ImageImageImageImage

Magic trade the 45th pick in the 2020 NBA Draft to Milwaukee for two future 2nd round picks

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,915

Re: Magic trade the 45th pick in the 2020 NBA Draft to Milwaukee for two future 2nd round picks 

Post#101 » by drsd » Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:40 pm

MagicMatic wrote:LOL

I sincerely dislike this FO.

I swear to god... if a decent player is on the board at 45..

Like the midget PG Markus Howard? Or the robotic C Nick Richards?
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,104

Re: Magic trade the 45th pick in the 2020 NBA Draft to Milwaukee for two future 2nd round picks 

Post#102 » by tiderulz » Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:42 pm

zaymon wrote:
tiderulz wrote:
zaymon wrote:Also remember players who bet on their abilities often prefer not to be drafted in the second round. We will propably sign some undrafted from the similar pool of players than at 45.
Trading a pick you dont like seems more active than just selecting a player becouse you have to.

except the players dont really get to say, hey, dont draft me in the 2nd round. they make themselves available for the draft and if they are taken they dont have a say.

Well they have a say in signing a contract. Fran Vazquez should teach us that. There were many report last year about Terence Davis telling teams dont draft me.

true. but he was already playing overseas. If a 2nd round pick doesnt want to sign a contract, they can go play overseas but they cant play for another team in the US.
FFBlitzace
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,777

Post#103 » by FFBlitzace » Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:44 pm

Xatticus wrote:
Magic#1 wrote:I'll add this to think about. I could see the Pacers going downhill in a few years and that 2nd rounder could be a lot higher than 45 would have been. At worst, we'll have two potential chances to get a sleeper rather than one. I get the frustration with the same strategy by WeHam. I haven't been impressed by them either and this is a weird trade to make before the draft itself, but it is what it is.

Do you honestly believe they have any intention of actually drafting anyone with those picks?

That's the thing. They've sold or deferred the majority of our 2nd round picks since taking office. I don't know the complete breakdown off the top of my head, but I think one or more of the picks they deferred right after taking office have since come up only to be sold off. Someone can correct me on that if I'm wrong, and I hope someone does check it out, because I'm curious. Even if I'm wrong on that detail, the point stands. We have not utilized the 2nd round whatsoever. Are Iwundu and Frazier the only two 2nd round players that have actually been drafted, signed, and placed on the roster by us since Weltman took over? I might be forgetting somebody.
11/18/2017 - I have officially disowned Nikola Vucevic and branded him a loser.

- Skal Labissiere was my guy in 2016 pre-trade. Whoops, but I still believe.
- Malik Monk was my guy in 2017. Whoops(?)
- Mo Bamba was my guy in 2018. TBD.
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 12,922

Post#104 » by MagicMatic » Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:45 pm

drsd wrote:
MagicMatic wrote:LOL

I sincerely dislike this FO.

I swear to god... if a decent player is on the board at 45..

Like the midget PG Markus Howard? Or the robotic C Nick Richards?

We don’t know how the draft will shake out.

Cassius Stanley, Paul Reed, Riller, etc etc.

It’s a low risk high reward situation they choose to continually punt on. This organization can’t afford to pass on maximizing potential talent at the expense of a draft pick.
TheGlyde
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 559

Post#105 » by TheGlyde » Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:47 pm

Man, taking a break from the negativity on the board can be so good for ones mental health :lol:

Theres no reasoning with some of you so I don't know why I will bother but here goes;

1. 45th pick in a weak draft, when theres almost no training camp, a handful of preseason games, and probably no G-League to send them? You might even draft a diamond in the rough but have no time or ability to evaluate or develop them, and then lose them because of the circumstances of this year.

Swap it out for twice as many chances in the future when things should be back to normal, is a good deal.

2. I don't get the whole 'Magic never draft/never hit in the 2nd round'... Wes Iwundu is a decent rotation player,. If you can land one in the 2nd round every few years you are doing fairly well.

3. "Oh my god why even have a scouting department"... How do you know the scouting department didn't chirp up and say "There is nobody we think who could realistically contribute at 45", and that opinion could have influenced this deal?
Orlando Magic Historian

Magic Player History on Instagram

Also on Twitter & Youtube
Dub_Sax
Rookie
And1: 111

Post#106 » by Dub_Sax » Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:49 pm

A little patience here... maybe there's a potential trade that would net the magic two 1st round picks

Sent from my SM-G955U using RealGM mobile app
TheGlyde
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#107 » by TheGlyde » Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:52 pm

FFBlitzace wrote:Are Iwundu and Frazier the only two 2nd round players that have actually been drafted, signed, and placed on the roster by us since Weltman took over? I might be forgetting somebody.

Right but thats 2 picks in 3 years right?

Last year we unloaded Talen Horton-Tucker to the Lakers for 2.2million and a 2020 second rounder (which we flipped for James Ennis).

I don't see how that was a bad deal either.
Orlando Magic Historian

TheGlyde
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#108 » by TheGlyde » Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:52 pm

Dub_Sax wrote:A little patience here... maybe there's a potential trade that would net the magic two 1st round picks

Why would we want two 1st round picks in this weak draft, in this abbreviated/rushed season when we already have Chuma coming in as well?
Orlando Magic Historian

Dub_Sax
Rookie

Post#109 » by Dub_Sax » Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:00 pm

TheGlyde wrote:
Dub_Sax wrote:A little patience here... maybe there's a potential trade that would net the magic two 1st round picks

Why would we want two 1st round picks in this weak draft, in this abbreviated/rushed season when we already have Chuma coming in as well?
Because this team needs as much new talent as it can get.. and if theres a trade where we give up any combo of our big little 3 of vooch/fournier/ag for players and/or picks, I say do it.

It's time to move on.

fendilim
RealGM
And1: 5,017

Post#110 » by fendilim » Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:02 pm

The draft flattens out after 15...
TheGlyde
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#111 » by TheGlyde » Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:06 pm

Dub_Sax wrote:
TheGlyde wrote:

Because this team needs as much new talent as it can get.. and if theres a trade where we give up any combo of our big little 3 of vooch/fournier/ag for players and/or picks, I say do it.

It's time to move on.

This is two independent things.

Yes we need more talent, unproven rookies in an abbreviated offseason are only going to get buried at the end of Clifford's bench (at best).

Moving on from a combo of Vooch/Evan/AG, I'm on board (well I would prefer to keep Vooch), but none of the three do I really want to trade for rookies/first rounders or even get rid of tonight.

Shop Evan's expiring around and you will have both teams wanting to trim payroll interested in him now, and contenders wanting to add him at the trade deadline. Get rid of AG if Chief and Chuma look like they can hold things down until Isaac is back.
Orlando Magic Historian

Dub_Sax
Rookie

Post#112 » by Dub_Sax » Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:20 pm

TheGlyde wrote:
Dub_Sax wrote:
TheGlyde wrote:

It's time to move on.

Yes we need more talent, unproven rookies in an abbreviated offseason are only going to get buried at the end of Clifford's bench (at best).

Moving on from a combo of Vooch/Evan/AG, I'm on board (well I would prefer to keep Vooch), but none of the three do I really want to trade for rookies/first rounders or even get rid of tonight.

Shop Evan's expiring around and you will have both teams wanting to trim payroll interested in him now, and contenders wanting to add him at the trade deadline. Get rid of AG if Chief and Chuma look like they can hold things down until Isaac is back.
Imo, if, for example, GS offers #2 and Wiggins for Vooch, I take that deal and move forward with Wiggins and Wiseman.

And if Fournier or AG and 15 get the magic into the top 10, I do it... but maybe that's why im not a nba gm! lol

MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 12,922

Post#113 » by MagicMatic » Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:22 pm

Love the defense from the apologists here...

If they manage to trade up or get 2 firsts this will be salvaged.
TheGlyde
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#114 » by TheGlyde » Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:25 pm

Dub_Sax wrote:
TheGlyde wrote:
Dub_Sax wrote:Because this team needs as much new talent as it can get.. and if theres a trade where we give up any combo of our big little 3 of vooch/fournier/ag for players and/or picks, I say do it.

It's time to move on.

Imo, if, for example, GS offers #2 and Wiggins for Vooch, I take that deal and move forward with Wiggins and Wiseman.

And if Fournier or AG and 15 get the magic into the top 10, I do it... but maybe that's why im not a nba gm! lol

I don't want any part of Wiggins contract, with that albatross you are banking everything on Wiseman taking us to the promised land and to me Vooch is a better modern center than Wiseman.

I don't like Fournier, so for me theres some addition by subtraction factor in moving him, but the difference between the guys at 7,8,9 and 15 are not that great. We may even get someone at 15 who ends up being better than a few in the top ten, so if that is all AG could bring I would rather have keep AG plus whoever we take at 15 for now, and look to move AG later.
Orlando Magic Historian

Dub_Sax
Rookie

Post#115 » by Dub_Sax » Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:35 pm

TheGlyde wrote:
Dub_Sax wrote:
TheGlyde wrote:

I don't want any part of Wiggins contract, with that albatross you are banking everything on Wiseman taking us to the promised land and to me Vooch is a better modern center than Wiseman.

I don't like Fournier, so for me theres some addition by subtraction factor in moving him, but the difference between the guys at 7,8,9 and 15 are not that great. We may even get someone at 15 who ends up being better than a few in the top ten, so if that is all AG could bring I would rather have keep AG plus whoever we take at 15 for now, and look to move AG later.
Not a fan of Wiggins contact either, but the player fills a need for more wing scoring.
And bigs aren't leading teams to the promised land these days anyways and after 8 years of vooch, while he is still the best player, again, it's time to move on and why not replace him with the (projected) best big in the draft..

Again hypothetical, but just explaining my logic

Howard Mass
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 15,648

Post#116 » by Howard Mass » Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:21 am

I think there are some potential gems in the second round but the Magic already have two First-Round Picks Chuma Okeke and #15 or whomever they Draft coming to Camp.

Whomever they would have Drafted would have been targeted for a Two-Way Deal and it is possible The Magic could pick up that same player they like as an undrafted free agent like Jeffries last year. Unfortunately, he wanted to make the 15 man roster and turned the Two-Way only to be claimed on Waivers by Sacramento.

The two second-round picks could actually end up being pretty good but they are mostly assets and those are good.

Who knows how good Milwaukee will be in 2026 and The Indiana pick is one year afterthis one is paid off to Brooklyn.

2021 second round draft pick to Brooklyn
Indiana's 2nd round pick to Brooklyn protected for selections 45-60 in 2021 and 45-60 in 2022 and unprotected in 2023 [Brooklyn-Indiana, 7/7/2016]

So It might come when indiana is going in the other direction as Indiana has to be 31-44 for it to be paid to Brooklyn and in 21 or 22.

Either way, 2 2nds for a mid-second is a good deal even if there are just going to be traded for future assets.
R.I.P. Dharam Raghubir (A.K.A. Magnumt)

:beer:
The Effect
Magic Forum Mock Draft Co-Champ
And1: 2,053

Post#117 » by The Effect » Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:25 am

drsd wrote:How many rookies do we want on this team?

3, 4, 5

This team, as constructed isnt going anywhere and are over the cap, so why not take some big swings with late picks?? what does it hurt?
Hammond was the GM who drafted Malcolm Brodgon in the 2nd rounder, Weltman was part of the FO who found Fred VanFleet....why do they refuse to even TRY to do that here?
The Effect

Post#118 » by The Effect » Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:26 am

Howard Mass wrote:The two second-round picks could actually end up being pretty good but they are mostly assets and those are good.

Who knows how good Milwaukee will be in 2026 and The Indiana pick is one year afterthis one is paid off to Brooklyn.

Indiana's 2nd round pick to Brooklyn protected for selections 45-60 in 2021 and 45-60 in 2022 and unprotected in 2023 [Brooklyn-Indiana, 7/7/2016]

So It might come when indiana is going in the other direction as Indiana has to be 31-44 for it to be paid to Brooklyn and in 21 or 22.

Either way, 2 2nds for a mid-second is a good deal even if there are just going to be traded for future assets.

if Weham is still here in '22 or '26, we arent seeing those picks either as they will just be traded away then as well
Howard Mass
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 15,648

Post#119 » by Howard Mass » Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:28 am

The Effect wrote:
Howard Mass wrote:The two second-round picks could actually end up being pretty good but they are mostly assets and those are good.

if Weham is still here in '22 or '26, we arent seeing those picks either as they will just be traded away then as well

It's possible they will both be traded again but they are both assets.
R.I.P. Dharam Raghubir (A.K.A. Magnumt)

:beer:
The Effect

Post#120 » by The Effect » Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:29 am

Howard Mass wrote:
The Effect wrote:

It's possible they will both be traded again but they are both assets.

yeah, assets to acquire more future 2nd rounders

Return to Orlando Magic