2020 SPURS DRAFT THREAD - NOVEMBER 18, 2020, 7PM (CT)

Moderator: G R E Y

G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs
And1: 32,349

Re: 2020 SPURS DRAFT THREAD - NOVEMBER 18, 2020 

Post#81 » by G R E Y » Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:20 am

KJStark23 wrote:

Thanks for the video, KJ. Some good insights overall.

I disagree that we are in no-man's land or in the midst of an identity crisis. It's just that 1. we had to do an abrupt pivot while 2. continuing to develop young players. As to 2, that happens to be a deliberate process that has reaped rewards for decades, but seems so slow that it looks like we're not headed anywhere particular when in fact we're headed just where we are intending, even with some serious diversions and trials along the way. We've stayed the course, and now have a far more athletic group than the duo in the video give credit about. This is probably the most athletic team we've had in decades, and the young group is now far more ready for bigger roles because of said development.

I agree that we don't have a stand out star at the moment, and that this is a transformative period for us. Whether or not any of our current young guys will rise remains to be seen - this will really be the first opportunity for them to step into it.

I also agree that we won't be playing the same style as we did during the beautiful game period, but 1. we were closer to that more movement oriented style in the bubble even as it was blended with more up-tempo transition and 2. bubble play change of style - moving on from the half-court sets catering to LMA and DD - shows that we once again have successfully made alterations to how we play to maximize the strengths of our players.

Hopefully we can draft a player or two who can either grow into that standout or we make some moves for one that fits our current group. It's a higher, younger ceiling than, say, two years ago. That's an important transition already.

Not sure about the praise about Metu - are they going by what Metu offers in terms of tantalizing athleticism? They mentioned he showed some things, but I've watched every game, so not sure when that was. Flashes is the right word. I think he has more to show, but not sure it will be with us. Drew showed a lot more, but was hardly mentioned.

As to the players they suggest we draft, some interesting insights: Avdija, Hayes, Patrick Williams I'm very high on; less so on Okoro and Precious. They've watched a lot more of these prospects for far longer than I have and were very informative about the contexts. Williams, for example, has a tantalizing collection of skills that could be developed in the right situation, but they were less high on him than I am because Williams had his best games versus weak teams but struggled versus the best ones. He was also on a team where he had a lot of help and so was able to fulfill a role on the team rather than be overburdened with having to do too much. Playing a role really well can elevate a player's profile because he excels in doing what he's asked. So even with flaws or being raw, good role play looks like a solid baseline / high floor to teams.

Conversely, they mentioned that Precious was to have a complementary role to Wiseman but because of the latter's departure, Precious was not only thrust into a far more central role, it was an out of position one, too. Plus he didn't have as much help as Williams did.

These insights put each player in a new light. I still love PatWill for us, but I am slightly tempered on him and more open about Precious.

Still not thrilled about Okoro - short arms, wonky shot, 6'6" F - sort of feels like far too much overlap with who we already have. But it's mostly a gut feeling about him, just not taking to him for whatever reason. I'm willing to be convinced otherwise, but hope I don't have to be.

Avdija / Hayes - awesome fits for us, no doubt.

Bubble revealed where we're headed, and the team, while lacking a clear star right now, certainly does not lack identity. What has brought us to great heights has sustained us through challenging times and continues to sustain us as we make our way there again.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Thinking of you, Pop :hug:
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#82 » by G R E Y » Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:39 pm

Oh. Interesting.
Read on Twitter

EDIT to add:
Read on Twitter

I would love it if Patrick Williams were our guy, but it's starting to feel like he's being used as a smokescreen, too. Maybe not by us, but there seem to be a lot of teams jumping on the PW bandwagon a day before the draft. I think they want to leverage our interest in PW so that the guy they want drops and they can facilitate a trade with us. Or we want someone not named PatWill to drop to us. Intrigue all around! We'll know soon!
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#83 » by G R E Y » Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:37 am

Some prizes are up for grabs for fans who watch the upcoming draft on the Official Spurs Fan Group on Facebook:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Re: 2020 SPURS DRAFT THREAD - NOVEMBER 18, 2020, 7PM (CT) 

Post#84 » by G R E Y » Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:04 pm

Time to temper expectations to limit disappointment should it come.

So we're good even if we stay at #11, ok? We'll get a good player and get to develop him so that he will have a solid foundation D-up and will be ready to contribute on both ends.

The tempering of expectations comes with news that the Hawks who we were rumoured to be sending DeMar to for a prospect or taking on salary for the #6 pick are now interested in trading for Gordon Hayward, potentially in a S&T. So if they're giving up players it will be for a two-way vet who will be there beyond the year.

Also, this morning this info:
Read on Twitter

Great. So the other big rumour linking us to moving up for potentially the #2 pick and Wiggins now has GSW pivoting to Chicago for a younger big and a higher pick in return.

'tis the season, but I wish we hadn't heard of our involvement in trying to move up. I still believe there's a market for LMA and DD, but these new rumours are a little bit deflating. That's how it goes, and we don't know how close, if at all, we came to making these moves. I can just as easily talk myself out of them - the #2 would likely net us Wiseman, and #6 whichever wing we like best, but the cost would be the contracts of Wiggins, Capela, and Dedmon. Not saying all of these deals would have come to fruition, but even if we took on either package, it's a case of a boatload of money for players we may not love coming back (and then those contracts are our problem to solve) and for no surefire game changers in this draft.

I'm just preparing myself for a high character, high floor 3&D Saddiq Bey as our absolute starting point without doing anything else but drafting. A tad underwhelming, but I admittedly know little about him, and if he turns out close to projected Middleton / Prince, it's a great pick to add to our young core. Far better Bey than risking on someone like Pokusevski right now.

But there is some light...

Here are two perspectives on our rumoured interests:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

First we're hearing of our strong OO interest, but I like it!

I just hope after all the whispers of our activity behind the scenes that we don't run it back with LMA and DD. We know how that works already. Perhaps a trade deadline deal or two, ok, because teams who have stability and familiarity have a stronger advantage than usual in a shortened season, but we need to give the young guys the bigger roles they showed in the bubble regardless.

But back to our rumoured targets - physical, athletic, multi-talented, two-way players. And in positions of need. Love love love it!

DRAFT DAY!
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#85 » by G R E Y » Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:28 pm

Aaaaaaaand back to Wiseman. Hooo there's a lot of smoke getting spread around.

Read on Twitter

Can't go wrong with any one - or combination of - Wiseman, OO, Patrick Williams or whoever else will be linked to us in the next few hours.

I'd LOVE to be in the room looking at how PATFO evaluate talent and rank them. Imagine getting to witness the decision making process, months or even years in the making, the preparations and adjustments to changing scenarios, making the final selection from among a group of players we're interested in.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 2,413

Post#86 » by SD2042 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:30 pm

Who would've ever thought the Spurs would be in trade rumors during the NBA Draft. Key decisions will be made on this night. Whoever the Spurs choose tonight will be another piece to the Spurs foundation. A player worth adding to the roster. Hopefully the fans will embrace the new player on the roster after this night.
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#87 » by G R E Y » Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:09 am

SD2042 wrote:Who would've ever thought the Spurs would be in trade rumors during the NBA Draft. Key decisions will be made on this night. Whoever the Spurs choose tonight will be another piece to the Spurs foundation. A player worth adding to the roster. Hopefully the fans will embrace the new player on the roster after this night.

Appreciate the good vibes, SD, thank you! I hope your Grizz get the guy you want, too.

A competitive team with a higher floor filled with more athletic, smart, selfless two-way players is what it looks like we're turning into. And if the bubble was any indication, a fun and dangerous one, too. I also think that new style of play may point to who we're looking to draft... time will tell...
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#88 » by G R E Y » Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:10 am

Late addition to our supposed interest list:
Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#89 » by G R E Y » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:31 am

WOW. PatWill off the board at #4!!!

Barring any trades, that's two of our top interests off the board...
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
imagump1313
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,253

Post#90 » by imagump1313 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:40 am

GREY 1769 wrote:WOW. PatWill off the board at #4!!!

Obi's dropping!!! :o
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#91 » by G R E Y » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:47 am

imagump1313 wrote:
GREY 1769 wrote:WOW. PatWill off the board at #4!!!

Obi's dropping!!! :o

Yep.

Teams seem to be focusing a lot more on D.

On Spurs Facebook, Sean mentioned that after he got drafted, he went into the Spurs' war room and at the back there was a chalk board with a list of names, at the top of which was the title: "Not Spurs" - players who didn't fit us. I think we still have such a list. I wonder who we have on the "Spurs" and "Not Spurs" list for this draft.

Aaaaaand now our third reportedly targeted prospect is off the board with OO... wow all three gone in the top six.

I hope any one of these will end up in a trade with us...
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#92 » by G R E Y » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:48 am

Aaaaand now Hayes is off the board... *sigh*

Unless we're involved in a trade, now it's to a second tier of favourites...
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
imagump1313
Lead Assistant

Post#93 » by imagump1313 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:52 am

Im afraid Tibbs wont let Obi pass. He wants to win now
imagump1313
Lead Assistant

Post#94 » by imagump1313 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:53 am

And............FML.
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#95 » by G R E Y » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:53 am

There goes Obi. NYK. Not a surprise. Connected with agency with Rose, and from NY.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#96 » by G R E Y » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:59 am

DENI TO WIZARDS - NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
imagump1313
Lead Assistant

Post#97 » by imagump1313 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:04 am

GREY 1769 wrote:DENI TO WIZARDS - NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Yeah, I thought for a second we might get lucky.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies

Post#98 » by SD2042 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:07 am

My thoughts is that Deni will be a project. I know the Spurs specialize in project players and are very methodical for their tactics. Now with some of the fans choices falling off the board. There's an opportunity to draft a player who is NBA ready. Don't get me wrong, there is still development to be done of course. I'm thinking Saddiq Bey or Devin Vassell here.

Another option could be to trade the pick. To where is anyone's guess.
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#99 » by G R E Y » Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:09 am

imagump1313 wrote:

But now we get to choose from among Haliburton and Vassell and whoever else...
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies

Post#100 » by SD2042 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:16 am

GREY 1769 wrote:
imagump1313 wrote:

But now we get to choose from among Haliburton and Vassell and whoever else...

Devin Vassell for the Spurs.

Can play between SG/SF. The 3 & D guy. He fits the Spurs culture.

Return to San Antonio Spurs