImage

Magic trade the 45th pick in the 2020 NBA Draft to Milwaukee for two future 2nd round picks

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

Blue_and_Whte
RealGM
And1: 9,226

Re: Magic trade the 45th pick in the 2020 NBA Draft to Milwaukee for two future 2nd round picks 

Post#81 » by Blue_and_Whte » Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:31 pm

thelead wrote:
Blue_and_Whte wrote:
thelead wrote:Who's losing their ****?

Are we not allowed to call out the boring predictability of this mediocre team?

You're allowed to do whatever the **** you want, just saying a "handful of us could do a better job." Come on bruh....

What is so hard about evaluating talent? Is it some magical gift that only a few hundred employed by the nba can do? :lol:

This isn't rocket science :lol:

I'm going to guarantee that there's a lot more to it than that and while its not rocket science it does take education, skill, experience, and relationships. Definitely more than the 5% of the behind the scenes stuff we actually see as fans.
Faith, Family, Basketball
#2A
#Adopt
thelead
RealGM
And1: 25,204

Re: Magic trade the 45th pick in the 2020 NBA Draft to Milwaukee for two future 2nd round picks 

Post#82 » by thelead » Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:32 pm

Mauro Pedrosa wrote:I’m starting to wonder why Hennigan was fired at all, if all his players are still here.

I question if the Devos' or Martins actually oversees what's going on here.
PrimeThyme
RealGM
And1: 14,326

Post#83 » by PrimeThyme » Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:32 pm

Spoiler:

This is the smug face that I see in my nightmares. It's almost like an SNL skit at this point having him running our franchise. He's become a parody of himself.
thelead
RealGM
And1: 25,204

Post#84 » by thelead » Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:36 pm

Blue_and_Whte wrote:
thelead wrote:
Blue_and_Whte wrote:You're allowed to do whatever the **** you want, just saying a "handful of us could do a better job." Come on bruh....

What is so hard about evaluating talent? Is it some magical gift that only a few hundred employed by the nba can do? :lol:

I'm going to guarantee that there's a lot more to it than that and while its not rocket science it does take education, skill, experience, and relationships. Definitely more than the 5% of the behind the scenes stuff we actually see as fans.

I don't question that at all and as someone that works with/manages a highly educated team, I get that 100%. Still, I don't doubt that if given the opportunity to build relationships with the right people and properly network, many here could do the job. Much of life is about opportunity, who you know, and how badly you want it. Unfortunately, not everyone is lucky to get the former two on that list.

Anyway, as most have said, in a vacuum, the deal isn't bad at all. It's just predictable and boring for a team that will not be making the playoffs next year unless there are serious injuries to a lot of teams.
Blue_and_Whte
RealGM
And1: 9,226

Post#85 » by Blue_and_Whte » Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:44 pm

thelead wrote:
Blue_and_Whte wrote:
thelead wrote:What is so hard about evaluating talent? Is it some magical gift that only a few hundred employed by the nba can do? :lol:

I don't question that at all and as someone that works/manages a highly educated team, I get that 100%. Still, I don't doubt that if given the opportunity to build relationships with the right people and properly network, many here could do the job. Much of life is about opportunity, who you know, and how badly you want it. Unfortunately, not everyone is lucky to get the former two on that list.

Anyway, as most have said, in a vacuum, the deal isn't bad at all. It's just predictable and boring for a team that will not be making the playoffs next year unless there are serious injuries to a lot of teams.

I just like to wait to see what they do tonight to make any rash judgments on on this particular move. This could be an effort to build assets for a draft day deal. Who knows. Again. if nothing happens, then I'm with you. Its a boring move because, while I know the likelihood of the 45 pick becoming a player of any relevance is low, the "what if" is exciting. I'm just waiting to see the end result.
Faith, Family, Basketball
#2A
#Adopt
Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,632

Post#86 » by Skin » Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:54 pm

Another defining moment for a front office that continues to appear incapable.

This is a disgrace on many levels... Imagine being a scout for the Magic... traveling all across the country scouring for talent in stinky crowded gyms, building out scouting reports, rankings, visiting players, families, friends, coaches and all the other nitty gritty details that come with the job. Hours of blood, sweat and tears... being away from your family... exposure to covid...

Then the draft day comes and your boss makes a decision that makes it all meaningless. Good Lord, I'd be furious.

As a fan, I'm disgusted because this tells me that they have no confidence in their ability to scout. I don't get it. This is a job people would beg to have. We do it as fans and it's easy to get excited about some of the second round talents. So what is their problem??? Is their perception of the team and how good it is, really that far off?

The pick doesn't have to be used on a player who makes the team. He can be stashed or sent to the G League. What good is having a farm system where you don't have any top prospects to develop?

This is not the decision of an intelligent front office. This is a disgrace. Some say it's just a second round pick, but it's more than that because it's a reflection of their decision making. You don't give up on the chance to be successful just because the odds are slim. You literally got nothing to lose. Nobody is gonna hammer you for taking a risk on a guy. If they think this is a way to avoid being evaluated in their scouting skills, then they are mistaken because we are judging them on their character and mental capacity now and that's 10 times worse for them. They are really going to have to knock it out of the park today to redeem themselves.

Jett Howard, Franz Wagner, Paolo Banchero, Jonathan Isaac, Wendell Carter Jr
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
Furinkazan
General Manager
And1: 3,528

Post#87 » by Furinkazan » Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:57 pm

OrlChamps2030 wrote:
zaymon wrote:
Bensational wrote:
They inherited a team that was already good enough to make the playoffs just with a coaching change.

Out of the 4 prospects they've brought in over the 3 seasons they've been here those players have had 1 complete season between them.

You act like they drafted a core or Davis, George and Westbrook. All they did was flip a 2nd Rd pick. It's not worthy of praise or hate.

Well Isaac is still believed to be worth near max by John Hollinger even with the injury. Okeke seems to posses skillset no one really has this year and Bamba..... well i am not a huge fan but he showed flashes before the shutdown i cant deny.

I dont care about second round pick in a weak draft. If we didnt like anyone it was better to move it. Its not me who is acting like we traded prime Dwight Howard

Zaymon: posts his favorite second round targets for months, says this draft is deep through the second, says you can get a first round talent in the second

*orlando trades their second*

Zaymon: this draft sucks, it’s weak and it’s already flattened out

Solid posting bro

Magic#1
General Manager
And1: 1,101

Post#88 » by Magic#1 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:01 pm

I'll add this to think about. I could see the Pacers going downhill in a few years and that 2nd rounder could be a lot higher than 45 would have been. At worst, we'll have two potential chances to get a sleeper rather than one. I get the frustration with the same strategy by WeHam. I haven't been impressed by them either and this is a weird trade to make before the draft itself, but it is what it is.
JBSouthpaw
Analyst
And1: 1,271

Post#89 » by JBSouthpaw » Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:03 pm

Skin wrote:Another defining moment for a front office that continues to appear incapable.

This is a disgrace on many levels... Imagine being a scout for the Magic... traveling all across the country scouring for talent in stinky crowded gyms, building out scouting reports, rankings, visiting players, families, friends, coaches and all the other nitty gritty details that come with the job. Hours of blood, sweat and tears... being away from your family... exposure to covid...

Then the draft day comes and your boss makes a decision that makes it all meaningless. Good Lord, I'd be furious.

As a fan, I'm disgusted because this tells me that they have no confidence in their ability to scout. I don't get it. This is a job people would beg to have. We do it as fans and it's easy to get excited about some of the second round talents. So what is their problem??? Is their perception of the team and how good it is, really that far off?

The pick doesn't have to be used on a player who makes the team. He can be stashed or sent to the G League. What good is having a farm system where you don't have any top prospects to develop?

This is not the decision of an intelligent front office. This is a disgrace. Some say it's just a second round pick, but it's more than that because it's a reflection of their decision making. You don't give up on the chance to be successful just because the odds are slim. You literally got nothing to lose. Nobody is gonna hammer you for taking a risk on a guy. If they think this is a way to avoid being evaluated in their scouting skills, then they are mistaken because we are judging them on their character and mental capacity now and that's 10 times worse for them. They are really going to have to knock it out of the park today to redeem themselves.

Let me see.
1. the scouts weren't traveling being exposed to covid...they shut down college hoops.
2. The scouts get paid and sign up for it. I'm sure their families like the paychecks.
3. With 2 more future picks, they just got job security, because we also have our own 2nd rounders.
4. We still will have our 2 way players, which most likely wouldn't have been a draft pick and with no
summer league or training camp the 2 ways are guaranteed to be useful to the team
5. IT'S a MID 2nd ROUND PICK! Don't shoot your load already!
JBSouthpaw
Analyst

Post#90 » by JBSouthpaw » Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:03 pm

Magic#1 wrote:I'll add this to think about. I could see the Pacers going downhill in a few years and that 2nd rounder could be a lot higher than 45 would have been. At worst, we'll have two potential chances to get a sleeper rather than one. I get the frustration with the same strategy by WeHam. I haven't been impressed by them either and this is a weird trade to make before the draft itself, but it is what it is.

I almost posted the same thing about the Indy pick. +1
FFBlitzace
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,770

Post#91 » by FFBlitzace » Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:08 pm

I mean, it's not a bad trade. It's actually a good trade. Trading #45 for two picks is technically an increase in value. But nevertheless, it just makes you sigh and shake your head for all the reasons already mentioned.

At least they didn't trade it for cash. The future picks might get traded for cash when they come up, but for now, the asset has not been flushed down the toilet in exchange for cash.
11/18/2017 - I have officially disowned Nikola Vucevic and branded him a loser.

- Skal Labissiere was my guy in 2016 pre-trade. Whoops, but I still believe.
- Malik Monk was my guy in 2017. Whoops(?)
- Mo Bamba was my guy in 2018. TBD.
Skin
RealGM

Post#92 » by Skin » Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:12 pm

JBSouthpaw wrote:Let me see.
1. the scouts weren't traveling being exposed to covid...they shut down college hoops.
2. The scouts get paid and sign up for it. I'm sure their families like the paychecks.
3. With 2 more future picks, they just got job security, because we also have our own 2nd rounders.
4. We still will have our 2 way players, which most likely wouldn't have been a draft pick and with no
summer league or training camp the 2 ways are guaranteed to be useful to the team

1. scouts don't just travel to watch games.
2. scouts working for a paycheck = terrible scouts. We want the best in the business.
3. at the current rate they won't be working here to get to work on those picks.
4. should the NBA just cancel Round 2 then?
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
Skin
RealGM

Post#93 » by Skin » Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:16 pm

FFBlitzace wrote:I mean, it's not a bad trade. It's actually a good trade. Trading #45 for two picks is technically an increase in value. But nevertheless, it just makes you sigh and shake your head for all the reasons already mentioned.

At least they didn't trade it for cash. The future picks might get traded for cash when they come up, but for now, the asset has not been flushed down the toilet in exchange for cash.

That's one way to look at it. At least they didn't trade it for cash. ...we definitely know that was a real possibility.

Maybe that 2026 pick will be pick 31 because Giannis will have left the Bucks and they are still reeling! :lol:
3ddman23
General Manager
And1: 2,532

Post#94 » by 3ddman23 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:19 pm

Skin wrote:Another defining moment for a front office that continues to appear incapable.

Truly well said... how some don't see it tbis way its crazy
GO MAGIC
Howard Mass
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 15,608

Post#95 » by Howard Mass » Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:23 pm

KillMonger wrote:
Howard Mass wrote:I actually do not mind this move and getting 2 future second round picks for #45 is actually a good haul.

They are assets that can be used in Trades and those 2nds could be pretty good down the line.

Keep in mind, The Magic signed a player DeQuan Jeffries last year who unfortunately turned down Two-Way Deal and ended up having a good run after Sacramento claimed him off waivers.

The Magic probably figure they can get someone from the Undrafted pool and also doubt they want to have three rookies on the 15 Man Roster.

wouldn't undrafted players still be rookies? i guess they'll be cheaper than if they were drafted maybe?

A Second Round Pick would likely have been a Candidate for a Two-Way slot or to sign outright with Lakeland.

It's doubtful they could have been on 15-man roster especially with two rookies (Okeke and first tonight).
R.I.P. Dharam Raghubir (A.K.A. Magnumt)

:beer:
Xatticus
Head Coach
And1: 7,936

Post#96 » by Xatticus » Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:23 pm

Magic#1 wrote:I'll add this to think about. I could see the Pacers going downhill in a few years and that 2nd rounder could be a lot higher than 45 would have been. At worst, we'll have two potential chances to get a sleeper rather than one. I get the frustration with the same strategy by WeHam. I haven't been impressed by them either and this is a weird trade to make before the draft itself, but it is what it is.

Do you honestly believe they have any intention of actually drafting anyone with those picks?
"Xatticus has always been, in my humble opinion best poster here. Should write articles or something."
-pepe1991
Howard Mass
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 15,608

Post#97 » by Howard Mass » Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:24 pm

BDill012 wrote:
Howard Mass wrote:I actually do not mind this move and getting 2 future second round picks for #45 is actually a good haul.

They are assets that can be used in Trades and those 2nds could be pretty good down the line.

Keep in mind, The Magic signed a player DeQuan Jeffries last year who unfortunately turned down Two-Way Deal and ended up having a good run after Sacramento claimed him off waivers.

The Magic probably figure they can get someone from the Undrafted pool and also doubt they want to have three rookies on the 15 Man Roster.

I was so disappointed that DaQuan Jeffries turned down that contract. My cousin was his high school coach so I know of him from that part of his life and really wanted him to be part of the Magic's roster.

Me too. It sucked to see him then get a Two-Way with Sacramento.
R.I.P. Dharam Raghubir (A.K.A. Magnumt)

:beer:
JBSouthpaw
Analyst

Post#98 » by JBSouthpaw » Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:29 pm

Skin wrote:
JBSouthpaw wrote:Let me see.

1. scouts don't just travel to watch games.
2. scouts working for a paycheck = terrible scouts. We want the best in the business.
3. at the current rate they won't be working here to get to work on those picks.
4. should the NBA just cancel Round 2 then?

1. applied to your direct statement of them traveling to "stinky gyms"
2. may not be working for a paycheck, doesn't mean they aren't happy to get one especially doing basketball work
3. I can assume the FO asked the scouts if they had a hard on for any 2nd rounder.
4. the pick had different value to different teams. Doesn't mean we can't can't get back in if we want to. We just picked up to future picks that have their own value.

This regime clearly doesn't value 2nd rounders, or late 1sts for that matter. But it was nice to see them get value for it.
we may need those picks to fill out our roster when it matters, which it won't this year.
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 12,663

Post#99 » by MagicMatic » Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:31 pm

LOL

I sincerely dislike this FO.

I swear to god... if a decent player is on the board at 45..
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,818

Post#100 » by drsd » Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:39 pm

Xatticus wrote:That's every rationalization under the sun as to why doing nothing is the right course of action. Why do we even employ scouts?

Well the interview did start with a covid justification for firing a bunch of Magic staff; maybe there are no longer any scouts.

Return to Orlando Magic