ImageImageImageImage

Official 2020 NBA Draft Thread Part 2

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

Howard Mass
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 15,648

Re: Official 2020 NBA Draft Thread Part 2 

Post#601 » by Howard Mass » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:03 am

Max Power wrote:I’m confounded by this pick. Does this mean Fultz is gone? I was very happy with Markelle this season considering he was practically a rookie. I don’t like Cole Anthony’s personality much. Count me as among the ones disappointed.

I think Magic took who they thought was BPA.

I had 5 guys (Hampton, Green, Maxey, Terry and Bey) ahead of him but Anthony was #18 on my overall Board of all players.

When you are picking in the middle of the Draft, it's usually about BPA and Cole Anthony could be the backup/third guard to start and he did play on a bad team last year.

Let's see what happens.
R.I.P. Dharam Raghubir (A.K.A. Magnumt)

:beer:
Danodez82
Ballboy
And1: 7

Post#602 » by Danodez82 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:03 am

Ok thanks
nymets1
Head Coach
And1: 1,353

Post#603 » by nymets1 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:03 am

Precious went #20 to the Miami Heat, I seen him play in person last year at UCF(Memphis at UCF).
"Bodysurfing and always drive with the windows down"

"UCF 2017 only undefeated national champions"
MagicStarwipe
RealGM
And1: 12,050

Post#604 » by MagicStarwipe » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:03 am

dsg2021 wrote:I had to endure like 5 years of Jameer hate from here and a few people irl just to see us draft another Jameer.

So I am happy to take that lesson forward. 1) This board will turn on him in 6 years, even if he lands an All Star appearance or two. Same as Jameer. 2) Any injury he has, especially for a critical playoffs, will only intensify this ‘new Jameer’ hate.

I hope he blows up big time and leaves ORL. I’ll love him, but we’re not the fanbase for him (outside of basic fans).

I've seen this said about a lot of our players but I've never seen it said this early :lol:
RealGM Classics - Oladipo's "rude" celebration comes back to bite him: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1358414
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,715

Post#605 » by basketballRob » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:03 am

Read on Twitter
?s=19

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM mobile app
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 12,923

Post#606 » by MagicMatic » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:04 am

Optimus_Steel wrote:I'm confused. The thing we need desperately is scoring from backcourt and sounds like Cole Anthony can score. Why are people so upset? 35% 3pt shooting, 75% FT line, there is potential to improve outside shooting it seems.

Fultz exists.
Cole isn’t a combo guard.
He was massively uninspiring against college competition.
Is he big enough to get to the rim in the nba ? Who knows.
Shot selection is questionable.
Pounds the ball.

I could go on.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,715

Post#607 » by basketballRob » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:04 am

MagicMatic wrote:
Optimus_Steel wrote:I'm confused. The thing we need desperately is scoring from backcourt and sounds like Cole Anthony can score. Why are people so upset? 35% 3pt shooting, 75% FT line, there is potential to improve outside shooting it seems.

Fultz exists.
He was massively uninspiring against college competition. Is he big enough to get to the rim ? Who knows.
Pounds the ball.

I could go on.
I think he's drafted to be a backup

Danodez82
Ballboy
And1: 7

Post#608 » by Danodez82 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:04 am

Ok thanks basketballRob
MasterGMer
Veteran
And1: 584

Post#609 » by MasterGMer » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:05 am

I was hoping for RJ Hampton. Dude probably has the highest ceiling

But Cole is nice. Dude has all the skills and capable of making shots, but he needs coaching. Coaching from Steve Clifford on shot selection. That is coachable. He would be in the rotation from day 1.

I hope we make some improvement this upcoming season.
Magic#1
General Manager
And1: 1,108

Post#610 » by Magic#1 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:06 am

Let DJ walk. Bring MCW back on another small deal. Fultz/Cole/MCW while experimenting with multi-guard lineups depending on injuries. At least we have some potential in our backcourt. The problem is we're banking on one of these guys to live up to their potential. That's hoping we strike the lottery.
Anfernee1
Senior
And1: 431

Post#611 » by Anfernee1 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:06 am

basketballRob wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=19

I heard Bamba and Cole are good friends
The Effect
Magic Forum Mock Draft Co-Champ
And1: 2,053

Post#612 » by The Effect » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:06 am

basketballRob wrote:
MagicMatic wrote:

Fultz exists.
He was massively uninspiring against college competition. Is he big enough to get to the rim ? Who knows.
Pounds the ball.

I could go on.

I dont

Maybe day 1 sure, but ill be shocked if he isnt a starter at SG\PG next to fultz by end of the year
X_O_Z
Junior
And1: 254

Post#613 » by X_O_Z » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:06 am

The Effect wrote:
X_O_Z wrote:
yoyojw17 wrote:The guy won at every level in his career and was the one that was always won best player in competitions....

... Has a bad year in a less than ideal situation....

And now he's garbage apparently. :roll:

I get it's not what people might envision.... But that down year might have been the biggest blessing for the magic and we could have just landed a top 5 talent.

The guy is obviously wired for basketball... And it's obvious it's his passion. Happy for this pick still... Even if there might have been others I wanted.

Welcome to Orlando Cole!

Man, and add to Chuma who was also a top 5 lottery pick before his injury and now add Cole who was literally top 5 pick this year if it wasn't for his knee injury plus with Markelle Fultz second year with us... :D

The Wizardly between Fultz and Cole will be crazy...My goodness.

:lol: Come on now, Chuma was the best spot up shooter and defender before that horrible injury. He was destine for the lottery atleast between 4-6th pick.
JBSouthpaw
Analyst
And1: 1,273

Post#614 » by JBSouthpaw » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:07 am

people don't realize how bad the UNC team was last year, Cole was pushed to take as many shots as he could.
He's smart, he'll adapt and be an asset in the 1st year.

Pre-Draft Analysis
Strengths
- Aggressive, confident scorer who has been productive at virtually every stop. Good open-court athlete who changes ends quickly. Creates space for himself with crossovers and step-backs going left. Can knock down pull-ups with range, change speeds and directions and initiate contact in the paint.
- Glimpses of competitiveness on the defensive end. Has shown the willingness to fight through ball screens. Quick hands and feet when fully engaged.
- Impressed NBA scouts at the Nike Academy, competing in every session and going toe-to-toe with NBA players. Plays with a lot of confidence. Can play off the ball some with ability to shoot off the catch.

Improvement areas
- Much more of a scorer than facilitator at this stage. Can make basic drop-offs and kickouts, but he's still learning how to manipulate defenses. Tends to pound the ball a little too much. Shot selection has room to improve.
- A bit streaky, shooting 35% from the high school 3-point line on 464 attempts and 35% from 3 at the collegiate level. Shows deep range and the ability to rise up in the midrange, but scouts will have a close eye on his consistency. Lacks finesse at the rim. Right-hand dominant finisher.
- While quick-footed and fairly strong for his height, average size and length limits his defensive versatility. Ball-watches defensively and gives up open looks to shooters. Does his production translate to winning?

Projected role: Shot-creating lead guard

--Mike Schmitz

Post-Draft Analysis
On the hunt for a guard to complement Markelle Fultz, the Magic elected to pull the trigger on Cole Anthony, one of the most explosive scorers in the draft.

Anthony saw his stock fall out of the top five in an injury-plagued and inefficient season. His perimeter shooting ability and unbridled confidence as a scorer will allow him to play behind as well as alongside Fultz, who has ample size to defend shooting guards, making for a potentially highly potent backcourt. -- Jonathan Givony
MaKiaVeLi7
Senior
And1: 417

Post#615 » by MaKiaVeLi7 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:07 am

Cole is explosive with the ball, dynamic guard, quick first step, feel for the game, versatile scorer, 20+ ppg threat any given night, good shooter and can play off the ball, which means great fit next to Fultz. Can take his defender off the dribble, scores in a variety of ways, hustle player....I mean what's not to like???

I see throughout the years many posters here complain about picking long boys with defensive potential, long arms and super athletic. Now, we pick the different breed for change and some of the same people over here are already starting to complain about not picking a guy with size. We just got a natural scorer and player with actual basketball skills and people are bitch**g about him being undersized, not high enough etc.
Come on guys, no need to turn the hate up like you did with Jameer in the beginning and late in his Magic career.
I hope Cole proves all haters wrong and becomes an all star in a Magic uni.
When we ride on our bball enemieZ!
Blue_and_Whte
RealGM
And1: 9,238

Post#616 » by Blue_and_Whte » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:08 am

Optimus_Steel wrote:
Anti Chalmers wrote:Happy with the pick. Finally we draft a scoring guard instead of long defensive guys hoping they’ll learn how to score.
This is a good change of pace for this front office. They actually drafted a scoring guard.

yeah I KNOW... Alpha dog scorer, super competitive. But I've always viewed him as a non-passing chucker but I GUESS it could be a product of the he played on.
Faith, Family, Basketball
#2A
#Adopt
The Effect
Magic Forum Mock Draft Co-Champ
And1: 2,053

Post#617 » by The Effect » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:09 am

X_O_Z wrote:
The Effect wrote:
X_O_Z wrote:
Man, and add to Chuma who was also a top 5 lottery pick before his injury and now add Cole who was literally top 5 pick this year if it wasn't for his knee injury plus with Markelle Fultz second year with us... :D

The Wizardly between Fultz and Cole will be crazy...My goodness.

:lol: Come on now, Chuma was the best spot up shooter and defender before that horrible injury. He was destine for the lottery atleast between 4-6th pick.

I mean he might of been a lotto guy but i doubt he was a top 5 pick...

But then again i didnt see patrick williams as a top 5 pick either so who knows
J-Mezzy
RealGM
And1: 3,218

Post#618 » by J-Mezzy » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:09 am

Hope last year was just a bad season for him and we get the top talent he was promised to be.

We desperately need a play maker and scorer...so here's to hoping

But not overtly excited. Hard to get excited given our track record
Thank you triplemke23 for the sig.
MagicStarwipe
RealGM
And1: 12,050

Post#619 » by MagicStarwipe » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:09 am

The Effect wrote:
basketballRob wrote:
MagicMatic wrote:
Fultz exists.
Pounds the ball.

I could go on.

I dont

Maybe day 1 sure, but ill be shocked if he isnt a starter at SG\PG next to fultz by end of the year

So Fournier at SF again?
RealGM Classics - Oladipo's "rude" celebration comes back to bite him: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1358414
Anfernee1
Senior
And1: 431

Post#620 » by Anfernee1 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:10 am

MaKiaVeLi7 wrote:Cole is explosive with the ball, dynamic guard, quick first step, feel for the game, versatile scorer, 20+ ppg threat any given night, good shooter and can play off the ball, which means great fit next to Fultz. Can take his defender off the dribble, scores in a variety of ways, hustle player....I mean what's not to like???

I see throughout the years many posters here complain about picking long boys with defensive potential, long arms and super athletic. Now, we pick the different breed for change and some of the same people over here are already starting to complain about not picking a guy with size. We just got a natural scorer and player with actual basketball skills and people are bitch**g about him being undersized, not high enough etc.
Come on guys, no need to turn the hate up like you did with Jameer in the beginning and late in his Magic career.
I hope Cole proves all haters wrong and becomes an all star in a Magic uni.

Magic fans would not be happy with anything

Return to Orlando Magic