ImageImageImage

Malik Beasley Arrested (Marijuana Possession + Stolen Property)

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Neeva
Head Coach
And1: 2,194

Re: Malik Beasley Arrested (Marijuana Possession + Stolen Property) 

Post#181 » by Neeva » Sat Nov 7, 2020 6:00 am

am I missing something, and he actually shot at these people? Some of you here are acting like he did. Beasley probably wont spend any jail time (unlike a current laker) In no way will this end his career, but he needs an intervention and stop doing dumb **** to look tough.
Rookie-Mistake
Rookie
And1: 390

Post#182 » by Rookie-Mistake » Sat Nov 7, 2020 7:43 am

In Aus. You go to jail for what he did. That is why I am flabbergasted at the blase reactions to this incident on here.

I know in Aus (states have different law) we have different laws to the USA but this is sheer madness. I am so glad we don't have the same gun culture as USA.
Neeva wrote:am I missing something, and he actually shot at these people? Some of you here are acting like he did. Beasley probably wont spend any jail time (unlike a current laker) In no way will this end his career, but he needs an intervention and stop doing dumb **** to look tough.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using RealGM mobile app
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,605

Post#183 » by shrink » Sat Nov 7, 2020 12:00 pm

Rookie-Mistake wrote:
Neeva wrote:am I missing something, and he actually shot at these people? Some of you here are acting like he did. Beasley probably wont spend any jail time (unlike a current laker) In no way will this end his career, but he needs an intervention and stop doing dumb **** to look tough
In Aus. You go to jail for what he did. That is why I am flabbergasted at the blase reactions to this incident on here.

I know in Aus (states have different law) we have different laws to the USA but this is sheer madness. I am so glad we don't have the same gun culture as USA.

It’s illegal in Minnesota too.

BRANDISHING A WEAPON
A person can be charged with brandishing a weapon if they “(2) intentionally points a gun of any kind, capable of injuring or killing a human being and whether loaded or unloaded, at or toward another” would be guilty of a misdemeanor.

609.713 TERRORISTIC THREATS.
Subdivision 1.Threaten violence; intent to terrorize. Whoever threatens, directly or indirectly, to commit any crime of violence with purpose to terrorize another or to cause evacuation of a building, place of assembly, vehicle or facility of public transportation or otherwise to cause serious public inconvenience, or in a reckless disregard of the risk of causing such terror or inconvenience may be sentenced to imprisonment for not more than five years or to payment of a fine of not more than $10,000, or both.

I’m not a lawyer, but I found this too

609.11 MINIMUM SENTENCES OF IMPRISONMENT.
Subdivision 1.Commitments without minimums. All commitments to the commissioner of corrections for imprisonment of the defendant are without minimum terms except when the sentence is to life imprisonment as required by law and except as otherwise provided in this chapter.
Subd. 2. [Repealed, 1978 c 723 art 2 s 5]
Subd. 3. [Repealed, 1981 c 227 s 13]
§Subd. 4.Dangerous weapon Next . Any defendant convicted of an offense listed in subdivision 9 in which the defendant or an accomplice, at the time of the offense, used, whether by Previous brandishing Next , displaying, threatening with, or otherwise employing, Previous a Next dangerous Previous weapon Next other than Previous a Next firearm, shall be committed to the commissioner of corrections for not less than one year plus one day, nor more than the maximum sentence provided by law.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
jpatrick
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,598

Post#184 » by jpatrick » Sat Nov 7, 2020 3:25 pm

I think most people assume that it’ll be plea bargained to a lesser charge with probation but no jail/prison. But you never know, pointing an automatic weapon just isn’t okay.
Rookie-Mistake
Rookie
And1: 390

Post#185 » by Rookie-Mistake » Sat Nov 7, 2020 9:46 pm

Interesting.

I saw in a news report that a 12 gauge shotgun, automatic rifle (the one he used to threaten the victims by taping it on their car window whilst they were inside the car) and a handgun were seized. The CCTV that the Police seized from the house with a warrant has him storing it in the mudroom closet.

The 1.8 pounds of 'medicinal' Marijuana should also not be downplayed. This is a pretty large amount considering he is a professional athlete. His wife has out her hand up to say it's hers, but when asked where she got it.. uh I don't know..

I just feel really sorry for their son Makai.. what a sad story.
shrink wrote:
Rookie-Mistake wrote:
Neeva wrote:am I missing something, and he actually shot at these people? Some of you here are acting like he did. Beasley probably wont spend any jail time (unlike a current laker) In no way will this end his career, but he needs an intervention and stop doing dumb **** to look tough

It’s illegal in Minnesota too.

BRANDISHING A WEAPON
A person can be charged with brandishing a weapon if they “(2) intentionally points a gun of any kind, capable of injuring or killing a human being and whether loaded or unloaded, at or toward another” would be guilty of a misdemeanor.

609.713 TERRORISTIC THREATS.
Subdivision 1.Threaten violence; intent to terrorize. Whoever threatens, directly or indirectly, to commit any crime of violence with purpose to terrorize another or to cause evacuation of a building, place of assembly, vehicle or facility of public transportation or otherwise to cause serious public inconvenience, or in a reckless disregard of the risk of causing such terror or inconvenience may be sentenced to imprisonment for not more than five years or to payment of a fine of not more than $10,000, or both.

I’m not a lawyer, but I found this too

609.11 MINIMUM SENTENCES OF IMPRISONMENT.
Subdivision 1.Commitments without minimums. All commitments to the commissioner of corrections for imprisonment of the defendant are without minimum terms except when the sentence is to life imprisonment as required by law and except as otherwise provided in this chapter.
Subd. 2. [Repealed, 1978 c 723 art 2 s 5]
Subd. 3. [Repealed, 1981 c 227 s 13]
§Subd. 4.Dangerous weapon Next . Any defendant convicted of an offense listed in subdivision 9 in which the defendant or an accomplice, at the time of the offense, used, whether by Previous brandishing Next , displaying, threatening with, or otherwise employing, Previous a Next dangerous Previous weapon Next other than Previous a Next firearm, shall be committed to the commissioner of corrections for not less than one year plus one day, nor more than the maximum sentence provided by law.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using RealGM mobile app
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,721

Post#186 » by minimus » Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:07 am

No news? Guns, weed? If Beasley enters FA market with so much uncertainty he might lose a lot of interest from other teams.
shangrila
RealGM
And1: 6,067

Post#187 » by shangrila » Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:22 am

minimus wrote:No news? Guns, weed? If Beasley enters FA market with so much uncertainty he might lose a lot of interest from other teams.

Oh he's screwed.

Nobody will be interested in signing him until this stuff is sorted out.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,822

Post#188 » by KGdaBom » Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:25 pm

Anything new to report?
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,923

Post#189 » by Klomp » Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:15 pm

Read on Twitter
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#190 » by KGdaBom » Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:27 pm

Klomp wrote:
Read on Twitter

That makes it sound like we haven't moved on from him. On the other hand it could just be lip service.
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#191 » by Jedzz » Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:31 pm

shangrila wrote:
minimus wrote:No news? Guns, weed? If Beasley enters FA market with so much uncertainty he might lose a lot of interest from other teams.

Oh he's screwed.

I would guess he hurt himself here even if lucky to avoid jail or whatever. But one thing for those that just eat this up as leverage against a player in FA, he also isn't staying here on a junk deal just because of this. If the team uses this as leverage to offer him a junk deal with multiple years of their control attached, he won't be staying here long as they will earn no loyalty pts for it. It is what it is of course. I'm guessing he's gone or he signs a really short deal to attempt to resurface after all this and in the meantime let his play do the talking.
Dewey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,020

Post#192 » by Dewey » Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:57 pm

Jedzz wrote:
shangrila wrote:

Oh he's screwed.

I would guess he hurt himself here even if lucky to avoid jail or whatever. But one thing for those that just eat this up as leverage against a player in FA, he also isn't staying here on a junk deal just because of this. If the team uses this as leverage to offer him a junk deal with multiple years of their control attached, he won't be staying here long as they will earn no loyalty pts for it. It is what it is of course. I'm guessing he's gone or he signs a really short deal to attempt to resurface after all this and in the meantime let his play do the talking.

Ya, I see a short conservative deal with team options. When it comes down to it (if given the opportunity), Beasley "should" be elated if the team shows willingness to allow this to play out a year under a team friendly contract.
Flip response to Love wanting out, "He has no reason to be upset, you're either a part of the problem or a part of the solution"
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#193 » by Klomp » Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:03 pm

Only one option year can be put at the end of a contract. Can negotiate multiple contract guarantee dates, though I'm not sure why Beasley would agree to a contract like that.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Jedzz
RealGM

Post#194 » by Jedzz » Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:15 pm

Klomp wrote:Only one option year can be put at the end of a contract. Can negotiate multiple contract guarantee dates, though I'm not sure why Beasley would agree to a contract like that.

Isn't there also a stipulation that you cannot extend someone for less, it must be an increase. I don't know if one dollar increase would suffice or not. I just hope they don't try to lock team control into a low offer for multiple years. That will spell goodbye

Also, how did Bradley Beal extend his deal by two years if only one can be added. Or is it different because they've allowed this to reach FA dates?
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#195 » by Klomp » Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:18 pm

Jedzz wrote:
Klomp wrote:Only one option year can be put at the end of a contract. Can negotiate multiple contract guarantee dates, though I'm not sure why Beasley would agree to a contract like that.

Isn't there also a stipulation that you cannot extend someone for less, it must be an increase. I don't know if one dollar increase would suffice or not. I just hope they don't try to lock team control into a low offer for multiple years. That will spell goodbye

Also, how did Bradley Beal extend his deal by two years if only one can be added. Or is it different because they've allowed this to reach FA dates?

You're talking about a contract extension, my post was about option years negotiated into a contract.

Jedzz
RealGM

Post#196 » by Jedzz » Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:33 pm

Klomp wrote:
Jedzz wrote:

You're talking about a contract extension, my post was about option years negotiated into a contract.

Got it.
Baseline81
Starter
And1: 1,263

Post#197 » by Baseline81 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:56 pm

Read on Twitter
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#198 » by KGdaBom » Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:06 pm

Baseline81 wrote:
Read on Twitter

I don't know if there ever was a 50/50/90 shooter and it would have been Stockton. He certainly wouldn't have been 1st team all defense.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,327

Post#199 » by Calinks » Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:58 pm

There is no way around. He absolutely screwed himself here. I have no idea what he was thinking. I just hope it was an incredibly bad lapse of judgment and he cleans it up. The team and people on the inside know more about his character and will make a judgment. It would be great if he could turn this around and he and his family could grow from this. Hope he does and he shows it on the floor this season too. It's really on the wolves to determine if this is a one-off thing or something he may do again.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#200 » by KGdaBom » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:51 am

So we did not make QO to Beasley and he is gone. What a SHAME.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves