Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Re: Official Nets 2020 Draft Thread 

Post#201 » by Prokorov » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:36 am

CalamityX12 wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
Shamet doenst need to shoot. just standing 24 feet from the hoop makes our stars better. Bey helps no one because he wouldnt play. he might help the LI Nets i suppose.

Bey at his ceiling may one day be as valuable as shamet is right now. Shamet makes the nets better. Bey does nothing for us

Feel like the comparison for one over the other is using extremes. You can say DL stint for any rookie..... I don’t think that was in the cards for Bey, especially in a current structure now.... why drafter anyone above 10 then if that’s the mindset?

Shamet does one thing that we weren’t in dire need(always a need with shooters) of when thinking about the rest of the roster...

We were in dire need of shooters. Temple likely wont be back and prince is filler in any trade we likely make. other then harris we dont have any elite floor spacers. and harris as of today isnt signed. it is VITAL to have floor spacers around our stars.

The idea that Bey is even close to being as impactful, as good a fit, as big a need, or could help us even 1/2 as much as shamet is absurd.

Clippers fans: WTF why did we move shamet for kennard?
Piston fans: should have cut out the nets and took shamet
GB: "who won the trade" Nets 40%, pistons 15%

every nets beat writer glowing over this deal.

Bey is one of those guys you hear about for a few weeks prior to the draft cause people see 3 & D and watch youtube highlights then 2 years later forget he is even in the league
3pt_chucker
Head Coach
And1: 2,002

Post#202 » by 3pt_chucker » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:37 am

I can't believe that people are so upset about this move? We are telegraphing a trade of at least 1 guard (Din or LeVert) and most likely Prince too. There is also FA(Ibaka could very well be signed)

Even still, Shamet is a great shooter already and will fit in well next to KD/Kyrie. We can keep elite shooting off the bench when Harris sits or may be hurt. This move fits our TL much better than any rookie is this draft would.

Him not being a defender is not a huge deal. He at least puts effort in and is not a total turnstyle.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#203 » by Prokorov » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:38 am

Nooooooooooooo

why does boston always take the guys i love going into the draft! loved pritchard. was hoping we could find a way to get him in round 2. didnt need us to take him but hate he is in boston
CalamityX12
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,532

Post#204 » by CalamityX12 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:39 am

Prokorov wrote:
CalamityX12 wrote:
NyCeEvO wrote:According to ClipsFanSince98, KD is a big fan of Shamet. Apparently, he was an important player to focus on for the Warriors defensively.

At least, you know why we traded for him lol.

Now I’m done with them... lol.... we gave them everything... this is stupid lol... why have GMs? Just need secretaries for these players if they’re making all the moves.....

Lost respect for Sean

Marks just made an outstanding trade for an elite young shooter and you are made because he didnt draft a guy who project to be a 10th man on a good team in maybe 3 years from now. If we want someone like bey we can get one for peanuts like how we got brown.

We wouldnt even of drafted bey because we need guys who can help us win during the Kyrie/KD window.

Yea KD wanted shamet, cause shamet is an elite shooter and guy who impacts the game. not bey, who you forget is on the team while he racks up DNPs and bounces back and forth between the d-league

We’ll see how great Shamet is when he’s the one often times sitting on the bench for cold shooting and at the same time, we continue to struggle on the court at the 3/4 spots.... yep. Can’t wait!

Of course, this is all based on current roster structure....
The ModFather

My sports teams are currently experiencing suckiness. Please pardon the mess.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#205 » by Prokorov » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:42 am

CalamityX12 wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
CalamityX12 wrote:Now I’m done with them... lol.... we gave them everything... this is stupid lol... why have GMs? Just need secretaries for these players if they’re making all the moves.....

Lost respect for Sean

Marks just made an outstanding trade for an elite young shooter and you are made because he didnt draft a guy who project to be a 10th man on a good team in maybe 3 years from now. If we want someone like bey we can get one for peanuts like how we got brown.

We wouldnt even of drafted bey because we need guys who can help us win during the Kyrie/KD window.

Yea KD wanted shamet, cause shamet is an elite shooter and guy who impacts the game. not bey, who you forget is on the team while he racks up DNPs and bounces back and forth between the d-league

We’ll see how great Shamet is when he’s the one often times sitting on the bench for cold shooting and at the same time, we continue to struggle on the court at the 3/4 spots.... yep. Can’t wait!

Of course, this is all based on current roster structure....

it doesnt matter if he makes or even take shots. he is a known elite shooter that teams cant and wont leave open. he will create elite spacing.

If you dont like shamet fine. but i just dont get this nonsense about being upset about some end of the bench low level rookie who will need ot bust his hump just to be in the league in a few years
CalamityX12
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#206 » by CalamityX12 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:43 am

Prokorov wrote:
CalamityX12 wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
Shamet doenst need to shoot. just standing 24 feet from the hoop makes our stars better. Bey helps no one because he wouldnt play. he might help the LI Nets i suppose.

Bey at his ceiling may one day be as valuable as shamet is right now. Shamet makes the nets better. Bey does nothing for us

Feel like the comparison for one over the other is using extremes. You can say DL stint for any rookie..... I don’t think that was in the cards for Bey, especially in a current structure now.... why drafter anyone above 10 then if that’s the mindset?

Shamet does one thing that we weren’t in dire need(always a need with shooters) of when thinking about the rest of the roster...

We were in dire need of shooters. Temple likely wont be back and prince is filler in any trade we likely make. other then harris we dont have any elite floor spacers. and harris as of today isnt signed. it is VITAL to have floor spacers around our stars.

The idea that Bey is even close to being as impactful, as good a fit, as big a need, or could help us even 1/2 as much as shamet is absurd.

Bey is one of those guys you hear about for a few weeks prior to the draft cause people see 3 & D and watch youtube highlights then 2 years later forget he is even in the league

Oh yea lol Temple wasn’t in my mind lol.. i already assumed his ass is grass(as should be). Prince best service is as a trade piece, he’s suppose to be what Bey can be but better.

I knew Bey before the bubble, limited all around prospects but Bey(along with others) was a prospect that filled the needs of what could make the team more successful and help key areas.
The ModFather

Hello Brooklyn
RealGM
And1: 12,878

Post#207 » by Hello Brooklyn » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:43 am

Jonathan Tjarks recently suggested that we might trade Dinwiddie, Levert, Allen for future 1st rounders and include them all along with 5 first round picks for Harden.

If thats the case then it makes more sense. We have to be doing something if were loading up on guards.
CalamityX12
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#208 » by CalamityX12 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:46 am

We’ll see how it fits... don’t like it, i luv me some elite shooters, i don’t see Shamet being elite and he provides nothing else on the court to make up for cold spells....

Sucks to see Din or Levert moved because of this guy... depends who’s coming in the end.

I’ve hijacked the thread enough with my disappointment, sorry everyone. cheers!

Totally missed the rest of the draft... seems ok, RJ Hampton went to like 3 teams lol
The ModFather

MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,849

Post#209 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:47 am

NyCeEvO wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
Hello Brooklyn wrote:The more I think about this trade the more I hate it.

Why not take a 3 & D guy? The Clippers didn't even play Shamet in the playoffs. How was he worth a first round pick?

Think bigger picture. We just suddenly traded for two guards within the last 48 hours. why?

At the same time, neither Brown nor Shamet are better than Dinwiddie or LeVert.

I don’t think this necessarily mean both will be traded, but I’m sure this roster isn’t close to final yet regardless of whether we trade for Harden. There’s definitely more to come, so we just need to wait and see what ultimately will happen.

Shamet is a better shooter than both, doesn't need to be ball dominant to contribute. Brown is a dog defender, something neither Spencer or Caris are.

It's about fit and constructing the best roster around KD and Kyrie.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#210 » by Prokorov » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:48 am

CalamityX12 wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
CalamityX12 wrote:Feel like the comparison for one over the other is using extremes. You can say DL stint for any rookie..... I don’t think that was in the cards for Bey, especially in a current structure now.... why drafter anyone above 10 then if that’s the mindset?

Oh yea lol Temple wasn’t in my mind lol.. i already assumed his ass is grass(as should be). Prince best service is as a trade piece, he’s suppose to be what Bey can be but better.

I knew Bey before the bubble, limited all around prospects but Bey(along with others) was a prospect that filled the needs of what could make the team more successful and help key areas.

in 3 years bey may have helped us in a handful of minutes

shamet is helping us from day 1 for 20-25 minutes a game.

Guys like Shamet are super rare. There are alot of excellent knock down shooters. there are few who can shoot 40% from deep while coming off screens, off balance, hand in the face, little aird space, and then when you take away the deep look can put it on the floor, finish at the rim, and put pressure on the D beyond standing in the corner

he is like harris only with a 40 inch verticle. high bbiq and super pesky.

this should be a move nets fans are in love with.
MGrand15
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,758

Post#211 » by MGrand15 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:48 am

Don't really get the exaggeration on both sides here.

Bey might be really good. He might also just be James Ennis. It's hard to tell with rookies but they're RARELY positive contributors in year 1 even when they're good. We're trying to contend. In the prospect thread, we were all talking months ago how this pick was most likely getting traded regardless. This shouldn't be a surprise.

As for Shamet. It kind of feels like you guys badly need a refresher on his game and how he's not just some stand still shooter:

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#212 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:51 am

Prokorov wrote:
CalamityX12 wrote:
Prokorov wrote:

I'm not sure how anyone could have seen Shamet play over the last few seasons and be upset.

We need win now players. We don't need kids who need time to grow, we need to hit the ground running. We're trying to win a championship.

This isn't two years ago anymore. KD is 100%. Kyrie is ready to go. Guys are about to get traded for an upgrade in talent. We need guys who know their NBA roles and perform them well.

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#213 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:52 am

MGrand15 wrote:
As for Shamet. It kind of feels like you guys badly need a refresher on his game and how he's not just some stand still shooter:

Some folks never watched Shamet play, and you can tell. They're acting like he's some bum.

Prokorov
RealGM

Post#214 » by Prokorov » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:53 am

CalamityX12 wrote:We’ll see how it fits... don’t like it, i luv me some elite shooters, i don’t see Shamet being elite and he provides nothing else on the court to make up for cold spells....

Did Shamet kick your dog or something? :D

He is undebatable an elite shooter. He has proven that for 2 years now. I'm sorry a couple bubble games he was off and ONLY shot 36% from deep in what for him is a slump.

also "nothing else" is also absurd. like harris he is more then just a catch and shoot player. he can get to the rim if you take away the shot. he also has outstanding court vision, a high iq and while overall not a great defender gets a ton of steals, deflections, and blocks because of how athletic and pesky he is
Sharcm1
Veteran
And1: 688

Post#215 » by Sharcm1 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:53 am

Everyone going on and on about how shamet is better than taking a player like Bey etc. I understand it. We know what shamet can do. But it’s not always about the better player. Sometimes it’s about the best fit and the need. And yes it seems that other moves will happen. But they haven’t happened yet. And if they don’t happen the the team is greatly missing a pf and defense sf. And will have many many guards. Didn’t everyone want to resign Tyler Johnson. Well not now. Is shamet better than Johnson ? Don’t forget as of right now we have Irving, Dinwiddie, levert, brown, plus if we keep Johnson and chioza. Now let’s add another guard. Yes moves are coming. But we don’t what they are.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#216 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:55 am

CalamityX12 wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
CalamityX12 wrote:Now I’m done with them... lol.... we gave them everything... this is stupid lol... why have GMs? Just need secretaries for these players if they’re making all the moves.....

Lost respect for Sean

We’ll see how great Shamet is when he’s the one often times sitting on the bench for cold shooting

He's a career 40% 3pt shooter my guy what are you talking about?

CalamityX12
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#217 » by CalamityX12 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:56 am

Good lord, Bane??? Boston walks out with Nesmeth and Bane! Lol that’s not fair ... great pick at the end IMO
The ModFather

CalamityX12
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#218 » by CalamityX12 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:57 am

Prokorov wrote:
CalamityX12 wrote:
Prokorov wrote:

in 3 years bey may have helped us in a handful of minutes

shamet is helping us from day 1 for 20-25 minutes a game.

Guys like Shamet are super rare. There are alot of excellent knock down shooters. there are few who can shoot 40% from deep while coming off screens, off balance, hand in the face, little aird space, and then when you take away the deep look can put it on the floor, finish at the rim, and put pressure on the D beyond standing in the corner

he is like harris only with a 40 inch verticle. high bbiq and super pesky.

this should be a move nets fans are in love with.

Then why did the Clippers part with Shamet?
The ModFather

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#219 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:57 am

Sharcm1 wrote:Everyone going on and on about how shamet is better than taking a player like Bey etc. I understand it. We know what shamet can do. But it’s not always about the better player. Sometimes it’s about the best fit and the need. And yes it seems that other moves will happen. But they haven’t happened yet. And if they don’t happen the the team is greatly missing a pf and defense sf. And will have many many guards. Didn’t everyone want to resign Tyler Johnson. Well not now. Is shamet better than Johnson ? Don’t forget as of right now we have Irving, Dinwiddie, levert, brown, plus if we keep Johnson and chioza. Now let’s add another guard. Yes moves are coming. But we don’t what they are.

Bey could go on to become an excellent pro, however, Shamet is a proven NBA commodity that fits a role on a team that is having it's offense designed by Mike D'Antoni. Think about it for a minute.

NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets
And1: 6,082

Post#220 » by NyCeEvO » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:58 am

MrDollarBills wrote:
NyCeEvO wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
Think bigger picture. We just suddenly traded for two guards within the last 48 hours. why?

At the same time, neither Brown nor Shamet are better than Dinwiddie or LeVert.

I don’t think this necessarily mean both will be traded, but I’m sure this roster isn’t close to final yet regardless of whether we trade for Harden. There’s definitely more to come, so we just need to wait and see what ultimately will happen.

Shamet is a better shooter than both, doesn't need to be ball dominant to contribute. Brown is a dog defender, something neither Spencer or Caris are.

It's about fit and constructing the best roster around KD and Kyrie.

In addition to shooting, you still need multiple ball handlers/creators in today’s game as well as insurance at the guard spot for an injury prone Kyrie. Brown and Shamet can’t hold a candle to Din or LeVert’s PG abilities.

I am not pitting Brown & Shamet against LeVert & Dinwiddie, especially because I don’t think it’s a lock both are gone. I can easily see one of them staying, and if Marks deems Dinwiddie to be valuable enough for our roster this season, he could keep both of them.

I’m against judging the impact of any of these trades, since there’s so much that can happen to our roster between now and the start of the season.

Seems like a lot of people are getting overly defensive of any move or non-move. I’m just chilling.

Return to Brooklyn Nets