Moderators: Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

vege
RealGM
And1: 4,219

Re: Trevor Ariza and 16. Official Woj 

Post#41 » by vege » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:03 am

Pharaoh wrote:
vege wrote:
Pharaoh wrote:It's a disaster? Acquiring 16 for a super protected first is not a disaster.

Sent from my SM-A520F using RealGM mobile app

It's not a super protected. It's a pick they'll get back in the future. We're not getting anything here. We get a pick now, and we give back later, and the pick we give back later will very likely be better because of the reasons I explained in my post.

It's a complete disaster. We even gave away one of those 2nds you guys love for Cash to Gore. Proving we gave away Brown for free to Brooklyn.
Top 9 protected for 4 years is not a complete disaster!

It actually suggests Weaver is going to build through the Draft.

This is what we've wanted for years and you're going to rain on a glimpse of optimism because of some pick in the 10-14 slot you believe will be conveyed at some point in the next 4 years?

You do you man.

I'm get ready for the Draft

So far Weaver donated Brown to the Net's for nothing in return.

And he donated 7 million in raw cap space for nothing in return. He got a pick now, to give it back a few years in the future. Meanwhile, we can't deal our picks. Brilliant.

Now wait for him to draft the next Greg Monroe :banghead:
SamFlow
Pro Prospect
And1: 199

Post#42 » by SamFlow » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:08 am

tend to think its Patrick williams and then either cole anthony or Kira Lewis at 16. Or Hayes and then Nesmith. Unless we trade up or down.
BigDaddyJungle
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,307

Post#43 » by buzzkilloton » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:08 am

vege wrote:
Pharaoh wrote:
vege wrote:
It's more than that. No one has enough information on the players because of the situation we've been having this year. The odds are, people will make terrible choices this draft. We're giving up a pick in possibly a better draft and with a better opportunity to scout the player we take. This is a disaster. Even if we use this pick to move up, we don't have enough information to know if the player we're taking is really good. We could move up to draft the next Anthony Bennett :banghead:
It's a disaster? Acquiring 16 for a super protected first is not a disaster.

It's not a super protected. It's a pick they'll get back in the future. We're not getting anything here. We get a pick now, and we give back later, and the pick we give back later will very likely be better because of the reasons I explained in my post.

It's a complete disaster. We even gave away one of those 2nds you guys love for Cash to Gore. Proving we gave away Brown for free to Brooklyn.

Hmmm I didnt think about the not enough scouting angle. I think today its very easy for us to like this move we get two picks in the first ofc we like it. I wouldnt call it a complete disaster I want to see what Weaver does with it. That said this move is for sure not a slam dunk fist pump move it remains to be seen and it does carry some risks.
Canadafan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,442

Post#44 » by Canadafan » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:10 am

The trade was great. Itll likely be us giving them 2 2nd rounders down the road. I'm happy we're getting two rookies now. And likely lining ourselves up the next summers to be in the lottery in two very strong drafts. Ariza wont be in uniform for us its basically costing us $1.8 to get the #16 sweeeeet
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,854

Post#45 » by MotownMadness » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:10 am

SamFlow wrote:tend to think its Patrick williams and then either cole anthony or Kira Lewis at 16. Or Hayes and then Nesmith. Unless we trade up or down.

Would be sweet if Nesmith lasts til 16 and definitely hoping for Hayes tonight
rmfc
Assistant Coach
And1: 936

Post#46 » by rmfc » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:10 am

Decent deal based on what I read about the protections on future pick but a lot is going to depend on what happens with the 16th pick (or the 7th and 16th combo trade deal?).
edmunder_prc
Sixth Man
And1: 813

Post#47 » by edmunder_prc » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:10 am

SamFlow wrote:tend to think its Patrick williams and then either cole anthony or Kira Lewis at 16. Or Hayes and then Nesmith. Unless we trade up or down.

Hayes and Nesmith. Great Scott! 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)
rmfc
Assistant Coach
And1: 936

Post#48 » by rmfc » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:12 am

edmunder_prc wrote:

Hayes and Nesmith. Great Scott! 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

That would be nice.
thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,209

Post#49 » by thesack12 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:14 am

Canadafan wrote:The trade was great. Itll likely be us giving them 2 2nd rounders down the road. I'm happy we're getting two rookies now. And likely lining ourselves up the next summers to be in the lottery in two very strong drafts. Ariza wont be in uniform for us its basically costing us $1.8 to get the #16 sweeeeet

The Pick is top 16 protected until 2025, then top 10 protected until 2027, and top 9 protected in 2028, then it becomes 2nds.

If it gets to the point of actually becoming 2nd rounders sent, Detroit will have drafted legendarily bad for the next 7 years, and the rebuild will have long been an EPIC fail.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,610

Post#50 » by Snakebites » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:15 am

Just no pleasing some people.

We won’t be able to trade future picks, but we can still trade rights to guys after they’re drafted.

Value is fine. If we end up losing a pick in the 9-14 range in 5 years it means the Weaver regime was a failure.

This is a pick now for a pick later. It’s fine.
chrbal
RealGM
And1: 1,651

Post#51 » by chrbal » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:16 am

vege wrote:
Pharaoh wrote:
vege wrote:

Top 9 protected for 4 years is not a complete disaster!

This is what we've wanted for years and you're going to rain on a glimpse of optimism because of some pick in the 10-14 slot you believe will be conveyed at some point in the next 4 years?

You do you man.

And he donated 7 million in raw cap space for nothing in return. He got a pick now, to give it back a few years in the future. Meanwhile, we can't deal our picks. Brilliant.

Top 16 for 4 years, like top ten for two after that, top 9 after that.

Not being able to trade 1sts isn’t exactly a bad thing. I get that issue, but I feel like we had to outbid other teams.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,610

Post#52 » by Snakebites » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:17 am

chrbal wrote:
vege wrote:
Pharaoh wrote:Top 9 protected for 4 years is not a complete disaster!

You do you man.

Not being able to trade 1sts isn’t exactly a bad thing. I get that issue, but I feel like we had to outbid other teams.

I don’t WANT us trading picks during that time frame.
topsearch92
Junior
And1: 153

Post#53 » by topsearch92 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:18 am

Snakebites wrote:Just no pleasing some people.

We won’t be able to trade future picks, but we can still trade rights to guys after they’re drafted.

Value is fine. If we end up losing a pick in the 9-14 range in 5 years it means the Weaver regime was a failure.

And with rebuilding we don’t want to trade picks anyways. It’s not like we are contending or have anywhere close to enough assets to landing a Harden type player
vege
RealGM

Post#54 » by vege » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:19 am

Snakebites wrote:

We gave up 7 million in raw cap space for that. We gained nothing, in fact, we lost a late 2nd in the process. How can people like that deal?
vege
RealGM

Post#55 » by vege » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:20 am

chrbal wrote:
vege wrote:
Pharaoh wrote:Top 9 protected for 4 years is not a complete disaster!

You do you man.

So, like I said, in the future, we'll give the pick back, probably around the same place we are picking, but maybe in a stronger draft, and for sure, with a better opportunity to evaluate the players. It's a disaster. Our FO got robbed in both deals they've made so far.
Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 4,565

Post#56 » by Pharaoh » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:20 am

vege wrote:
Snakebites wrote:

We gave up 7 million in raw cap space for that. We gained nothing, in fact, we lost a late 2nd in the process. How can people like that deal?
You be you man.

Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 4,565

Post#57 » by Pharaoh » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:21 am

Snakebites wrote:
chrbal wrote:
vege wrote:

I don’t WANT us trading picks during that time frame.
THIS

DetroitSho
Head Coach
And1: 2,165

Post#58 » by DetroitSho » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:21 am

vege wrote:
Snakebites wrote:

I'm honestly starting to think you're playing at this point.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
Scout Taron
Veteran
And1: 393

Post#59 » by Scout Taron » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:24 am

You'd think you could trade a straight up second rounder instead, but it's an okay trade overall. Basically guaranteed to be a worse pick in the future as long as we aren't insanely ineptly mismanaged.
chrbal
RealGM
And1: 1,651

Post#60 » by chrbal » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:25 am

vege wrote:
Snakebites wrote:

2nd is going to be like 58 next year. Which the rockets bought for $4.6 million. Ariza is owed around $6.4 million. We’ll cut him soon, whoever signs him discounts his money. He’s at least worth what New York gave Bullock last year, $4 million. So now we owe Ariza like $2.4 million .

The pick swap makes it like a 20th pick down the road at best.

Return to Detroit Pistons