Draft Day Thread

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Re: Draft Day Thread 

Post#121 » by stitches » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:28 am

KqWIN wrote:New pick! I don’t like Hughes...but this is better I guess. The thought process is there if you like him.

Read on Twitter
    ?s=21

I know nothing about him... what's he like? Is he like... a regular low-efficiency scorer?
    KqWIN
    RealGM
    And1: 6,360

Post#122 » by KqWIN » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:35 am

stitches wrote:
      KqWIN wrote:New pick! I don’t like Hughes...but this is better I guess. The thought process is there if you like him.

Read on Twitter
      ?s=21

I know nothing about him... what's he like? Is he like... a regular low-efficiency scorer?

He's a shot creator...but if you're a shot creator in the second round you're probably not good enough to be a shot creator in the NBA. One thing that stuck out to me was his strong rim finishing numbers and he appears to have a versatile jumpshot...but I didn't see anything special here. Overall just a very meh prospect.
      SoCalJazzFan
      Assistant Coach
      And1: 1,015

Post#123 » by SoCalJazzFan » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:38 am

The Jazz literally could have traded #23 for either the 76ers or Thunder picks in the 40s and 50s and got the same players. Who is evaluating talent and making these decisions?!?
      WinterSoldier
      Junior
      And1: 182

Post#124 » by WinterSoldier » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:43 am

Hughes is a 22 year old, high volume, low percentage 3pt shooter. bad defender with a short wingspan. basically not much too be excited about.
      reapaman
      Assistant Coach
      And1: 1,220

Post#125 » by reapaman » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:44 am

stitches wrote:

Read on Twitter
        ?s=21

He’s primarily a 3 point shooter and slasher in transition that was Syracuse’s primary scorer out of necessity. Must prove he can play good defense outside a 2-3 zone. I assume the thinking is he can eventually be converted to a 3 and D guy, but could be a tough transition despite the potential.
        BRING JAMAAL FRANKLIN TO UTAH!!!!!
        babyjax13
        RealGM
        And1: 14,200

Post#126 » by babyjax13 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:44 am

Not super crazy about the decisions in this draft, although I did have Udoka as a first round pick until...today when I moved him down to 38 in my mock, lol. Hughes, meh, would have preferred Woodard.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
        KqWIN
        RealGM

Post#127 » by KqWIN » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:47 am

WinterSoldier wrote:Hughes is a 22 year old, high volume, low percentage 3pt shooter. bad defender with a short wingspan. basically not much too be excited about.

He's sort of a classic, 3&D prospect with iffy three point shooting and defense :lol: I mean....that's what you get when drafting at #39. Very disappointing when we could have gotten Bane at #27, who is a much better prospect imo. At least you know Bane can shoot.
        babyjax13
        RealGM

Post#128 » by babyjax13 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:51 am

KqWIN wrote:
        WinterSoldier wrote:Hughes is a 22 year old, high volume, low percentage 3pt shooter. bad defender with a short wingspan. basically not much too be excited about.

He's sort of a classic, 3&D prospect with iffy three point shooting and defense :lol: I mean....that's what you get when drafting at #39. Very disappointing when we could have gotten Bane at #27, who is a much better prospect imo. At least you know Bane can shoot.

Hate drafting Syracuse players, they almost always suck. Really hope Zannik is good enough to be seeing things we don't. Based on who the Knicks drafted, I feel like Perrin was the talent in the FO that should have been offered the GM job. I love everything they did. Oturo+Quickley+Toppin is a nice infusion of talent for them.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
        babyjax13
        RealGM

Post#129 » by babyjax13 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:52 am

I will give him this, though, that form looks like it should hit on way better than 34% of his threes...so, we will see.

JColl
        babyjax13
        RealGM

Post#130 » by babyjax13 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:53 am

JColl
        stitches
        RealGM

Post#131 » by stitches » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:56 am

Read on Twitter
        KqWIN
        RealGM

Post#132 » by KqWIN » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:56 am

babyjax13 wrote:Not super crazy about the decisions in this draft, although I did have Udoka as a first round pick until...today when I moved him down to 38 in my mock, lol. Hughes, meh, would have preferred Woodard.

When we look back, Udoka is probably going to look like a fine pick. I think he has a good chance to find a place in this league. I just thought it was bizarre to pass up on Bane, trade Bradley, and start the development process for your backup big again. Perhaps they can redeem themselves in FA because they saved some money here. As much as I hated Bradley, he did get much better and was a good offensive C.

Hughes is the most meh prospect ever :lol: Bane had elite shooting and good toughness. McDaniels had size, pedigree, and unique skills for his size. Woodard has the best physical profile in the draft. Bey had a great statistical profile.

What makes Hughes special? I guess his jumper off the dribble....but who believes he's actually going to pull that off in the league? I believe in Mason Jones and his ability to get buckets way more than Hughes.

http://www.tankathon.com/players/compare?players=elijah-hughes--mason-jones
        babyjax13
        RealGM

Post#133 » by babyjax13 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:58 am

stitches wrote:
        Read on Twitter

Okay, so we paid 38 to dump Bradley, then traded a future second for 39. It's whatever, it opens up the full MLE if we stretch Bradley and now we can retain Clarkson, so in the end I think it's fine.

JColl
        sip
        Rookie
        And1: 1,297

Post#134 » by sip » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:58 am

babyjax13 wrote:I will give him this, though, that form looks like it should hit on way better than 34% of his threes...so, we will see.
        He has a solid shooting stroke and he shoots it pretty effortlessly from deep. I think he is likely to round into a high 30's 3pt shooter.

Sent from my SM-G988U using RealGM mobile app
        AingesBurner
        RealGM
        And1: 3,735

Post#135 » by AingesBurner » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:06 am

Udoka definitely feels like an eventual Rudy replacement.
        Ingles is cooked.
        sip
        Rookie

Post#136 » by sip » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:17 am

We need to be on the phone with Devin Dotsons agent right now.

stitches
        RealGM

Post#137 » by stitches » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:25 am

This FO is stuck in the 90s. We drafted a 90s center 3 years ago and now not only haven't we learned but we had to give up a good second rounder in order to dump the previous bust we drafted and replaced him with another traditional center whose ceiling is being 10 minutes sub for Rudy. Ridiculous. Oh and he shoots in the 30s from FT! Can he even play in the league with that type of FT shooting? He will get hacked all the time.

When the hell are we going to learn that using our best draft assets for backup bigs is not wise allocation of resources? This is so bad...
        Catchall
        RealGM
        And1: 10,191

Post#138 » by Catchall » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:30 am

Welp. I'm of the opinion that you use the draft to get potential starters and players with star potential. The Jazz could have done nothing today, played golf all afternoon, and drafted RJ Hampton at #23. Bolmaro and McDaniels were available as well.

Now maybe the Jazz believe in the potential of Azubuike, and Elijah Hughes is as ready to step into a rotation spot at the wing as any player in the draft. Time will tell. Other teams like OKC, Dallas and Denver were aggressive at moving around the board to gather high-upside assets, while the Jazz were pretty content to stick to a fairly conservative script.

I guess we'll see how it works out.
        He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
        Catchall
        RealGM
        And1: 10,191

Post#139 » by Catchall » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:32 am

KqWIN wrote:

Hughes is functionally like a more athletic Rodney Hood. He might play a bit of defense though.
        He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
        sip
        Rookie

Post#140 » by sip » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:33 am

The winner of the night for me is Dallas. They snagged 2 defensive wings in Josh Richardson and Bey for Curry and then replace Curry with Tyrell Terry.

Return to Utah Jazz